• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Without knowing the name, title claim or anything of that character ?
Well yes, but how often does that happen ?

Still, why make it more trouble to find people of your culture/culture group outside your realm? Why can't you exclude people already in your realm to speed up the process. I don't see what's so bad about it? If you can already look inside your realm and all of the world (which repeats our realm) why not just the ability to exclude your realm.

Pagans aren't getting a crusader-like trait. Only the ~*~*Norse*~*~ are.
Indeed, I think Zoroastrians should get something, same with Romuva etc. Any group that can launch a Great Holy War should have the equivalent trait. For that can't launch one, they should have a defensive one like "Defender of the Faith" or something if they join a defensive war. Ie. a Crusade is launched against the Cathars. They should get a defensive trait if they join in defense.

Reactions:
Still, why..

Responding with a general 'why not' is not an answer.

If it's no use, then why clutter the UI ?

When you're a big realm, it's annoying looking for other people when you're looking at your same folks already that are available in the other tabs

If you look for someone general, why not use "Search all" immediately ?

How often does it happen that you use the "Search realm" (let's say with same culture and religion) first and only then look at the "Search all" tab ?
I see that that can be al little bit of a hassle, but how often does this happen ?
Even if, there are filters still.

If you're looking for a specific person that's no longer in your realm / a specific culture etc. Is it practical for most? Probably not.

Specific character search is even easier.
You know you can reduce the search results with filters as culture (group) or not culture, the same with religion and others, you can
use the search box to type in some keywords, as parts or whole words of names or traits or dynasties if you search for someone special ?

..and even sort the results again by clicking on the tabs of Name, Dynasty, Culture, Realm, Age.

Just use the "Search all" tab right away...and aforementioned.

...Of course nothing holds Paradox back cluttering the UI further, similar as the character screen,
so who knows..maybe you get your wish. Me rambling more or less against something in such detailed manner as i just did,
increases the chance of it by my experience. ;)

Don't get me wrong, i'm not against it per se, but not for it by simply adding it.
Maybe a seperate 'more options' button opening an additional window with more filters....hmm no,
that reduces accessibility...hmm...

There is a Suggestions subforum.

edit: heavily edited..

Last edited:
So just because some words in Romanian come from Slavic that means that the culture is Slavic? Are you thinking this true?

There are a lot of words in Romanian that have unknown origins, mate. For example, branza, which means cheese. What does that mean? That Romanians are an unknown culture? I get that a lot of you have no ideas about Romania, but that shouldn't stop you from at least doing some research. The fact is Romanian is a Latin language. The fact is that Romanian were Orthodox Christians way before the Bulgarians or other Slavic peoples in the region and if they did use Church Slavonic it was because Constantinople kinda fell to the Turks and it was kinda impossible to look to them for help. So they looked towards the only other place where Christian Orthodox peoples still held power - THE SLAVIC NATIONS IN EASTERN EUROPE.

Who were they going to look to? The Catholic west? Please try to understand these things and don't just shout your lungs out in order to look like your right.

The Vlachs were never a Slavic culture.

And although I'm not another Romanian nationalist, I'm still going to argue "muh roman superioriti" by just saying that we, as a people, are disgusted when others associate us with the much more inferior Slavic peoples that live around us. That's how much the Slavs influenced our culture. They did it so much that we kinda dislike all of them, especially the Russians. And we're still here, dude. After 2,000 years and numerous savages that just came and went, we're still here. Still speaking our Latin language, with our Latin names and our Latin history, in our old cities, that were built by the Romans, where we still have Roman masonry. Yup. That's how much others have influenced our culture. Other than some loanwords we have nothing from the Slavic peoples that came this way. We have no buildings, we have nothing. But those Roman forts still remain...

Just my 2 Cents on this debate.
Genetically the Romanians have like 40% south Italian/Latin inheritance, some 30-40% Slavic. With the rest do what you like. You have to realize that those lands were washed up by any culture possible, from Celts to Mongolians and so on. The fact is the genetic map say that it does have a strong Slavic component, ofc in comparison with other neighboring countries you can state it is a Latin oasis in the large Slavic basin.

The most people just play the earliest start date and 1939 because the war started. Very few people play the other start dates. They need a loot of work with research, balancing etc etc. The other start dates were not worth the work.

Language IS NOT Culture. Culturally the Vlachs were closer to the Slavs during this era. They had nothing in common with Italians, Occitans or French beside a similiar language.
The most people just play the earliest start date and 1939 because the war started. Very few people play the other start dates. They need a loot of work with research, balancing etc etc. The other start dates were not worth the work.

Language IS NOT Culture. Culturally the Vlachs were closer to the Slavs during this era. They had nothing in common with Italians, Occitans or French beside a similiar language.

I have to disagree/agree with you. Language is one of the pillars of culture. The main barrier to culture drift was language (even though the rulers and the army were of different culture, the population was indigene) . Even though I agree with you that perhaps starting with 1000 AD those territories resembled more with their neighbors, as of the starting date I would be inclined to set them into the Byzantine sphere of influence (the center of the Roman World was near by) and the barbarians were aspiring to the Latin concept. To think that the influence was in reverse lacks logic.

The main problem is that PI doesn't define what culture is precisely. A similar problem is with the Kingdom of Asturias which is Visigoth as culture. The fact is that Language was Iberian-Latin inclined, the culture was Iberian-Latin, the rulers were Gothic of origin. They are portrayed as Visigoths (a celtic/german culture - in game under the Iberic culture) which is kind of true. The Celts adapted to the local indigene massive population.
What I mean by that. The entire north-danubian region aspired to the byzantine rule. The Byzantines were using these territories as buffer zones under their influence (through church, language). That means it didn't matter who temporary ruled those lands, the indigene population was loyal to Constantinople and retained the byzantine culture (religion, practices, society, language). And btw, the Alans are Byzantines in game. Kind of dumb.

I have to disagree/agree with you. Language is one of the pillars of culture. The main barrier to culture drift was language (even though the rulers and the army were of different culture, the population was indigene) . Even though I agree with you that perhaps starting with 1000 AD those territories resembled more with their neighbors, as of the starting date I would be inclined to set them into the Byzantine sphere of influence (the center of the Roman World was near by) and the barbarians were aspiring to the Latin concept. To think that the influence was in reverse lacks logic.

The main problem is that PI doesn't define what culture is precisely. A similar problem is with the Kingdom of Asturias which is Visigoth as culture. The fact is that Language was Iberian-Latin inclined, the culture was Iberian-Latin, the rulers were Gothic of origin. They are portrayed as Visigoths (a celtic/german culture - in game under the Iberic culture) which is kind of true. The Celts adapted to the local indigene massive population.
What I mean by that. The entire north-danubian region aspired to the byzantine rule. The Byzantines were using these territories as buffer zones under their influence (through church, language). That means it didn't matter who temporary ruled those lands, the indigene population was loyal to Constantinople and retained the byzantine culture (religion, practices, society, language). And btw, the Alans are Byzantines in game. Kind of dumb.

I never said language is NOT part of culture. But language groups have nothing to do with culture groups. The Crimean Goths for exemple would fit more into the Byzantine culture group. By the way... the Byzantine culture group is the best exemple of Language groups =/= culture groups. They main culture of this group is Greek. Then we hav Armenian and Georgian. Three different language groups in one culture group. Why? Because it's fitting.
And Romanian would add another language group. Latin is not a Greek language. So you say Latin makes them closer to the Greeks culturaly? If Language = Culture Romanians must be under the Latin culture group which would culturally not fit at all.

Alans are in tje Byzantine group, yes. But this isn't dumb. They fit perfectly in the Byzantine group. The Alans were part of the cultural and political network inside the Byzantine Empire. Greeks, Armenians, Georgians and Alans were all part of an interbyzantine network. The Byzantine Culture Group is on the most logical culture groups in the game.

Reactions:
I never said language is NOT part of culture. But language groups have nothing to do with culture groups. The Crimean Goths for exemple would fit more into the Byzantine culture group. By the way... the Byzantine culture group is the best exemple of Language groups =/= culture groups. They main culture of this group is Greek. Then we hav Armenian and Georgian. Three different language groups in one culture group. Why? Because it's fitting.
And Romanian would add another language group. Latin is not a Greek language. So you say Latin makes them closer to the Greeks culturaly? If Language = Culture Romanians must be under the Latin culture group which would culturally not fit at all.

Alans are in tje Byzantine group, yes. But this isn't dumb. They fit perfectly in the Byzantine group. The Alans were part of the cultural and political network inside the Byzantine Empire. Greeks, Armenians, Georgians and Alans were all part of an interbyzantine network. The Byzantine Culture Group is on the most logical culture groups in the game.
The Byzantine group shows cultural spheres above all - Armenian and Georgian are in the Byzantine sphere. Similarly, Vlach is in the Slavic sphere (and here you can make an argument for a later Hungarian culture falling into that as well), as well as all the Altaic cultures technically all belonging to the intercommunicative sphere of the steppe, despite not really being one language group.

Reactions:
The Byzantine group shows cultural spheres above all - Armenian and Georgian are in the Byzantine sphere. Similarly, Vlach is in the Slavic sphere (and here you can make an argument for a later Hungarian culture falling into that as well), as well as all the Altaic cultures technically all belonging to the intercommunicative sphere of the steppe, despite not really being one language group.
The problem is that cultures cannot shift from one group to the next over the course of the game, or form entirely new ones. So while early Hungarian is far closer to the Western Steppe cultures than Eastern Europe, late Hungarian is much closer to the nearby Slavics than the Steppe cultures anymore. It's the same story with the Anglo-Saxons, Polish, and the nomads from during the fall of the Roman empire.