• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
tbh I think the split into swedish, norwegian etc is quite useful in presenting an actual challenge to maintaining your blob, with your vassals beginning to move away from a shared norse identity. imo it should depend on how centralised your administration is.

Reactions:
So, more stuff for already grossly overpowered vikings, and more gender equality in an age where gender equality was near non-existent. What a waste of time and effort.

And please. Wishing for affection, drinking a lot at a feast and finding a girl attractive you didn´t find attractive before (now that never happens, does it) fits to college parties and feels just stupid for this game.

Reactions:
So, more stuff for already grossly overpowered vikings, and more gender equality in an age where gender equality was near non-existent. What a waste of time and effort.

Medieval era was more gender equal than early modern era. We had female rulers and consorts leading armies historically. Females of merchants did the work while their husband was away. Female regents leading the state. And the events give you negative opinion because the guys in the council don't accept a women in their rows. Seems very plausible for me who study medieval history.

And please. Wishing for affection, drinking a lot at a feast and finding a girl attractive you didn´t find attractive before (now that never happens, does it) fits to college parties and feels just stupid for this game.

Yeah... because drinking is totaly not medieval...

Reactions:
I was glad to see more content for Pagans at first, but then I realized that PDS is staying true to their policy of "Norse best, Norse unique, all other pagans generic". How nice.

Reactions:
First of all, Defensive Pagans now have the ability to summon bands of Devout Warriors if they are the primary defender against an enemy of a different religion at the cost of 200 piety. Overall this is rather like the Raise Tribal Army decision and gives Defensive Pagans some extra punch when attacked.
Why is that? In most of my start-to-end playthrough some pagans always survive. Especially in the earliest start-date Christians barley start to christianize eastern Europe. So no need for more protection i guess?
Next, Defensive Pagans also have a new decision which can be used while at peace, and not more often than every 10 years: Ancestor Worship. This allows you to ask your ancestors for help or advise with some part of your life, perhaps you want triumph on the battlefield, maybe you want your realm to Prosper, or perhaps you are just lonely? In any case, once you have decided what it is you want, you must decide what you will offer up to get your request heard, and can range from offering up your eye or a human sacrifice to a more modest feast or carving a simple idol. With the sacrifice made, hopefully you see some kind of result in the not so distant future. Although, skeptics might point out that there’s no evidence the ancestors actually did anything and you may simply be giving them credit for a happy coincidence, that isn’t the kind of thought a pious man ought to have.
index.php
With Defensive Pagans covered, let’s move into their more Offensive cousins, the Norse. The first change here is relatively simple, and some of you guessed it from the Trait icons I showed in an earlier DD, but there are now two improved versions of the Viking trait: Ravager and Sea King. These are gained from continuing to sack holdings while raiding after the Viking trait has been gained and come with larger bonuses.
index.php

A couple of minor yet neat changes:
  • The Norse may now also gain a trait similar to Crusader when taking part in Great Holy Wars, called Valhalla-bound.
  • Norse Culture will no longer split into into Swedish/Danish etc when it’s part of a powerful Norse realm (which I seem to remember was said to be the case long ago but doesn’t seem to have been implemented) where the ruler either has 2 kingdom tiles or an empire title, or if the faith has been reformed and the Fylkir is Norse. On a related note, Pictish, Old Saxon, and Visigothic cultures will also no longer split/change when part of a powerful realm or their head of religion is of their culture.
More flavor is always welcome.
Finally, Norse religion rulers now have a decision to appoint female characters in their realm with good Martial skill and appropriate traits as Shieldmaidens. These warrior women can act as bodyguards and/or can be set as commanders for your armies regardless of your gender laws. Shieldmaidens have a number of events relating to both their actions in battle and their training for said battles, and if a player happens to end up as a landed lady they can experience the Shieldmaiden content from the other side.
index.php
Do you need to be Norse, Germanic or both? And why do not all get this feature?
Now leaving Pagans behind, but staying with cool women, we’ve added a couple of ways to get more female advisors. Firstly, close relatives of a ruler with high stats may ask to be given a job. Secondly, a talented woman may show up in your court and offer her services to you. In either case if you accept they will take up a council position, but you will get an opinion penalty with your vassals - if you have Conclave the size of the penalty is reduced if you have increased your Gender Equality laws. These events do not fire if your gamerules/gender laws/religion/culture allow women to be appointed normally, since in that case you could simply hire them if you want to.
index.php
Sounds great too. Will there be any events for Advisors in general or will the stay only a parking slot for vassals or yes-man

Reactions:
Can you give me exemples of shieldmaiden in other religions than norse?
When my Zoroastrian Persian Emperor speaks with the tongue of Satan and becomes military advise from Jesus everything is possible^^
Just because there are no reported examples doesn't mean it's not possible or it never happened. It just sounds of a interesting event and it would be a shame to only have it with Germanic/Norse people.

Reactions:
Not a great fan of the "summon devout warriors" decision, as it ressembles a lot hiring holy warriors, but less realistic and less dynamic.

I would rather like being given the opportunity to create a pagan "holy order" when threaten by a powerful enemy.

Reactions:
When my Zoroastrian Persian Emperor speaks with the tongue of Satan and becomes military advise from Jesus everything is possible^^
Just because there are no reported examples doesn't mean it's not possible or it never happened. It just sounds of a interesting event and it would be a shame to only have it with Germanic/Norse people.

But this hasn't really much to do with shieldmaidens like in this events. Shield maiden events don't make much sense outside of the norse. If they get it, they should be other events not shield maidens.

Reactions: