• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Carlito Gambino said:
I always decline the Purge, sure it increases dissent, but I'd rather have a bit of dissent that I can deal with than not having good leaders for my armed forces.

As USSR you don't need good leaders for your armed forces, with Arma 1.2 you'll have dozens of level 3-6 generals by the time you reach Bordeaux :p

1938-1939

The purge:
Although many of you told me not to do it, I did it. The reasons are, that the IC I would lose and which I would have to invest, in order to get rid of the 30 dissent just doesn't pay off. I do lose a lot of leaders, but I will receive a huge number of new ones over the next 3 years. I also lose a great part of my leadership, but there will be enough wars to regain it. The question you should ask yourself when getting the event is: "Do I want a production or a leadership bonus?". If you accepted the purge, take a look on the cabinet, in case any of your ministers were exchanged (In my case, there was 1).

The Albanian gamble:
First I have to mention that this is not my own idea and that I found out about it on wiki HOI2. So how does it work? Before Italy declares war upon Albania, guarantee its independence. When the war declaration accrues, you get +2 interventionism. Is that cool or what (I know this article also partly belongs into the year 1939, but what can I say, 1938 is a boring year. In 1939 I moved the slider +1 to interventionism, no ministers were changed)?

Brazil finally accepts:
This does more fall into the category 1939-NOV 1939, but there are not enough events in 1938. Relations of 200+ with Brazil were already reached in 1937. But there was only an 7 percent chance, that they will accept the offer. So it took me about 20 tries in order to make it. The most of the money, which was needed, was traded with Republican Spain, Albania, Belgium and Netherlands (Mostly energy-money trades. Those nations throw money away like it was nothing). The deadline to make them accept is the 12th October 1939. This is when Brazil changes its government to market liberal.

Factories (dont) produce factories part III:
Well more factories were built, but all were put into the fight against the dissent the purge made. The dissent was reduced to 0 somewhere in June 1939. At that time about 100 IC+ was set on consumer goods. Just imagine how long would it take, to get rid off 30 dissent.

Comment replies:

BritishImperial-Well you are mistaken by thinking that. And the most MP tips come just before the war.

4th Dimension-Sure I am, but the 1 manpower I take from the German, are the 2 manpower, which I dont need to lose.

Earth's Savior-Well maybe because it is stupid to decline the event lol?

Carlito Gambino-I already explained my reasons.

son of liberty-Thanks.

Enewald-If you know a cheap way to kill the dissent in the year 1936, than I would do it.

4th Dimension- I play that much historically, that it would be acceptable in a MP game. But I dont change the main events of the game (Like striking Germany in the back while they attack France). If I would not get any dissent, by attacking Afghanistan in 1936, I would do it (Because there is a very specific tactic behind it, which I will explain in the update 1939-NOV 1939).

Alexus-Thats exactly my point.

Last edited:
I see, and your choice makes sense indeed. Like you said, it depends on what you think is more important, leadership or production. Besides, you're going the historic route so you gotta do the Great Purge.

i dont remember brazil being allied to the soviet union historically :p

Lascars said:
Yes, they had flying tanks and also flying tank busters

its the same plane, the one im looking forward to seeing :D

Il2_sturmovik.jpg

1939-NOV 1939

Japan, friend or foe?:
Although you get 2 events which state the tension between Japan and Russia in the 30s. But how hostile is Japan towards USSR really? Well Japan has nothing against USSR. And they will never attack me (Not that I know), nor enter an alliance with Germany. And they will provide the navy, which we dont have, to make some heavy damage on the allied fleet, once we start our war of aggression versus the capitalist scum. If you have to kill Japan, than do it when you killed the allies. Well MP is something else. It is almost impossible to do something against Japan, if you have a Reich attacking you. So try to postpone the Japans entry into the war as late as possible. So the conclusion is: the AI japan is a friend and the human japan is a foe.

Army reorganized:
First I have disbanded all detachments and cavalry divisions (With this I also lose some supply consumption). After that all divisions have been relocated to Moscow. After that all armies were relocated to the Finish border. 24 divisions per province (+4 tank divisions which were relocated to Leningrad). The one HQ was merged with the 11 mountain divisions. With that I prevent to get a penalty in battles (I would have 1 division too much, and that would reduce the combat effectiveness) and also the error, where I would forget to set the arrival to synchronized (The HQ arrives too soon into the province and gets defeated and killed by panes with ease). The air force has been reorganized to 4 bomber squadrons and 2x4 INT (Or fighter. Forgot). There was no problem finding filed marshals (Just promoted some guys).

The red army begins:
In August 1939, I have begun with the construction of the red army. I used up all of my industry, not constructing any IC (About 100 IC total). Well there is not much more to tell about it. See the picture (By that time I have about 3500 MP).

The evil tactic:
Once the war begins, I change the IC prioritizing to reinforcements and I disable the automatic trades. After that I cancel all trade deals with Germany, Japan, Italy and other Axis minors. And I also cancel all trade deals the AI proposes. I do the same in MP games. With that Germany should lowly runs out of certain resources. Is that evil or what? Later when im at war with Germany, I also kill Sweden, to shorten the iron supply of Germany.

The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact:
When you get this event select option C. There is nothing cooler than an unholy alliance with Germany, and they will decline it anyway lol. Well it certainly pays off to accept the pact, since you get many claims and free territory with it.

Enewald-Please read the reply properly, you will see the reason why I did guarantee the independence of Albania. And please dont post here just to higher you post quote (Write at least a compliment not some nonsense).

soonerborn0524-There are 4 other communist states.

Carlito Gambino-Yep.

Laurwin-I dont need to comment this right lol?

BritishImperial-Read below.

Lascars-Thats true.

Laurwin-Will see about that.

Miihkali-Thanks.

Personal comment:
About playing historically. I play semi historical. That means I can change the side events of the events happening, but I dont change the main events. I hope i made this understandable to those who wonder about historical game play. I didnt accept the purge because it is historical, but because it is effective. And I did ally Brazil because it is effective. Next time the Finish Winter war begins.

Last edited:
About paratrooper thing, Soviets and Germans were among first to pioneer it. They even included it in their doctrine which made possible the cooperation of all arms and envelopment of enemy from all sides, including above. Unfortunately, the purges were a great set back because many theorists were lost.
Or so I have heard.

About Finland. I ussualy concentrate most of my army along it's northern border in order to avoid fortifications. I also place there all my mobile units. I Lenningrad, I only leave enough troops to hold it (and since it's an fortified city it doesn't take much.). Then when war starts I break the Finnish front somewhere in the north (one province from Norway) and then race my mobile forcess to the coast in southwestern direction, and follow it capturing their capital and most of their VP's.

Nice to see someone actually going on the warpath. One question though, are paratroopers important? I haven't used 'em too much, but I'm playing a game as Imperial Russia right now (the Peace mod) and I'm planning on going on the warpath as well. Should I invest in paratroopers?

Carlito Gambino said:
Nice to see someone actually going on the warpath. One question though, are paratroopers important? I haven't used 'em too much, but I'm playing a game as Imperial Russia right now (the Peace mod) and I'm planning on going on the warpath as well. Should I invest in paratroopers?

i dont use them much - only to capture gibraltar and very unguarded provinces behind the lines - not becasue they are that bad, but because i cant be bothered to research, build, and position the transports for them, as they are realtively weak and can easily be captured behind the lines. in the right hands, though, they can be invaluable.

with regard to the aar, you seem to be kinda scared of finland? it seems a hell of a lot of divisions to take down an easy foe. also, i'd have said disbanding all the brigades is a big waste. each to his own though.

BritishImperial said:
i dont use them much - only to capture gibraltar and very unguarded provinces behind the lines - not becasue they are that bad, but because i cant be bothered to research, build, and position the transports for them, as they are realtively weak and can easily be captured behind the lines. in the right hands, though, they can be invaluable.

with regard to the aar, you seem to be kinda scared of finland? it seems a hell of a lot of divisions to take down an easy foe. also, i'd have said disbanding all the brigades is a big waste. each to his own though.

well, technologywise, its quite possible to techrush the '40 arty, and anti-tank well on time for mass production. I don't see any obvious advantage in upgrading and supplying those brigades in peace time?

But as I said, I skip almost totally on the air docs, naval docs, naval techs, most of the airplanes (except the CAS-II and FTR-II which will be techrushed, and placed into "eternal production" in 1939-1940)

I just prioritize infantry, artillery, antitank, cas, ftr. Then the land docs...not much else to be done in schedule imo, getting good stuff earlier in production is way much more important than air doctrines in peace time. Okay I admit that Alsknis dies in purges but tough shit :p

encryption and those worthless thingies are better researched with the obsolete bonus with the soviet tech teams :D. But naturally computers might be worth doing a bit before their research date.

Likewise, doctrines effect immediately without any further IC expenditure.

Well, the soviets had before the war some 500000 trained paratroopers -first in the world. They used some in the 'peaceful' occupation of Bessarabia (June-july 1940). After Barbarossa begun, all the available brigades were used as regular infantry units with only some small (regiment size) airborne operations linked with the partisan war or reducing pockets. A book by military historian David Glantz you could download here:The Soviet Airborne Experience