Crashes repeatedly mid-mission, had to hard restart four times just to get Windows to launch in safe mode

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ghostpanther73

Recruit
18 Badges
Jul 4, 2020
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
I've logged about 120 hours of gameplay, so I am surprised to run into this repeating bug now.

After the Liberate Smithson story mission, I started a contract mission to destroy a base. Destroyed the defending garrison but whenever I approach the base and it comes into full view, the screen goes black and my computer becomes unresponsive.

The first time this happened, I restarted my computer with Windows launching normally. I did not relaunch the game right away.

Eventually I did start the game. On this attempt, I restarted the mission from the beginning and I ran into the same crash when I approached the base again.

There was no error code; my monitor went black. This time when I restarted my PC, Windows would not launch. After several tries, I relaunched Windows in safe mode.

I am verifying the integrity of my game files now, but I am reluctant to continue playing this game. I am now concerned about the file integrity of the other Paradox games I just bought on sale...

Upvote 0
Greetings

Please attach the output_log.txt, and dxdiag (if on windows). This will help diagnose the issue.

output_log.txt
  • C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
DXDIAG.txt
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

I have since worked around the bug by avoiding the section of the map that triggers the crash. It's like panning over the base causes the breakdown.

Greetings

Please attach the output_log.txt, and dxdiag (if on windows). This will help diagnose the issue.

output_log.txt
  • C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
DXDIAG.txt
DXDIAG is a program you run from a command prompt or the Windows start menu 'run' dialog box (or 'search programs' in Windows 7 or later). After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Attachments

• output_log.txt
    917,1 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    73,7 KB · Views: 0
A number of errors in that log I haven't seen before IIRC. If you run a Steam Verify against the game does it find anything to fix?

Tat's disappointing, I don't know what is causing this for you then.

This is only in one particular campaign, is that right?