• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Two monks arrive at the Papal Court.

They identify themselves as Brother Abot Johannes and Brother Justantinus. They are here to speak with the Holy Father about matters concerning the Roman Church in Bavaria.

The guard looked at the two monks, and didn't even half to ask.

Brothers, His Holiness is in Barcelona. His Eminence, Pietro Cardinal Tomacelli, the Dean of the College of Cardinals and Spiritual Regent in the absence of His Holiness, is right this way.

The Swiss guard led the men down the winding halls of the Castel. Inside the lavish room of the Dean, the men were greeted by the Archbishop of Ostia.

Dear Brothers in Christ, Welcome. What can I do for you?

The two monks entered the Dean's room. They made a respective bow.

"Oh our dear Brother in Faith. We thank you out of the base of our hearts." the Abbot spoke.

"It is with great sadness that we have come to this city of our Lord Almighty. You see your Excellency, our Abbey lies in Bavaria, the Dukes of Bavaria refuse to bow to the Holy Father here in Rome. The poor souls who life in their lands risk to live in hell. We seek guidance in this matter. We have tried words of faith however we haven't been able to speak with Duke Albrecht as he has recently been taken ill, undoubtly a punishment from the Lord. Your Excellence, would it be a sin to reward the ones bowing to the Holy Father with more then a place in Heavan?"

osstarfall.JPG

Blaz of House Gozze-Gucetic

Blaz looked thoughtfully as he thinking it over and replied back, nodding:

Blaz Father, we are most graceful that you decided to accepted us so we may talk about the matters of the states... my Republic is the one of the best hope for Catholics in Balkan... Indeed, one of our greatest laws said "Non-Catholics could not be granted Ragusan citizenship" Which is why that all citizens of the Republic are Catholic... All who want to join the Republic must be converted to the True Faith and the Muslims were not even allowed to stay in the city overnight... that show our great commitment to defend Catholic from Muslims... Nevertheless, I am concerned that it is imperative to deal with these Muslims although we are shamed that we have to deal with them to maintain our Republic... We are ever loyal to our religious head of our Faith...

He bowed his head in respect...

Blaz I beg for the Holy See's permission to allow us to trade with these Muslims. It is called "Privilegium navigationis ad partes Orientis". Since 1373, His Holiness, Pope Gregory XI allowed us to trade in all countries ruled by musilms, to transport pilgrims and goods to the Holy Land, to maintain contact with Muslims and to build churches and install our ambassadors in their countries. This was confirmed again by His Holiness, Pope Urban VI. And now, with very sad death of Pope Urban VI, we are now hoping to gain same from Holy See. Since we are only across the sea from your lands, maybe some trade agreements could be agree upon? And may I ask how that His Holiness doing so far?

He bowed his head in reverence...

Cardinal Tomacelli's Quarters​

Cardinal Tomacelli listened intently to what the Bavarian Monks had to say. He cpondered for a moment, and finally spoke.

Brother, if you are refering to beatification or even cannonization, then that is something His Holiness will have to consider. If the man has lived a pius and faithful life, and becomes a standard-bearer of the Holy Catholic Church, then beatification is definately a possiblilty. Although I would never give such favors away for political repercussions, Duke Albrecht will be looked considered when the time comes. I will pray for the Duke's health, and ask you to continue preaching to the people of Bavaria to turn to the Holy Church, Universal and Apostolic.

Father DiRossio's Quarters​

The elderly priest carefully listened to the Ragusan Emissary. His hearing isn't what it used to be, but he could manage.

Sir, Pope Gregory is doing well, from what we hear, although it has been a while since a letter has reached the Blessed City, and we are beginning to worry that he has already been martyred. As for the trade with Muslims, what is, is. You shall have the Holy Father's word that the rulling held by his predecessors of blessed memory shall remain intacked. A trade agreement sounds intriguing. What did you have in mind?

osstarfall.JPG

Blaz of House Gozze-Gucetic

Blaz looked pleased for a moment and then looked tired....

Blaz Excellent, Father. I will include "Privilegium navigationis ad partes Orientis" for the duration of the trade agreement. As for the trade agreement, Our realms guarantee that trade between the two realms will be open for each other. Our realms agree to guarantee rights of passage to each other’s merchants to smooth the progress of the trade. Our realms ensure one another that there will be no embargoes between both realms. Also, our realms shall not banish merchants from each other realm, unless they are proven to be criminals by the laws of the realm that they are staying in. our realms has the right to construct and maintain merchant houses, warehouses as well as accommodations for its own merchants in the cities. Our realms promises to protect each others’ shipping and all other means of trade. As well as swearing to neither support nor fund acts of piracy or raiding against each other. Since our ships also carry spices and other goods from far off East which got great demands in all of the worlds, It is possible that we can provide all the goods we sell at 5% cheaper than other nations if Naples is willing to grant our merchants monopoly over spice and silks. Is this possible? All these can be worked out in the end naturally.

He looked at the envoy curiously.

A letter from Sweden arrives, written in latin.

Anno Domini 1383
PatriarchsCross.jpg

Unto His Holiness Papa Urbanus Sextus, Universal Father of the True Church, Pontifex Maximus, Servus Servorum Dei, Bishop of Rome, Holy Father, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Chief of the Apostles, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province & Vicar of the Son of God et cetera, et cetera.

Gloria in altissimis Deo et in terra pax hominibus bonae voluntatis!

Holy Father, please excuse me for the late hour in which I write this letter. You surely know the state of which the church of Sweden is in that I told you about in my previous letter, and although your gifts has been much appreciated there is still a lot of work to be done. I am however sure that Our Father and his highest servant on Earth, your Holiness, appreciate what I do and in the name of the Son, the Father and the Holy Ghost I do what I have to do with joy in my heart for I know that what I do is done in His name and in the interest of His servants in the archdiocese of Sweden. Thus, I cannot possibly be dissatisfied by the work He has lain upon me, isn't that so your Holiness?

Holy Father, it has come to my attention that one of the worst abscesses on the body of the church was one of the closest servants of Birger Gregersson, may his name be damned for eternity. Bishop Petrus Xtianus, Peter Kristiansson, has like Judas betrayed Jesus violated your Holiness and your church's trust by misusing his high office to exercise heretic practices within the very walls of the second most majestic cathedral in the archdiocese of Sweden. Only God knows how many of His houses in Västergötland Peter has soiled, but such offences cannot be unpunished.

Holy Father, It was in Stockholm where I had the relevation that the bishop was a false man, and when he did not show up at the royal council called by his Majesty the king of Sweden I knew that it was true. I then put all the church's resources I could spare to find this man, and when we finally found him he was hiding in a parish church with a monk with unknown identity like a simple thief. The fact that he was indeed inside the church practicing heresy disgusts me greatly, and I can assure you that he will get the proper punishment for his sinful acts.

Holy Father, this is why I now again wish to ask you for councelling and that your prayors will again be turned to Sweden for we are indeed going through a tough time. The heresy of Peter Kristiansson must of course be punished by death for in the Holy Scriptures Judas dies after betraying Jesus to the Romans. I believe that the death must be painful for his sins are great, and although his immortal soul will suffer immensely in hell I also think that his body must be put to pain, so that his successors will think twice before they repeat his despisable actions. Remember that he was your servant and that he has betrayed your church and thereby your holiness personally by such acts.

Thank you for all you do for Sweden, and please let us all make up for our sins, and let us also reenter the path of the faithful.

Signed and sealed by his own hand in Stockholm,

Pax Vobiscum,

Henricus Caroli, Episcopus Ubsaliensis, Prima Suecia