• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Crusader Kings 3 Dev Diary #39 - Achievements Showcase

Greetings, dear friends, and welcome to the final pre-release dev diary! Today, we’ll be doing something nice and light, since we know you’re all hyped for the release next month, and couldn’t possibly stand the tension otherwise.

So, with that in mind, let’s have a look at what achievements you can get, and the ways of getting them. As we’re so close to release, we’ll be taking a gander at the full list!

… With apologies in advance for the puns. -_- They forced me to implement them.

a_house_of_my_own_achievement.png
a_legacy_to_last_the_ages_achievement.png
a_name_known_throughout_the_world_achievement.png
a_perfect_circle_achievement.png
above_god_achievement.png
al_andalus_achievement.png

1. A House of my Own: create a cadet branch of your dynasty.
  2. A Legacy to Last the Ages: complete an entire dynasty legacy path.
  3. A Name Known Throughout the World: have your dynasty reach the highest possible level of renown.
  4. A Perfect Circle: have only two distinct parents, grandparents, and great grandparents, counting absent ancestors as individual characters.
  5. Above God: have a strong hook on your head of faith.
  6. Al-Andalus: starting as an Iberian Muslim, control all of Iberia and take the Avenge the Battle of Tours decision.
almost_there_achievement.png
an_unfortunate_accident_achievement.png
bad_blood_achievement.png
beacon_of_progress_achievement.png
blood_eagle_achievement.png
carolingian_consolidation_achievement.png

1. Álmost There: as Álmos Árpád, form Hungary & convert to Christianity.
  2. An Unfortunate Accident: inherit a title from someone via murder.
  3. Bad Blood: go to war with one of your siblings over a claim.
  4. Beacon of Progress: have your culture unlock all innovations, excluding regional and culture-specific innovations.
  5. Blood Eagle: starting as any child of Ragnarr Lothbrok, conquer all of the British Isles.
  6. Carolingian Consolidation: starting as a Karling, be the only independent Karling to hold a landed title.
celebrity_achievement.png
death_did_us_part_achievement.png
dreadful_ruler_achievement.png
end_of_an_era_achievement.png
fine_print_achievement.png
followed_by_shadows_achievement.png

1. Celebrity: reach the highest possible level of fame.
  2. Death Did Us Part: murder your spouse.
  3. Dreadful Ruler: have the maximum amount of dread.
  4. End of an Era: play until 1453.
  5. Fine Print: use a hook to modify a feudal contract.
  6. Followed by Shadows: know ten secrets simultaneously.
for_the_faith_achievement.png
frankokratia_achievement.png
from_rags_to_riches_achievement.png
give_a_dog_a_bone_achievement.png
going_places_achievement.png
its_not_a_cult_achievement.png

1. For the Faith: take part in a successful Great Holy War, on either side.
  2. Frankokratia: as a French Catholic, hold and completely control the Kingdom of Thessalonika without holding or being vassalised to the Byzantine Empire.
  3. From Rags to Riches: starting as a count, lead your line to rule an empire.
  4. Give a Dog a Bone: starting as Matilda of Tuscany, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of Italy, have at least fifty living dynasty members, and found a Holy Order.
  5. Going Places: as Haesteinn of Montaigu in 867, hold any kingdom-tier title.
  6. It’s not a Cult: create a faith.
keeping_it_in_the_family_achievement.png
kings_to_the_seventh_generation_achievement.png
know_your_place_achievement.png
land_of_the_rus_achievement.png
last_count_first_king_achievement.png
monumental_achievement.png

1. Keeping it in the Family: have a child with the inbred trait.
  2. Kings to the Seventh Generation: starting as Count Eudes of Anjou in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of France.
  3. Know Your Place: defeat a faction in war.
  4. Land of the Rus: starting as Rurik the Troublemaker in 867, lead your dynasty to rule the Empire of Russia.
  5. Last Count, First King: starting as Duke Nuno of Portucale in 1066, form Portugal.
  6. Monumental: fully upgrade a duchy building anywhere in your personal domain.
mother_of_us_all_achievement.png
moving_up_in_the_world_achievement.png
non_nobis_domine_achievement.png
norman_yoke_achievement.png
not_so_feudal_system_achievement.png
paragon_of_virtue_achievement.png

1. Mother of Us All: starting as Magajiva Daura, reform an African pagan faith, and convert all counties in Africa to it.
  2. Moving up in the World: increase your rank.
  3. Non Nobis Domine: found a holy order.
  4. Norman Yoke: starting as William the Bastard in 1066, win the Norman Invasion, become English, and have only English Vassals below you in the Kingdom of England.
  5. Not So Feudal System: use the claim throne scheme successfully.
  6. Paragon of Virtue: have three or more virtuous traits.
prolific_achievement.png
reconquista_achievement.png
rise_from_the_ashes_achievement.png
royal_dignity_achievement.png
saint_achievement.png
seductive_achievement.png

1. Prolific: have one hundred living dynasty members.
  2. Reconquista: starting as an Iberian Christian, convert all of Iberia to Christianity.
  3. Rise from the Ashes: restore the Roman Empire.
  4. Royal Dignity: starting as Vratislav Premyslid in 1066, lead your dynasty to rule the Kingdom of Bohemia & the Holy Roman Empire simultaneously.
  5. Saint: reach the highest possible level of devotion.
  6. Seductive: as any one character, successfully seduce ten people.
seven_holy_cities_achievement.png
sibling_rivalry_achievement.png
stressful_situation_achievement.png
the_emerald_isle_achievement.png
the_emperors_new_clothes_achievement.png
the_succession_is_safe_achievement.png

1. Seven Holy Cities: as a Hindu ruler, hold all seven Hindu holy sites at the same time.
  2. Sibling Rivalry: starting as any of the Jimena siblings in 1066, become Emperor of Spain.
  3. Stressful Situation: suffer a mental break.
  4. The Emerald Isle: starting as an Irish ruler, hold the Kingdom of Ireland.
  5. The Emperor’s New Clothes: while holding any empire title, be naked.
  6. The Succession is Safe: have ten living children.
the_things_love_does_for_us_achievement.png
the_things_we_do_for_love_achievement.png
trapped_in_the_web_achievement.png
turning_to_diamonds_achievement.png
until_death_do_us_part_achievement.png
way_of_life_achievement.png

1. The Things Love Does for Us: have a lover save you from a murder attempt.
  2. The Things We Do for Love: murder your lover’s spouse.
  3. Trapped in the Web: have strong hooks on three direct vassals.
  4. Turning to Diamonds: reach the highest possible stress level.
  5. Until Death Do Us Part: marry another character.
  6. Way of Life: obtain every perk in a lifestyle.
what_nepotism_achievement.png
wily_as_the_fox_achievement.png

1. What Nepotism?: have your dynasty rule ten independent realms of at least kingdom tier simultaneously.
  2. Wily as the Fox: starting as Robert the Fox in 1066, rule the Kingdom of Sicily, hold either the Kingdom of Epirus, Hellas, or Thessalonika, and convert all of its original counties to Catholicism.

And with that, we come to the end of the showcase! Anything here that particularly caught your eye, or something you’d like to have seen? I’ll be hanging around in the comments for a couple of hours afterwards, per the usual, so feel free to tag me with any questions you may have.

• 119Like
  • 50Love
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
I much prefer this version of the Norman Yoke achievement. How much better the world would have been if the Normans anglicised

My english lessons as a french student would have been 100X more difficult :p.Thank you Guillaume !

• 5Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
"Álmost there" as a hungarian never heard this one before, so you can get my hungarian approval. At least not another Hung(a)ry joke.

Last edited:
  • 9Haha
  • 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I'm a little concerned there are no achievements mentioned related to Crusades or taking Jerusalem/founding the kingdom thereof. Are there achievements that weren't mentioned to keep us further in suspense?
Ah, ye've missed "For the Faith", my friend. It's just not Jerusalem-specific, though Catholicism will usually go for Jerusalem over most other targets. Otherwise, this is the full list.

I am also very disappointed there's no achievement to form England as Alfred or one of his descendants. That's a serious missed opportunity. :(

@Wokeg
Honestly, I spend far too much time talking up Alfred at every available opportunity as-is. :p Rest assured, whilst he may not have a related achievement, he's well looked after.

Waaay too many easy achievements.

I understand that there need to be some easy achievements, but where once that was 5-10 maybe 15, it seems to be the bulk of them are easy.

Common occurences such as getting married or having a stress break have no value as achievements.

How many cool challenges were sacrificed so that we could give new players this many easy achievements?
Hmm, I'd estimate maybe... about 1? :) It's a valid concern ye've got, and it's certainly something we were aware of when picking which achievement ideas to go with. The simple achievements here are really rather easy to set up, usually being a very flat check, and anything more complex takes a little more time to hook in elegantly and test. The easy achievements we have were decided to be a good amount of beginner achievements without sacrificing anything more interesting to do. Apart from Death Do Us Part, which is just a setup for Death Did Us Part, which I, personally, find absolutely hilarious, but I'm rather a simple sort of guy.

Do hastein and others still start with event troops or is that scrapped as a game mechanic?
Hasteinn and a number of other rulers do indeed have event troops, or can spawn them via event/decision.

• 19Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
with that, we come to the end of the showcase! Anything here that particularly caught your eye, or something you’d like to have seen? I’ll be hanging around in the comments for a couple of hours afterwards, per the usual, so feel free to tag me with any questions you may have.
I'd have liked to see a showcase of the different regions of the world, and how they differ from the standard European gameplay, but I guess that ship has sailed.
I suppose we'll see next week if PDX has truly stuck to their guns.

• 4Like
Reactions:
  • 9Haha
Reactions:
Because successful raids would eventually lead to conquest? As happened in Anatolia?

Sure, it could have, I'll admit raids were a way to now the terrain. But it didn't happen, so we will never know - and the Umayyads had other things to worry about anyway. But that's not what "avenging the battle of Tours" means. I won't debate that it helped establish Frank dominance over the region, but it's not a symbol at the time. There's nothing much to avenge, if a lost battle (of which we don't even truly know the configuration) among a whole bunch of lost battles (which didn't mean they abandonned the whole region). The major defeat, in their eyes, was the siege of Constantinople, in 718; and muslim sources regarding Tours are scarce.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm holding this way too close to heart, but in France this event has been mythified beyond reason and is still, to this day, instrumentalized by far right figures, who conflate it with a "civilization clash" - so it's a tad sensible a subject. I won't complain if "avenge the battle of Tours" is portrayed as "get the expansion going once again", but seeing how this event is constantly being portrayed, I'm not really hopeful.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Yeah I also have this feeling, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't imagine a configuration of parents/grandparents/great grandparents of less than three individuals that can produce one single descendant.

Three generations of sibling parents

Which means that each married couple has the same parents for both, which is what I understood of it, though that would make more of a perfectly straight ladder than a circle

Reactions:
Hasteinn and a number of other rulers do indeed have event troops, or can spawn them via event/decision.
So as retinues got swapped to men at arms, does this mean tribals are back to having decision making armies? Do Muslims get decisions to invite ghazi, or just regular raise raiding army interaction?

Three generations of sibling parents

Which means that each married couple has the same parents for both, which is what I understood of it, though that would make more of a perfectly straight ladder than a circle
Aaaaah, thank you!

I thought that the two distinct characters in question would have to be your parents/grandparents/great grandparents at the same time.

I'm not sure if learning the truth made me feel more comfortable though...

• 6Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
How realistic would it be to attempt to get all of these achievements before the release of the first flavour pack? ;)

• 4Haha
Reactions:
Ah, ye've missed "For the Faith", my friend. It's just not Jerusalem-specific, though Catholicism will usually go for Jerusalem over most other targets. Otherwise, this is the full list.

Forgive me if that makes me a bit uneasy about the importance of Crusades and the focus placed upon them in terms of game design. We'll know all soon enough, though! Thank you for the clarification.

Hmm, I'd estimate maybe... about 1? :) It's a valid concern ye've got, and it's certainly something we were aware of when picking which achievement ideas to go with. The simple achievements here are really rather easy to set up, usually being a very flat check, and anything more complex takes a little more time to hook in elegantly and test. The easy achievements we have were decided to be a good amount of beginner achievements without sacrificing anything more interesting to do. Apart from Death Do Us Part, which is just a setup for Death Did Us Part, which I, personally, find absolutely hilarious, but I'm rather a simple sort of guy.

Not sure if it'd be elegant, but maybe you could have made some of the character-exclusive achievs be literally exclusive to them, aka my man Álmos - and not his descendants - has to form Hungary by himself.

• 1Like
Reactions: