• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SuperTechmarine

Captain
29 Badges
Oct 22, 2012
  • Magicka
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
CRESCENT OVER CROSS
Royal_standard_of_Morocco.svg

Hello People, i shall be doing a AAR on Fez (Morocco really). With the famous MEIOU&Taxes mod.

Having already played Meiou with Fez for EU3, but given up on it shortly after, i will start anew on EUIV

My second serious game with MEIOU, please go easy on me, 'tis only my first AAR. Advice on how to better myself is welcome.

Background:

Our story begins in 711, Hispania. When Mr. Tariq with a force of 500 men invaded the Visigothic Kingdom of Hispania. Under the guise of helping the locals depose their corrupt king (he was deposed alright), though after succesfully kicking his ass, they proceeded to notice that Spain was divided and ripe for conquest and so they did conquer it all (except Asturias).

conquest-of-spain2.gif

The Berbers went up north and north until a raiding party was destroyed by Charles "it's hammer time" Martell, the Muslims were eventually pushed back to the Ebro by Pepin the Short by the 9th Century.

Following that, the Rashidun, caliphs were deposed by the Umayyads, and the Umayyads themeselves continued the habit of getting deposed, this time by the Abbasids.

Every last Umayyad was hunted down and executed, tortured or had other nasty things done to them.

Except for one branch of the family which fled to Spain and founded their own Caliphate there.

500px-Califato_de_Córdoba_-_1000.svg.png

This exact same Caliphate imploded in 1031 and was separated into a load of different states called Taifas ( or successor kingdoms).

Taifas2.gif

These same states were eventually conquer by: A) the Christian Kingdoms. B) The Rising Power of the Almoravids.

Empire_almoravide.PNG

Bob would be proud

They also unceremoniusly imploded as well to be replaced by more famous (and more puritan Almohads:

Empire_almohade.PNG

They continued the habit of imploding so many Muslim Emirates seem to love to do.

This time these territories were never reunited, split into 4: The Marinids, the Zayyanids, the Hafsids and in Spain, the Nasrids.

The Marinids (represented in MEIOU by Fez) are who i'll be playing as:

Empire_mérinide_-_XIVe.PNG

I wonder how they never came to reconquer Spain.

Primary Objectives:
1. Unite the Al Maghreb
2. Island hop to Italy.
3. Invade Al Andalus

Secondary Objectives:
1. Conquer the Canaries
2. Colonize one of both Americas.
3. Conquer Aquitaine
4. Conquer Greece
5. Conquer Palestine.

Crescent over Cross:

Last edited:
Chapter 1: The Conquest of Tlemcen (or where did the Algerians go?)

"When there is no enemy within; the enemies outside cannot hurt you -Winston Churchill"

We start out in a fairly powerful position:
zhwf.jpg

Fez, 1356

only the Iberians are really a threat, our immediate neighbours are however rather weak, i should be able to vassalize them quickly for some sweet sweet cores (Cores take a lot longer to make in MEIOU).

Lets look at my tabs first:

jgmt.png

Seems i already have an idea: Offensive, suits me in any case.

nygo.png

My first order of business is to take a mission, Conquer M'zab in this case.

urf.png

I declare war a short time after i secure and alliance with Tripoli and the Hafsids.

3eu2.png

Fast forward to another save game made earlie- I mean, fast forward to the future.

czb1.png

Tlemcen has been vassalized and i'm now attacking the Hafsids. Blockaded and besieged, they'll soon break under the pressure.

3m7q.png

Seems like my Royal Marriage with Tripoli has borne fruit, a member of the Alouite dynasty is on their throne.
There shall be much claiming of thrones.

citd.png

Now that most of Tunisia is occupied, they shall accept my peace treaty.

c2v0.png

-The Hafsids shall cede Bousdia to Fez.
-The Hafsids shall cede Tamurt n Leslayel to Tlemcen.
-The Hafsids shall pay a war indemnity to Fez of 38.000 ducats.

1td6.jpg

the Maghreb after the Peace of Tlemcen.
Dark Brown, Emirate of Fez
Light Blue, Alouite dependency of Tlemcen.
Oulined in red, territory gained.
Dark Green, Hafsids
Light green, Tripoli.

TL;DR: Vassalized Tlemcen, conquered 2 provinces...that's it.

Bonus: MEIOU&Taxes

One thing you'll probably have noticed by now is the earlier start date, not in 1453, not 1444, not even 1399, but 10 January 1356, date of the Golden Bull which sets the structure of the HRE as it is in the game. This provides for more actiony action, Sweden starts out at war with Sverige (Erik's rebellion), the 100 years war is in full swing, the Roman Empire is slighty more powerful, and the Ottomans weaker. Also there is a metric asston of additonal countries and provinces, Italy has jump from a dozen provinces to atleast 20 provinces and a dozen countries.
France alone has 50(!) provinces, making the BBB more of a HBB (Huge Blue Blob... well dark blue actually, colours have changed too.). Also province are historically based, borders are alot more...spidery for lack of a better word. You'll notice that mostly in the HRE which has the most spidery provinces...ever.

Last edited:
Chapter II: The Conquest of the Canaries (or "No Spaniards in my Atlantic).​

Pity is the most agreeable feeling among those who have little pride and no prospects of great conquests.
― Friedrich Nietzsche

3zqe.png

With North-Western Africa now secured, i turn my eyes west to the Canary Islands.

lgnt.png

Though not before selecting another mission.

g80q.png

I send one diplomat to improve relations with Tlemcen whilst another starts fabricating claims on Mazoratoa. I also sell off my Tunisian Province to my vassal.

lrq4.png

Whilst all that is happening i check Europe to see what's what.

houm.png

Norway is leading a PU with Sweden. Lithuania is also leading a PU with Kiev. Both fairly typical in a MEIOU game.

51yo.png

I get an offensive idea-related even that improves my infantry, might coming in handy later on.

sdv0.png

And another event related to heretics and reduced revolt risk.

p0q9.png

As well as yet another event, this time about trade, i go for the mercantilist choice.

irh8.png

Now that the claim is fabricated i can go and invade some islands.

ai4g.png

I send a stack of 9 thousand to the Canaries.

t4ws.png

They land.

cts9.png

Destroy their army.

gi2l.png

And besiege the province.

0pau.png

Whilst the boring siege is being boring, i get enough MP to research the 1st Offensive Idea.

k213.png

Tripoli offers me a Royal Marriage...sure why not. They're of the same dynasty and lack an heir, maybe i'll be able to Claim their Throne later on.

69ru.png

Siege is over. Now for the peace treaty:

eio0.png

I get a shiny new (non-muslim) vassal and some gold. Some trivial events.

That's it for Chapter II.

TL;DR: More vassals and more gold.

Bonus: MEIOU&Taxes.

Historically accurate, China and the Muslim countries are a helluva alot more technologically advance than Europe, that's why i have the right to a national idea.

Also (anti-blob people will like this) coring and culture converting take a shitload more time to do, cores take on average 20 years to make whilst culture conversion will take you from 10 years to 200 years. Which is why vassalish conquest is so much better now, is also why (coupled with the 200% core cost) i gave my notcore to my vassal Tlemcen.

There is however 1 error, the ruling dynasty of Morocco at this time is not the Alouites (they come much later), the actual (historical) rulers were the Marinids.

Last edited:
Chapter III

Chapter III: The Second Marinid-Hafsid war (or "Tunisia Delenda est")

"Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam - Furthermore, i consider that Carthage must be destroyed " -Cato the Elder

kzgn.png

Look at the map, you know you like it , you want to play it

Last time we vassalized the Canary Islands. And that's it.

With my increased force limit, we shall create a new army of 15.000 (12 Infantry; 3 Cavalry) to prepare for the inevitable war with Aragon (my n1 rival).

d5fq.png

"But thou must"

In the mean time, seems some jews want to build a new synagogue in Fez (the city), i choose the bottom option "Grant them premission", which reduces Stab cost and raises tolerance for heathens and heretics. Also less revolt risk

21q8.png

Orange juice!

ns6w.png

Moar admin points!

I have decent relations with Castille, their rival is Aragon as well, maybe if i increase relations they'll accept and Alliance?

2plp.png

I also get enough MP to buy the 2nd offensive idea which adds 25% manpower boost. (Offscreen: i ganed some ducats from the Quality Wool events, and i lost 1000 manpower in a Ghazi event.)

9hae.png

I like steak. Maybe that's how they get the recruits.

I start annexing Tlemcen whilst i look at Europe:

7c3b.png

gct6.png

The Swiss 'aint so neutral now

44cg.png

The Scots are screwed

When suddenly...

s596.png

What a dick, dying like that with no warning or anything

A wild Regency Council appears! It uses Stab hit...it's not very effective.

vbra.png

SuperTechmarine counters with Stab Regeneration...it's super effective! Regency council faints.

obqa.png

I'm on a boat!

I start building a larger navy to counter Aragon.

When suddenly...

63oe.png

A wild call of arms appears! Yes i know, i already used this joke once...

I honor the call to arms and start moving in my fleet and armies to blockade and besiege Tunisia.

5z3n.png

I notice a Hafsid army besieging Tarabuls, i send my own army to attack them...

a3v2.png

They killed Kenny! Those bastards!

'Twas a bad idea, with no leader i lose the battle and suffer 8 thousand casualties whilst they lose only 4k

In the meantime a Tripolitanian army arrived later and destroy the Hafsid army whilst it was shattered.

And my fleet combats the Hafsid one:

96yo.png

I win...unsurpisingly due to my sheer amount of galleys.

I resarch admin and diplo tech whilst i besiege their provinces.

0ik5.png

tx79.png

I spot a naval battle between Tripoli and the Hafsids, i send some reinforcements to help...

uu58.png

Someone should paint those ships red.

...i lose, the Ottomans intervened while i wasn't looking.

6sez.png

Though i later manage to make a separate peace with them

u8d4.png

(Off screen: Tripoli and i annihilate the entire Hafsid army, lay siege to their provinces, and beat their navy).

b0re.png

My ruler finally comes of age, he's pretty damn good and comes with a nice national modifier to boot.

My sieges finally finish and i manage to sue for peace:

tjzg.png

I get them to cede 2 provinces (which i cant sell to any vassal) and a whole lot of trade power and gold.

bidf.png

That's it for today...

P.S: The lack of comments is hurting my morale. :sad:

Last edited:
Then I'll leave my first comment just so I can watch this AAR in the future. In my noob opinion you're doing a great job :) Btw, do the different technology groups still have their penalties although starting with a higher level in techs?

Came here from TWC.

Interesting start. I'm a complete and utter noob at EU, based on my experience with the demo, so I have no clue what's happening. It appears you're doing well, though.

Good luck.

Chapter IV: There can only be one master of the Mediterranean

"Assuredly, no one man has been blessed with all God's gifts. You, Hannibal, know how to gain a victory; you do not know how to use it." -Maharbal

xt4f.png

Needs more steaks.

Last time, we started the process of annexation for Tlemcen and also took off some land from the Hafsids.
This time we'll finish off the Hafsids and annex Tlemcen.

But first:

g0iy.png

I wonder if they sell steaks?

Thou shallth build many marketplaces to facilitate the income of gold.

5w81.png

A brief overview of my economy.

The old diplomatic advisor died of steak overdose, so i will need a new one:

vgy7.png

I take the trader for the trade power bonus.

onqb.png

The Mamlukes seem to have attacked an ally of Tripoli, which is getting occupied into space.

pnm9.png

Spoiler alert: The Mamlukes annex the province of Cyrenaica, you can also skip the 2 or 3 next images. The prelude to the conquest is boring.

i7a6.png

TECH UPGRADE!

v2wf.png

ktca.png

6tpc.png

Tlemcen is finally annexed:

5ncs.png

ti06.png

And a new mission selected

3x3p.png

An overview of the Emirate of Fez.

The Calm before the storm:

r0lc.png

zyop.png

Said storm:

x23q.png

As soon as i DoW, the armies move in:

wt95.png

mo2x.png

Surprise, motherfucker!

fr5k.png

Both Sieges finish off and i annex what remains of the Hafsids in the Peace Treaty:

emn1.png

reox.png

And that's they way the cookie (chapter) crumbles (ends)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- End of Chapter IV

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End of Act I

Last edited:
[UPDATE]

School rears it's ugly head again, updates will be rarer and far in-between.

I will try an get an update every Wednesday and Saturday.

EDIT: Sorry for lack of update, though i'm rather stuck on what to do next.

I cant take Naples because i need Sicily to get there, and Sicily is a vassal of Aragon, which is too powerful for me to fight right now, i can't conquer Spain, as Castille is also more powerful than i am, and Portugal is allied with both of the above, so no there too, and finally cant go east because the Mamlukes are there, i can't get an Alliance with France due to Different Religion. So no on everything.

I need help!

P.S.:

q8l2.png

Last edited:
Where to go?

Use peaceful tactics build your navy army and infrastructure than you can expand south and waitnfor an optotunity to the.north otherwise an interesting Aaron I'm gonnansub. Also remember people trend to lurk and not comment ;)

Subscribed, but you better play more or I'll be disappoint.

Today is a day of great sorrow;

I regret to inform you that my computer went haywire and outright deleted or lost my personal files (music, documents, images all of it gone from this green earth).

My save file and the Mod itself were lost.

But fret not, for from the ashes of the old rise arises a greater power:

I shall start a new History Book/Documentary AAR:

You'll get to vote for which countries i play as (all of them with the new version of MEIOU and EUIV).

Milan
Votes:0

Brandenburg

Basileia Rhōmaiōn/Roman Empire
Votes: 1

Austria

Last edited:
Do Basileia Rhomaion, and see if they are easier at MEIOU and Taxes' start date.