• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

frlias

Recruit
1 Badges
May 11, 2014
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
Hello. Warlock 2 is an excellent game, but I have been running into an issue where game saves stop working intermittently. I did some research and found that the game seems to stop creating the .logic file even though it creates the .info and .client.2 files in the saves directory.

I have been able to make it through a couple games by carefully watching when the saves become corrupt and reloading one of the previous saves that has a .logic file and moving forward with the game from there. The problem has gotten worse lately though so after numerous reboots and failed game loads I uninstalled/re-installed the game and verified that all of the previous files were gone. The problem still remains though. In fact, what I have found today is that even if a game is loaded from a save or autosave that has a .logic file, the next save I make usually doesn't create a .logic file (and is therefore unusable). I initially thought it might have something to do with Steam cloud saves, but I turned that feature off before the application re-install and verified it was still off. This has occurring on each of several games I have started since the game was released. Also, I am running Win 7 64-bit and the application is the Great Mage Edition.

I would like to keep playing but I'm spending more time loading and replaying previous turn than I am moving forward turns so I am hoping there might be a fix or suggestion.

Thanks for any help/fixes.

Just to check since we haven't been able to reproduce this: Are you using any mods at all? Does it happen regardless of game mode/setup? And could you please post your DxDiag?

Thanks for the response.

FYI: I did a little more troubleshooting when I got some more time and found that the issue only occurs in one local profile on the PC. I started poking around in the app logs to see if I could come up with anything else and found that the log indicated that the bad save game files were not created. I really only have one good gaming PC to test on right now so I decided to switch to another local profile on the PC and the problem did not happen again. I tested for a couple hours while playing and I haven't had any issues yet. I thought I would pass what I found along to folks in case they ran across the same problem.

I'll do some more playing/testing tonight after work and if you would like any logs posted I'll be happy to help. The game is really fun and I think if the new features around the spell runes and relationships with the gods (among others) are more thoroughly fleshed out in future updates or expansions the game can get even better! For example, there could be bonuses for some tiles where in addition to their physical type (plains, lava, water) they could also be aligned somehow with the gods. Anyway, I'm getting off track here so please keep up the great work and keep making more expansions full of lots of new units, monsters and fun!

Hello again,

I did some more work on this and I think I may have found the source of the problem.

I believe that what was happening is that I was accumulating a ton of game saves and when I reached 1 GB of files in the save directory (which is the limit of the Steam Cloud backup) there was no more room for saves so although the game was stating that the game was saved, the .logic file was not being written to the drive.

I thought I had found a workaround previously by switching to another local user account, but that was just forcing the synch between my PC and the Steam Cloud. Once the files I had deleted locally synched to the Steam Cloud then the issue seemed to be resolved, at least until I hit 1 GB again. It does seem odd to me that a game that is running locally on my PC would be affected by a limitation of an offline backup.

I'm going to do some more testing, particularly after verifying that all Steam Cloud options are off and to watch the save game directory to make sure my .logic file are written, even after a GB of save data accumulates locally.

I realize that if I keep my games saves under 1 GB, I should not have this issue, but I wanted to let the devs and any other users with similar problems know what I found. Also, I would think that the devs would want to know that it looks like games are being saved when they are not so perhaps some sort of fix can be put in place. I think I had just as many saves when I was playing Warlock 1 and I never had any issues. Feel free to request any logs of more details around this issue if you like. I plan to post any more specific info around this as I continue playing and testing.

I had the exact same problem about two weeks ago, after some fiddling I landed at the same conclusion, too many savegames. After deleting some, it worked again

Fast forward to today, now I got the problem again, .logic-file is not being created (except autosaves, there it still works). This time around, I only have a handful of savegames in the folder. If I load a correctly working autosave and immediately save again, it is still corrupt and without the .logic-file.

I have updated to the latest patch already, just in case

EDIT: some more info, steam cloud sync disabled, running win7-64bit and own the regular steam edition

Just a quick update, now the error even happens when I start a totally new game....after setup without doing anything I save and the .logic file is not created.....so I can basically only play in "hardcore"-mode meaning I only ever have the autosave (which still works), bit annoying tbh

I usually save the game every turn ... so I can come back more than 2 turns with the autosave and find this problem of corrupted save game at the turn 184 ... so I open the save game directory and delete the first 100 turns save ... but when I launch the game STEAM start to sync and all the saves come back.

So I go to the STEAM game option and disable the Cloud Sync and launch the game ... but when I close the game and watch to the STEAM game option I find the Cloud Sync enabled again ... seem that there is no way to disable this setting ... the game turn it on when launched.

This is the problem ... if you don't have enough space in STEAM Cloud for a new save ... the .logic file is not created and the save game become corrupted ... I lost 10-15 turns of play yesterday for this bug.

Moreover ... the only way to continue play is to delete some of the save game in order to free STEAM Cloud space ... but the only way to do this is by deleting every save game with the ingame interface (that is really uncomfortable to use) and this is really tedious if you have to delete 150 save.

Some people also say that if you try to play the game in offline mode the game don't show all your saved game ... I don't try at the moment ... but coul'd happen in the future.

I don't need STEAM Cloud save because I use only one PC to play ... so let me able to disable this tedious setting once and for all :)

PS: Sorry for my bad english

Same here
I was enjoying the game very much, untill i happend to run into this poblem. After replaying one day of game 2 times, i gave up for a while. When i found the solution to mess with the cloudsaves,
, i used that method but could unf. no longer use my latest savegame (after putting it back into the correct place). Since it contained 2 weeks worth of playing, it has put me off.
I hope the holidays in Sweden are over by now, so the developers can get back to work and patch this. Please teach your game to not overwrite our steamcloud decisions and let us save at our hd´s.
And don´t let the game pretend to save, when all it does is putting a new timestamp at an old savegame, because the cloudspace is full.
Thank You.

Last edited:
It sounds like I have the same problem, but since this thread started in May, doesn't look like it's been fixed and/or this discussion has been abandoned.
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Warlock 2 Great mage edition

After 100 turns or so, the manual save games are no longer valid, but you don't know until you try to load one.
If you click on one, it says save game not found. If you then load another, even an auto-save, the screen goes blank and stays that way. The only recourse is to get out of the game, wait for it to sync to steam cloud (which takes quite a while), get back in (which also takes quite a while), and load an auto-save or a much earlier game.
Auto-save always seems to work so far, but if you screwed something up major and need to go back a few turns, you're screwed.
Getting the manual save process to work again requires a very tedious deleting (and confirming) of each individual old save game until there's enough room, I guess.

Never a problem on Warlock 1 - I have over 1000 hours on it, and never deleted a save.

I tried to disable the Steam Cloud Synch, to see if that helped, but it re-enables and automatically syncs every time you leave the game.
I don't play on multiple computers, why can't the save games go on my hard-drive so I can save as much as I want?
I have about 50 hours on the game, most of which is waiting for it to load.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that the issue is not abandoned. As mentioned above, it has been forwarded internally and is one of the things being looked at.

By "it", I do mean both issues - both the fact that the game doesn't warn you when you're over the limit for cloud saves, and the fact that you can't turn the cloud saves off/save locally.

I know this doesn't exactly help you right now, but please be patient - it will be fixed.

This thread is very old please don't necro thread by bumping them. If you want to continue the discussion please start a new thread.