• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PublicTelephone

Recruit
3 Badges
Jun 30, 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
Hi,
What's happening is I'm having the game crash to desktop anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours in. The error log always says: Access Violation (0xc0000005), but despite doing a lot of troubleshooting, I'm still having the issue. I'm not running any mods in my version of the game.

Here's what I have done so far:
  • Verified integrity of the files
  • Uninstalled, reinstalled to SSD
  • uninstalled, reinstalled to HDD
  • Running newest GPU drivers
  • Tried -noWorkshop -disableMods -force-d3d9 in my launch options

and I'm running an Ryzen 5 3600X with a RTX 2070 Super and 16GB of RAM so I'm definitely OK on the system requirements side of things.

Let me know anything else I can provide--thank you. I have pastebins for the error.txt, error log, and my dxdiag but the forum keeps thinking they're spam. what can I do about this?

Attachments

• error.log
    16,5 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    90,6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
It's easier for us if you just attach the files to a post anyways. Raw text documents are easier to search and move around in than pastebin. Plus pastebin cuts the end of really long logs.

Is there a way I can do that? I'm not seeing it as an option in my toolbar. I posted a couple of things in the regular forum trying to shake this off but so far, no dice. sorry about this.

C:\Users\wease\AppData\Roaming\discord\0.0.306\modules\discord_hook\4d35b5f44b\DiscordHook64.dll
Please try disabling the Discord overlay before starting the game.

Please try disabling the Discord overlay before starting the game.
Sorry, I should have mentioned I fiddled with that the other day, both with Discord and with the Geforce overlay. Unfortunately the results are the same. New files are attached.

Attachments

• error.log
    16,5 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    93,3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't see any other cause for that crash in there actually. In that log it seemed to happen almost immediately on load, is that what you saw?

And can I ask why you are running in DirectX 9 mode?

We are not seeing any memory errors in there but you may as well increase your Windows paging file maximum to 32gb.

I don't see any other cause for that crash in there actually. In that log it seemed to happen almost immediately on load, is that what you saw?

And can I ask why you are running in DirectX 9 mode?

We are not seeing any memory errors in there but you may as well increase your Windows paging file maximum to 32gb.

Hi,
I was running in DX9 as part of some troubleshooting I was attempting to do prior to this posting, I've disabled it. I increased my paging file, and that did seem to help, but unfortunately another crash was in the cards for me. Regarding that game crashing at load, no, that's not accurate. I can usually run Cities for anywhere from half an hour to an hour and a half. New reports are attached.

I really appreciate your help. If it isn't obvious, I completely love this game--I just want it to work properly for me.

Attachments

• error.log
    9,5 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    94,9 KB · Views: 0
No smoking gun in there still unfortunately.

There is a slightly newer nVidia driver now may as well update to that:

And may as well restore the -force-d3d9 launch option, can't hurt.

And as the crash seems to be just after a save, Add cities.exe to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list in WIndows Defender.