• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jun 22, 2022
Hello, I am new here and couldnt find any thread helpfull. Please redirect me, if I overlooked sth.

Since 1.6.1 I can maximum reach the first loading screen before crash. I dont have any DLCs, uninstalled and reinstalled the Game, uninstalled all mods and did many of the general fix soloutions (, check file integrity, run as admin eg). *Maybe someone can find the problem in my crash reports?

I tried it with 1.6.0 beta, too, but that doesnt work neither.

Thanks!

Attachments

• error.log
    817 bytes · Views: 0
  • game.log
    58 bytes · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    42,7 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    863 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Several problem mods in there, so let's try a clean reinstall and mod removal:

- move any valued save games elsewhere
- "uninstall" in Steam-CK3
- unsubscribe from ALL mods in the Steam Workshop for this game
- manually delete both the Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3 AND Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3 folders
- re-install game in Steam, run a Steam Verify when done.
- add CK3.exe to the exceptions list of your antivirus app; ESPECIALLY if you have Windows Defender, add it to the Ransomware "Apps Allowed Through" list.
- start the game with no mods active and test

In particular make sure there are no files or folders left under either the Steam CK3 or Documents CK3 locations, before installing again.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply!
I did as you suggested, but still doesnt work. If I run it via the paradox launcher I get a pop-up, saying my files might be corrupted (its in German, but you probabbply know which one I mean). Thats new compared to before.
If I run it via the short cut on my desktob as admin I get to the first (grey) or second ("Initializing game") loading screen before it crashes.
One more curious observation: CK3 showas up three times in my "allow apps" list for windows Defender. I allowed all of them, of course.

Any more ideas? Uninstall and install C++ ?

Thx!

Attachments

• debug.log
    52,5 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    1,4 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
    12,8 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
Edit: CK2 also doesnt work anymore, the launcher stays completly black (even after going all the suggested steps and reinstall). EU4 (didnt have time to test reinstall) loads with black screen and music, but stays stuck there.
Dono if that is any helpfull, but it seems the issue isnt about the latest CK3 Update but might be related to ath Paradox-related on my PC? Didnt have issues with any of the three mentioned games before...

Thanks again for the help!

What happens if you run ck3.exe , ck2game.exe and eu4.exe directly from file explorer?

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

What happens if you run ck3.exe , ck2game.exe and eu4.exe directly from file explorer?

CK3: No launcher, just reaches the first or first two loading screens until crash
CK2: Error pop-up saying that I have to start CK2 via Steam the first time. Via Steam the launcher now looks like in the image attached

Attachments

• CK2_launcher.JPG
    CK2_launcher.JPG
    55,5 KB · Views: 0
  • DxDiag.txt
    94,2 KB · Views: 0
  • debug.log
    52,4 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    9,3 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
  • system.log
Thank you again!
Sadly the same result after following your steps. CK2 launcher complete black again, no remnants of UI anymore. CK3 first loading screen crash.
I am aware that my laptop isnt ideal for running paradox games. But I still dont get why they all worked before (even with oudated grafics treiber), even stellaris, which I assume is much more demanding than old CK2...

Attachments

• debug.log
    52,5 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    6,1 KB · Views: 0
  • game.log
  • system.log
We still get all those video and DirectX 11 errors, very odd.

Let's look at the CK2 logs:

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/settings.txt
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK2/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

There is noe "exeptions log" and "error log" is empty, probbably coz i dont even get CK2 to the point it crahes, since the launcher just stays black until I close it eventually.

would it be helpfull to check out whether any of my other paradox games (HOI4, Stellaris) work?

Attachments

• system.log
    7,5 KB · Views: 0
No obvious problem in that file. Was there no settings.txt?

would it be helpfull to check out whether any of my other paradox games (HOI4, Stellaris) work?
No harm in trying! Both via the launcher and directly from their .exe files, I'd suggest.

Can I get a new dxdiag.txt please, since the driver update. And install and run the free utility Speccy. Send its output to a text file and attach that here too, thanks.

How did HOI4 and Stellaris go?

In that dxdiag.txt we see several LiveKernelEvent entries. These happen when Windows is forcibly downed or rebooted; have you seen that happen, if so it is related to these games or something else? They can indicate a Windows or hardware problem.

In that Speccy file, under Not Installed we see many failed or in Progress Windows updates going back to 2020. If you manually run the Update utility does it find anything to do? If so apply those updates and reboot.