• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To revive the tread a bit I would like to hear your opinion about the triggers for the war in Croatia.

By the time war triggers we already have JNA confined to barracks in parts of Croatia, away from Serb dominated areas, as part of Croatia decision to limit JNA movement following the war in Slovenia. In game that means we have dormant JNA units waiting decision to break through or defend in case CRO player attacks.

So far we have several options for a player to react and start the war;
- Krajina will push for provinces where Serbs live and each incident will provide an option to CRO reaction. So far I've scripted 4 incidents:
Plitivice, Glina, Borovo Selo and Pakrac incidents - AI chance is 0 to start war. There were other incidents (e.g. Kijevo) which may be added at later point.

Both Croatians and Serbs view these incidents as start of the war. However, for gaming reasons we needed an event after which we have persistent battalion sized engagements. I have decided for following:

Each of the SAOs have a last incident which starts the war no matter what. This is driven by Serbs.
- Krajina - operation Stinger - attack on Una valley (27/7)
- Western Slavonia - operation Okucani - fictive operation as Banja Luka Corps crossed Sava river (16/8)
- East Slavonia - operation Vukovar - fictive operation to link Serb villages in Eastern Slavonia (23/8)

JNA from Banja Luka, Zagreb and Knin Corps will actively take part in operations on Serbian side - without actual war between Croatia and Yugoslavia (lots of scripting). I am still scripting Eastern Slavonia entering the war and level of JNA involvement there is still unclear (probably Novi Sad and Belgrade Corps).

Croatia will have an option to react to incidents but will also get a chance to declare war once 10% of national provinces are lost (this is additional 10% after war starts). This will start the Battle for Barracks which will trigger full scale war with JNA troops from Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro deploying. Human player has this option enabled as relation with JNA deteriorates.

Please note this blueprint of incidents ( Kupres, Foce, Visegrad, etc..) leading to the war will be used in Bosnia. There will be barracks blockades in Bosnia too.

Sounds great and I'm sure you will implement it nicely to the game. As you know I prefer a game steered through events rather than decisions which should only be for resource/manpower/tech things IMO.

So far I've scripted 4 incidents:
Plitivice, Glina, Borovo Selo and Pakrac incidents

If I understood you correctly it is possible for a Croatian player to declare war at all of these incidents? So two options(war or keep calm) to press when these events occurs?

Each of the SAOs have a last incident which starts the war no matter what. This is driven by Serbs.
- Krajina - operation Stinger - attack on Una valley (27/7)
- Western Slavonia - operation Okucani - fictive operation as Banja Luka Corps crossed Sava river (16/8)
- East Slavonia - operation Vukovar - fictive operation to link Serb villages in Eastern Slavonia (23/8)

So on 27/7 the war starts no matter what, that is the "deadline" for war? What do you mean with fictive operation, AI scripted campaigns or events?

Last edited:
If I understood you correctly it is possible for a Croatian player to declare war at all of these incidents? So two options(war or keep calm) to press when these events occurs?
Correct. AI will not have that chance because otherwise we spend too much time scripting AI when it is ready for war.
So on 27/7 the war starts no matter what, that is the "deadline" for war? What do you mean with fictive operation, AI scripted campaigns or events?
27/7 is 'Danzig or War' event from DH but without peace option. :D
These fictive operations are just events similar to 'Launch Barbarossa'. Operaion Stinger (Zaoka) was an actual operation name so I wanted something similar for all countries.. In Bosnia we will have operation RAM. ;)

Correct. AI will not have that chance because otherwise we spend too much time scripting AI when it is ready for war.

Love it!

27/7 is 'Danzig or War' event from DH but without peace option. :D
These fictive operations are just events similar to 'Launch Barbarossa'. Operaion Stinger (Zaoka) was an actual operation name so I wanted something similar for all countries.. In Bosnia we will have operation RAM. ;)

So Krajina, WS and ES won't get into war with Croatia at the same time? If that is historical then I approve it. :)

Btw what is operation RAM?

So Krajina, WS and ES won't get into war with Croatia at the same time? If that is historical then I approve it. :)
It is all about the scale of the fighting. In WS were occasional kidnapings, shotting but it was reasonably quiet until late August when Banja Luka Corps crossed river.
In ES first large scale fighting occurred around 1/8 with fights around Erdut/Dalj villages.

Battling with two issues at the moment:
1) If wars do not start simultaneously then AI needs to be worked on to change focus
2) If wars do start simultaneously then CRO is usually too weak in July to fight JNA head to head. It needs that month to produce extra 30 battalions.

Btw what is operation RAM?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_Plan

It is all about the scale of the fighting. In WS were occasional kidnapings, shotting but it was reasonably quiet until late August when Banja Luka Corps crossed river.
In ES first large scale fighting occurred around 1/8 with fights around Erdut/Dalj villages.

Battling with two issues at the moment:
1) If wars do not start simultaneously then AI needs to be worked on to change focus
2) If wars do start simultaneously then CRO is usually too weak in July to fight JNA head to head. It needs that month to produce extra 30 battalions.

What is more easier for you to create? I personally like the idea that the three SAO's doesn't enter the war simultaneously, i.e. option 1).

Could you please add this guys photo to GFX package please?

JOVAN-RADULOVICH.jpg

He is Jovan Radulovic. He was a foreign minister in Krajina.

Are you sure he was the foreign minister? Wasn't it Slobodan Jarčević?

I think Radulovic was the first foreign minister, succeeded by Jarcevic. There is a list of all the Krajina governments on the wiki somewhere.

I think Radulovic was the first foreign minister, succeeded by Jarcevic. There is a list of all the Krajina governments on the wiki somewhere.

Okay so Radulovic from start and Jarcevic as an optional minister. No problem but you didn't reply on my question: Will Radulovic be minister of foreign affairs for all three SAOs (Krajina, WS, ES) or maybe only for Krajina proper?

We only have ministers in Krajina proper. There was only an initial short lasting government in Eastern Slavonia. Western Slavonia always strictly linked to Krajina proper.
Don't worry about ministers for these, I think i mostly got them covered.

It will eventually happen. It is not a focus at the moment. Hoping for the first beta in September which will cover 1991 only.

I think it is very stable. From time to time I actually get unhistorical development in Dubrovnik area with either side over-achieving and Western Slavonia is sometimes not closed quickly enough when Serbia enters the war which gets exploited by Serb Alliance.
Overall, 2 out of 3 wars result in very historical results. Very happy with the results but for a CTD I am getting for unknown reason. It is consuming all my time, otherwise would be already working had on the Bosnian war.