• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cleeque

Private
Nov 5, 2016
SHIRE COURT OF THE HEOTHERINGS OF LINCOLN
AT LIN DOMAERN

75ae9d510e84d0635a475db867b995da.jpg

One part the Manor, built upon the Roman fortification on the hill overlooking the Brayford Pool

495 A.D., Europa is in peril. The fall of the Roman Empire has left it's people vulnerable, weak - incapable of defending their vast wealth and riches on their own. In Brittanica, the Pro-Roman (Romano-) Britons are being encroached upon by the old Celtic enemy to the North and West. It is in this year, that, upon the behest of a local governor from what is today and what was then the outpost Ratae Corieltauvorum, that contact is made with one of the fierce Germanic Saxon tribes from the Mainland. The deal is such - the Saxon tribe will serve and protect the local Romano-Briton rulers from both Pictish tribes as well as their fellow Briton rivals, and, in their turn, the Saxons would be allowed to settle, farm, and live on the British land.

For a good half century, the arrangement worked. The Britons got their end of the deal, and the Saxons found a new home. However, as more and more of the Saxons started to come in, they easily outnumbered the sparsely-populous natives, and became ever stronger. The Britons may have underestimated the barbarians they have invited into their home. It is around the 6th century A.D. that they started to grow uncontrollable, and slowly encroach on the Britons.

The same was true for the tribe from Leicester. Around 610 A.D., records show that the Saxons, in the Germanic spirit, came into the Briton's villa and slaughtered him and his family, for a simple thing such as insulting his favorite wife. The nearby Britons as well as the other Saxon, Angle, and Jute tribes in their service would not simply let such a thing slide. Having amassed a small army and fought battle with their rebelling vassals, according to the earliest Christian chronicles, in the middle of a frozen lake. The Saxons, though outnumbering the Britons 2:1, sought to seek battle on the lake. However, the canny Briton commander merely surrounded them and waited for them to charge. The Saxons were heavy people that were heavily armed - their numerical superiority would not help the ice remain solid. As they charged gloriously at the enemy, the ice cracked. Every single one of them drowned, or was shot by a primitive Briton arrow from the shore.

Outside the villa, the Saxon women and children camped waiting for their husbands, sons, and fathers. Little did they know that they would not return. The son of one man prominent in the rebellious Saxon tribes, Heotheric, would be, thanks to his youth, refused the privilege of going to battle. He would not have it, and went anyway, although late. This late arrival, did, potentially, save his life. Witnessing the slaughter on the winter lake, he rushed back to the encampment as fast as his legs could carry him. Albeit, it was too late. An enemy raiding detachment had rode in, slashing and burning whatever they set their eyes on, alive or not. Though his instincts called him into final battle, the refugees he witnessed running from the carnage changed his mind. Being the only man fit to lead the dozen or so Saxons remaining, he found them in the hills and lead them on a journey.

This journey, marked with cold and hazard, brought the remaining tribesmen to the thriving Roman fort-town, Lindum Colonia. Built upon an Iron Age Iceni settlement, it was located in North-East England placed upon a pool, a hill, and a river. Converted into a home for Roman veterans, it became a major settlement in the region. In the years to come, Heotheric's company would grow. Saxons joined him for his quickly developing charisma, strength, and intellect - the refugees started living decently again. After 25 years, in the footsteps of his tribe, he lead the Saxons to overthrow the local Roman overlords, this time succesfully. He declared himself Jarl, later Earl, of anglified Lindocolina, later Lincylene.

Him and his descendants would rule there for almost a century, founding the bloodline Heothering. This bloodline has, before and since their swear-of-fealty to the Bretwalda, become wealthy, powerful, and ambitious, perhaps even seeking to turn Lincoln into a capital for all of England if not Brittania.

berlin-bear.png

Last edited:
CHARACTERS

KdHcVQ9.png

Earl EADWIG Heothering af Lincoln (45)
His Grace, Earl of Lincoln (Lyncylene), Ealdorman of Lindsey (Linnuis)
Earl Lincoln (Lyncylene)

+/++/--/+/-
Traits: Disintrested - doesn't want to rule.

Currenly In: Lincoln

UB2NiP3.png

HEREWEALD Heothering (25)
Only son of EADWIG, Heir to Earl and Ealderman -dom. Caegheord (literally - keykeeper) of Lincoln (Lyncylene)
Lord Hereweald Heothering

-/+/+++/-/+

Traits: Learned - scholarly, well-read

WLHK0J4.png

Lady ÆLFÞRYÐ Heothering(26)
Her Grace, Countess of Lincoln (Lyncylene) , Lady Lindsey
Lady Lincoln (Lyncylene)

Nrzxhft.png

ÆLFFLÆD (41)
(Former) lover of EADWIG, Biological Mother of HEREWEALD, Local Noble
Lady Athelsting
Currenly In: Lincolnshire

yMkV4lg.png

OSWALD Heothering (37)
Housecarl (Hæscorl), Brother of EADWIG, Uncle of HEREWEALD
(Lord) Oswald Heothering
Currenly In: Lincolnshire

(More to follow)

Last edited:
LYNCYLENE

as_porchester_castle_recon_c10.jpg

View of the more in-tact parts of Lincoln's Roman fortifications

The first known settlement in Lincoln, dating back to the first century BC, was around the Brayford Waterfront area, giving the place its original name Lindon: “Lindo” translating as “The Pool” in the Celtic language.

Timber houses and pottery have been found dating back to that time on the east of the pool, marking that, throughout the years, all different inhabitants of Britain have come and called Lindon their home - the Iceni, Brigantes, Corvetii are all known to have lived in the settlement.

It was the Romans who first settled in Lincoln, around AD 50, and built a large wooden fortress at the top of the hill, later turned into a colonia (retiring home for soldiers. Lindon was latinised to become Lindum Colonia) that was equal to London (Londinium) in it's size and importance. The now Saxon city of Lyncylene stil greatly bears the Roman legacy - the city is based around the aquaducts, roads, and other crucial infrastructure built by the legendary Roman Engineers. Likewise, the people of Lincoln, can, thanks to these same Romans, enjoy the warmth of bath houses, protection of sturdy city walls, and clean water from deep Roman wells.

The city, too, is topographically diverse. Based inside a valley of the Lincoln cliff, it has an uphill and a downhill area. The uphill (uptown - similair to the greek Acropoli.) features the great Roman fortifications, bath-houses, as well as the residences of the Earl and other Lyncling nobility. The down-town, on the other hand, is visibly more ' Saxon '. Abodes that could just as well be called huts, gardens, markets, wooden churches are quite densly packed into the lush city area. The downtown is around 20 metres above sea-level, whereas the uptown is about 70-80 above the waterfront.

The settlement sprung out from the waterfront on the Brayford pool between the inclines. The River Witham flows into that pool, and makes the conditions inside and around the settlement ripe for agricultural cultivation. Certainly, Lincoln has the historical and geographical means to be a city equal to the metropoli of York, Winchester, and London - now it is up to the earls and rulers to make it one.

Last edited:
POST RESERVED
Have some artwork while you wait.

anglo-saxon-village-hampshire-archaeology.jpg

A village in Lincolnshire

7c26e5b1d6594a975e51b9bcb2a180dc.jpg

Here, an artwork made by a monk depicting the history of house Heothering. The Saxon tribesmen, revolting against their
Romano-Briton employers, drown and are arrowed to death while surrounded on a frozen lake in mid January

Last edited:
berlin-bear.png

THE BEDS ARE MADE, THE SHEETS ARE WARM, AND THE MEAD FLOWS GENEROUSLY - THE HEOTHERING VILLA AT LIN DOMAERN IS DECLARED OPEN TO VISITORS.

scene%2019.jpg

Court at Lin Domaern
Truly, a British miracle – the sun was shining bright outside, the month of April was displayed in all its breathtaking beauty. As was the opinion of Earl Eadwig, it is nearly a crime to sit inside when the weather outside is so heavenly. Was he, Earl Eadwig of Lincoln, a criminal. As it turns out, he was.

It was Monday, not by far his favorite day of the week; for, in contrast to the fun and feasting of Sunday afternoon, Monday was a working day for the Earl. For the next six days, he would have to spend the entire morning bolted upon his earl’s chair, listening to the complaints of commoners, and, even worse, the academic drivel of his advisors. As absurd as it may seem, the man truly hated ruling.

He had woken up around half an hour ago, and had subsequently spend this half hour rolling around in bed, pretending to be asleep. Lady Lincoln, in all her cunning, of course, knew he wasn’t sleeping, though, it seems, rather than encouraging him to get up she didn’t bother and pretend to sleep as well.

Three knocks on the door, it creaks open. Who is it, wondered Eadwig – I’ll have ‘em whipped. The door-boy, of course. Eadwig was astonished at his boldness.

“The raeve hath arrived, m’lord.” He said, in his still developing, teenage voice. He was about to exclaim his dissatisfaction, when his wife got up. He looked as if he’d been betrayed.

“We’ll be right there, Alfred.” She smiled, her voice like music to the Earl’s ear.

=====

No, he couldn’t bear it. He just wasn’t made to be a lord. God must’ve made an error, somewhere in the administration, it should’ve been his brother, Oswald. God, why must all always fall to the eldest son.

“ Your Grace, the Brayford pool’s been drying out. The peasants expect relief.”

“ Are we gonna give any? “ Eadwig asked, as if the Bishop was the Earl.

“ Not if you want good meat for the Sunday mead-hall feast. “ He replied, proud as a rooster for being lended the trust of the Earl.

“ Then shut ‘em up and execute the whiners. “ The Earl wasn’t a cruel man, he just wasn’t in a benevolent mood.

“ You men of god, it’d be much rather to constrait yourself to theology. “ It was his insolent son, Hereweald. The Witan raised an eyebrow. “ We do not lend a few pfennigs to the peasants, the pool keeps drying up, next we know we have a hundred families starving and unemployed, plus some fancy unterkonungs who wait out and buy out all the other land. No, that shall not do. Provide relief aid, but make sure they repay it as a debt with a smaller interest.”

“ I’m sure his Holiness knows what he is doing, son, I shall not tolerate your insolence. “ Hereweald seemed unfazed. “You are excused.” He said, in his Earl authority.

=====

The standoff continued for days. Hereweald acted as if he was earl, bishop, and raeve combined - and yet, he was Eadwig's son, and nothing more. And yet, the Earl knew - he was not fit to rule. Under him, Lincoln had declined. He didnt have the tact for it - and he hated it more than anything. His son though, he was earl by blessing. It was true. On the night of Thursday to Friday - he silently, quietly left with a small retinue of warriors, two servants, and a couple supply wagons. He would ride to the King, and join his retinue.

A letter, left upon a table back in the Villa. He sought not to tell his people.

Earl Eadwig to Lady Aelfryth, his sweetest and most amiable wife, to his dear, most gifted son, beloved Hereweald, and to his witan council,

I have decided to, along with a small retinue, depart for the King's Household. I am not made for stewardship, you all know that more than anyone - I feel confident in leaving the realm in the hands of my advisors.

Instead, I seek the company of the King - I wish to fight what battles need to be fought, I wish to see the capital, to travel over England with it's ruler, representing my shiredom to the Kingdom personally. Therefore, I shall depart for the royal court immediately.

Consequently, my beloved son Hereweald - I hereby name you keykeeper of Lincoln - I leave the Shiredom in your most capable hands. I shall return, perhaps in a year, let's say, and in the meantime, look carefully after our people - I shall write to you in letters, do not fear.

Fare thee well.
Lincoln

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-27_21-2-50.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-27_21-2-50.jpeg
    14,2 KB · Views: 14
  • upload_2017-12-27_21-3-21.jpeg
    upload_2017-12-27_21-3-21.jpeg
    14,2 KB · Views: 14
A messenger comes, caring a letter to the Earl, asking for audience and trying to behave in respectful and civilzed behaviour. The letter is bilingual, with having text in Silesian and direct translation into English. The messenger patiently asks for someone being responsible at court of the Earl to take this letter and read it patiently.
Do Pana na Lincolnie i jego szlochetnyj familii,
Jo żech szrajbnoł tyn list, aby przesłać wyrazy uznania i szacunku dla familii Heotheringów za przysłano pomoc w walce ze Szkotami i Piktami. Jo żech życza sukcesów familii Heotheringów w zarzundzaniu ludym Lincolnu i rozwoju tygoż. Jystym bardzo wdzinczny za pomoc przysłano przeciw Piktom, jednak jo żech chcioł prosić szlochetnych wojów Heotheringów i samo familia, aby ci nie byli zbyt okrutni wobec tych Piktów i Szkotów z prostej przyczyny: zależy mi, żeby tyn najozd był łostatni, i żeby Angliki se ze Szkotami i Piktami jakoś polubili. To żech wymaga zmian w stosunku do na przykład szkockich jińców i zaniechania napadów odwetowych. Jo żych chcioł prosić szlochytnych Heotheringów, ażyby jińcy szkoccy byli przykozywani nom i traktowani z szacunkiem, z tygoż wzglyndu, że jo żech chca se upywnić, kaj Pikty i Angliki i Szkotym naucom się, że sunsiod ni jest aż tak zły.
Z szacunkiem,
Adrian z Pszczyny, Pan na Berwicku
_______________________________________________________________________________________
To the Earl of Lincoln and his noble family,
I have written this letter to send signs of gratitude and respect for family Heotherings for sent help for fight with Scots and Picts. I wish you successes family Heotherings in management of people of Lincoln and development of it. I'm really thankful for sent help against Picts, yet I want to ask noble wariors of Heotherings and the family to not be so cruel towards those Picts and Scots, because of simply reason: I want to make sure that this invasion will be last one, and that Englishmen find common words with Scots and Picts and will try to tolerate each other. This requires changes towards for example treatmen of Scottish captives and abandonnement of counter attacks on Scottish territory. I want to ask noble Heotherings to give ous every captured Scots and treat them with respect, just because I want to make sure, that both Picts, Scots and English make sure to each other, that neighbours aren't that bad.
With best regards and will of respect:
Adrian of Pless, Earl of Berwick