Cradle of Civilization 2.0 Assyria and Church of The East

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AirikrStrife

Bergakungen
20 Badges
Jul 30, 2010
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
Ashur_god.jpg

This is a continuation of my previous work on Assyria, now in a larger scope, adding religious mechanics, mission tree, government reforms and national ideas ( NI's areCourtesy of FredrikSlicer). Through missions and modifiers I have aimed at creating a strong playstyle for a reborn Assyria which gives bonuses to both military, convesion and indirect rule through vassals. Sometimes even making contradictory modifiers avaible (such as having +2 promoted cultures, and reduced culture conversion cost, missionary strenght and tolerance of heretics). Play as the first empire the world ever saw, the empire from which all thereafter came from

Most of the source material is from wikipedia or are linked during the conversation in this thread below: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/independent-assyrian-tribes.1046634/ by @oim8 and this thread by @AndrejK in his old thread https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/fertile-crescent-focus-on-details.920691/

index.php

Two new provinces, Hakkari with the independent Hakkari tag, Assyrian culture and Nestorian religion. Goods produced is Wool, and I'll probably up it's development from the 1/1/1 I originally made it into (1/2/2 feels better). To the south is the Amadiya province of the Bahdinan emirate, part of Bitlis but have Assyrian culture and Nestorian religion, development around 5 aswell and an Hakkari core

3 additional provinces have been changed, Mardin now have Assyrian culture but coptic religion, and not seen in above map Urmia have Assyrian culture, Nestorian religion and Hakkari core.

Socotra now are Nestorian rather than Coptic

Hakkari, primary tag for new Assyrian culture (caucasian culture group) Tribal Monarchy

Flag:

800px-Flag_of_Assyria_%281913-1923%29.svg.png
(WW1 era but suitable)

National Ideas (designed by @fredrikslicer )

Traditions
+1 Hostile Attrition
+15% fort defense

Gooraneh
The Assyrian tribes founding principle is the division of temporal and spiritual power between two brothers, one spiritual leader, the Metropolitan and his brother the civil chief reigning over the local lords.
+2 tolerance of true faith

Interfaith communities
Long have we lived close to Jews, yezidis and kurds and fostered many happy friendships and as the powers around seek to subvert our independence these bonds have become even more important.
+2 Tolerance towards heathens

Legacy of Adiabene
The ecclesiastical province of Adiabene once united much of what we once called Assyria and though it perished during the 14th century the christian communities remain as the last bastion of the church of the east to liberate our brothers and unite the followers of Christ.
-25% Cost to create claim

Tukhma
We are scattered between the plains and mountains so great is this hindrance that it is only the deep kinship to one another that holds us together blood and faith!
+1 Legitimacy/Devotion

Fertile plains
In spite of the hostile terrain we have been afforded, by the grace of god, some plains upon which we may plant our seeds not only for wheat and barley but also for luxuries like cotton and tea.
+10% Goods produced

Catholic communion
In the 16th century rivalries between the various bishops began emerging creating a schism eventually one of them assumed the title of patriarch and aligned himself with the pope of Rome while not a welcome change we do benefit from closer relations with other Christians.
+1 Diplomatic reputation

Gawar route
The Urmian plains are a much desired destination for many Assyrians as is Gawar for those who wish to make it through the mountains this has created us an ideal situation for trade.
+10% Trade efficiency

Ambitions
+10% Army morale

Formable tag: Assyria

Flag

1024px-Flag_of_the_Assyrians_%28no_Assur%29.svg.png
(modern flag but also suitable for our purposes)

Formation requirment:

Is not a tribe

Christian religion group

Is independent

Owns core provinces Mosul, Antioch, Baghdad, Edessa and controls half of the Mashriq regions provinces/development

Changes Government rank to Kingdom, gives new missions and ideas and permanent claims on Mashrig region +10 prestige and increased centralization modifier

Assyrian National ideas (designed by @fredrikslicer and myself)

Traditions:
+1 yearly army tradition
+1 missionary

Bounty of the Fertile crescent
The cradle of Civilisation which stretches from Basra to Sinai are all under our rule. Along its rivers the bounty of wheat and offspring shoot up like the cyprus trees filling our bellies and armies alike. Indeed the blood of the nations flow along its rivers.
+10% Goods produced
+10% Manpower modifier

God raised up the Assyrians
The Assyrians were once the instrument of god having granted us an empire with which to do his work:
"O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation." Isaiah 10:5
And once more we have become raised up by the one god to punish the Islamic heathens and make Israel a place of pious worship once more.
+10% army morale

Custodians of Christendom
The Territory of the old Assyrian empire is a perfect overlay over the significant christian sites; Baghdad, Jerusalem, Antioch and Alexandria. Indeed this is fortunate as we are the guardians of the most holy of places in the faithful world, a truly sacred empire.
+2 Tolerance of true faith
+1 Diplomatic Reputation

Baptized Emirs
The landscape of Mesopotamia have splintered near impossible. Instead of forcing all under our laws the most remote or stubborn regions we have been baptizing their chiefs. The conversion has made all part of the empire by the Patriarch of Baghdad and now respects divine right of the Great king of the Assyrians.
+2 diplomatic relations

The Hammer Shatters Glass but Forges Steel
The weak has shattered, we have persisted. We are the steel of the blade that rise up above the world. Ours is the destiny to stand stronger than anyone else
+5% discipline

Adopt European Feudalism
There has not been a chain of command beyond tribal alligances for some time but following contact with the catholic states of Europe we have gained many advisors from countries like france and spain who speak of feudalism. A system of Oaths and responsibilities which garuntee the safety of the lesser classes, privliges for the nobles and stability for the Monarch. Adopting this system will allow us to wield the full mightr of the Christian Assyrian empire.
+50% Vassal forcelimit contribution
+50% Vassal tax income

Cradle of Civilization
In our lands lay the cradle of civilization, nay: We are the cradle of civilization. The first Empire and the first christians. The splendor in the world is merely a mirrorimage of ours. We are the past, we are the future!
+2 prestige

ambition
+2 accepted cultures

Assyrian/nestorian governments:

As Assyrian tribes had both civil and religious leadership, and the highest power in the Assyrian world were the patriarch of the church, I have design option for both an Assyrian monarchy infused with divine power, and a Syriac theocracy headed by the patriarch.

Theocratic government available to Syriac Christians

Syriac Theocracy

Theocratic government; haven't figured out how to best define it's scope, but idea is that anyone following syriac rite Christianity, so including nestorians, Coptic/myaphisite syriacs, Maronite Catholics, and indian S:t Thomas Christians

+1 tolerance of true faith

+1 missionary strength

-10% culture conversion cost

(representing the use of Syriac scripture/language and rite)

if nestorian:

+0.5 church power (more about this on religious mechanics)

Reform/Secularization? government reform:

Patriarch of the East

+2 Tolerance of Heretics

+25% improve relationship

(typical title held by Syriac patriarchs, represents their claim to all of eastern Christianity)

Monarchy government reform

Patriarch King
Avaible to Assyria
A monarchy there the king is invested with the spiritual power of the patriarch and rules with divine right

-10% subject liberty desire

-10% unjustified demands

+1 states

+5 maximum absolutism
Or Nestorianism. Here follows the mechanics I thought out for this religion. Worth noting is that I designed the religion to be weak for smaller state and grow in power the larger the state becomes

Nestorian religion

When reading about church of the east, we mostly see list of different ecclesiastical provinces, being of great importance I decided to design a feature around designating metropolitan provinces, as a mix between the already existing orthodox mechanic and the ottoman pasha mechanic.

Base modifiers and religious icon are same as CK2 converter:
-10% administrative technology cost
+2 tolerance of true faith
-1% local missionary strenght

Establishing an Ecclesiastical province increases state maintenance by 33%, gives reduced devastation in the province and is the main way to achieve church power/patriarch authority (haven't come up with a unique name for this yet). removing an ecclesiastical provinces causes loss of church power

The idea is that in the religion tab there is a meter which is filled up based primarily on the number of ecclesiastical provinces. The meter on it's own reduces stability cost at 25% when full.

In the tab there are 4 different action target nation can choose that gives bonuses (only 1 bonus can be active at a time):

1. Surviving in isolation:
Costs 10 church power

For 10 years
Reduces church power gain with 10%
Gives 50% hostile core creation in capital province area

2. Developing the interior province

costs 25 church power
gives 1 year cash income
for 10 years:
reduces church power gain with 25%
-10% Development cost in home region

3. Expanding the exterior provinces

costs 50 church power
gives 1 year manpower
for 10 years:
reduces church power gain with 50%
-25% core creation cost* in one region not your home**

*could be replaced with -20% aggressive expansion if deemed to powerful
**Idea is that you get a list of regions to choice from, you have to have at least 25% of development in that region region

4. Communion with the catholic church
Is permanently in effect until deactivated and can always be activated as long as no other modifier is in place
gives -100% church power gain.
Removes all diplomatic penalties with Catholics, Catholics are treated as true faith and target country is also protected by the catholic defender of faith/can claim the title themselves

Through unique nestorian missions, there is also the the possibility to create 3 centers of reformations in Mer, China and India, which will help spread the nestorian faith outside the boundaries in the motherland, just like it did historically though trade and missionaries.

Church power gain per year:
(all numbers are sketch work)

Base +0.5 for duchy/kingdom +1 for empire

+0.5 for Syriac theocracy government reform

+0.5 from religious ideas

+0.5 for 100% religious unity (Scaling from 0 at 50%, 0.1 at 60% etc)

+0.1 from every ecclesiastical province capped at 5/month i.e. E.provinces over 50 won't give any benefits

+0.5 for Province of the Patriarch modifier

Meaning a max of 8 church power per month, costs 50 to activate focus on external provinces, takes 7 years to form up enough church power, once activated you loose your 50 church power and only get +4 for the next ten years, meaning it will be 12 years until you can activate next time, and this is only if you choose all ways to gain extra power

Lila and Magenta colorization represents missions becoming avaible after forming Assyria, green represents missions avaible to the nestorian faith
upload_2019-6-28_12-50-13.png

Line 1:

Eber Nari:
Own or have a subject own Aleppo, Syria, Palestine and Syrian Desert areas
get 10 prestige and reduced unrest and state maintenance for 20 years

School of Edessa:
Convert Edessa
Changes culture to Assyrian, gives permanent claims on Egypt region except Cyrenaica and upper nubia

Conquer Egypt:
Own or have a subject own all provinces (see above)
Gain permanent claim on Anatolia region
Gain claim on Lower Nubia

Expand westward:
Own or have a subject own Anatolia
Gains some reward

Restore Palmyra:
Tadmor have 10 development and temple
Local building spree modifier

Decipher Cuneiform (renamed decipher old assyrian):
Build universities in Mosul and Baghdad
Gain 10 prestige and 10 Legitimacy/devotion

Line 2:

Conquer Heartland:
Own and core following provinces: Mosul, Urmia, Amadiya, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Urfa, Mardin, Arbil, Hisn Kayfa
Get faithful liberated in above provinces

Nineveh Restored:
Convert Mosul to ROOT religion
Mosul changes culture to Assyrian, changes name to Nineveh and capital is moved there. Permanent claims on all Mashriq except Transjordan + provinces in Shahrizor except Ardalan

An Army for a Kingdom:
Generic build to force limit stuff, just felt I needed something like this

Assyrian Military revival:
As I toyed with the idea of this being added to the CoC expansion I thought it could use army professionalism here.
Bonus is 20% culture conversion cost for 20 years

Imperial Language:
Have at least 50% of owned provinces be of Assyrian culture
Gain claim of all of Mashriq (we already get this as part of forming Assyria, dunno if this is needed, same overlapped with country formation and other missions)

Assyrian Empire:
Fulfill previous mission and control all of Mashriq as core provinces
Changes rank to Empire

King of Lands:
Have five vassals
-25% diplomatic annexation cost

King of the four corners of the world: (subject provinces count)
Have provinces on four continents
-20% Aggressive expansion for 20 years

King of the Universe:
Have 7 accepted cultures
-10 years of separatism for 20 years

This three last missions are based on titles held by assyrian kings, I out them in special color because I wanted special requirments to access them, but not having them chained to each other, in the end though I just let them be as stand alone achievments

Line 3:

Beth Nahrain:
Own or have a subject own Al Jazira, Iraq Arabi, Basra, Kirkuk and Suleyman
-33% missionary maintainance for 20 years

Restore Holy City:
Convert Baghdad to Nestorianism
Baghdad changes culture to Assyrian, Gains permanent claim on Khuzestan and Ilam

Elam:
Own or have a subject own Khuzestan and Ilam
Gains permanent claim on Bahrain, Fars, Pirate coast, Mogostan, Gulf coast

Gulf of Persia:
Own or have a subject own above mentioned areas:
Gain permanent claim on Iran region
Gain claim on Oman and Yemen

Iran:
Own or have a subject own Iran region
Get's Permanent claims on Armenia, Shirvan, Georgia, Samtshke and Immereti

Caucasus:
Own or have a subject own above mentioned areas.

Line 4:

Indian Ocean fleet:
Have at least 25 light ships and 90% of naval force limit
Gain extra trade range
Gain permanent claims on Malabar

S:t Thomas Christians:

Own or have a subject own Malabar area and have Cochin being Nestorian in religion
Gives claims on Deccan region

Line 5 (Nestorian religion branch):

Province of the Patriarch
Make Iraq i Arab an Ecclesiastical province
Gives a permanent modifier for +0.5 church power

Strengthen India:
Make one area in India superregion an ecclesiastical province
Random nestorian province in India get's nestorian center of reformation for 50 years

Proselytize Mongols:
One country with Altaic culture, be Nestorian in religion
Target country becomes historical friend

Refound Cathay:
Make one area in china superregion an ecclesiastical province
Random nestorian province in China get's nestorian center of reformation for 50 years

Restore Diocese of Merv:
Merv is Nestorian
Nestorian center of reformation appears in Merv for 50 years

Prester John:
Be a great power (ROM) or have 50 power projection and ally one catholic country
Get major relationship bonus with catholic countries and +1dip rep

My attempt at missions have been a lot of going back and forth between how large missions should be, and how I should define certain mission areas/criteria for what counts here and there. I have been mixing between using concepts from ancient Assyria, modern Assyria/Aramea and the history of the Church of the east to gain what I think is a smooth chain of missions with not too many oddities

Rewards are typically not refined unless I have something I specifically had in mind as a reward and could definitely get worked at in many of the missions.

Assyria and Nestorianism is designed to be an extremely poor starter, but once the snowballs goes rolling it becomes a massive power with strong bonuses for conquest and managing it's empire in various ways.

Are you ready to take one of the strongest challenges EUIV could possibly offer? Restore the original Empire to it's rightful place in the sun?

Achievement:
Translatio Imperii: As Assyria, be the only empire rank nation in the game

In general I would appreciate any feedback on mechanics, numbers etc, but also added content such as name lists for assyrians, dynamic names for provinces etc and so far I have no events for this topic, a few which could be made covering the rise of Assyria, the archeological excavations of ancient mesopotamia, the religious relations etc.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
There are some really interesting addition, but some of the structure doesn't make sense, (though there are some obvious miistake there you have beth nahrain twice for example)

Eber nari (syria) comes before beth nahrain (mesopotamia) but there are two beth nahrain missions. Still you can complete both missions before even doing the assyrian homeland mission
Restore assur comes on a paralell branch to the restore homeland
Also the game allows for 5 lines going down

I also considered the formation of assyria and extended mission trees, that's why school of edessa and restore holy city comes where it does after forming assyria so the perma claims comes at appropriate times

Then the next issue is how I also wanted specific nestorian missions (that's why I don't have a khorasan mission, it got cut when I decided to make a mission for merv instead)

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know much about this topic; but this looks great. The missons, religion, and governments all look great and think the devs might need to consider this proposal seriously.

We need a more buffed up Middle East.
SInce we are talking about non-muslims of the region...
Persian "Zoroastrian branch" - after existing consolidation mission, if Perisia is Zoroastrian, then there be new missions below -
-Restore old cities (regions, provinces and cities are renamed in BCE fasion, see Imperator)
-Prepare for grand conquests (50+ regiments, 80% manpower, general)
-Babylonia and Nineviah (controll all Iraq, some Syria, gain claims)
-Palistine conqest
-Lydia conquest (Asia Minor)
-Egypt conquest
-Restore Pharaon title (50 prestige, 800 dev, full Egypt region)
-Eastern Satrapies
Restoration of Immortals is totally optional

About Egypt -
Still waiting for coptic Alexandria and 3-4 Nile provinces as Coptic
Coptic culture with Coptic Egypt tag
Precious metals in Eastern Desert (historical mining site)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Re-wrote the Missions.

Took away duplicates and each row is no more than five missions

Attachments

• Missions of Assyria (1).png
    Missions of Assyria (1).png
    105,9 KB · Views: 39
We need a more buffed up Middle East.
SInce we are talking about non-muslims of the region...
Persian "Zoroastrian branch" - after existing consolidation mission, if Perisia is Zoroastrian, then there be new missions below -
-Restore old cities (regions, provinces and cities are renamed in BCE fasion, see Imperator)
-Prepare for grand conquests (50+ regiments, 80% manpower, general)
-Babylonia and Nineviah (controll all Iraq, some Syria, gain claims)
-Palistine conqest
-Lydia conquest (Asia Minor)
-Egypt conquest
-Restore Pharaon title (50 prestige, 800 dev, full Egypt region)
-Eastern Satrapies
Restoration of Immortals is totally optional

About Egypt -
Still waiting for coptic Alexandria and 3-4 Nile provinces as Coptic
Coptic culture with Coptic Egypt tag

More flavour for zoroastrian persia would be nice,

Coptic alexandria is not a thing, city was majority muslim and no threads on this forum managed to prove majority coptic provinces in egypt

Reactions:
Those died out by 1350. Wadi al-Allaqi, which had a large amount of gold, was mostly abandoned.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.119.5006&rep=rep1&type=pdf

May be a mod can be done? before implemented by devs)
WIll be first to subscribe/download
I agree because I want to what happens in test runs (if they die out in 50 years or hold out). My only concern is that it's basically QQ fodder. Hisn Kayfa is similar, but since it's Sunni it can get allies a lot easier than Coptics can. Having said that, it's a really good suggestion @AirikrStrife =D!

Reactions:
Modding the map is easy. Missions trees doesn't seem too hard to do in terms of programing. It's religious mechanics that would be difficult. (I will not do any modding myself though)

I did mod the caucasus mod and ran a few test runs. Hakkari rarely survived, though one time it respawned. Buffing caucasian nations helped it a little bit. Although it's so long ago i did this so i don't remember much

I want to emphazise, this is how it should be. The likelyhood of restored assyrian empire is similiar to achievments like albania or iberia. I don't believe in weird shit to make the player railroaded to achieve fantasy results, for all but the best players, this content would only be accessible via custom designer nations (which includes me)

Should you detail more about Nestorian mechanics.
I see that Nestorianism should convert some provinces even outside their borders.

Also remember the Socotra tag: perhaps starting as a vassal or something, so that we have another Nestorian country.
Perhaps an OPM in India could work for T Thomas Christians, yet I know not much about the subcontinent.

Socotra as nestorian should be a thing.
About crhristianity in India - it was somewhat spread in Tang-China era. Not in 15 century.
But some events aboutn local christians flocking to same-faith leader - good idea.

The Mongol Empire was built by the Nestorians. So the Nestorians may try to restore the Mongolian empire, very little time has passed. The Golden Horde was the first to fall away, where the Muslim Berke came to power, who was hostile to Hulagu (Iran) and Kublai (China), who killed (poisoned) christian Sartak,

There are a lot of followers of the Nestorians, but there was no one to lead and re-establish ties. Because the economy of the Church was destroyed by civil wars.

Christianity in the history of the Golden Horde
In the middle of the XIII century. The greatest influence in the Juchi Ulus (during the reigns of Sartak and Ulagci) was the Nestorians, who in the middle - the end of the XIII century were part of the aristocracy of the Mongolian empire, which made them the most influential religious and political group. The main political goal of the Nestorians was dominance in the united Mongolian empire. All the above functions were carried out by the nestoria church in the interests of the Mongolian and 'Golden Horde khans. However, the court position of the group was the most dangerous and fraught with a crushing fall due to political mistakes or changes in the situation. So it happened. As a result of a clash of political interests with the Djuchids who sought to secede from the empire, the Nestorian grouping in the Golden Horde was destroyed during the rule of Berke. This was facilitated by the court character of the group, its ethnocultural isolation in the Golden Horde and the lack of support among the major Golden Horde ethnic groups. At the end of XIII - XIV centuries. Non-Christian communities survived on the territory of the Golden Horde, some Nestorians held high positions in the state apparatus, but they no longer had any political influence and experienced a sermon from Orthodox and Catholic missionaries.

Last edited:
This is where the Nestorian Christians ruled.
They need the mission of restoring the Silk Road to overthrow the Ming dynasty, the mission of overthrowing Egypt, the mission of subordination of the former vassal - the Ottoman beylik, the former vassal - Muscovy, Novgorod.

mongolimper.jpg

Should you detail more about Nestorian mechanics.
I see that Nestorianism should convert some provinces even outside their borders.

Also remember the Socotra tag: perhaps starting as a vassal or something, so that we have another Nestorian country.
Perhaps an OPM in India could work for T Thomas Christians, yet I know not much about the subcontinent.

I updated the description for nestorianism. Thanks for pointing that out.

Socotra is such an obscure part of the world. But I think it's plausible to have it independent/vassal. What sources have you used for Socotra?

I personally would have Hakkari province steal Bitlis´s border with Amadia, to resemble the borders of the current Turkish province of the same name.
I might be tempted to demand a Niniveh Plains province, but for the purposes of EU4 I would choose not to, despite the area would probably have a different culture than Mosul city itself.
As with Hisn Kayfa, should the mood be set for it, the southeastern part of the province could become detatched to form a new province of Siirt, however I would choose not to as of right now.

What would be of primary concern and could be implemented is the question of Urmia: AFAIK the province was home to a considarable Chrisitan community, and could be considered to have a Christian plurality. Given the density of the provinces in the region, Urmia is quite large and could be divided in two, with the other province being Salmas.

another candidate for provincehood would be Nisibis (currently split between Nusaybin on the Turkish side and Qamishli on the Syrian side), which was the site of an early Assyrian university. This could get featured in the mission tree.
Looking at Sinjar: you shouldnt have Sunni as your religion should you? *Recalling the Yezidis trapped in the mountain*. I would go with either Shia or Zoroastrian as a placeholder.

To sum it up:
  • Change borders to give Hakkari some land from Bitlis
  • Consider making Urmia Assyrian/Nestorian, or splitting it to accomaodate a new province of Salmas
  • Consider changing religion of Sinjar
  • Possible candidates for provincehood: Siirt, Nisibis, Salmas
Continue to emphasize Socotran and St Thomas Nestorians

Uygur had a system of three religions: Buddhism, Manichaeism, Nestorianism. Mongolian writing was Uygur, China under the Mongols was ruled by literate Uygurs, the Governor of Ilkhan in Anatolia was Uygur, his name was Eretna. Uygur Christians pushed the Mongols to aggressive campaigns in the Middle East. There was another political movement in Mongolia that did not approve of campaigns against Muslims, but wanted campaigns against Europe, against Catholics. There was a war between these parties

Reactions: