• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Basileios Makedon

Head of Government
70 Badges
Apr 19, 2015
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
Crimean Ideas :

Traditions :

-10% army maintenance cost

+15% manpower recovery speed

1.Black Sea Trade: The Black Sea has been, since antiquity, an important trading spot between the steppes, Persia and the Balkans. By increasing our trade network we could redirect all that trade to our ports.+15% trade steering

2.Descendants of Gengis Khan: Gengis Khan is one of the best generals and kings in the world, and we can safely say that we are linked directly to him. This is useful for both external and internal purposes.+0.5 yearly legitimacy, -10% coring costs

3.Tatar Cavalry: The age of steppe cavalry is gone, but our cavalry, a bit modernized, is one of the finest in the region and both the Ottoman and Russian empires use it regularly.+20% cavalry combat ability

5.Ottoman protection: Despite our brave warriors and our unbeatable cavalry, we are on a weak diplomatic spot. Surrounded by three empires, we should seek Ottoman protection to focus on internal affairs. -10% stability costs

5.Defend against Poland: Our alliance with the Ottomans can be useful, but it makes Poland our enemy. We should fortify our borders to protect us from this powerful foe.+15% fort defense

6.Crush the Golden Horde: The Golden Horde is one of our oldest rivals and most annoying neighbours. Now that they are weak, let's crush their armies and conquer their cities.+5% discipline

7.Center of Russian slavery: It might not be ethic, but slavery is a very profitable business, and with some efforts, it will be enough to sustain our economy.+10% trade goods produced

Ambitions:

+10% trade efficiency

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stability Cost and Fort Defense shouldn't be both 15%. One should be 10% (Preferably Stability since +15% Fort Defense makes the ideas a little more unique) since both 15% would be a little overpowered. Change Production Efficiency to Local Trade Power. It makes the ideas more trade focused and still militaristic.

Last edited:
I think the Crimean slave business should be represented as it was a huge and defining business for the khanate.

Perhaps Crimea would get double price from slave resource or something?

I think the Crimean slave business should be represented as it was a huge and defining business for the khanate.

Perhaps Crimea would get double price from slave resource or something?
Yeah. How about Goods Modifier? That would increase the slave goods.

Stability Cost and Fort Defense shouldn't be both 15%. One should be 10% (Preferably Stability since +15% Fort Defense makes the ideas a little more unique) since both 15% would be a little overpowered. Change Production Efficiency to Local Trade Power. It makes the ideas more trade focused and still militaristic.

I don't think nerfing Crimea then calling it overpowered work together :p.

Crimea already have horde ideas which are quite strong. Still It feels strange to get there own ideas which are worse.
I would definatly give them -25% or -20% core creation cost (like the other hordes). Both horde and Manchuria (but not Kazan) also got the -20% Land maintainence mdofier which is quite strong.

Crimea already have horde ideas which are quite strong. Still It feels strange to get there own ideas which are worse.
I would definatly give them -25% or -20% core creation cost (like the other hordes). Both horde and Manchuria (but not Kazan) also got the -20% Land maintainence mdofier which is quite strong.
Well, the Crimean Khanate was a trade and military oriented horde, and that's reflected in the ideas. Some uniqueness is needed for the longest surviving horde!

Well, the Crimean Khanate was a trade and military oriented horde, and that's reflected in the ideas. Some uniqueness is needed for the longest surviving horde!
You could use Core creation Cost actually. If you did +.5 Legitimacy and -10% Core Creation Cost (Like Manchu with -10%) then that could work.

You could use Core creation Cost actually. If you did +.5 Legitimacy and -10% Core Creation Cost (Like Manchu with -10%) then that could work.
Hmm, that could work. Anyway, I buffed slightly the traditions and the cav combat ability idea.

This is actually starting to look really good. I actually kinda want to start play testing these ideas (By creating custom nations of the country that is getting the ideas.) I might play test this.

But I can't do it until this afternoon :p

Crimea was not the longest-surviving horde. If you stretch the definition of "horde" to the nonsensical extent EU does, then Qing outlasted them. If you realize that they actually were not a nomadic nation/governance, then they weren't a "horde" like say Kazakh.

I'll see how it goes. I'm curious to see if the Ottomans will still ally me.

Crimea was not the longest-surviving horde. If you stretch the definition of "horde" to the nonsensical extent EU does, then Qing outlasted them. If you realize that they actually were not a nomadic nation/governance, then they weren't a "horde" like say Kazakh.
You can say that Crimea was subject to a lot of conflict with Russia and the Ottomans. It was a center of conflict with Europe at one point. Also, Custom Nation aren't able to have multiple bonuses in an idea so I'll do -10 Core Creation Cost in the traditions (Can't do No Cost for Reinforcement either :() and Yearly Legit for the second idea.

Last edited:
You can say that Crimea was subject to a lot of conflict with Russia and the Ottomans. It was a center of conflict with Europe at one point.

Certainly, military ideas are appropriate, but Crimea was no "horde" comparable to the actual nomadic nations. They should probably be Muslim tech, which would make gimping their ideas in favor of nation flavor a bit more palatable too since the reform requirement for hordes is more painful at ADM 5.

Reactions:
They were not nomadic, but they were less centralized than Qing and they kept alive in many ways their nomadic culture. Also they were called Khanate! :)

Certainly, military ideas are appropriate, but Crimea was no "horde" comparable to the actual nomadic nations. They should probably be Muslim tech, which would make gimping their ideas in favor of nation flavor a bit more palatable too since the reform requirement for hordes is more painful at ADM 5.
But they certainly weren't Muslim either. Plus a muslim Crimea would be crushed by the hordes because the horde have the early advantage.

But they certainly weren't Muslim either. Plus a muslim Crimea would be crushed by the hordes because the horde have the early advantage.

Ethiopia wasn't "Muslim" either, nor Kilwa "Indian". The tech groups are an abstraction, and Muslim tech would be reasonable there.

Yarkand starts surrounded by hordes in 1444 and survives a decent amount despite not being horde, and relative to Muslim tech Eastern is no better in the opening years. Crimea getting crushed by hordes would not be a consistent outcome if they were Muslim tech.

Reactions: