Councilors that don't like you should use their positions to sabotage you.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Ostermex

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Apr 6, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
It's an unwritten rule that in both CK2 and in CK3, you never want a vassal/courtier that has a really negative opinion to be your spymaster, as that is just asking to be killed.

But why only Spymaster?

Why shouldn't my brother, with claims on my lands, who I appointed as my Marshal try to use his position to try to weaken my army?
Why shouldn't a Chancellor try to actively sabotage my relationships with my Vassals?
Etc.

This could be done via events, where just like in regular events, if you have certain traits/high stats, you could avoid a really negative modifier in favor of a lighter one, get no negative effect, or maybe even get something positive.

Now, I know you will say that these events already exist. We have good Councilor events, and negative events (although you just get the modifiers, no choices involved). But those are associated with the Councilor's stats, not with their Opinion of you.

This would be a third set of events specifically for vassals that have a highly negative opinion of you.

• 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Okay but we should get a reason to punish councillors caught on going against their liege. Off to the dungeon your ass goes, you ungrateful thorn in the side!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Okay but we should get a reason to punish councillors caught on going against their liege. Off to the dungeon your ass goes, you ungrateful thorn in the side!
Oh, absolutely.
I imagine it something like, your councilor who really dislikes you, gets an event to undermine you, and that event would be a skill check.
A Marshal with 20+ Martial who hates me will have a much easier time screwing me over, while a guy with like 5 Martial would get a bad outcome, with let's say, reasons for Imprisonment

• 3Like
Reactions:
I have always asked here for more ways for the councilors to abuse office. Some unique counciliors-liege plots would be welcome.
For starters, all councilors should have the opportunity to go corrupt and divert the realm money to their pockets.

Perhaps they are saving the "bureaucrats screw you over" to a Byzantine DLC.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I wonder if there would be ways to undermine the ruler without destabilizing the realm. I can imagine people who have absolute hatred toward the ruler but love the realm, or even have ambitions to take the realm over. It wouldn't make sense for those to actually sabotage the realm, though annoying the ruler would still make sense.

• 6Like
Reactions:
I wonder if there would be ways to undermine the ruler without destabilizing the realm. I can imagine people who have absolute hatred toward the ruler but love the realm, or even have ambitions to take the realm over. It wouldn't make sense for those to actually sabotage the realm, though annoying the ruler would still make sense.
That'd be really cool, actually
The only issue is that Rulers are extremely connected to the Realm in CK3, so destabilizing the Ruler, you destabilize the Realm as well. But I'm sure the guys coding this game, could figure out how to put something like that in

To add further nuance to who would sabotage the liege, AI that is more vengeful and to a lesser degree energetic should be more likely to do so, while higher honor and compassion should make it less likely. Zeal would make it less likely given shared religion or if the liege's religion is viewed as righteous, but if it's astray it should have no impact and zeal would make sabotage more likely if the liege's religion is hostile or evil.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If we are talking about advisers, then I have always been surprised that my advisers spy, after helping me in a lot of intrigues, does not start blackmailing me? In theory, he should know better than others about my dirty deeds and keep me on the hook.

• 2Like
Reactions: