• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Galle

Lt. General
70 Badges
Apr 20, 2009
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Ancient Space
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
cRK2WPC.jpg

Overview

It is the year 2998, and galactic civilization stands on the brink of collapse. Led by the charismatic politician Juan Lebedev, a coalition of periphery states have joined together in declaring their independence from the TERRAN CONFEDERATION.

In the face of this rebellion, the Confederation places its hopes in newly-elected President Morgan Afolayan and the good men and women of the CONFEDERATE SPACE COMMAND, charged with returning the defiant outer rim to Earth's control. As darkness falls across the galaxy, ships speed forth from Earth for the first great battle in nearly five hundred years...

Crisis of the Confederation Beta 0.60

Compatible With: Crusader Kings II 3.3.2
Steam Mirror
Dev Build

This new update brings around a new iteration of the Duel Engine and new lifestyle traits for real this time, as well as new genetic engineering options for Bio-Directionists and new events exploring the breakdown of the Confederation in the aftermath of the Crisis. For full details or to get in touch with the team, see our Discord.

Assembled Material From the Old (and New) Thread

Screenshots
bOdSub9.jpg

L4BF26E.jpg

qxeMrxP.jpg

3so0eAG.jpg

UF6v7jL.jpg

twrUqFj.jpg

NJwa6Lm.jpg

Faction Cards
For those curious about the setting's lore, we have created a series of faction cards that summarize the major players of the late 30th century Crisis of the Confederation. You can see them here.

FAQ
What is this?

Crisis of the Confederation is a total conversion mod for Crusader Kings II, set in an original science-fiction universe inspired by Fading Suns, Warhammer 40,000, Foundation, and Dune. It is intended to explore how a modern federal democracy might be transformed into a neo-feudal interstellar empire.

What DLCs are required?
While strictly speaking no DLCs are required, Legacy of Rome and The Republic are both HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The mod's balance (such as it is) assumes that you have Legacy of Rome, and as so many states are republics, The Republic will significantly enhance your playing experience.

Crisis of the Confederation also includes several small submods to allow you to integrate the graphics from the following DLCs:

• African Portraits
  • Mediterranean Portraits
  • Mongol Graphics Pack
  • Persian Portraits
  • Rajas of India
  • Russian Portraits
  • Sunset Invasion

What features does Crisis of the Confederation add to CK2?
  • A brand new setting: the Known Worlds of the 31st century.
  • Twenty new religions, many of which have their own unique mechanics.
  • Appointment as a new, fully-functional succession law with its own mechanics.
  • New technologies, including cloning, genetic engineering, and cybernetics.
  • A completely overhauled set of personality traits, based on the five-factor model.
  • A complete overhaul of the building and military systems.
  • New mechanics that model the internal politics of your state.
  • Too many new plots, decisions, and events to count.

What's up with the missing localizations, placeholder graphics, bugs, and poor balance?
Crisis of the Confederation is only in its Beta release at the moment. It is still in active development. Please report any bugs you discover to this thread. Provide a save file if possible.

Why are some people missing faces?
You haven't installed the mod properly - make sure you only activate portrait submods for which you have the corresponding portrait pack.

Why does the game crash when I try to load a save game?
The Old Gods and Charlemagne are not compatible with this mod. Disable them.

Is this compatible with...
No.

How is space represented in CK2's map and military mechanics?
Crisis of the Confederation operates on the logic of "one province = one star system" and "one holding = one planet." Following from this, most military units are spacecraft, while sieges are planetary invasions. Galleys become special Hyperspace Tunnelers, which can lead standard ships through hyperspace without the aid of a jump gate, while rivers become treacherous nebulae, wherein space pirates and other ne'erdowells lurk.

What are some of Crisis of the Confederation's inspirations?
  • Dune, although largely just for creating the "space feudalism" aesthetic in the first place. I did hide a planet named Dune in tribute, although like most of the straight-up references it's hidden behind a foreign language.
  • The Foundation series in general, and its final novel, Forward the Foundation, in particular. The eponymous Crisis of the Confederation bears a resemblance to both the Crisis of the Roman Republic and the waning years of the Roman Empire, so it's not really surprising that the history of Space Rome was a big inspiration. My favorite part of Forward the Foundation was seeing the endless contortions Trantorian society went through as the Empire died, so expect a lot of that.
  • Fading Suns, from which I'm getting a lot of Dune influence by proxy. In particular, I find the end of the Second Republic really interesting. The Pilgrimage and its reformed version, the Orthodoxy, both owe a lot to Fading Suns' church, as well.
  • BattleTech and its various spin-offs. I am a sucker for all the hereditary "republics" the BattleTech universe has, and plus, it has a lot of cool-sounding titles. I'm making it a point to make it at least possible to have rulers who style themselves as Captains-General, Directors-General, Coordinators, and Archons, and a family by the name of Liao plays a small-but-crucial role in the histories of both Novyy Edem and Xin Zizhiqu.
  • Warhammer 40K - I'm not a big fan of the Grimdark, but I borrowed the Adeptus Mechanicus as a heresy for the cyborg transhumanists.
  • Mobile Suit Gundam and its spinoffs. Not directly, in much of any fashion, but Gundam heavily shaped my opinion of what a good-looking futuristic military uniform looks like, to the point where I can't watching Star Trek without retching a little at their terrible fashion sense. And, obviously, Jion is one giant Gundam homage.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Spaaaace

Huzzah! Going to be a bit weird to have vanilla unit models on the map but we'll just assume it's an inexplicable stylistic flourish those decadent elites like to use.

Reactions:
I downloaded it right away to check out this refreshingly different way of playing CK2!

I started with the Indian rebel queen in the east (sorry, can't recall the name). The republican menu showed ten families. Then the war quickly ended without much bloodshed (Operation Ares was started at 88% warscore and didn't have much of an impact). And when the war was over 4 new families popped up. Kinda odd but I should've probably picked a more prominent player in the war.

So. On january 15th. I get an infinite series of blank event windows... I think something borked. Seems to happen no matter who I play.

Huh, I can't duplicate that. Are you sure the mod is installed correctly? Make sure your checksum is BWTE.

Operations make wars really hard to keep track of... at least if you're playing the Confederation at the start. What exactly is the point of those? I can't remember if you talked about them before.

Also, you'd think Spiritual would have at least some positive advantages attached other than same trait relations. Do Spiritual/Skeptic characters get any special bonuses/maluses within the Pilgrim religion? Or maybe a Spiritual character that isn't a Pilgrim would effectively function as being sympathetic towards Pilgrims and their derivatives.

Checksum Confirmed as BWTE. More interestingly. After reloading. Some of the blank events became... Well. Actual events. Some still remain blank and makes further play unpassable.
Here.
http://i.imgur.com/b8aZxB0.png

Basicly. I am being asked about building every castle in the holy lands possible in vanilla at once. Also I am going on Hajjaj. And Converting Fleet Admiral Shu to islam. Nifty. I tried disabling my DLC but that did not appear to help. I will keep working on troubleshooting. I am going to move various vanilla event files out of the main CK2 event's folder and see if I can figure out which event's are screwing with it.

Edit: Link fix

Last edited:
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE !

Wow, new WTWSMS beta release, new LI (with extended map) release, and now CotC ... Burn, real life, BURN !!

Checksum Confirmed as BWTE. More interestingly. After reloading. Some of the blank events became... Well. Actual events. Some still remain blank and makes further play unpassable.
Here.
http://i.imgur.com/b8aZxB0.png

Basicly. I am being asked about building every castle in the holy lands possible in vanilla at once. Also I am going on Hajjaj. And Converting Fleet Admiral Shu to islam. Nifty. I tried disabling my DLC but that did not appear to help. I will keep working on troubleshooting. I am going to move various vanilla event files out of the main CK2 event's folder and see if I can figure out which event's are screwing with it.

Edit: Link fix

It shouldn't be looking at the vanilla events folder at all! Either there's a bug in the executable somewhere or you didn't install correctly.

I would like to play it, but I cant even extract the file. I'm using a Mac. Maybe you could upload a .zip version too?

There are numerous free programs capable of unzipping a .rar on a Mac. Just google it.

It shouldn't be looking at the vanilla events folder at all! Either there's a bug in the executable somewhere or you didn't install correctly.

There are numerous free programs capable of unzipping a .rar on a Mac. Just google it.

I know, I use some of them(Zipeg, Unrarx, Keka) and still can't extract with any of those programs.

I know, I use some of them(Zipeg, Unrarx, Keka) and still can't extract with any of those programs.

That's bizarre. Probably 7zip's fault somehow. I'll create and upload a .zip as well, then.

Your wild shot in the dark there was. Actually right...

It appears a bug in the executable was the problem. I had the 4GB mem patch installed. After restoring from the backup of the exe. It worked perfectly. Even After re-applying the 4GB mem patch it works. It appears something went horribly wrong last time I did that.

Well I must say I am impressed, as it's Alpha it's bugriddled but that might be installation problems.
First thing I noticed was that when I got my first lover I accepted her declaration immideatly, to have her marry my half brother next day and get the event.
As it was my halfbrother I got the money/prestige event on the same day which was kinda awkward.
So I was like ok care, I can find someone else and noticed a third event without localisation

And the next one did the same with a random courtier filling in.

Overall I liked it though I had no idea what I was doing.
The map looks awesome but I need to get used to how everything looks.

One big thing about the Crisis of the Confederation,
I started a military campaign for the fun and then spotted me being hostile to allies of my liege in the actual war.
This might be logical due to some stuff in basic CK2 but the way I thought militairy campaigns would be done this is not really intended.
I couldn't participate in a single battle or siege because my allies would crush me :/

In the decisions menu there were several open X menu decisions that did nothing but unlock the close X menu decision without popping up a menu.

Overall it's playable but confusing, have good hopes for what this can become

Having a problem with the download. It seems to be corrupted. I've tried redownloading multiple times, but it keeps giving unknown method errors when I try to extract the .rar file and the files extract, but come out... empty. 0kb file size. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Operations make wars really hard to keep track of... at least if you're playing the Confederation at the start. What exactly is the point of those? I can't remember if you talked about them before.

I believe I discussed them in "Retinues, Military Titles, and Appointment." Military campaigns are intended to get your AI military vassals to take an active part in your wars. They're essential to getting the military to be more autonomous.

Also, you'd think Spiritual would have at least some positive advantages attached other than same trait relations. Do Spiritual/Skeptic characters get any special bonuses/maluses within the Pilgrim religion? Or maybe a Spiritual character that isn't a Pilgrim would effectively function as being sympathetic towards Pilgrims and their derivatives.

At the moment they're mostly just inclined towards religious ideologies, but it's conceivable that they could get a sort of inverted version of the "desecration of the holy human form" modifier.

Well I must say I am impressed, as it's Alpha it's bugriddled but that might be installation problems.
First thing I noticed was that when I got my first lover I accepted her declaration immideatly, to have her marry my half brother next day and get the event.
As it was my halfbrother I got the money/prestige event on the same day which was kinda awkward.
So I was like ok care, I can find someone else and noticed a third event without localisation

It sounds like what's actually going on is that she was asking to marry your half-brother and the localization for the event where you're asked to give your permission got mixed up with the localization for the proposal itself. I'll have to fix that in the first patch.

One big thing about the Crisis of the Confederation,
I started a military campaign for the fun and then spotted me being hostile to allies of my liege in the actual war.
This might be logical due to some stuff in basic CK2 but the way I thought militairy campaigns would be done this is not really intended.
I couldn't participate in a single battle or siege because my allies would crush me :/

Yeah, that's been bugging me. I'm going to look into a fix for that if possible.

In the decisions menu there were several open X menu decisions that did nothing but unlock the close X menu decision without popping up a menu.

WAD. Those menus just didn't have any viable options in them at the time.

Having a problem with the download. It seems to be corrupted. I've tried redownloading multiple times, but it keeps giving unknown method errors when I try to extract the .rar file and the files extract, but come out... empty. 0kb file size. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?

Between you and NickRooz, I am beginning to suspect that using 7zip to make a .rar archive was a mistake. There's a .zip version currently awaiting authorization on ModDB, and once it's out you shouldn't have any problems unzipping it.