• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Amadeus bowed graciously before the Duke, but was a bit confused by the reception. He was after all a close neighbour, and even more, he was married to the Ducal daughter, Bonne, who was presently at home in Chambery. Nevertheless he did not allow his consternation show on his face,

“Your Grace, noble Duke, I report to you from Savoy, form Chambery, home of the Count Amadeus of Savoy, the sixth of that name, my father, that the illness he contracted in Naples is worsening, he may not last many weeks.”

The sentences were delivered with a monotony that told volumes on the effect it had on the young man,

“It is the will of the Count, my father, that I am to receive his throne and lands after him when he passes unto God, however, he has sent me away from his dead bed, so that I may remember as he was, a noble and valiant knight, and so that I may ensure the friendship of alliances of his old friends for our County the day I take the reigns.”

He smiled sadly,

“It is my wish, noble Duke, to continue on the path of my father, to maintain a cordial and strong tie with your family, the family of my wife, if ever it pleases your grace.”

Amadeus received the news in the court of his wife’s father. Slowly he read the letter from the Cardinal again, until he was certain that there could be no mistakes. He sighed, he was now the new count of Savoy. No need for rituals, it appeared that no one would contest his rule, and his mother and wife could easily administer until he returned.

He looked out across the lands, pleasantly arrayed before his windows in the palace. His father had been right, there were markers to call upon, and debts and vengeance to settle. However, the Cardinal had urged caution, and Amadeus tended to agree, until he had ensured the support of both family and friends to his plans he would have to bide his time.

He strolled towards the main court of his father in law and asked kindly for a moment with the Duke,

“Your Grace, I bring sad news, my father has died, and I will soon leave your beautiful court to travel to Paris and Avignon to ensure support and pledge my support, like my father before me. I trust that I can count on your loyal aid in these so trying times for your daughter and myself?”

A sealed letter from Louis, Duke of Anjou, comes to the hands of Jean de Valois.