• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

brxbrx

Lt. General
14 Badges
Jan 5, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Impire
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Rome Gold
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
That the game crashed on me is tolerable. That the game lost my saves as well is not.

This has happened to me twice. Twice too many.

I am uninstalling. Too bad I already spent my money.

Was there any crash information for a bug/tech support thread?

Moved to tech support

Here's all I got:
Product
Warlock 2 - The Exiled

Problem
Stopped working

Date
1/24/2015 9:10 AM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: game.exe
Application Version: 2.2.202.24549
Application Timestamp: 545789cd
Fault Module Name: d3dx9_43.dll
Fault Module Version: 9.29.952.3111
Fault Module Timestamp: 4bf7318d
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 001bc852
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

It's a fun game, so I decided to reinstall.
It happened again. And I was saving manually every few turns, too. I lost at least ten minutes of saved games. That can be a lot of turns.

Can the developers at least make it so that the game crashes WITHOUT losing my saves? I don't want to keep doing the same crap over and over.

This sounds like you might be playing on a Mac or Linux. If so, please right click the game -> Properties -> BETAS -> Select the beta patch in the dropdown list.

I have 4 gigs of memory installed, although with a 32-bit system.

Also, why would I need to install DirectX? Shouldn't the game have installed the relevant version already?

Sure, but you are getting a crash in DirectX. This is not normal, so perhaps the installation went badly. Certainly there's no harm in trying what I suggested.

Because of 32bit Windows a fair amount of your 4gb of installed memory will be used by the system and unavailable to Windows, usually between 3.25 to 3.5 gb only will be actually available. And, as I said, 32bit Windows limits all apps to only 2gb of that much, reserving the rest for Windows.

We can change that to 2.5 as follows:

1: Open Command Prompt (it's in Accessories in Vista)

2: Set it to be in Admin mode http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx

3: Paste this in: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2560

4: Restart

5: If you ever need to undo: BCDEdit /deletevalue increaseuserva

There are differences between DirectX9 and 11. Luckily you can have both at the same time. Everyone has 10 or 11 now, but not all have 9. Installing 9 helps a lot of issues with our games.

Well, reinstalling DirectX didn't work.
Now I'll try changing my memory settings. Can I get some sort of guarantee that that won't blow up my computer?

You know, I just took another gander at the system requirements, and I just noticed they specify 64-bit. I wish I had looked closer before I bought the game. Should I just give up hope until I get a new rig?

If you have 32bit Windows AND 3gb or more of memory, the above can't hurt and might help. Otherwise do not use it.

But I'd suggest you need to start planning to move to 64bit Windows, so games can use more than 2gb of memory.

Well, I uninstalled. I figure it'll be easier to just wait to enjoy Warlock 2 until after I get a job and save up some money for a new rig.
I appreciate your help, and I'm sorry if I seemed surly. Unfortunately, I neglected to look closely at the system requirements.

For what it's worth, I really did have fun playing the game. Great job, devs.

For some reason I got a brain lapse and totally missed that this was about Warlock 2 in my last post. Thought it was a PDS game. Luckily Andrew is still on top of things and give correct advice.