• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello and welcome back to another dev diary about <Secret DLC>! One day we will actually announce this DLC and I’ll be able to use the proper name, but that day is not today! Anyway, right now I am here to tell you about some extra stuff we have made for Pagans, which will be part of the free 2.6 patch (of course, you still need The Old Gods to play as a pagan), and our new Female Advisor events. So, uh, actually this DD is really about 2.6 content and not <Secret DLC>, really, but anyway, onwards!

First of all, Defensive Pagans now have the ability to summon bands of Devout Warriors if they are the primary defender against an enemy of a different religion at the cost of 200 piety. Overall this is rather like the Raise Tribal Army decision and gives Defensive Pagans some extra punch when attacked.

Next, Defensive Pagans also have a new decision which can be used while at peace, and not more often than every 10 years: Ancestor Worship. This allows you to ask your ancestors for help or advise with some part of your life, perhaps you want triumph on the battlefield, maybe you want your realm to Prosper, or perhaps you are just lonely? In any case, once you have decided what it is you want, you must decide what you will offer up to get your request heard, and can range from offering up your eye or a human sacrifice to a more modest feast or carving a simple idol. With the sacrifice made, hopefully you see some kind of result in the not so distant future. Although, skeptics might point out that there’s no evidence the ancestors actually did anything and you may simply be giving them credit for a happy coincidence, that isn’t the kind of thought a pious man ought to have.
ancestors.jpg

here we wish for affection and offer up a feast

With Defensive Pagans covered, let’s move into their more Offensive cousins, the Norse. The first change here is relatively simple, and some of you guessed it from the Trait icons I showed in an earlier DD, but there are now two improved versions of the Viking trait: Ravager and Sea King. These are gained from continuing to sack holdings while raiding after the Viking trait has been gained and come with larger bonuses.
ravager.jpg

A couple of minor yet neat changes:
  • The Norse may now also gain a trait similar to Crusader when taking part in Great Holy Wars, called Valhalla-bound.
  • Norse Culture will no longer split into into Swedish/Danish etc when it’s part of a powerful Norse realm (which I seem to remember was said to be the case long ago but doesn’t seem to have been implemented) where the ruler either has 2 kingdom tiles or an empire title, or if the faith has been reformed and the Fylkir is Norse. On a related note, Pictish, Old Saxon, and Visigothic cultures will also no longer split/change when part of a powerful realm or their head of religion is of their culture.

Finally, Norse religion rulers now have a decision to appoint female characters in their realm with good Martial skill and appropriate traits as Shieldmaidens. These warrior women can act as bodyguards and/or can be set as commanders for your armies regardless of your gender laws. Shieldmaidens have a number of events relating to both their actions in battle and their training for said battles, and if a player happens to end up as a landed lady they can experience the Shieldmaiden content from the other side.
shieldmaiden.jpg

Now leaving Pagans behind, but staying with cool women, we’ve added a couple of ways to get more female advisors. Firstly, close relatives of a ruler with high stats may ask to be given a job. Secondly, a talented woman may show up in your court and offer her services to you. In either case if you accept they will take up a council position, but you will get an opinion penalty with your vassals - if you have Conclave the size of the penalty is reduced if you have increased your Gender Equality laws. These events do not fire if your gamerules/gender laws/religion/culture allow women to be appointed normally, since in that case you could simply hire them if you want to.
advisor.jpg

That’s all for this week, next week Doomdark will talk about the future of CK2 beyond <Secret DLC>.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Plot twist: The DLC's actual name post-announcement is also Secret DLC.

Reactions:
I love the mystical "is it the ancestors or not?".

Reactions:
Could we get a part of the patch notes? Like with the Horse Lords DD's? It would make this drawn out period a little bit easier.

Reactions:
AFRICANS !!!! WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY AFRICANS!!!!!!

why do you hate the africans so damn much !!!!
is it because migrants and immigration ?

we need to MakeAfricaGreatAgain!!

seriously though, i would love to see some improvements and more depth provided towards the west africans, and the continent in general. it was rich with trade during this time.
especially the horn of africa region.

Reactions:
Oh, those defensive Pagans are gonna become an even bigger pain in the back.
Love it!

Reactions:
Will the Devout Warriors of the defensive pagans remain after the war is finished or be instantly dismissed? All seems good though, cannot wait at all for this patch, I'm struggling to play CK2 right now as it seems disappointing without all the new additions from this patch. Damn dev diaries always ruin the current version for me.

Reactions:
They are dismissed on peace.

AFRICANS !!!! WHAT ABOUT THE BLOODY AFRICANS!!!!!!

why do you hate the africans so damn much !!!!
is it because migrants and immigration ?

we need to MakeAfricaGreatAgain!!

seriously though, i would love to see some improvements and more depth provided towards the west africans, and the continent in general. it was rich with trade during this time.
especially the horn of africa region.

Uh, the Africans are also defensive pagans and also get that stuff.

I love how EU4 team went on July vacation and won't be posting DDs until August. But CK2 team will (it seems) :D

We almost did these DDs in the reverse order, but I am here this week and Doomdark is here next week, so it works out better this way. I've also pre-written two more DDs to cover the last 2 weeks in July :)

Reactions:
Could we get a part of the patch notes? Like with the Horse Lords DD's? It would make this drawn out period a little bit easier.

Code:
- The expiry date for timed opinion modifiers is now shown in the tooltip
- Several buttons that were missing a click sound now have one - Examples being the buttons in the Era Picker, Focus window, Barber window and more!
- Cloud saves are now sorted newest to oldest, like local saves

Reactions:
Thanks for the DD, especially given Swedish approach to July :). I like the changes, the Ancestor Worship will be very cool thing to experience on my next pagan playthrough:). Can we also hope for some smaller events/decision/flavour for non-Norse European pagans, especially Slavs, Romuva, and Suomenusko <hopefuleyes>?

Reactions:
I love how EU4 team went on July vacation and won't be posting DDs until August. But CK2 team will (it seems) :D

The CK2 team made the DD's in advance so that they can continue with them. It's probably revenge to EU4 team which started the whole "Weekly DD EVERY week" business ;P

Reactions:
Thanks for the DD, especially given Swedish approach to July :). I like the changes, the Ancestor Worship will be very cool thing to experience on my next pagan playthrough:). Can we also hope for some smaller events/decision/flavour for non-Norse European pagans, especially Slavs, Romuva, and Suomenusko <hopefuleyes>?

Just to be extra clear, defensive pagans are:
Code:
                religion = finnish_pagan
                religion = finnish_pagan_reformed
                religion = west_african_pagan
                religion = west_african_pagan_reformed
                religion = baltic_pagan
                religion = baltic_pagan_reformed
                religion = slavic_pagan
                religion = slavic_pagan_reformed

So they're the ones getting Ancestor Worship and Devout Warriors. Other than that. there's no more unique content for them yet, but it would be nice to make more at some point.

Reactions:
Questions, so if, you're a norwegian catholic king with unrestricted raiding game rules. Will you still be able to get that three viking traits?

No, they are tied to the Norse religion.

Will defensive pagans still have the raise tribal army decission? If not this just feels like gimping them even further.

That's an odd conclusion to leap to. Yes, they still have Raise Tribal Army.

Reactions:
  • Norse Culture will no longer split into into Swedish/Danish etc when it’s part of a powerful Norse realm (which I seem to remember was said to be the case long ago but doesn’t seem to have been implemented) where the ruler either has 2 kingdom tiles or an empire title, or if the faith has been reformed and the Fylkir is Norse. On a related note, Pictish, Old Saxon, and Visigothic cultures will also no longer split/change when part of a powerful realm or their head of religion is of their culture.

That all sounds amazing, but perhaps this is bugged in some games but it is implemented because I have seen it work.

I only had one really amazing really long Pagan game, starting from Halfdan Whiteshirt in Jorvik 876, we blobbed over Britain, France, Andalusia, Norway, Denmark and later Sweden.

But not before the culture conversion triggered and all my people under my unified imperial Norse majesty stayed Norse, except for independant Sweden who turned Swedish. Even later when I took them they remained Swedish.

I have seen it work as advertised.

Reactions: