• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As for Gehlen, maybe his association with Warlimont (just bought a book about his stint at the OKW BTW) will be his misfortune? Although, as the man was rather critical of Hitler, and pretty soon, maybe he can find a way to survive. I find it interesting that so many agents of the Gehlen organization were actually Soviet moles.

I find it interesting that so many agents of the Gehlen organization were actually Soviet moles.
The East Germans ran a very good intelligence and espionage game for almost the entire Cold War, the West Germans not so much. I suspect the only real information Gehlen actually gathered was the occasional bits of 'real but low value' information the Soviets gave to their moles to establish them as genuine. The rest of the organisation appeared to be pretty useless, probably because they were mostly ex-Nazis, a group that were pretty awful at the intelligence game at the best of times.

Ok a few things

I discovered this AAR a few weeks ago, at first I thought it odd, a France that doesn't surrender at the first wiff of trouble. Then I started to enjoy myself reading about our good friend Mr Colonel 'name I forgot' (I want to say Le Roux, and yes I could go back a few pages and find him, but like this version of France I look forward not back) reforming the French political system to make it not suck (mostly by getting the left out of power and buffing the president). The assination of Mussilini (yes thats the spelling I am going with) seemed very realistic as in our time line the French were also very good at bombings (though more the greenpeace ship in New Zealand type rather than the Italian dictator type). The Spainish intervention was also well done (nice to see what France can do when they have leaders with some balls), you completely faked me out with the Spanish general who led the coup to found the peoples republic of spain (or whatever it was called). I thought he was going to get assasinated when he went to the president's house (for want of a better term) not lead a coup. Anyway keep up the good work, I am glad Pip convinced you to update again (authough prehaps Pip should focas on updating his own AARs rather that badgering other people about theirs). If the election is stil open (which I assume it is) I would like to cast a ballot for the Croux De Frux (the centre right guys who I have almost definately spelt wrong), as I am not French (or of voting age) I will be casting this ballot using voter fraud (also in that case i will be casting 5 ballots), just in case you are wondering why dead people are casting votes (I will vote as: Louis XIV, Louis XVI, Louis XV, Louis XVIII and Charles VIII (on another note you guys need to get way more imaginative on your king names, by British law a name can only be used 8 times)). Requests for future updates (you didn't ask but I am giving it to you anyway): The election (quick before anyone else thinks of voting from overseas), an update on the french forigen legion (prehaps including some camaos from the readership 'hint hint'), 17 El Pip style (very long, with random obscure facts no one asked for that gets side tracked constantly) updates on the state of French rugby and the government's plan to find new ways to lose to the All Blacks, an update about the infantryman and his rifle (and his grenades and suport weapons and uniform etc), an update about the French road and rail capasity in different parts of the country, a post that explains the status of Algeria (like why it is a department, what is a department, if it is a department can we constript the locals, if algeria=france then do the algerians have french citizenship, if so can they vote, how many seats does algeria have (if proportional voting probably zero), if making algeria a department ment making the natives proper french (with rights!) how did this pass parliment etc), what is the status of the french match making industry and will they be able to supply Norway in the event of a war (ask El Pip about that one) and finally will we get to see Hitler's trousers blowen off by von staffenburger (the guy played by Tom Cruise in Valcarlye)

Finally I leave you with some quotes

-"Either I will be decorated or I will be court martialled, Fire!"
Oberst (later Briger) Kristian Eriksen, ordering his battery to fire on Blucher 1940

-"Forward pass ref!"
Me to my TV in 2007

-"An army marches on it's stomach"
Napoleon I

-"An army marches on a wide variaty of materials, including but not limited to: concrete, dirt, graval, grass, mud, sand, rock and wood"
Me 2017

-"Remember even Napoleon lost in the end"
Me 2017

(authough on that last one if you do sucessfully invade Russia, the French cabnet can award its self the better than Napoleon award)

Ok a few things

I discovered this AAR a few weeks ago, at first I thought it odd, a France that doesn't surrender at the first wiff of trouble. Then I started to enjoy myself reading about our good friend Mr Colonel 'name I forgot' (I want to say Le Roux, and yes I could go back a few pages and find him, but like this version of France I look forward not back) reforming the French political system to make it not suck (mostly by getting the left out of power and buffing the president).

Many thanks! What I have enjoyed, as a writer, was discovering lots of potential for realistic what-ifs in French history. I'll probably end up as a minor expert on the PSF and Colonel de La Rocque (and mighty bored will my audience be).

The assination of Mussilini (yes thats the spelling I am going with) seemed very realistic as in our time line the French were also very good at bombings (though more the greenpeace ship in New Zealand type rather than the Italian dictator type). The Spainish intervention was also well done (nice to see what France can do when they have leaders with some balls), you completely faked me out with the Spanish general who led the coup to found the peoples republic of spain (or whatever it was called). I thought he was going to get assasinated when he went to the president's house (for want of a better term) not lead a coup. Anyway keep up the good work, I am glad Pip convinced you to update again (authough prehaps Pip should focas on updating his own AARs rather that badgering other people about theirs).

Again, many thanks! For one thing, I enjoyed writing these chapters, so I'm quite relieved someone enjoyed reading them. I offed Mussolini because I wanted to toy with the idea of a "Latin bloc" trying to hold its ground against the Third Reich without direct anglo-american assistance. I kinda regret having killed Ciano now that I read his book, he would have made a good character to play with. As for Spain, it was pure happenstance, which I enjoyed immensely as both player and writer. The French army had "a useful lesson" in Spain indeed! I couldn't resist creating an independent Basque nation - especially at zero expense for French territory, I confes, and the coup-countercoup atmosphere made for enjoyable writing sessions (espionage plus war, rarely a losing combo).

As for El Pip, I totally agree, he should definitely update a lot more !

If the election is stil open (which I assume it is) I would like to cast a ballot for the Croux De Frux (the centre right guys who I have almost definately spelt wrong), as I am not French (or of voting age) I will be casting this ballot using voter fraud (also in that case i will be casting 5 ballots), just in case you are wondering why dead people are casting votes (I will vote as: Louis XIV, Louis XVI, Louis XV, Louis XVIII and Charles VIII (on another note you guys need to get way more imaginative on your king names, by British law a name can only be used 8 times)).

From French poet and humorist Jacques Prévert, this jest about French Kings : "Louis I, Louis II, Louis III, Louis IV, Louis V, Louis VI, Louis VII, Louis VIII, Louis IX (also known as Saint Louis), Louis X, Louis XI, Louis XII, Louis XIII, Louis XIV, Louis XV, Louis XVI, Louis XVII, Louis XVIII, Louis-Philippe... Who are those people who can't even counto to twenty!"

Requests for future updates (you didn't ask but I am giving it to you anyway): The election (quick before anyone else thinks of voting from overseas),

It is now three pages in the making and should be posted this weekend.

an update on the french forigen legion (prehaps including some camaos from the readership 'hint hint'),

Hey, great idea! France is currently at peace, but there's always the colonial scene.

17 El Pip style (very long, with random obscure facts no one asked for that gets side tracked constantly) updates on the state of French rugby and the government's plan to find new ways to lose to the All Blacks,

I'll have you know I make it a point to give you random obscure facts in every update, my good sir, and the next one shall be no exception! :D

an update about the infantryman and his rifle (and his grenades and suport weapons and uniform etc),

That could go hand in hand with the FFL update, actually. I'll have to read up on French WW2-era grenades, though. Here are the basics : the current French rifle is the MAS-36, with its folding stock variant, and a semi-automatic MAS is in deployment. No submachine-guns for now (I see the MAS-38 as way too complicated for mass military production. The squad LMG is the MAC 24/29 Châtellerault, and the old Hotchkiss-1914 is still the GPMG.

an update about the French road and rail capasity in different parts of the country,

That can be done! And this way I'll learn something about French locomotives.

a post that explains the status of Algeria (like why it is a department, what is a department, if it is a department can we constript the locals, if algeria=france then do the algerians have french citizenship, if so can they vote, how many seats does algeria have (if proportional voting probably zero), if making algeria a department ment making the natives proper french (with rights!) how did this pass parliment etc),

The FFL update could be set in the Algerian départements indeed.

what is the status of the french match making industry and will they be able to supply Norway in the event of a war (ask El Pip about that one)

France has steadily refused to join King Haakon's multinational Strategic Match Initiative, and remains confident the world will not be set abalaze even if lights go down all over Europe.

and finally will we get to see Hitler's trousers blowen off by von staffenburger (the guy played by Tom Cruise in Valcarlye)

Der Führer's favourite pair of Lederhosen are currently safe from any Stauffenberg-ization. Sure, things aren't going super peachy for the Reich, but the tide of History still favours Germany for the time being.

Last edited:
Many thanks! What I have enjoyed, as a writer, was discovering lots of potential for realistic what-ifs in French history. I'll probably end up as a minor expert on the PSF and Colonel de La Rocque (and mighty bored will my audience be).

Again, many thanks! For one thing, I enjoyed writing these chapters, so I'm quite relieved someone enjoyed reading them. I offed Mussolini because I wanted to toy with the idea of a "Latin bloc" trying to hold its ground against the Third Reich without direct anglo-american assistance. I kinda regret having killed Ciano now that I read his book, he would have made a good character to play with. As for Spain, it was pure happenstance, which I enjoyed immensely as both player and writer. The French army had "a useful lesson" in Spain indeed! I couldn't resist creating an independent Basque nation - especially at zero expense for French territory, I confes, and the coup-countercoup atmosphere made for enjoyable writing sessions (espionage plus war, rarely a losing combo).

As for El Pip, I totally agree, he should definitely update a lot more !

From French poet and humorist Jacques Prévert, this jest about French Kings : "Louis I, Louis II, Louis III, Louis IV, Louis V, Louis VI, Louis VII, Louis VIII, Louis IX (also known as Saint Louis), Louis X, Louis XI, Louis XII, Louis XIII, Louis XIV, Louis XV, Louis XVI, Louis XVII, Louis XVIII, Louis-Philippe... Who are those people who can't even counto to twenty!"

It is now three pages in the making and should be posted this weekend.

Hey, great idea! France is currently at peace, but there's always the colonial scene.

I'll have you know I make it a point to give you random obscure facts in every update, my good sir, and the next one shall be no exception! :D

That could go hand in hand with the FFL update, actually. I'll have to read up on French WW2-era grenades, though. Here are the basics : the current French rifle is the MAS-36, with its folding stock variant, and a semi-automatic MAS is in deployment. No submachine-guns for now (I see the MAS-38 as way too complicated for mass military production. The squad LMG is the MAC 24/29 Châtellerault, and the old Hotchkiss-1914 is still the GPMG.

That can be done! And this way I'll learn something about French locomotives.

The FFL update could be set in the Algerian départements indeed.

France has steadily refused to join King Haakon's multinational Strategic Match Initiative, and remains confident the world will not be set abalaze even if lights go down all over Europe.

Der Führer's favourite pair of Lederhosen are currently safe from any Stauffenberg-ization. Sure, things aren't going super peachy for the Reich, but the tide of History still favours Germany for the time being.

On Ciano, of course he sounds interesting in his own book (it would be a pretty bad book otherwise), but wasn't he big M's brother in law so he would have never been able to know the secret
On the writings of El Pip you should go leave a comment on For King Haakon and the Fjords, I am trying to get him to revive it (did you know that it is actually slower than the Butterfly Effect on a time passed in game and a time passed in game:time passed IRL basis)
On my totally legitimate votes you didn't say if they counted (they probably will do nothing more than pad the CDF victory margin but every vote counts), if they do then Louis here would like to deliver another truckload of ballots from the graveyard... I mean polling stations (that was close)
On the French Army weapons, how does France afford to equip her entire army with semi-auto weapons, I thought you had to have US levels of Industry and resources to do that?
also on Der Fuhrer how do you get the dots over the u (is it a button on the keyboard, some European thing or are some of the commenters correct and you are a closet fascist)
also because you clearly don't have anything better to do than answer them, more questions:
Firstly a question from Fox McNews. What is France doing to defeat ISIS in Syria (what do you mean they don't exist yet, do we have to break out the freedom fries again?)
Next question from the New Zealand ambassador: What is the presidential candidates stance on New Zealand selling its agricultural production tariff free to some hypothetical super European trade block should Britain join and stop being a bottomless sink for our farmers to shovel exports into? (like that will ever happen)
What is the state of French sport? (and will they learn to play proper sports like rugby (doing well but stop poaching our players for your domestic leagues) and cricket?)
How powerful is the French monarchist movement?
Are there plans for the French and Italian governments to start a combined research project into creating the perfect meal (oh and nuclear weapons)
Will there be French nuclear testing in the Pacific? (or will it be confined to Berlin and Moscow?)
Is there any plans in France to bring in a British person to run the navy properly? (to far?)
What can you tell me of rumors to sell the entire stock of French military flags (white cross on a white background) to the Italians. (ok defiantly to far, the French Air force hasn't run away in it's history)
When will we get to see more of Uncle Joe?
Will France make a bid for the 1944 Olympics? (and will it still hold them if by some random chance (and I know that this is very unlikely) there is a very large war on?)
Once this new fad of fighting against dictators is over will France resume it's traditional pastime, being at war with the English?
What will happen to Germany after the French Victory (I (and some dead French kings) vote that they should be 1450ised - split up into hundreds of independent duchies loosely ruled over by a Holy Roman Emperor picked by the elector princes to rule for life (except this time there would be a few million elector princes and the Holy Roman Emperor would only be elected for an eight (?) year term))?

Oh and an update would be good to if you have time after answering my questions (alternatively you could just tell me to stuff my questions and just go straight to an update)

On Ciano, of course he sounds interesting in his own book (it would be a pretty bad book otherwise), but wasn't he big M's brother in law so he would have never been able to know the secret

He could have made a good leader for the Fascist party, since Mussolini's assassination hasn't discredited his ideology. And since he was a Germanophobe, he could even have played a role in the Italian government. But well, that's water under the bridge now,

On the writings of El Pip you should go leave a comment on For King Haakon and the Fjords, I am trying to get him to revive it (did you know that it is actually slower than the Butterfly Effect on a time passed in game and a time passed in game:time passed IRL basis)

I'll have to do that.

On my totally legitimate votes you didn't say if they counted (they probably will do nothing more than pad the CDF victory margin but every vote counts), if they do then Louis here would like to deliver another truckload of ballots from the graveyard... I mean polling stations (that was close)

I have counted them. Things do look promising for the PSF indeed.

On the French Army weapons, how does France afford to equip her entire army with semi-auto weapons, I thought you had to have US levels of Industry and resources to do that?

More probably, the semi-auto conversion will not affect the entire French army, but some select units (FFL, Naval Assault Divisions, Dragoons), like the MAS36/CR39 folding stock variant.

also on Der Fuhrer how do you get the dots over the u (is it a button on the keyboard, some European thing or are some of the commenters correct and you are a closet fascist)

European keyboards have it.

Firstly a question from Fox McNews. What is France doing to defeat ISIS in Syria (what do you mean they don't exist yet, do we have to break out the freedom fries again?)

Two words : Operation Chammal. Airstrikes and ground troops in Lybia, Iraq ans Syria.

Next question from the New Zealand ambassador: What is the presidential candidates stance on New Zealand selling its agricultural production tariff free to some hypothetical super European trade block should Britain join and stop being a bottomless sink for our farmers to shovel exports into? (like that will ever happen)

They'd probably remind the ambassador that France is Europe's largest agriculture and that any trade bloc should shop there first !

What is the state of French sport? (and will they learn to play proper sports like rugby (doing well but stop poaching our players for your domestic leagues) and cricket?)

Actually, France won the 1939 Rugby cup! ;)

How powerful is the French monarchist movement?

Historically, it was rather weak - Fascism had a lot more traction than a return to monarchy in the 1930. The Comte de Paris, heir to the throne, lived in Switzerland and did not have the right to return to France. I discovered last week that one of the Comte's closest lieutenants was Pierre de La Rocque, the very brother of our colonel.

Are there plans for the French and Italian governments to start a combined research project into creating the perfect meal (oh and nuclear weapons)

The Perfect Meal Project sounds more important! ;)

Will there be French nuclear testing in the Pacific? (or will it be confined to Berlin and Moscow?)

France can test such weapons much closer in the Algerian desert, as it did historically, at the Reggane site.

Is there any plans in France to bring in a British person to run the navy properly? (to far?)

I'd gladly have Admiral Plunkett-Ernle-Erle Drax, if only for his highly improbable name, but so far I think Admiral Darlan is doing well.

What can you tell me of rumors to sell the entire stock of French military flags (white cross on a white background) to the Italians. (ok defiantly to far, the French Air force hasn't run away in it's history)

Actually it was fleur-de-lys on a white background. I'll keep them around in case England needs them for Singapore! ;)

When will we get to see more of Uncle Joe?

Well, soon, pretty soon. Stalin has a lot on his mind in 1939: diplomatically, with the Reich; and militarily, with Finland.

Will France make a bid for the 1944 Olympics? (and will it still hold them if by some random chance (and I know that this is very unlikely) there is a very large war on?)

Hey, why not? France's last games were in 1924 after all, a comeback after twenty years would be great.

Once this new fad of fighting against dictators is over will France resume it's traditional pastime, being at war with the English?

Never! Entente Cordiale for the win!

What will happen to Germany after the French Victory (I (and some dead French kings) vote that they should be 1450ised - split up into hundreds of independent duchies loosely ruled over by a Holy Roman Emperor picked by the elector princes to rule for life (except this time there would be a few million elector princes and the Holy Roman Emperor would only be elected for an eight (?) year term))?

Well, a French victory has yet to be achieved - and would in my opinion require a vast alliance whose members would have their say about the future of Germany. In OTL, de Gaulle favoured a Morgenthau-like solution, splitting the cuntry into several, weaker states, returning to the pre-1870 situation minus Prussia. Here, that will totally depend on the military situation in Europe. Realistically, even a victorious France would be war-weary, if not totally exhausted, which means it wouldn't be able to do as it wished.

Oh and an update would be good to if you have time after answering my questions (alternatively you could just tell me to stuff my questions and just go straight to an update)

The update is in the making. I am trying to deliver the election results, the hatchng of a SD plot, and an eventful diplomatic dinner.

Alright, next update is almost done. I am getting finicky about who should be ambassador to France for a variety of European powers. The envoy from the Court of St James caused me some problems, now it is his Italian, Japanese, and Hungarian counterparts that are giving me headaches. I'd like to stick with historical ones as much as possible, just in case.

Have just dropped in for a quick glance. Hoi2 - old school. :) Almost makes me want to get out my old Vanilla Hoi1 to see how it stacks up after all this time! 125 x 25 posts: :eek: might take me a little while to catch up, but I will try. :D

Have just dropped in for a quick glance. Hoi2 - old school. :) Almost makes me want to get out my old Vanilla Hoi1 to see how it stacks up after all this time! 125 x 25 posts: :eek: might take me a little while to catch up, but I will try. :D

Yeah, can you imagine? HoI2 was tier 1 when I started this AAR.

CHAPTER 119 : ELECTION NIGHT

Paris, the Ministry of the Interior, May the 10th, 1939

9NJARjZ.jpg

The Ministry of the Interior

For the past twenty-four hours, the “Place Beauvau”, as the Ministry was known to most Frenchmen because of its Parisian address, had been the theater of a ballet of motorcycle messengers and official cars, to the point the honor yard gravel had already needed to be raked in twice. The madness had begun the day before, as the electoral monitoring station had been set up in an old ballroom generally reserved for official banquets, and now that the evening had started to fall on Paris, it showed little sign of abating. The arriving visitors were mostly provincial officials sent to Paris with the mission to check, double-check and authenticate the results transmitted by France's 112 Préfectures centralizing the results of the local polling stations. A dozen employees from the Ministry of Colonies did the same with the settlers' votes in France's various overseas possessions. The 1935 Constitution granting voting rights to French citizens established in foreign nations, a chef de bureau from the Foreign Ministry had also arrived, transmitting the results of the polling stations established in every French consulate abroad. For practical reasons, the electoral operations for the citizens voting outside of Metropolitan France and the Algerian départements had been conducted the week before, and its results had been sealed so as to limit the risk of influencing the vote in France itself.

“Do we have Marseille?” asked Interior Minister Joseph Paganon, breezing through the corridors leading to his office. Behind him, three senior employees were doing their best to keep up with their boss, perilously consulting their notes as they slalomed between harassed secretaries and bleary-eyed staffers trying to bring some issue to their attention.

“Marseille votes are 90% in” panted Lucien Hougron, Paganon's chief of staff, “there has been a problem on three stations, it seems, which has delayed the voting operations”

“What problem?” asked Paganon as the quartet finally reached the relative haven of the Minister's office.

“Envelopes. There was a snag in the delivery, and some stations didn't get enough while others received too many.”

“Oh bon Dieu!” groaned Paganon. Marseille was the country's third-biggest city, and any major problem there could rapidly cast suspicion over the entire electoral process.

“It has been corrected, Monsieur le Ministre”, said Paule Pignet, earning a grateful look from Hougron. If her status as the only woman among Paganon's senior aides held one single advantage, it was the fact the Minister usually kept his temper in check with her. Not that Paganon was a tyrant – he was demanding, but generally affable - but he had a clear tendency to vent at his staff in times of stress. And in this regard, the organization of the first direct election of the French president by the French people was the most stressful task he and his aides had to grapple with yet.

“It has? Satisfactorily?”

“They made the round of neighboring stations to collect as many envelopes as they could” confirmed Pignet. “The Préfet authorized these stations to close down one hour later so as to process as many voters as possible. They sent for more volunteers for the count operations to make up for the lost time, which means early results should arrive shortly. The delay will be marginal.”

“No contestation from any candidate?”

“None” said Hougron. “All the parties agreed to allow more time for the vote. As it concerned worker districts, the PSR was of course favorable, the local PSF did not want to rock the boat, and the Action Française apparently didn't care either way.”

“Thank God” Paganon grunted as he sat down heavily. “Still. I'll have a talk to Bouët and Surleau.”

Hougron and Pignet traded a look : unless they managed to mollify their boss, there was no doubt Paul Bouët, the Préfet of the Bouche-du-Rhône area, and Frédéric Surleau, the special Administrator who ran Marseille since the city had been placed under trusteeship the year before, were in for a trip to the wooden shed. By common and silent agreement, the two aides decided to let the local authorities have it.

Fqflhi6.jpg

Paule Pignet, one of France's fist women in a position of power

“The Préfecture de Police is compiling the last Paris stations”, added Jacques Lusseau, the third and youngest member of Paganon's top aides. “The results from Lyon and Bordeaux are definitive and have been authenticated by the Préfectures.”

“How does it look?” asked Paganon, finally allowing himself to ask the question.

As Minister of the Interior, he would have to announce the results in less than two hours, results that would define the future of the French Republic. Never before, Paganon thought, had an election carried so much weight. A hitherto unimportant affair, the election to the Presidency of the French Republic had been, for the past sixty years, a simple parliamentary procedure. After a few rounds which allowed to candidates to measure up their influence over députés and senators, political parties struck deals that rapidly allowed the emergence of a winner. It was, many thought, an exercise in futility, since the Third Republic granted little power to its Presidents, who were largely eclipsed by the Prime Minister and by the Parliament itself. Time and time again, politicians and commentators of the chose publique had lamented this state of affairs, which made the governmental action depend on the fragile and ever-changing alliances that dominated the French political landscape. Their calls for urgent reform had, for decades, fallen on deaf ears, as the members of the Parliament saw no urgency in changing a system that placed them at the top of the political food chain. In the cafés, that informal Senate which held permanent session in every French village, the parliamentary Republic was largely seen as a hotbed of impotence, incompetence and corruption, a feeling that had largely fueled the ranks of anti-democratic movements and anti-government demonstrations. In the Senate's anterooms, as well as in the cafés' backrooms, everybody felt the Third Republic was living on borrowed time: sooner or later, there would come a crisis the regime would prove unable to weather. Some longed for it. Others called for one last effort before it was too late, and predicted a harsh day of reckoning when Fascism or Communism would prevail over representative democracy.

One such Cassandras had been André Tardieu, who, after two short terms as Prime Minister and a lifetime of public service, harboured no illusion about the regime's chances of survival if it didn't embrace structural reform. In January of 1934, he had published yet another call for action, a severe verdict on the Republican system titled 'The reform of the State'. The book had attracted polite reviews from friendly newspapers, and little else, as Tardieu himself expected. He was approaching 60, and had basically given up on his dreams of reforming the régime. The Third Republic, it seemed, would never accept change, and as a result would one day succumb to its addiction to Byzantine politics and weak institutions. It was time, Tardieu felt, to let others deal with the incoming crisis, and go tend his roses and grow his wine in his Menton mansion. History, as it happened, had other plans. One month after the publication of Tardieu's book, on the 6th of February, the 1934 riots had broken up, and the Croix de Feu “legal coup” had swept La Rocque in power. Tardieu, who had slept late, had barely had time to read the account of the riots in the morning newspapers when La Rocque's chief of staff had rang at his door. Richemont had asked a simple question: would President Tardieu help the new Prime Minister with the daunting task of establishing a new Republic? Tardieu had been so astonished he had opened the morning edition of Le Figaro to verify the man sitting in his salon really was the one photographed besides La Rocque as the retired Colonel entered the Assemblée Nationale. After that, everything had happened quickly. On the first of March, Tardieu was made Minister for Constitutional Reform. In April, a group composed of respected law scholars as well as bright young minds had started writing a draft for a new Constitution. In the spring of 1935, that Constitution had been approved by the two-thirds of the Parliament, whose members had either been convinced it was time to reform, or swayed by a battery of INSEE polls that showed clearly in what little esteem the parliamentary system – and its partisans – were held by the voters. In total, sixty nine percent of the voting députés and senators had put the troubled Third Republic to rest in an unexpectedly dignified way, and had ushered in the Fourth Republic. Tonight's election was the first test of the new Republican avatar.

“It looks pretty good, sir. It seems the PSF could enjoy a comfortable lead nationwide” said Lusseau, cross-checking a wad of electoral results. “We stand poised to win big in Paris and Lyon intra muros, even though it must be noted that, in both areas, the 'red belt' largely voted for the Social-Radicals. But hear this: voter turnout in the old Communist bastions is down twelve percent compared to the last legislative elections, while it has gone up almost everywhere else.”

“Twelve percent?” exclaimed Paganon, almost bolting out of his chair.

“I talked to Mouriez, my Renseignements Généraux contact at the Préfecture. He's a field guy, really knows what he's talking about. He says the clandestine Communist party has given contradictory instructions to their militants. It seems Celor sent word to vote for the PSR in the name of 'antifascim', but flyers signed Thorez have circulated as well, telling workers to boycott the election entirely.”

“By God! That is fantastic!”

It was the Parti Communiste Français' second year of clandestinity since La Rocque's government had ordered its dissolution, and sent the police to raid its facilities. Initially happy to play the role of the Conservatives' most vocal opponent in the Assemblée Nationale, the PCF had turned to a more confrontational stance when France opposed the Soviet coup in Spain in 1937. When French forces entered the Iberian peninsula to re-establish the old Republican regime, Communist demonstrations had rapidly turned to violent protests, and the strikes organized by the Communist CGT union had rapidly degenerated into acts of sabotage. In the Assemblée Nationale, debates with Communist députés had more than once turned into insult contests, and even brawls. Through its informers infiltrated in Communist-dominated unions, as well as in the Marxist party itself, the Directorate of the Renseignement Généraux had established the PCF had been ordered to hamper France's war effort in Spain as much as possible, by disrupting production, destroying supplies, or committing acts of industrial sabotage in armament factories. More gravely even, the RG report had stated that while the Communist leaders refused to resort to blind terrorism, such as train derailments, they also doubted they could prevent such actions at the local level, as activist groups had already begun to organise depots of stolen weapons and explosives. In the end of June, the government had decided enough was enough: it was time to ban the Communist Party, as well as a smattering of Fascist Leagues. Under the guise of preparing the 14th of July military parade, scores of troops and Gardes Mobiles had been sent to every town and city which was either Communist-run or known Communist bastions. In the countryside, Gendarmerie squads and local police had stood ready to raid Fascist safe-houses. No sooner had the Champs-Elysées military parade finished that the order had been given to raid every office belonging to the PCF and its parent union, the Confédération Générale du Travail, and to arrest cell leaders and known saboteurs. While the operation had allowed the police to collect extensive intelligence on PCF membership, as well as to dismantle dozens of hidden depots, it had failed to decapitate the Communist party. Contrary to their Fascist counterparts, the French Communists were highly disciplined and had long prepared for clandestine activity. Almost overnight, the PCF had shed its official organisation and run underground. Like most of the Communist leadership, PCF leaders Pierre Celor and Maurice Thorez were supposed to still be in France, using false identities and hiding in safe houses, from which they maintained a minimal activity. Their safety had come with a price : deprived of a unified command, and losing ground to the still-authorized Parti Populaire Français, the PCF leadership was splintering. One group, led by Pierre Celor, advocated support for the Blum-Daladier ticket. The other, dominated by Maurice Thorez and Jacques Duclos, urged a closer alignment of the clandestine party with the Moscow-dominated Third Internationale. To Paganon, the low turnout in the voting stations meant that the clandestine movement had reached the point where it had become unable to mobilize its electorate to boost the Social-Radical ticket, which was great news indeed for the PSF.

I3De03F.jpg

Populist leader Jacques Doriot's ascension helped divide the Communist electorate

“And that's not all” added Pignet. “The INSEE exit polls show the PSF has made inroads in worker districts as well, not enough to unseat the Social-Radicals of course, but in this election every vote counts.”

“Chalk one up for the Reindustrialization Program”, chuckled Hougron.

“By God, but it does look good indeed!” exclaimed Paganon, who felt awash with relief. If the PSF lost that first election, he knew, it meant the end of everything that had been constructed since 1934.

“Maurras must be livid” said Lusseau. “The Action Française might not survive tonight, they are stuck with single-digit scores in practically every voting station. Pétain's prestige is going to take a serious hit – I doubt the Maréchal will forgive the AF for that.”

“He should never have stepped down from his pedestal” said Paganon. “Six months ago Pétain was like Dieu le Père. Now that he has raked the mud with the rest of us, that's the end of his legend. Oh well. I am sure we'll offer some olive branch to soothe his pride. Tell me, Lucien, what's our program for tonight ?”

“The counting operations stop in one hour. Your car will take you to the Elysée Palace – we have a few journalists here to cover your departure, but they know the drill, they won't ask about the results. They're just here to get some additional material for their colleagues who'll be at the Elysée anyway. President Lebrun and the Prime Minister will be at the Elysée, as well as the other candidates. They'll welcome you at the steps of the honor yard, and you will officially give them the envelope with the results. Four rows of photographers will be there, as well as radio reporters. You'll deliver the results – microphones have been installed by major French and foreign radio stations. Then the candidates will make a short speech – thirty minutes for the victor, ten minutes for each of the defeated candidates. The evening concludes with the Republican dinner, nothing major since tomorrow at the crack of dawn there will be the official ceremony of power transfer, and the announcement of the new government.”

“I am exhausted already” sighed Paganon. “Just make sure I don't get seated next to Pétain at the dinner, will you?”

d8iwA0g.jpg

It is the end of a long evening at the Ministère de l'Intérieur on that evening of 1939

Paris, the Saint-Roch Church, May the 10th, 1939

“Bless me father, for I have sinned” said the young man in the confessional, his voice trembling a little. “It has been a week since my last confession.”

“Take heart, my son”, replied the priest softly. “Tell me, what sins have you committed?”

Monsignor Jean de Mayol de Lupé allowed himself a smile. Whatever sins the young lad thought he had burdened his soul with in the past seven days, he was quite certain they had not put his salvation in danger. The boy came from a family the priest knew well, having been his parents' confessor for the past thirty years. Jean-Marie Bouvyers was the third child of a respectable and devout Christian family from the Nièvre countryside, in central-western France. He was born in what the priest considered the “real” France, a country of fields and churches where proud traditions defied the trappings of modern society. Monsignor de Lupé abhorred modern society, with its constant pursuit of material wealth, its relentless assault on spiritual values, and its corroding of Christian conscience. Wherever he turned his eyes, he saw social unrest, envy, crass materialism. And, most odiously, he saw what to him had long become the mark of Satan himself: the Marianne effigies and the tricolor flag of the loathed republic.

“I… have lusted after a woman”, blurted the young man, and even through the latticed panel of the confessional the priest saw him blush violently. For this sin and all the sins of my past life, I ask absolution and penance from you, Father”

“Oh?” said the confessor. He repressed a smile. Having served as a divisional chaplain in the Great War, he had heard his share of raunchy confessions from sex-starved first-line soldiers, and doubted young Jean-Marie had much to say on the subject of lust. “Desire is not a sin per se, my son. God does not forbid the inclinations of the heart, as long as you do not covet another man's wife. Who is the young woman you have longed after?”

“It's Hélène de Fontreilles” said Bouvyers.

“Ah! Ah, yes, she is a fine young girl” replied the priest, his heart suddenly heavier. The de Fontreilles were another family he knew well, militantly Christian, and, like himself, just as militantly Action Française. The confessor knew their daughter Hélène well, a fine young girl indeed, vibrant, full of energy, who divided her life between her classes in a Nevers private school and tennis, which she played whenever she could. No doubt young Jean-Marie had fallen for her during one tennis match at the Fontreilles' country house, which was a stone's throw from the Bouvyers'. In any other circumstances, the confessor would have leaped in joy at the prospect of bringing these two youngsters together, as the quiet Jean-Marie and the vibrant Hélène would have made a beautiful couple. He would have helped the young man's infatuation blossom into a durable union, and gently nudged both families into this marriage. And a beautiful marriage it would have been, the priest knew. That he had to crush that happy prospect underfoot was, for Jean de Mayol de Lupé, another heinous crime the despicable Republic would soon have to answer for.

“Now tell me: has this gone beyond mere desire?” he asked.

“No, father” the young man replied, shaking his head. “I think of her often, but I haven't told her yet.”

“Have you confessed your affection to her? Did you talk with her, or write to her?” asked the priest.

“Only in a journal.”

“Good” said the priest softly, sighing his relief. It was a much different path he had chosen for Jean-Marie, and, hurtful as it was, he had to make sure the lad neither abandoned their project, which would be a grave setback for Mayol de Lupé, nor revealed . “Still, I think it would be best not to leave that journal at home. We have to think of what will happen afterwards, you know. Best not to cause young Hélène more sorrow than would be strictly necessary.”

“Yes, father” replied Jean-Marie. “I'll call my brother today and tell him to burn it. Father, I must know… What I am about to do, is it right? I mean, this goes contrary to scripture, doesn't it?”

Ah, thought the confessor. Doubt. It finally comes. Well, it had to be expected.

“Jean-Marie, I know how difficult it must be to you. And I am immensely proud of you, my son, for accepting to sacrifice your tranquility, your safety, and maybe even your life in the hope to achieve greater justice for your fellow man. I can imagine how the immensity of what you are about to accomplish weighs upon your young shoulders. But fear nothing, Jean-Marie, for it is right. You are not alone. Throughout History Man has tried to live up in accordance to what the Bible teaches us, and has often found it difficult. It is, indeed, for we live in an imperfect world. Under the guise of political freedom, the minions of the Adversary lure us away from God. Under the guise of science, they chip away at our faith. We must react, my son, we must defend what is rightfully ours. And this is the deep, spiritual meaning of what you are about to accomplish”

“What if… other people die?”

“I am certain you will be careful. And as long as your heart and your intentions are pure, that will not tarnish your name nor your soul. Fear not, my son. God knows your heart better than you, and he will forgive you as I do. Christ died to redeem us from our sins, past, present and future. Time has no meaning for Him. Now, my son, it's time for us to go prepare. Let me hear your act of contrition.”

“O my God, I am sorry for having offended you. I detest all my sins, because I dread the loss of heaven and the pains of hell; but most of all because they offend you, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of your grace, to sin no more, to do penance, and to amend my life. Amen.”

“Amen. I bless you my son. Through my blessing, God forgives your sins, as he will forgive all of ours – past, present, and future ones. Be assured that even if you find your path arduous, you will walk in His grace.”

The young man signed himself and left the confessional. He felt relieved and tried to focus to what now needed to be done. Walking to the nearest pew, he picked his raincoat, which he had draped upon his camera case. He checked he had his press card, which identified him as a photographer for the right-wing L'Oeuvre. Without it, he would not be able to access the building at all. A glance at his watch made him realize he barely had time to call his brother about the journal, and he finally decided against it. Better use what little time he had left to make sure he could have a spot in the front row. Thinking of what laid ahead, Jean-Marie Bouvyers stepped out of the church and hailed a cab.

“The Elysée Palace, quick!”

Inside the Church, Monsignor Mayol de Lupé entered the sacristy where Father Girouard, the usual curé of Saint-Roch, was preparing for the Compline service.

“Thank you for having allowed me to use your confessional” he said, rapidly changing into civilian clothes.

“It was my pleasure” replied Girouard, a simple, affable man. “I am certain it made a difference for the young man, to be able to receive the blessing of his confessor.”

“Let us hope so!” said Mayol de Lupé with a tired smile. “But I have high hopes for this young man. Yes, high hopes indeed”

gxoQDdd.jpg

Monsignor Jean de Mayol de Lupe

An hour later, Monsignor de Mayol de Lupé entered a small flat, rue Baudelique, in the 18th district. Throwing his coat over a chair, he walked directly to the telephone and placed an inter-city call. When the phone rang a few minutes after, the conversation was kept to a minimum.

“This is Byzantium speaking”

“Speak, Byzantium. Will he do it?”

“Yes. No doubt about it now.”

“Excellent. You have someplace to go?”

“I have taken my dispositions.”

“Good. Safe travels, then.”

As Monsignor Mayol de Lupé left the flat, his correspondent placed another call to alert the next link in the chain of command. Thirty minutes later, the last call was placed by the Berlin switchboard to a top-floor office in the Prinz-Albrecht-Strasse Once again, the conversation was short and to the point. At the Albert, as the building was commonly known to most Berliners, it was no secret that SS-Gruppenführer Heydrich liked efficiency.

And now… à la grâce de Dieu! thought Walter Schellenberg.

Paris, the Quai d'Orsay, that same evening

“His excellency Aristide de Sousa Mendes, ambassador of Portugal and madame!” exclaimed the usher as the newest member of the Parisian diplomat corps entered the old ballroom.

“Here comes the ingenue of the ball”, mused Otto Abetz, making a small gesture towards the Portuguese diplomats who was being greeted by the French Foreign Minister.

“Excellent analysis!” said Prescott Bush, the american ambassador, raising his glass of champagne to salute the German's witticism. “But who will court senhor de Sousa Mendes first now? You, perhaps Otto? Unless our hosts want to try to woo him first, of course. Paul seems awfully keen to show our new colleague around.”

“And how about Sir Ronald?” replied Abetz, turning towards Campbell, the new representative of the Court of Saint James. “We all know the British Crown has vested interest in Lusitanian affairs, after all, ever since Napoleon at least. Of course, this is now a very different Portugal. President Salazar might want to look for friends in different places...”

“Old friendships do not die, Herr Abetz”, Campbell replied curtly, with a side glance towards the Third Reich's ambassador. “Our amity might be hard to earn, but once offered we live up to it.”

Despite Abetz' charm and affability, the Briton neither liked nor trusted his German colleague, and did little to pretend otherwise. Naturally, his position made it necessary to conceal his opinions behind a façade of impeccable yet icy politeness, but in private he considered Abetz a pretentious amateur. Sir Ronald Hugh Campbell had only arrived in Paris three months before, having left his Belgrade embassy when the National Government had deemed it necessary to reshuffle the diplomatic cards all over Europe. None of his colleagues ignored that it was Campbell's vocal denunciations of the Reich's aggressive policies in South-Eastern Europe that had earned him the attention of the upper echelons of the Foreign Office, and many said Foreign Minister Anthony Eden himself had handpicked Campbell to make sure that a firmer hand would lead the Paris embassy, after Tyrell and Phipps' repeated calls for appeasement with Berlin during their terms.

CALdnDa.jpg

German Ambassador Otto Abetz

“Everybody's here” commented Bush, eager to defuse the tension. “Look at Stucki, trying to evade the Romanian chargé d'affaires.”

“That's what you get for accepting to represent the Soviets in the name of Swiss neutrality” sighed Vollgruber, the Austrian ambassador, as his colleague Stucki was trying to catch the attention of a waiter while at the same time pretending to lend a sympathetic ear to his Balkans colleague, who was complaining about tariffs slapped on Rumanian cement.

France's intervention in Spain to bring down the Soviet-style government in Madrid had led to a rupture of diplomatic relationships between the République and the Soviet Union. Ambassador Bogomolov had left Paris in a huff the day after Madrid fell to Franco-Spanish forces, while Coulondre, his opposite number in Moscow, had been expelled three days later. After several months of diplomatic uncertainty, during which the Quai d'Orsay had hoped things would go back to normal, a telegram from Stalin's Commissariat for Foreign Affairs had informed Paris that the representatives of the peoples of the Soviet Union saw “no reason to re-establish direct diplomatic relations with the current Fascist French government”, and that the USSR called upon Switzerland to take care of Soviet interests in France.

“Mesdames et Messieurs! Please ! Mesdames et Messieurs!”

The brouhaha of conversation died down and heads turned around as Paul Reynaud, France's Foreign Minister and likely candidate to lead the next government if the PSF candidate won, walked to the middle of the room. Behind him, two ushers carried a large radio set, which they installed on a small table in the middle of the ballroom.

“It is now five minutes to eight!” said Reynaud. “In a few minutes, France will have spoken and we will know who will be at the nation's helm for the next seven years.”

“And whether you'll keep your job”, quipped Abetz sottovoce, earning an irate look from Campbell. Reynaud's intervention had caught him halfway to the hors-d'oeuvres, and he had every intention of enjoying this soirée to the fullest extent, regardless of the results. He had already written two reports for the Wilhelmstrasse the day before – one for each probable winner – and he'd just have to add some minor details here and there to make them a little livelier. Ribbentrop liked diplomatic gossip, and Abetz was certain that, Champagne helping, he'd overhear some juicy anecdote to make his minister happy. If all else failed, he could just walk to Codreanu and start a conversation about the statute of Transsylvania, or to Stucki about the Swiss' desire to acquire Messerschmidt fighters.

“We all know how crucial these years will be” continued Reynaud, “as the specter of war haunts not only Europe, but the entire world. To diplomats like us, these will be harrowing years, years of great perils and greater challenges. I am confident, though, that we will be able to confront those challenges together, in a spirit of cooperation, and even of friendship.”

“Well said” commented Campbell, loud enough to make sure the German ambassador heard him.

“I thus look forward to pursuing our work together”, concluded Reynaud, “as it has been, in the past two years, not only my duty but my privilege. Thank you, gentlemen, and let us now hear the voice of France!”

“Finally!” groaned Abetz, moving to the table where the last oysters of the season had been piled up.

Amidst the applause – some sincere, some merely polite, Reynaud turned on the radio set. With a crackling sound, the speakers that had been installed around the room came to life, and the recognizable voice of Jean Nohain, the star reporter from Radio-Paris.

NC3X7L6.jpg

Radio journalist Jean Nohain

...of the Interior's car is now entering the honor yard of the Elysée Palace, I can see the Republican Guard standing to attention, their swords drawn to salute as the Président de la République and the Prime Minister have now reached the steps of the Elysée – you cannot see it but it is now a deluge photographers' flashes here, real fireworks as every news agency wants to immortalize this moment, me and my technicians have shimmy in our eyes, reporters are trying to get past the red cordon to get closer pictures. Mr Paganon has now emerged from the car, he has.. yes! He has a large, sealed manila envelope in his hand, no doubt it is the official results, Messieurs Lebrun and de La Rocque are waiting for him halfway, I can see the Président de la République, Mr Lebrun seems quite moved by this moment. The Prime Minister looks confident! The Interior Minister salutes the press, photographers are asking him to show the envelope, it's going to be another barrage of flashes but … hey, wait ! Watch it, buddy you cannot just... Oof! Wait ! Wait ! Stop !!

As the diplomats shared quizzical looks, the speakers suddenly erupted into loud bangs and a flurry of incoherent sounds, mixed with static. Nohain's voice had gone off air and so, it seemed, had the whole Elysée Palace. Amidst the confusion of noises, they could hear, however faintly, several voices that seemed far away, uttering fragments of phrases that seemed carried by the wind over a great distance.

“...bulance! Now! ….Is he is he is dead? …..Bon Dieu de m… has been hit! Take him inside! Inside, quick!….have been shot!… Here ! We’ve got two more !“

Abetz, who had been serving himself a generous portion of oysters, had frozen in mid-gesture, one mollusc still in hand, eyes fixed on the floor as his brain raced to catch up with his ears. Looking up in shock, he saw Campbell and Bush staring at him in disbelief. To his horror, it seemed the whole room was looking at him.

“What?” he asked, nervously. “WHAT?

Game effects :

The PSF seems poised to win the presidential elections, and win a majority of députés to carry on its programs. I'll give the composition of the French government in the next update, since, as you can see, there's some confusion as to who's still alive and who's not.

Writer's notes :

Paule Pignet is a historical character. In 1933, she became France's first bâtonnier (a senior position among lawyers, arbitrating professional disputes). I figured she would make a nice addition to the Interior Minister's senior staff, as France had very few women in powerful positions in the 1930s.

The city of Marseille had been placed under a trusteeship in 1938 after a disastrous fire had destroyed a large shopping mall called the Nouvelles Galeries, killing 73. Mismanagement of rescue efforts by the mayor, Henri Tasso, and suspicions of corruption at the highest levels of the City Hall led to his being deposed by the government (several very high ranking politicians were in Marseille for a political convention when the fire occurred, and were direct witnesses to the event, which kinda drove the last nails in Tasso's coffin). In 1939, the trusteeship was still in place. Mr Frédéric Surleau did head the trusteeship, and Paul Boüet was the Préfet of the département (yes I'm that fixated on historical detail sometimes).

The Préfecture de Police is an odd heritage from Napoleon's love-hate relationship with Paris. Every French département has a Préfecture, housing the Préfet who is the local delegate of the government at the local level. In Paris, the Préfecture de Police has authority on law and order services, as well as other forms of law enforcement (delivering papers to foreign visitors, policing bars and restaurants, etc).

La chose publique is a French way of talking about public life, public service, and the République. It is a translation of the Roman Res Publica.

Of André Tardieu, I already talked at the beginning of Crossfires. A career diplomat and real statesman, he lamented the fragility of the Third Republic institutions. He published several books about the urgent necessity to reform, including 'The Reform of the State', in 1934 (and, in OTL, 'The necessary Revolution in 1937'). In the Crossfires ATL, Tardieu is the inspirator of the Fourth Republic and the main author of the 1935 Constitution.

The INSEE, France's National Statistics Institute, was created after WW2 in OTL. I used it here as part of the modernization of the French Republic, but know that ever since 1833 there was a statistics bureau operating in France, in some form or another. In OTL, pre-1946 statistics were compiled by the Bureau of the Statistique Générale de la France (SGF), which I totally would have used in Crossfires had I discovered its existence before I fast-forwarded the INSEE into existence !

The French Communist Party (PCF) has been banned in this ATL as a result of a game event, and also since I don't think its legal existence would have survived the demise of Soviet Spain at the hands of French soldiers. I banned the Fascist Parties as well, but in France they never got very far in terms of membership or votes (I'm talking about truly Fascist parties here, not the Action Française which was a hodgepodge of Royalism, Boulangism, and Fascism). With the PCF gone clandestine, a boulevard has opened for Jacques Doriot's Parti Populaire Français, which is probably what is closest to a French Fascist Party, composed of disenfranchised Communists, Croix de Feu (though, obviously less so in this ATL) and Action Française. The Social-Radical alliance of Blum and Daladier also stand to gain from the disparition of Communist candidates, while the PSF can hope to steal some of the Social-Radical thunder as France's economy improves.

Pierre Celor was one of the PCF leaders with Maurice Thorez, Jacques Duclos and Henri Barbé. In OTL, he and Barbé (who then joined Doriot's PPF) fell in disgrace with the Soviet-dominated Komintern and were evicted. In my ATL, Celor is still a member of the PCF Political Bureau, but disagreements with Thorez are starting to show.

Monsignor Jean de Mayol de Lupé was a Roman Catholic priest and WW1 veteran, who belonged to the military and religious Constantinian Order of St George. An avowed enemy of the French Republic, in OTL he joined the Légion des Volontaires Français contre le bolchévisme which was deployed against the Russians, as the unit's chaplain. He earned the Iron Cross under German uniform for his stint with the LVF. When the remnants of the LVF were versed into the Charlemagne SS Division, Mayol de Lupé again became the unit's chaplain. In this TL, his hatred for the Republic has not abated, and he has become an active part in a SD plot, with the help of “lost soldiers” from the Action Française and other extremist groups. The Saint Roch church is sometimes used by the Constantinian Order of St George (yet another sign of my fixations on small details, which I hope will allow me to commit much bigger historical blunders)

Jean-Marie Bouvyers was a young member of the Cagoule who in OTL took part in the assassination, in 1937, of two Italian exiles who had fled Mussolini's regime, the Rosselli brothers. Bouvyers, then under twenty, was also a good friend of a like-minded young student named François Mitterrand, who like other Cagoule members joined the Resistance in 1943, after being disillusioned by the Vichy régime, and eventually became President of the French Republic forty years later. In this TL, with a staunchly Conservative government in Paris, the Cagoule never became more than a minor – yet active - terrorist group, whose militants eventually fled France in 1937 for the relative security of Fascist Italy. As we saw waaaaaaay earlier, the group has been manipulated by French intelligence into assassinating Mussolini, and its members have for the most part been killed after the deed as neither French and Italian services wanted to leave loose ends behind. Young Bouvyers therefore hasn't committed any crime, but he remains a Cagoule sympathizer and a hothead. As such, he is a nice pawn for others, like Monsignor Mayol de Lupé to play.

Aristide de Sousa Mendes was Portugal's consul in Bordeaux in OTL, a role that earned him the gratitude of many French Jews as he delivered them passports to escape to Portugal, twisting the instructions of his government to allow for more emigration. As it seems his once-promising career ran into some snags in OTL, I chose to honour his memory by giving him the advancement he could have enjoyed earlier, and make him the Estado Novo's full ambassador to the French Republic.

Sir Ronald Hugh Campbell was a British career diplomat. In OTL, he went from envoy to the Kingdom of Yugoslavia to ambassador in France, a somewhat uncommonly quick promotion apparently fully justified by his professional qualities. He arrived in Paris in July, 1939. I have no idea what his positions regarding Germany were, but I suppose that in that last summer of peace time had finally run out for appeasement partisans. Also, I have no idea when he was knighted, and you wouldn't believe how much that bothered me.

Jean Nohain was a French radio journalist, and in OTL a Free French soldier who took part to the Liberation of Paris (and earned a German bullet in the face for his trouble).

Last edited:
There, finally done! Next update will clear up the Parisian situation and take us away from Europe to share the plight of those tasked with defending the borders of the French colonial empire.

Well that is one way to upset the apple-cart.

Now that was a rollercoaster of an update, as a fellow tiny detail obsessive I sympathise with your Knighthood-date mystery issues and applaud the research into Marseilles.

Some interesting characters and as others have said a very dramatic cliffhanger. I particularly liked Abetz's reaction at the end and the build up to it, it was a great bit of writing and ended on a very vivid image. Excellent work.

I wondered when Mayol de Lupé was going to appear i this TL... If he gets caught for his role in this mess, he may end up visiting Berlin in the belly of a French bomber and then, a fast fall without a parachute.

Oh and on the VP, the US VP (currently Mike Pence) is also the president (speaker) of the senate. This is however usually done by the majority party through the President Pro Tempare (Google it, Tempare not spelt right) and his appointees (other senators) (this led to funny scenarios like VP Al Gore overseeing congress ratifying the electoral college votes (and his defeat to Bush II (America Strikes Back) in the 2000 election).

But to my point why don't you have a president and a VP run on a single ticket (so the VP can also bask in the glow of the people or whatever). Then if the president is oh I don't know killed by a nazi assassin or something, the VP takes over, organises elections in a couple of months or so, and most importantly doesn't interrupt the president of the senate from his president of the senateing (senateing, the word senate with ing put on the end, oh while I am at it for a French person your English is top notch (better than some Americans probably))

Well, the French system is based on the 1958 Constitution of the Fifth Republic, which was largely inspired by de Gaulle and by his experience of the Third Republic's weaknesses (which also afflicted the Fourth). De Gaulle felt that whoever governed France had to be, quite personally, chosen by the French people, so he'd have real legitimacy if and when it became necessary to take extraordinary measures (the 5th Republic was born in a time of crisis, and it really shows when you consider the powers held by a French President even in every day business). You can see that in our Presidential élections : the winner automatically has the majority of the popular vote, and his legitimacy can not be doubted because he reached this 50,1% threshold.

I suppose the 1958 legislatorst felt that electing a President-VP ticket would have diluted somewhat that bond between the Executive branch and the country. You'd have a weaker Président IMHO. Also, why bother with a permanent VP when you can borrow the Senate Président for a few weeks, and let him organise things so a next, fully-elected Président can rise through the popular vote?

If de Gaulle had been assassinated during his terms (and there were a dozen attempts at least, with machine-guns and explosives) there would not have been a single day of vacancy of power. The President of the Senate would immediately and automatically have become President of the Republic, and new élections would have been organised, after which the President of the Senate would have reverted to his normal role and a new, popularly-elected President would have exerted the power. In 1969 and 1974 (de Gaulle resigning after a lost referendum, Pompidou dying from cancer), the system worked as planned despite the rather extraordinary circumstances.

Thanks for my English, but I still wince when I see the horrible mistakes I still make! I proof-read my Election chapter last night and boy was my face red.

I wondered when Mayol de Lupé was going to appear i this TL... If he gets caught for his role in this mess, he may end up visiting Berlin in the belly of a French bomber and then, a fast fall without a parachute.

An interesting character for sure. As always, writing a CF chapter keeps me wondering whether some individual trajectories would have been the same without the Popular Front (like the Cagoulards). In his case, I supposed nothing short of the downfall of the Republic would have satisfied this priest. Not sure what I'll make of him now (if anything)!

Now that was a rollercoaster of an update, as a fellow tiny detail obsessive I sympathise with your Knighthood-date mystery issues and applaud the research into Marseilles.

Some interesting characters and as others have said a very dramatic cliffhanger. I particularly liked Abetz's reaction at the end and the build up to it, it was a great bit of writing and ended on a very vivid image. Excellent work.

Many thanks, El Pip! I hesitated for half an hour: should Abetz say "Sir Ronald" or not? That's the kind of manic-obsessive thing that makes me sure I won't ever become a professional writer!

Marseilles was a surprise. I only wanted to quote the correct name for the mayor and bam, I stumbled upon the Nouvelles Galeries story. Organized crime, Daladier, heroism, the stuff for a real historical novel, literally.

I had Abetz' final scene in mind for quite some time, actually. In most fiction the Nazis are either super-über conspirators or bumbling fools, it was tempting to have one wrongfully accused of something he could have done for once.

As for the general tone of the update, I did not want things to go automatically in France's favour. The Communists are banned but still active, and their demise strengthens a Populist-Fascist party. French Fascists are kept in check but can nevertheless strike at the heart of the Republic. The waters are still muddied, the chips have not fallen yet, that's what keeps the pen alert-ish. I don't remember how you called these "magical wishes" AARs, but to me they would be as boring to write as they usually are to read. When the villains suddenly lose 50 points of IQ and keep playing right into the "good" guys' hand, where's the suspense?

Oh my word, WHAT AN UPDATE! I have no words to describe how pleased (is that really the right word? Whatever...) I am to see the Cagoulelards return to shake another government to its core. Le Cagoule is turning out to be a prior-day Propaganda Due (or maybe Gladio Organization, or... I'm struggling to come up with a more appropriate analogy, so that'll have to do) and the intrigue is wonderful to watch. It's like a combination of American Tabloid, The Tears of Autumn, and The Collapse of the Third Republic.

Question, you mention Codraneu in passing as the Romanian chargé d'affaires, that's not THE Codreanu, is it? Mr. Căpitanul hisself? Him being alive would be an interesting butterfly in and of itself (although I imagine not in a terribly good way for the Kingdom or the Little Entente) and I imagine the man who founded three different flavors of death squad would be more than willing to get mixed up in a little bit of ultra-Rightist anti-Republican intrigue.

EDIT: Also, I should just mention that this AAR has made me develop an interest in interwar French history, which is very frustrating because English language sources on it are... not always of the highest quality or the greatest depth.