• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Methone

Banned
16 Badges
Oct 27, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Necroids
There is, at present, a fundamental problem with the crisis.

The crisis is slow. Very slow. When 2.0 came and reworked how colonization and expansion works to be system-by-system, the crisis also got reworked similarly. The crisis must now expand system by system with easily-killable construction ships, and without them, it's simply dead in the water. It can be completely stumped by dedicated fortress worlds. Existing features such as the Unbidden pouncing on anyone attacking their portal, or the Contingency withdrawing its fleets to protect its exposed nexus, are entirely nonfunctional.

Furthermore, the crisis's expansion does not factor in travel time. So what happens is that as the crisis grows, it suddenly slows down immensely as its construction ships build 1 starbase, then travel all the way across its territory to build another, then back again, back and forth. This results in an expansion slowdown so sharp that unless the crisis spawned virtually on top of you, you'll never be in danger. I had a 5x Unbidden spawn and, despite 50 years of being unchallenged, they couldn't expand to more than 60 systems in that time.

Hardly a 'galaxy-threatening menace'.

To solve these problems, I suggest several changes to the existing crises, though perhaps not all of them are required to solve these problems.
The crisis expands with a simple formula: A roamer fleet goes into a system, attacking anything and everything it comes across. Then it holds position until a construction ship arrives. The constructor builds an outpost. The roamer fleet then selects a new system and heads there, repeating the process.

As mentioned earlier, the crisis does not take travel times into account, resulting in a drastic slowdown. However, this also means you can just keep forcing the crisis to backtrack by going behind the 'front line' of roamers waiting for their constructors, slicing up their outposts, and then jumping back out since now they'll have to refill those systems too. Kill the construction ships and it's even slower, especially if you're facing the Contingency who gets a reinforcement event every ~5 years or so.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

Dedicated Planet-killer Roamer Fleets. Instead of selecting a bordering system to go to, some of the crisis's roamer fleets are ones that instead make it their mission to find inhabited worlds and raze them. This, however, would require some changes to pathfinding AI, in case the only inhabited worlds left are hidden behind FTL Inhibitors.
The crisis roams around with armies that are 2k strong. Always. These armies do NOT benefit from increased crisis strength except for making the transport ships have more health. Also, 2k strong is peanuts to a dedicated fortress world's defense armies.

But even if the crisis ground armies were 999k strong, that'd only help somewhat due to Planetary Combat Width; when only something like 8 soldiers of the 999k strong can fight at once, it'll take ages to cut through a dedicated fortress world.

PROPOSED SOLUTION(S):

Let ground armies be boosted by crisis strength. This one is fairly straightforward, but also...

Crisis Colossus. Just like the Materialist Fallen Empire can have a cityworld regardless of if you have Megacorp or not, let the Scourge and the Contingency have the ability to spawn in Colossi. The Unbidden don't need a Colossus as they simply need to 100% devastate a world and it gets torched.

But give the Scourge a special 'infestor' Colossus that instantly infests both enemy and uncolonized worlds. Give the Contingency a world-cracker colossus (Neutron Sweep would make more sense with its purpose to sterilize the galaxy, but World-Cracker both fits its Red color sheme and fits its 'I've gone axe crazy with isolation' deal).
Pre-2.0, whenever you even entered the Unbidden's portal systems, ALL of their roamer fleets would beeline back to the portal to defend it, and since they used pre-2.0 jump drives, they could get back FAST.

But now, they simply start hyperlaning their way back, very slowly, so what happens is you take out the portalguard, take out the portal itself, and then 2 years later the roamers finally arrive, then sit around in the portal system looking miserable until you take them out.

Pre-2.0, when the Contingency's final nexus was exposed, it would withdraw all its remaining fleets to that system to try and defend itself. It used warp drives, so it could easily get the fleets back, if perhaps not as fast.

But now, with FTL Inhibitors, I believe the fleets simply go 'cannot find a path back to the nexus, will continue sitting still and twiddling our thumbs'.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

Crises get the old FTL Methods back. Probably a very controversial thing. After all, the other FTL methods were removed from the game for a reason, and for a good reason too. That sort of assymetry in movement made balancing virtually impossible. But I propose that the Crisis should be assymetrical, should be unbalanced, they should break every rule in the game and defeating it should be a great accomplishment, rather than something you just sort of check off the list of "Endgame stuff to do".

Scourge Warp Drive. Give the Prethoryn Scourge the ability to use Warp Drives. Not only does this explain how they got to our galaxy in the first place - there's, uh, not exactly any extragalactic hyperlanes... - but it'd really bring back the numbing horror of watching the Scourge arrive and scatter in all directions like shrapnel from a bomb. For balancing, you can simply tweak how long the 'Warp Sickness' they suffer upon arrival is.

Contingency Hyperlanes AND Wormhole Generators. Give the Contingency hyperlane motion like normal, but also the ability to construct Wormhole Generators in its existing territory. To solve the issue of FTL Inhibitors preventing the nexus-guard-withdrawal, they'd probably work different compared to the old Wormhole Generators. Perhaps they let fleets appear at the generator no matter where they are, similar to existing Gateways. Thus the Contingency would still have to hyperlane to get to new territory, but could zip around its claimed territory quite fast. This would also help in the expansion-slowdown.

Extradimensional Invaders Jump Drive. Give the Unbidden, Gold Unbidden, and Green Unbidden the old outrageously-overpowered Jump Drives. They'll jump around the galaxy like overcaffienated children, and if you even look at their portal funny they, just like they used to, will come running to defend it fast. This would neccesitate taking out most if not all of the roamers prior to fighting the defense fleet, which is in line with the Unbidden's theme of 'take out all the anchors before you fight the portal' deal.

This would, like with the Contingency, also help prevent the expansion-slowdown.
Quote-Unquote Problem: The Contingency uses completely normal weapons. The Prethoryn have their bioships and their acid-missiles and swarm-strikers. The Unbidden have their Thanos-Snap disintegrators.

But what does the Contingency have? Gamma Lasers. Plasma Cannons. Neutronium Armor. Particle Lances (Not even Tachyon Lances, to fit with their Red color scheme). The only special thing they have are Seeker-Drone Strike Craft on their bigger defense stations, which you can't reverse engineer anyway.

Proposed Solution to the Nitpick: Just rename some of the Contingency's weapons. Even if you can't reverse engineer it, it'll make them feel a bit more special.
Let me know what you think of these.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
@Methone : Serious question --- What do you think the odds are of some ideas making it into a future patch / DLC / whatever??

Honestly I REALLY like some of the ideas I've seen here & there and I really hope that the DEVs keep a super close eye on things and take inspiration where appropriate.

Without having read ANY of the thread, I want to make these two points clear:

1. I play grand admiral with max crisis strength and once they occur, I just slap them into submission like an abusive dad.
2. I had the contingency last time and it was remarkably chilled about sterilizing the galaxy and stuff, leaving hughe swathes of undefended, unsettled systems alone. Upping crisis strength to say level 15 would not make much of a difference, because then you would only have a level 15 crisis sitting at home. The only concernable effort the contingency ever undertook as reach for a system with an L-Gate and send a fleet every five mimutes through it to be annihilated by my stationed ships. Zero losses for me, zero progress in the game.

Crisis feels bugged more than anything else.

Also I have never seen an AI uprising succeed. The Khan used to sometimes maybe establish a lasting empire, but that has been some time ago and I do not know if it occurs in the current version, because all marauders are dead by the time we reach mid game.

By the time we reach the mid game, I am way more dangerous to any life in the galaxy than any potential crisis. I use the colossus for total war, wipe out thousands of pops and depopulate the happy planets that got to survive, only to then subject the pops to forced assimilation, or, if I can not be bothered, just purge them all.

Are the crisises this bad, or am I just an incredibly bad person?

Last edited:
Without having read ANY of the thread, I want to make these two points clear:

1. I play grand admiral with max crisis strength and once they occur, I just slap them into submission like an abusive dad.
2. I had the contingency last time and it was remarkably chilled about sterilizing the galaxy and stuff, leaving hughe swathes of undefended, unsettled systems alone. Upping crisis strength to say level 15 would not make much of a difference, because then you would only have a level 15 crisis sitting at home. The only concernable effort the contingency ever undertook as reach for a system with an L-Gate and send a fleet every five mimutes through it to be annihilated by my stationed ships. Zero losses for me, zero progress in the game.

Crisis feels bugged more than anything else.

Also I have never seen an AI uprising succeed. The Khan used to sometimes maybe establish a lasting empire, but that has been some time ago and I do not know if it occurs in the current version, because all marauders are dead by the time we reach mid game.

How early did you set the crisis to appear? Thats the next option. Then you just have to use Mods.

Hopefully some of these suggestions make it though, they definitely could use some more love.

Oh hey Tamwin5!

I read a lot about mods, but I am hesitant, because I do not want to break my savegames when updates come out... Then again, they tend to break everything anyhow. I do use the GOG version of the game however, so no steam workshop for me, because I REALLY dislike DRM and before you ask: Adobe required me to give lots of personal details that were technically unnecessary to use the product. And of course they had a data breach and I was in a lot of trouble. A LOT of trouble. My phone number, my credit card details, my everything, so if anyone wants to convert me to steam, please accept that I will not join that platform, even if Steam prepared breakfast every morning.

I was stupid enough to pay 200€ for a legal students license of Photoshop that I can not even use anymore because the dowload option vanished from the site, my data is in the hands of criminals and the best thing is: My friend, who has the cracked version, enjoys the same version of this product that is 100% functional to this very day. My hatred for DRM can not be put into words, I just want to punch everyone at adobe. If I have to chose between gaming with DRM and no gaming at all, I will be playing Magic: The Gathering for the forseeable future.

Oh hey Tamwin5!

I read a lot about mods, but I am hesitant, because I do not want to break my savegames when updates come out... Then again, they tend to break everything anyhow. I do use the GOG version of the game however, so no steam workshop for me, because I REALLY dislike DRM and before you ask: Adobe required me to give lots of personal details that were technically unnecessary to use the product. And of course they had a data breach and I was in a lot of trouble. A LOT of trouble. My phone number, my credit card details, my everything, so if anyone wants to convert me to steam, please accept that I will not join that platform, even if Steam prepared breakfast every morning.

I was stupid enough to pay 200€ for a legal students license of Photoshop that I can not even use anymore because the dowload option vanished from the site, my data is in the hands of criminals and the best thing is: My friend, who has the cracked version, enjoys the same version of this product that is 100% functional to this very day. My hatred for DRM can not be put into words, I just want to punch everyone at adobe. If I have to chose between gaming with DRM and no gaming at all, I will be playing Magic: The Gathering for the forseeable future.

A simple mod to adjust crisis scaling would be changing one number. Talk to people on a modding discord, they can help you out.

The crisis expands with a simple formula: A roamer fleet goes into a system, attacking anything and everything it comes across. Then it holds position until a construction ship arrives. The constructor builds an outpost. The roamer fleet then selects a new system and heads there, repeating the process.

As mentioned earlier, the crisis does not take travel times into account, resulting in a drastic slowdown. However, this also means you can just keep forcing the crisis to backtrack by going behind the 'front line' of roamers waiting for their constructors, slicing up their outposts, and then jumping back out since now they'll have to refill those systems too. Kill the construction ships and it's even slower, especially if you're facing the Contingency who gets a reinforcement event every ~5 years or so.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

Dedicated Planet-killer Roamer Fleets. Instead of selecting a bordering system to go to, some of the crisis's roamer fleets are ones that instead make it their mission to find inhabited worlds and raze them. This, however, would require some changes to pathfinding AI, in case the only inhabited worlds left are hidden behind FTL Inhibitors.
Roaming fleets should definitely be more aggressive. Perhaps the issue could be alleviated with the "patrol" functionality, or special fleets that protect construction ships?

The crisis roams around with armies that are 2k strong. Always. These armies do NOT benefit from increased crisis strength except for making the transport ships have more health. Also, 2k strong is peanuts to a dedicated fortress world's defense armies.

But even if the crisis ground armies were 999k strong, that'd only help somewhat due to Planetary Combat Width; when only something like 8 soldiers of the 999k strong can fight at once, it'll take ages to cut through a dedicated fortress world.

PROPOSED SOLUTION(S):

Let ground armies be boosted by crisis strength. This one is fairly straightforward, but also...

Crisis Colossus. Just like the Materialist Fallen Empire can have a cityworld regardless of if you have Megacorp or not, let the Scourge and the Contingency have the ability to spawn in Colossi. The Unbidden don't need a Colossus as they simply need to 100% devastate a world and it gets torched.

But give the Scourge a special 'infestor' Colossus that instantly infests both enemy and uncolonized worlds. Give the Contingency a world-cracker colossus (Neutron Sweep would make more sense with its purpose to sterilize the galaxy, but World-Cracker both fits its Red color sheme and fits its 'I've gone axe crazy with isolation' deal).
Makes sense. Crisis Colossi would be cool to have to worry about.

Pre-2.0, whenever you even entered the Unbidden's portal systems, ALL of their roamer fleets would beeline back to the portal to defend it, and since they used pre-2.0 jump drives, they could get back FAST.

But now, they simply start hyperlaning their way back, very slowly, so what happens is you take out the portalguard, take out the portal itself, and then 2 years later the roamers finally arrive, then sit around in the portal system looking miserable until you take them out.

Pre-2.0, when the Contingency's final nexus was exposed, it would withdraw all its remaining fleets to that system to try and defend itself. It used warp drives, so it could easily get the fleets back, if perhaps not as fast.

But now, with FTL Inhibitors, I believe the fleets simply go 'cannot find a path back to the nexus, will continue sitting still and twiddling our thumbs'.

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

Crises get the old FTL Methods back. Probably a very controversial thing. After all, the other FTL methods were removed from the game for a reason, and for a good reason too. That sort of assymetry in movement made balancing virtually impossible. But I propose that the Crisis should be assymetrical, should be unbalanced, they should break every rule in the game and defeating it should be a great accomplishment, rather than something you just sort of check off the list of "Endgame stuff to do".

Scourge Warp Drive. Give the Prethoryn Scourge the ability to use Warp Drives. Not only does this explain how they got to our galaxy in the first place - there's, uh, not exactly any extragalactic hyperlanes... - but it'd really bring back the numbing horror of watching the Scourge arrive and scatter in all directions like shrapnel from a bomb. For balancing, you can simply tweak how long the 'Warp Sickness' they suffer upon arrival is.

Contingency Hyperlanes AND Wormhole Generators. Give the Contingency hyperlane motion like normal, but also the ability to construct Wormhole Generators in its existing territory. To solve the issue of FTL Inhibitors preventing the nexus-guard-withdrawal, they'd probably work different compared to the old Wormhole Generators. Perhaps they let fleets appear at the generator no matter where they are, similar to existing Gateways. Thus the Contingency would still have to hyperlane to get to new territory, but could zip around its claimed territory quite fast. This would also help in the expansion-slowdown.

Extradimensional Invaders Jump Drive. Give the Unbidden, Gold Unbidden, and Green Unbidden the old outrageously-overpowered Jump Drives. They'll jump around the galaxy like overcaffienated children, and if you even look at their portal funny they, just like they used to, will come running to defend it fast. This would neccesitate taking out most if not all of the roamers prior to fighting the defense fleet, which is in line with the Unbidden's theme of 'take out all the anchors before you fight the portal' deal.

This would, like with the Contingency, also help prevent the expansion-slowdown.
Big fat "DISAGREE" on this one. Restoring legacy FTL types just simply isn't on the table as far as I know because the code they used has been removed entirely and the game's systems have been consolidated.

That said, there are alternatives. The Unbidden, especially, have a much simpler fix that I see: give them a special Jump Drive that lacks cooldown and/or penalties, and program them to use it whenever possible. Then they can merrily skip around to their heart's content. Give the Prethoryn Jump Drives too and program them to use them, but let them keep the cooldown and/or debuffs.

There's almost definitely a way to make the Contingency move towards their secret system and attack anything in the way, jammers or not. Alternatively, have them construct and utilize normal Gateways, maybe of their own special brand that only they can use/blow up after the Crisis is over/are a lasting mark upon the galaxy.

Quote-Unquote Problem: The Contingency uses completely normal weapons. The Prethoryn have their bioships and their acid-missiles and swarm-strikers. The Unbidden have their Thanos-Snap disintegrators.

But what does the Contingency have? Gamma Lasers. Plasma Cannons. Neutronium Armor. Particle Lances (Not even Tachyon Lances, to fit with their Red color scheme). The only special thing they have are Seeker-Drone Strike Craft on their bigger defense stations, which you can't reverse engineer anyway.

Proposed Solution to the Nitpick: Just rename some of the Contingency's weapons. Even if you can't reverse engineer it, it'll make them feel a bit more special.
What's the thematic/lore reason for this one, out of curiosity?

AFAIK they use normal weapons as a legacy of the Contingency at one point having been the AI Rebellion Crisis, which explicitly fluffed itself as AI just kind of... re-purposing technology to fight the oppressive organics. The Prethoryn are all biotech, so special weapons make sense. The Unbidden are extradimensional energy beings, so special weapons make sense. The Contingency are... just advanced robots. So it makes sense they'd use advanced but conventional weapons.

Big fat "DISAGREE" on this one. Restoring legacy FTL types just simply isn't on the table as far as I know because the code they used has been removed entirely and the game's systems have been consolidated.

That said, there are alternatives. The Unbidden, especially, have a much simpler fix that I see: give them a special Jump Drive that lacks cooldown and/or penalties, and program them to use it whenever possible. Then they can merrily skip around to their heart's content. Give the Prethoryn Jump Drives too and program them to use them, but let them keep the cooldown and/or debuffs.

There's almost definitely a way to make the Contingency move towards their secret system and attack anything in the way, jammers or not. Alternatively, have them construct and utilize normal Gateways, maybe of their own special brand that only they can use/blow up after the Crisis is over/are a lasting mark upon the galaxy.

I have a slightly different take on the issue. I'd prefer not to give the Unbidden an unlimited use jump drive with no debuffs or similar. This improves their offense too much and MIGHT result in whack-a-mole situations if not guarded against. I'd prefer to change their fleet behavior so that, effectively, you'd have to defeat all their fleets AND anchors before you hit the portal.

• I'd rather see Unbidden portals & anchors act as "non-Unbidden jump inhibitors" so that players can't jump behind Unbidden lines.
  • I would like to see Unbidden portals & anchors act a little more like Starbases ... specifically I'd like to see them be able to build / summon constructors to make their expansion more efficient. Upgrading these "starbases" to make them a little less of a speed bump might be interesting ; increasing Unbidden fleet appearance rates ; lowering time for constructors to appear at the "anchors" ; etc. may all be interesting changes???
  • If an Unbidden fleet is not adjacent [in terms of hyperlanes / gateways / wormholes] to an anchor or the portal then it should move to the nearest such adjacent system
  • If a player attacks an adjacent anchor or portal all adjacent Unbidden ships should move to defend the anchor / portal
  • If only the portal remains then Unbidden ships will hyperlane to the portal. If the portal is attacked all remaining Unbidden fleets will take a "normal jump" to the portal system with all of the relevant debuffs to using jump drives.

To limit the number of exploits I'm sure that things would need to be more complicated than what's laid out above but I think the above behaviors would make sure that the Unbidden defend what they've got BETTER than what they're doing now.

One new mechanic related to the "starbase" idea above would relate to allowing Unbidden fleets to "disengage". If the Unbidden have "starbases" then they have somewhere for the disengaged ships to rally at. These fleets would then act as defensive fleets only guarding anchors / portals.

To help balance this somewhat I think the Unbidden should also have a "fleet cap" mechanic based on the number of portals + anchors + upgraded anchors (?). This way if they are above their fleet cap then they can no longer benefit from disengaging. They can STILL get reinforcements but they can't benefit additionally from disengaging.

@Methone : Serious question --- What do you think the odds are of some ideas making it into a future patch / DLC / whatever??

Honestly I REALLY like some of the ideas I've seen here & there and I really hope that the DEVs keep a super close eye on things and take inspiration where appropriate.
Zero to none. Mr. Moregard has said he's been thinking of adding a colossus to the crisis, but then that's an idea he already had with or without me.

Are the crisises this bad, or am I just an incredibly bad person?
The crises are in fact that bad; slow 2.0-style expansion does not make them feel like a galactic menace.
They added it to the game once, it could be added again if - and only if - they felt it worth the effort. As I said elsewhere in the thread, it's something I'm not really sure of either, and there've been multiple good suggestions for solving the Unbidden and Contingency problems (Nothing on getting the Scourge to believably get to our galaxy, though, until your idea of giving them bio-jump-drives).
What's the thematic/lore reason for this one, out of curiosity?
I'm not sure. The Contingency is meant to stop the existence of technology so powerful it destroys the universe. Whatever it's doing now, those are the weapons its creators would've outfitted it with. Not gamma lasers.

I'm not sure. The Contingency is meant to stop the existence of technology so powerful it destroys the universe. Whatever it's doing now, those are the weapons its creators would've outfitted it with. Not gamma lasers.
Its meant to stop that sort of threat pre-emptively. By sterilizing the galaxy. It jumped the gun a little bit, but its clearly painted as wiping out organics before they have a chance to cause such a threat. Gamma lasers get the job done.

Hell, that the Contingency uses conventional weapons and armour that can be salvaged could very well be taken as one of their unique features in and of itself.

Its meant to stop that sort of threat pre-emptively.
Exactly. When a civilization begins to approach 'Class 30 Singularity' it wakes up and kills everything. Of course that's not what's happening; ingame it's self-activating because it's gone mad with boredom, and interactions with the Machine FE indicate it used to be much more powerful than it is now, with many more Sterilization Hubs than the 4 we face ingame. Are we to seriously believe that the empire its creators envisioned the Contingency facing, would be defeatable by Gamma Lasers?

But I mean... the Contingency terraforms a Gas Giant in a matter of days. And it's using the same stuff we are? Absurd.

I think it would be nice to see the Contingency with weapons & defenses that are at least on Awakened Empire level. Even if the weapon types are standard maybe sprinkling in L6 armor or a new [more better :)] combat computer, or something would be nice to see.

Exactly. When a civilization begins to approach 'Class 30 Singularity' it wakes up and kills everything. Of course that's not what's happening; ingame it's self-activating because it's gone mad with boredom, and interactions with the Machine FE indicate it used to be much more powerful than it is now, with many more Sterilization Hubs than the 4 we face ingame. Are we to seriously believe that the empire its creators envisioned the Contingency facing, would be defeatable by Gamma Lasers?
What indicates it had more Sterilization Hubs, out of curiosity? Because I don't recall anything saying as much. Nor anything that really indicates it was ever much more powerful in general- just that the MACHINE FE used to be more powerful, before it got lobotomized by the Contingency or a corrupted agent of it.

And... yes, we can totally believe that. Because those are high-tier weapons that can go toe-to-toe with the Fallen Empires, who have similar technology and provide us a good baseline for what super-advanced technology in Stellaris looks like. If anything, the Contingency's major strength that we're shown is that they have immense STOCKPILES of combat ships stored up for this, well, contingency plan. All using some of the most advanced technologies in the galaxy.

Again, the Prethoryn and Unbidden have special weapons because they're fundamentally different in nature. The Contingency isn't- it's just advanced robots. Souped-up mining drones. I'd even argue that being able to reverse-engineer its technology like a normal enemy is a counter-balance to the fact that they show up all over the galaxy and potentially significantly debuff you.

But I mean... the Contingency terraforms a Gas Giant in a matter of days. And it's using the same stuff we are? Absurd.
They... don't, though. They had a preexisting Machine World hidden inside a "gas giant" ala that one anomaly that reveals what you thought was a gas giant was just a really big barren world with a thick atmosphere, and when they turn it on, they just burn up/blow off the camouflage atmosphere. There are far more impressive feats of engineering elsewhere in the game (Ringworlds, most obviously).

What indicates it had more Sterilization Hubs, out of curiosity? Because I don't recall anything saying as much. Nor anything that really indicates it was ever much more powerful in general- just that the MACHINE FE used to be more powerful, before it got lobotomized by the Contingency or a corrupted agent of it.
The Machine FE awakens specifically to sensing a Sterilization Hub; it's encountered them before. "Time and time again we beat them back, time and again they returned" or something, indicating the Contingency would wake up, activate a few of its hubs to go killing, the Machine FE would beat them back, rinse and repeat. This kind of conflicts with the Contingency itself, who acts as though this is the first time it's ever been active. Probably just a plothole, but I handwave it as the Contingency's memory being corrupted.
Because those are high-tier weapons that can go toe-to-toe with the Fallen Empires, who have similar technology and provide us a good baseline for what super-advanced technology in Stellaris looks like.
Those Fallen Empires aren't even close to what the Contingency's looking for, though. Those ancient buildings on their homeworlds, built with absurdly advanced technology that they themselves have forgotten? One of them is a Class four singularity. The Contingency is meant to stop anything close to a class 30. The discrepancy between what the Contingency is equipped to fight, and what it's meant to fight, boggles the mind.
All using some of the most advanced technologies in the galaxy.
Some of, but not the most. As it stands now, Fallen Empires have better technology than the Contingency. Players can have better technology than the Contingency, and ingame its only strength comes from the massive +Damage +Health modifiers inherent to the crisis.
I'd even argue that being able to reverse-engineer its technology like a normal enemy is a counter-balance to the fact that they show up all over the galaxy and potentially significantly debuff you.
If you have to reverse-engineer the Contingency's parts by the time it's around, you've done something very, very wrong.
They... don't, though. They had a preexisting Machine World hidden inside a "gas giant" ala that one anomaly that reveals what you thought was a gas giant was just a really big barren world with a thick atmosphere, and when they turn it on, they just burn up/blow off the camouflage atmosphere.
I'll give you this, sort of. It may not be that impressive because who knows how much 'prep' it took for the Contingency's builders to setup the Gas Giant.

The Machine FE awakens specifically to sensing a Sterilization Hub; it's encountered them before. "Time and time again we beat them back, time and again they returned" or something, indicating the Contingency would wake up, activate a few of its hubs to go killing, the Machine FE would beat them back, rinse and repeat.
None of that says the Contingency has lost Hubs before. Especially considering the state of the Machine FE, sounds more likely that the Contingency has gone ahead and sterilized the galaxy a few times already.

Those Fallen Empires aren't even close to what the Contingency's looking for, though. Those ancient buildings on their homeworlds, built with absurdly advanced technology that they themselves have forgotten? One of them is a Class four singularity. The Contingency is meant to stop anything close to a class 30. The discrepancy between what the Contingency is equipped to fight, and what it's meant to fight, boggles the mind.
You have no way of knowing what, specifically, the Contingency is programmed to look for.

Given the way the Contingency presents itself as a counter to an EXTREMELY THEORETICAL ("Might/Maybe/Possibly") danger, it sounds more like it aims to nip things as close to the bud as possible.

We also don't know what a "Class 30 Singularity" actually is, and whether or not the power plant is related. I'm, personally, of the opinion it represents a fear of something along the lines of a False Vacuum Collapse- that is to say, a technologically-driven even that permanently alters the fundamental laws of physics such that they might become hostile to the continued or future existence of life as we know it.

There's a primitive world that regressed to stone-age primitives because they got worried they might make that happen with conventional particle accelerators. The FEs are the most technologically advanced civilizations we ever see, so its reasonable to assume that they're in the upper bounds of what's to be expected. Given one of them encountered the Contingency at their height, its safe to assume that that's more or less the point the Contingency are programmed to sterilize everything.

Some of, but not the most. As it stands now, Fallen Empires have better technology than the Contingency. Players can have better technology than the Contingency, and ingame its only strength comes from the massive +Damage +Health modifiers inherent to the crisis.
It's only strength between infinite reinforcements, you mean. And we can assume the damage boosts represent in-universe technological advancements.

If you have to reverse-engineer the Contingency's parts by the time it's around, you've done something very, very wrong.
Be careful not to assume your expertise with the game represents how good most players are. I've reverse-engineered the Contingency tech before, and still beaten them.

None of that says the Contingency has lost Hubs before.
Then where are those hubs? Why did it power them down? What, did the Contingency go "Okay, I've killed enough people, time to shut down and go back into maddening isolation?"
it sounds more like it aims to nip things as close to the bud as possible.
And you might have had a point, if the Contingency itself didn't out and out tell us that's not what's going on.
and whether or not the power plant is related
Paradox didn't pick its name out of a hat. They deliberately made it that. To say it's just a coincidence is really grasping at straws.
. I'm, personally, of the opinion it represents a fear of something along the lines of a False Vacuum Collapse
Then those Gaia Primitives from that one Distant Stars anomaly would've set off the Contingency.
It's only strength between infinite reinforcements, you mean.
No more 'infinite' than the player's ability to 'infinitely' reinforce either.
And we can assume the damage boosts represent in-universe technological advancements.
Then weaken the modifiers and give it stronger base weapons; Prethoryn missiles and strikers are always weaker in our hands barring ludicrous amounts of repeatables, and same with Unbidden matter disintegrators. It's just a bit of immersion.

Then where are those hubs? Why did it power them down? What, did the Contingency go "Okay, I've killed enough people, time to shut down and go back into maddening isolation?"
...yes. That's... that's its job. It's a Reaper expy. It's meant as a contingency is species get too advanced, to reset their progress and thus keep the universe inhabitable for future lifeforms. Did you not pick up on that...?

Then those Gaia Primitives from that one Distant Stars anomaly would've set off the Contingency.
How do you know?

I specifically brought said primitives up, you'll note. They got scared by the same thing- but given we regularly use much more advanced particle accelerators, they might just have been paranoid. Doesn't mean the nature of their fear wasn't shared by the Contingency's creators.

If it matters I always head-cannoned that the class 30 singularity was END-OF-CYCLE or similar.

While I haven't taken a deep dive into the lore I've ASSUMED that the "singularity" spoken of by the contingency was a DIFFERENT TYPE of singularity than the Fallen Empire power plants. Basically more like a "technological / psionic singularity" as opposed to the "physics singularity [black hole / big bang]".

I'm happy to be proven wrong but my instinct or at least what I remember of the reading certainly made me feel that they were talking about different things ... YMMV.