• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
Summer is here and work in Sweden is grinding to a halt. Everyone has shed their winter skin and developed a peculiar form of photosynthesis, and are now idly vegetating in parks and lawns around the country. The season really is tragically short here… I myself am likely doing the same today, trying to develop some sorely needed vitamin D. That’s why I wrote this dev diary last week; it’s all about planning ahead, which brings me to the topic of the week - the future of Crusader Kings II.

Is it time to let go after 11 (soon to be 12) expansions? Not a chance! There are still some areas left to explore, and when we finally decide the time has come, I want the game to be in the best shape possible. We’ll soon be announcing the upcoming expansion, which is slated for release in late August. It’s not a huge one this time around, but there is plenty of good stuff in there as you've probably gleaned from Darkrenown's diaries. After that, we have two more expansions teed up. The first will be somewhat similar to Way of Life in scope and theme, and the second one will likely be huge. After that, it might really be time to let go, but it’s also possible we’ll wind down with another small expansion (nr 15).

We learned some valuable lessons with Horse Lords and Conclave, both when it comes to design and implementation. Crusader Kings II is an old dog now, and it’s getting harder to teach it new tricks. It is unlikely that we’ll mess around with the core gameplay mechanics like we did in Conclave. Instead, we’ll optimize the game and improve the AI (sorely needed, though I've done some work on it for the upcoming patch) and moddability in the free updates, and focus on roleplaying features and quality of life stuff in the expansions. That said, there are still some blanks in the Old World; rulers you cannot play and regions not yet covered…

I'm afraid that will be all this week. Back to my sun lounger... where's my Gin and Tonic? Oh, and let the speculation commence!

Reactions:
Rated helpful because GT.

Reactions:
All I need is optimisation, really, the rest can be done up with mods, but the sweet sweet gamespeed needs to upped, it gets really agonising in the endgame.
Also fixed Danube please I beg of you oh great devgods! :D

Reactions:
Thank you. It is good to have an official roadmap so all the discussion of "when should development of more DLC stop and CK3 become the next big thing". Now we have an official reply.

I think it's good that the end is in sight. CK2 is and has been great, but so many layers have been added on to it that the onion is becoming sort of cumbersome to cut through. I imagine that CK3 in 2-5 years will be a huge task to accomplish to replace CK2 with all of its expansions.

Reactions:
"That said, there are still some blanks in the Old World; rulers you cannot play and regions not yet covered…"

Rulers you cannot play...? Theocracies? Inland republics?

What? Does that mean there's a chance of playable theocratic leaders? Not a fan, but huh... Or inland republics? I'm confused...

The same thought I! Theocracies and Inland Republics are the only missing spots, right?

Reactions:
I am liking the idea of you guys continuing the path of Crusader Kings 2, since it´s just the best grand strategy medieval game out there. I would also love to see China in Crusader Kings 2, although i am sure this would be pretty hard for you guys, but a man can dream.

Also i would like to ask, if you plan to fix the Multiplayer? I recently tried a game out with some of my friends and it was horrible. Oos after the first few months while lagging couldn´t be avoided. Especially a game like Ck2 is fun to play with friends, that is why i am hoping for a fix for it .-.

Reactions:
That said, there are still some blanks in the Old World; rulers you cannot play and regions not yet covered…
Are you telling us we will eventually play with theocracies or inland republics?

Reactions:
Optimization, AI improvement and new regions (China confirmed?) - seems fine by me if you implement it properly. Very excited for what the next year will bring us.

Reactions:
The same thought I! Theocracies and Inland Republics are the only missing spots, right?

They are the only ones currentlyu missing in the areas which are now unlocked. If Northern Africa got expanded one could see this implemented:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...lam-new-govts-bookmark-cadet-branches.905195/

Before Horse Lords hordes were represented as Tribal, so re-working Tribal Arab Muslims to Qabila or other such government-changing shenanigans might happen...

But who knows?

Reactions:
What CK2 will really need after the last DLC comes out is a damn good guide to help other people get into this game. Is the community up to the challenge?

I know sooooooo many people who are interested in CK2 but don't have the patience to learn how to play. Thing is, playing CK2 is actually pretty simple. It's learning how to play that's the challenge. A guide that showed people the fundamentals and reminded them what to do everytime a character dies or they load up a save-game (check rebellions, check vassal opinions, check hostile CBs, etc) would go a long way I think.

Reactions:
So, we can expect a CK2 retirement party next year at around this time?

Ah, it's been a great ride!

Reactions:
Really, really glad to hear you are not going to tinker with the core mechanics anymore. Elated you're going to work on optimisation. With the options menu coming up, I'm more excited to play CK2 than I have been in a very long time. And I'm actually really looking forward these future DLCs, something I haven't been doing for a while. This was a short, but fantastic DD. Enjoy the summer!

Reactions:
What CK2 will really need after the last DLC comes out is a damn good guide to help other people get into this game. Is the community up to the challenge?

I know sooooooo many people who are interested in CK2 but don't have the patience to learn how to play. Thing is, playing CK2 is actually pretty simple. It's learning how to play that's the challenge. A guide that showed people the fundamentals and reminded them what to do everytime a character dies or they load up a save-game (check rebellions, check vassal opinions, check hostile CBs, etc) would go a long way I think.
Well, when development halts the wiki might finally catch up with the game ;)

Reactions:
Is it time to let go after 11 (soon to be 12) expansions? Not a chance! There are still some areas left to explore, and when we finally decide the time has come, I want the game to be in the best shape possible. We’ll soon be announcing the upcoming expansion, which is slated for release in late August. It’s not a huge one this time around, but there is plenty of good stuff in there as you've probably gleaned from Darkrenown's diaries. After that, we have two more expansions teed up. The first will be somewhat similar to Way of Life in scope and theme, and the second one will likely be huge. After that, it might really be time to let go, but it’s also possible we’ll wind down with another small expansion (nr 15).

A few things need to be clarified, first the upcoming expansion is set for release in late August. The other two expansions might be out before at the end of the year, depending what content you guys/ladies implement into the game.

The last sentence peek my interest, " it might really be time to let go, but it’s also possible we’ll wind down with another small expansion" 2017 could be the year when Crusader King two is finished, however there might be more content. If Crusader Kings two are really finished, I want the game to end with a bang. There has been a lot of good suggestions/ideas on here that didn't make it. I hope Crusader Kings 3 will be more successful.

Reactions:
Back to my sun lounger... where's my Gin and Tonic? Oh, and let the speculation commence!
Your cupbearer is bringing you another, but be careful as he's
Ambitious.png
and
Deceitful.png

Reactions:
Well that's good to hear.

That is quite a good amount of expansions to go.

Though I know I'm not the only one who wants to definitely wind down with that extra small one, or even another big one.

Happy vitamin D consumption.

Well, when development halts the wiki might finally catch up with the game ;)
For some reason I can't seem to get people to use the wiki. I think a steam guide in addition to the wiki would be a huge help.

Reactions: