• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is it tomorrow or late?o_O

Carlstadt Boy. I had maybe a dozen comments, I doubt you remember me. I forgot them until I started rereading the thread recently :) (I've just reached new updates). Great AAR, keeping the old beacons lit (together with Butterfly Effect).

Indeed I do remember! Glad to have you back! I can only hope you'll still find the story's newest installments read-worthy. The more I try to make them shorter, the more I end up with 12-pagers.

Well, the next chapter should be a 14-pager more or less. I have two bits left to write, about some Norway-based intrigue. I promise you French submarines, German merchantsmen, British cruisers, and a much drearier version of King Haakon as the one @El Pip made us know and love some years ago. Oh, and also Ian Fleming, because as much as I can't stand his books I find the man quite fascinating.

Well, the next chapter should be a 14-pager more or less. I have two bits left to write, about some Norway-based intrigue. I promise you French submarines, German merchantsmen, British cruisers, and a much drearier version of King Haakon as the one @El Pip made us know and love some years ago. Oh, and also Ian Fleming, because as much as I can't stand his books I find the man quite fascinating.
Well that all sounds excellent. I wonder which French submarines we will be meeting? Most of the French sub fleet was designed for the Med (which is hopefully secure enough that nothing interesting is happening) or 'colonial service' which you'd hope is also quiet.

As the Surcouf is a bit too predictable to feature, are we going to see some Redoubtables messing around in the North Sea? Or will the Saphirs be laying mines around Norwegian waters and causing the duller/sensible King Haakon to be dragged into intrigue? I look forward to finding out. :D

Well that all sounds excellent. I wonder which French submarines we will be meeting? Most of the French sub fleet was designed for the Med (which is hopefully secure enough that nothing interesting is happening) or 'colonial service' which you'd hope is also quiet.

As the Surcouf is a bit too predictable to feature, are we going to see some Redoubtables messing around in the North Sea? Or will the Saphirs be laying mines around Norwegian waters and causing the duller/sensible King Haakon to be dragged into intrigue? I look forward to finding out. :D

You shall indeed see a Saphir-class submarine (Rubis, to be precise). Though she will not be responsible for any Haakon-dragging, as that honour belongs to some other warships.

And you're right, the Med is almost 100% secure, the only potential threats being Yugoslavia (which for the Germans was an alternative to Italy) and Turkey (which has some Syrian issue with France, and which, well, has no reason to have fallen in love with either Paris or London).

I'm slower than usual in writing, because on top of job-related issues I have agreed to write a Call of Cthulhu scenario for a group of friends I haven't played with in the last twenty years. And boy is that a chore! :D

o_O What kind of scenario does it exactly involve for that game? I'm piqued.

o_O What kind of scenario does it exactly involve for that game? I'm piqued.

At first I wanted to have them play Zulu Warriors in the 19th-century and battle both Redcoats and Out-of-this-world horrors, but half of my players wanted to have a shot at Nazis in a more Indiana Jones-like setting. And I concur with Count Zaroff that brownshirt-clad humans are the most dangerous/interesting game.

So I am now envisioning a scenario where they'll play private investigators in 1939 South Africa and will have to work their way up from solving a rather banal missing person case, to oppose an upper-class secret society dabbling with the occult (cue human sacrifice scene/zombie fight) to meet the real enemy which will be a politically-savvy cultist and his Nazi associates, who will unwittingly help said cultist summon the King in Yellow (all the while thinking they're only about to use the Mythos knowledge to spy on Britain). If that sounds like the ramblings of a beer-addled keyboard, then congrats, me boy, you have looked right through me! But heck, the scenario so far ain't half-bad even if I say so myself. :)

As this is probably the last time me and the boys will Yog-Sothoth together before we start dying of various natural causes (also, booze and cigars), I think a 90%-mortality rate is to be expected.

Cringe for the Cringe God! Nuts for the Nuts Throne! :p

I only know vaguely what AF means because I once read The_Yogis excellent Fu Manchu series of AARs from back in the day...

Maybe you can shoehorn Gunther Durn (the greatest anti-hero in narrative HOI history) into the troup of Nazis?

Call of Cthulhu is based on Howard Philip Lovecraft's horror novels of the 1930s (it's the title of the novel that got HPL post-mortem glory). Basically it's all about quiet, respectable characters discovering (and, sometimes,trying to fight) unspeakable horrors from lost ages, that try to resurface in our world. Imagine Raiders of the Lost Ark with Harrison Ford being an actual professor of History, and not a whip-wieldin', Nazi-kickin', leather-wearin' badass. Oh, and also imagine the Ark containing not some more-or-less Just God's vengeful spirits, but things that existed/still exist in such a different plane that they do not care at all whether it's loveable Indiana or Adolf Hitler opening the Ark, because to them it makes as much sense as trying to distinguish between single-cell organisms before dousing them with boiling water. ;)

Last edited:
What's the progress report on the post?

What's the progress report on the post?

It definitely is "a work in progress"! :)

I'd say it's 75% done, as I just want to add the "palatial intrigue" bit which will use elements of a muuuuuuuuuuch earlier chapter. That recycling of a decade-old material will allow me to look like one of those clever author chaps who sow some plot seeds years before they need them, and let them blossom when needed. Hint: I'm definitely not that kind of genius.

Sorry for the delay - I do realize I am like a full month overdue - which I can only blame on my "other" writing projects, and chiefly on that Call of Cthulhu scenario which has been given some priority since I have to finish it and play it within twelve days with college friends from back when I was young-ish. That's one of these things when you near 50 : you cannot write and improvise as fast as you'd like.

At long last, free to write again (and not write-sick from churning up court requests and statistical reports), and thus this week's objective is to finish that damn Chapter 125, with naval and submarine adventure, as well as palatial intrigue as promised. There might be some kind of reference (or is it reverence?) to, @El Pip as well, as History is no stranger to funny coincidences.

At long last, free to write again (and not write-sick from churning up court requests and statistical reports), and thus this week's objective is to finish that damn Chapter 125, with naval and submarine adventure, as well as palatial intrigue as promised. There might be some kind of reference (or is it reverence?) to, @El Pip as well, as History is no stranger to funny coincidences.
Reverence. Definitely reverence. It's the only appropriate response.
IndeedSir.gif

Reverence. Definitely reverence. It's the only appropriate response.
IndeedSir.gif

...you know, like how children give reverence to their father...some of the time.

;p