• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

xatharas

Recruit
84 Badges
Apr 26, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
I use windows 11 (although the issue was present on windows 10 too), the game crashes when it saves, I can play as long as I want if I turn off autosave, but when I try to save it crashes (not saved) so it's unplayable. I tried clean installs and all other things mentioned in several threads! Nothing works, uninstalled in the end very dissappointed.

Crashing on save is most likely caused by something preventing eu4 from writing to the "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV/save games" folder. It could be that it is on a full cloud storage or that a ransomware protection software blocks eu4.
If you have the steam version of the game, you could try to enable cloud saves and see if cloud saves still work. And if you already use cloud saves, try to create a local save instead

Disclaimer: I'm not working for Paradox. I'm just trying to help people.

Thank you, I tried both of those, even tried launching the game with steam disconnected, did nothing. All my other paradox games work with no problem (CK2, Vic2, HoI 4). Only my favoutirte game is unplayable, just my luck I suppose. I have only one mod active (but I tried it without the mod, unsubsribed and deleted all save files) it all works fine as long as I don't save manually, strange thing is when I put on autosave sometimes it doesn't crah for a couple of years then... desktop!

I have heard about save problems in some mods. Maybe your installation is corrupted in some way and causing a similar problem. You could try a clean reinstall as described in my guide on reddit about common startup problems with version 1.29 if you are still interested in trying to get it to work. After the clean reinstall, make sure that there are no active mods in the playsets section of the launcher

Thank you, I tried everything in your guide except the roll back (I'm on 1.34.4) I'll try that. Thank you for the guide though, I found that through Google and tried it.
Edit, just tried the roll back and it doesn't seem to crash, problem is I want to play with the extended timeline mod, and that doesn't work with 1.28.3 :( So it is a solution but not for me.

Last edited:
The guide says rolling back to 1.28, because that was the previous version when it came out. Extended timeline is the mod which is most often associated with crashes on save. IIRC it didn't happen with that mod on version 1.32, so you could try to roll back to 1.32.2 and download the 1.32 version of extended timeline from the usermods forum.
Does it really also crash when saving if you disable all mods and use version 1.34.4? If it does, which checksum is displayed in the main menu(the one in the launcher doesn't count).

I use windows 11 (although the issue was present on windows 10 too), the game crashes when it saves, I can play as long as I want if I turn off autosave, but when I try to save it crashes (not saved) so it's unplayable. I tried clean installs and all other things mentioned in several threads! Nothing works, uninstalled in the end very dissappointed.
I'm also facing the same issue.

I'm also facing the same issue.
Please start your own new thread! In there give full problem history and system details. Thanks.