• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huh. I came here looking to see if anyone else was experiencing the same constant, system-crippling BSOD crashes in Flashpoint content after the most recent AMD Adrenalin and Windows 10 updates, but it looks like bug fixes have basically stopped, and I've already spent the last three days troubleshooting rather than enjoying the game, sooooooo ...

The hundreds of hours of Campaign gameplay were fun, but I guess it's time to do me a heckin' uninstall and move on to other games. Thanks for the great core game, HBS! (Not so much the buggy and occasionally uninspired DLC, but whatevs.) I'll wait for BattleTech 2, if/when that happens.

[Edit] In case anyone is wondering why this post is less technical and more conversational in nature, it's because it was apparently moved here from the "Thank You" thread that HBS posted, announcing that further product development had stopped as of February 2020.
HBS promised technical support for the game would remain. You should make a bug report. There still joy to be had in this game through mods.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Greetings,
Huh. I came here looking to see if anyone else was experiencing the same constant, system-crippling BSOD crashes in Flashpoint content after the most recent AMD Adrenalin and Windows 10 updates

[Edit] In case anyone is wondering why this post is less technical and more conversational in nature, it's because it was apparently moved here from the "Thank You" thread
Looking for answers to support questions in the Thank You thread? Topically?
I've already spent the last three days troubleshooting rather than enjoying the game, sooooooo ...
And you Don't want support?

If looking for support: How to: tech support/bug report please attach the necessary files Dxdiag, Output Log, ect.

To save you some time you likely need to do so without the mods you've been using (per the post history) with a clean install so that support can help you troubleshoot when they are able.

I hope that helps.

Thank you.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please attach files rather than paste text. Please attach here the game log:
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt

To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

But to address your complaint there is no known bug in that DLC or elsewhere in the game that causes BSoD. Indeed they are virtually always hardware or driver problems. When you get one, what is the exact text on the screen please?

• 1Like
Reactions:
@BARBOSA (Aries) @Havamal @AndrewT

Guys, I'd like to apologize ... This past week has been really, really rough, and my original, asinine post reflected that. There isn't anything wrong with the game's DLC or my hardware. I found the problem, and it should have been obvious.

It hadn't occurred to me to do a Google search combining the name "Battletech" with the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error code in Windows from the BSoDs I was encountering. When I did that, I found a very old thread from this Forum, where a member of your CS team pointed out to another player that having RivaTuner running in the background could create all kinds of snarls with the Unity engine. I quit RivaTuner, then restored my GPU speeds to their defaults in MSI Afterburner, just in case.

Et voila - everything works like a charm now.

Please feel free to close the thread. Next time I'll spend a bit more time digging before I start assuming the problem is whatever game client I'm running.
Glad to see it all worked out for you.
I would actually recommend posting here to if you have an issue in the future that you can't diagnose.
I'm willing to bet Andrew might have caught that for you pretty quickly saving you some of the collateral frustration if he had the appropriate files to check.

Anyway: Good luck! And good gaming!

• 1Like
Reactions:
... aaaaand we're back to BSoDs again. Crap.

As far as I can tell, all my drivers are up-to-date, but I may have missed something. I'm not sure whether it's coincidental or not that these crashes started happening in the days following the installation of the latest Windows Update and AMD Adrenalin 20.9.1.

Only happens during BattleTech gameplay, even when the only two programs running (visibly, at least ...) are Steam and the BattleTech client.

I've attached the two files for @AndrewT to review as requested.

Two things to note:

(1) Firefox recently started locking up Windows as well. I have no idea why. It only happened when viewing YouTube videos, and as far as I recall, it only happened two or three times total in several weeks. Maybe it's related, even though it's far less frequent? [Edit: Forgot to mention that I've returned to using Chrome due to these weird lock-ups.]

(2) The BSoDs seem to happen on each second attempt to run a Mission in the game. I'll try to run the game once and get into the middle of a Mission; then, out of nowhere, the game will crash to desktop - sometimes with a Unity error, sometimes without. On my second attempt to run the game following the first crash, the BSoDs take place, usually around the same amount of time into a Mission. [Note: The crashes only happen during Missions. When on the Argo or in-between loading, there are no crashes.]

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    83,8 KB · Views: 0
  • output_log.txt
    144 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions:
Two BSoD in there which do not appear to be related to each other , or indeed the game:
Windows Error Reporting:
+++ WER0 +++:
Fault bucket IP_MISALIGNED_cdrom.sys, type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen

+++ WER1 +++:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen
Response: Not available
That first one reeks of a corrupted Windows module or a malware infestation, IMO.

What i would recommend is you revert to the May 2020 AMD video driver, which is the last stable one I know of. Remove your current one with this tool:
Reboot, install the May 2020 one from here:
and reboot again.

If that does not help, I fear you have a Windows or hardware problem, I am sorry!

Thanks, Andrew. I had a feeling it would be something video-related. I will use the steps you provided to cleanly roll back my AMD drivers. [Edit: Just thought of something ... Have you ever encountered difficulties like this with NVIDIA's drivers?]

If it is malware-related, would MalwareBytes be able to catch it and remove it? I regularly update and scan with Microsoft's built-in anti-virus and anti-malware tools, and they have never spotted anything amiss.

Two BSoD in there which do not appear to be related to each other , or indeed the game:

That first one reeks of a corrupted Windows module or a malware infestation, IMO.

What i would recommend is you revert to the May 2020 AMD video driver, which is the last stable one I know of. Remove your current one with this tool:
Reboot, install the May 2020 one from here:
and reboot again.

If that does not help, I fear you have a Windows or hardware problem, I am sorry!

Checked out all my hardware and my OS files. I couldn't find anything out of place, corrupted, etc.

Ran a full, deep scan with MalwareBytes. Nothing found.

Used the Clean Uninstall Utility to purge all the old drivers records, then downloaded and installed the last WHQL-certified drivers from the AMD site. Those were from late May.

The crashes and BSoDs continue, unfortunately. I think at this point I might as well just uninstall and save some hard drive space as I've completed the Campaign, don't have any interest in the multiplayer stuff, and can't take advantage of any of the DLC content.

My passed away father had often Malware problems - i had to use ADWcleaner for it. [...] Btw is Radeon Software 20.9.2 the newest driver.

I'm sorry for your loss, Thorqemada. :( I hope you're doing well, though.

I looked at MalwareBytes, which is supposed to be very comparable to ADWcleaner. Fortunately, the scan found nothing malicious.

Also, you're right - Adrenalin v20.9.2 is the "Recommended + Optional" version, while Adrenalin v20.9.1 is the "Recommended" one for people who just prefer stability. However, I found, while looking through AMD's support site, that the last time a certification was issued by Microsoft's WHQL for Adrenalin software intended for use with Windows 10 was back in May, like AndrewT mentioned above.

IMO you are edging towards needing a full Windows wipe and reinstall ... make sure you have tested backups of anything irreplaceable!

[Edit: Just thought of something ... Have you ever encountered difficulties like this with NVIDIA's drivers?]
Yes, but I'd say less often than with AMD.

Checked out all my hardware and my OS files. I couldn't find anything out of place, corrupted, etc.

Ran a full, deep scan with MalwareBytes. Nothing found.

Used the Clean Uninstall Utility to purge all the old drivers records, then downloaded and installed the last WHQL-certified drivers from the AMD site. Those were from late May.

The crashes and BSoDs continue, unfortunately. I think at this point I might as well just uninstall and save some hard drive space as I've completed the Campaign, don't have any interest in the multiplayer stuff, and can't take advantage of any of the DLC content.

I'm sorry for your loss, Thorqemada. :( I hope you're doing well, though.

I looked at MalwareBytes, which is supposed to be very comparable to ADWcleaner. Fortunately, the scan found nothing malicious.

Also, you're right - Adrenalin v20.9.2 is the "Recommended + Optional" version, while Adrenalin v20.9.1 is the "Recommended" one for people who just prefer stability. However, I found, while looking through AMD's support site, that the last time a certification was issued by Microsoft's WHQL for Adrenalin software intended for use with Windows 10 was back in May, like AndrewT mentioned above.

Well, first thx for your condolence.

That ADWCleaner does not find any malware is a good sign.
Have you sorted out power issues as well as heat issues?
Also it could be a RAM issue as RAM issues often lead to all kind of false error messages.
Is you PC overclocked? When the PC ages or is running close to its limits minimal changes can make or break it.

To the AMD Driver situation - nope the last official driver wth a WHQL certificate is 20.8.3 according to german Planet3DNow site:

I dont know how this affects you but for the case i may mention it - also P3DN:

Hope you find the prolem and get it fixed!

regards