Correcting incorrect or imprecise descriptions of abilities, spells, etc.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hiliadan

Major
Jun 17, 2018
This is a continuation of the old forum's thread: http://aow.triumph.net/forums/topic...precise-descriptions-of-abilities-spells-etc/

Some abilities, techs, etc. are either imprecise (e.g. Giants get +2 vision range on the surface but not UG but it’s not explicitly said) or could be considered wrong (Thunderstorm does not affect Lord of the Deep but it says only Undeads and Elementals are not affected; Toughness does not apply to Incorporeals).

I propose to list them here so that either the devs can correct them, or we’ll correct them in the Single Player & PBEM balance mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=661597466).
The mod already contains about 60 description updates (as of October 2018), listed here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eVOyD2rdiUb4PytVhaKT1rxNiWMquRAlnXw587VwBpg/edit

So please post the stuff not yet fixed and not yet reported in the thread from the old forum.

Interface.xml

Sage's Tent
EVENTS RACE_COMMAND_PICKUP
"{STR_race} gained {INT_experienceAmount} race governance experience."
-> "You gained {INT_experienceAmount} governance experience with {STR_race}."
Did Tigrans just gain XP, or you did?

Vassal cities
CITY INDEPENDENT_ALLIANCE_HELP
"it may also give you units of its own accord." -> "it may also give you gifts or units of its own accord."​
You can have gold instead of units (or is it only for dwellings?).

Build in another player's domain
TEXT IN_DOMAIN
"Cannot build this structure in a player's domain" -> "Cannot build this structure in another player's domain"

Resurgence in map creation

TEXT HERO_RESURGENCE_DESC
"(...) they will return from death at the end of a battle if their side wins." -> "(...) they will raise up at the end of a battle if their side wins, instead of dying or fleeing to the void."
In case Resurgence works on a leader (to be tested).

Migration
TEXT DISTANCE_TO_CITY
"Distance to {STR_race} City" -> "Distance to nearest {STR_race} City"
(in your empire)

Seafaring

POPUP RESEARCH_SEAFARING
"to move armies across water" -> "to move land armies across water"
(or terrestrial armies)

Trespassing

TRESPASS_ACTION HEADER_TEXT
"You visit the domain of" -> "You ??? the domain of"
Is visiting the same as trespassing in English?

Accessory or Jewel?

ITEM_TYPE JEWEL
"Jewel" -> "Accessory"
See inventory slot and make both consistent.

Spell type

SPELL_TYPE STRATEGIC_SPELL
"Strategic Spell" -> "Global Spell"
Consistency with SKILLPAGE GLOBAL_SKILLS.

Relay tooltips

ONLINE USER_RELAY_TOOLTIP
missing '.'
ONLINE SERVER_RELAY_TOOLTIP
missing '.'

Loading tips

TEXT LOADINGSCREEN_TIP_15
"the unit will become yours permanently." -> "the unit will become yours permanently but will cost a little more to sustain.

Last edited:
Abilities.xml

ABILITY_GROUPS PIKEMAN_DESCRIPTION
"Pikemen are very effective against Mounted units." -> "Pikemen are very effective against Mounted and Flying units."​

ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS MARINER_DESCRIPTION
"subject to the {embarkedDefensePenalty} and {embarkedResistancePenalty} embark penalty."
-> "subject to the {embarkedDefensePenalty}, {embarkedResistancePenalty}, and {embarkedVisionRangePenalty} vision range embark penalties."​
(to be tested)

ACTIVE_ABILITY_RANGED FIRE_BLUNDERBUSS_DESCRIPTION
"Fires a spray of lead pellets at target enemy unit." -> "Fires a spray of lead pellets that deals damage to all units and objects caught in the attack."
See other breath weapons descriptions.

BREATH_WEAPON WEAKEN_BREATH_DESCRIPTION
"Breathes [blight/] gas onto an area in the battlefield that damages units and objects. Units caught in the attack have a chance to be Weakened ({weakenedStrength}).(...)"
-> "Breathes a cloud of gas that deals damage to all units and objects caught in the attack. Moreover, units caught in the attack have a chance to be Weakened ({weakenedStrength}).(...)"
Consistency with other breath attacks descriptions. See e.g.
BREATH_WEAPON GAS_BREATH_DESCRIPTION "Breathes a cloud of gas that deals damage to all units and objects caught in the attack."
Alternatively, classical breath attacks could use their damage type icon:
"Breathes a cloud of fire that deals damage to all (...)" -> "Breathes a cloud of fire that deals [fire/] damage to all (...)", etc
and "Breathes a cloud of gas that deals [blight/] damage to all (...)"!

UPGRADE SLIP_AWAY_NAME
Polish string suspectful? Please check. (Or did I copy/paste something in my files?)​

ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS INFLICT_FROST_PARALYSIS_DESCRIPTION
DEFENSE_ABILITY FROST_AURA_DESCRIPTION
STATUS_EFFECT FROZEN_DESCRIPTION
ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH FREEZING_TOUCH_DESCRIPTION
"for 2 [turn+/] and resist [frost+/] and [fire+/] damage." -> "and gain a +40 % [frost+/] and +40 % [fire+/] protection for 2 [turn+/] ."​
No figure is given and only icons are displayed. Formulation should be reviewed to make it consistent with other resistance inducing abilities.
See ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS INFLICT_SHOCKING_DESCRIPTION.

ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH WEAKENING_TOUCH_NAME "Weakening"
ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH WEAKENING_TOUCH_DESCRIPTION
Just listed for the info: it's now a ranged attack (Goblin Blight Doctor's), so let it as it is. Isn't there any on-touch weakening ability, though?

DEFENSE_ABILITY RESURRECT_DESCRIPTION
"When the unit dies in combat, it is resurged"​
This line doesn't seem to be displayed when a unit benefits from the same name spell. I get Theocrat's spell's description instead:
REBIRTH DESCRIPTION "Bestows Resurgence upon target friendly unit. When a unit with resurgence dies, it is resurged"
So, it's more about a bug than a text correction.

ACTIVE_ABILITY_RANGED DIVINE_VENGEANCE_DESCRIPTION​
Damage missing.

STATUS_EFFECT STEADFAST_DESCRIPTION
"This unit's Hit Points" -> "This unit's [hp/]"

UPGRADE EVOLVE_DESCRIPTION "When this unit reaches gold medal rank it evolves."
UPGRADE EVOLVE_DESCRIPTION_UNIT_LIST
"Evolves into:" -> "[br/]Evolves into:"
Both lines are without a line break; depending on the language and resolution?, it hurts.

WEAKNESS CANNOT_REGEN_DESCRIPTION
"This unit doesn't regenerate [hp/]." -> "This unit doesn't regenerate [hp/] naturally."

ABILITY_GROUPS ELEMENTAL_NAME
"Elementals" -> "Elemental"
Consistency with Human/Dwarf/Fey/Animal/...

ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH ABSORB_PAIN_DESCRIPTION
"This effect lasts until end of combat." -> insert "Just after the linking, the unit enters guard mode."​

DEFENSE_ABILITY RESURRECT_DESCRIPTION
"When the unit dies in combat (...) it is resurged at the end of combat if its owner is victorious"
-> "When the unit fall in combat (...) it is resurged at the end of combat if its owner is victorious, instead of dying or fleeing into the void"
Should Resurrect affect a leader. See Resurgence in Interface.xml above.

ACTIVE_ABILITY_MELEE DEFENSIVE_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION
"A powerful attack that" -> "A powerful melee attack that"

ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH AWAKEN_SPIRIT_DESCRIPTION
"Target friendly animal gains (...)" -> "Target friendly animal's level of consciousness heightens, granting it (...)"
There was no explanation for what an awaken spirit is.

Last edited:
Abilities_DLC2.xml

ACTIVE_ABILITY_TOUCH NOURISHING_MEAL_DESCRIPTION
Format the description (out of combat) the same as other healing abilities?

STATUS_EFFECT DETERIORATED_DESCRIPTION
"This unit suffers a {deterioratedStrengthPenalty} strength" -> "This unit suffers a {deterioratedStrengthPenalty} strength penalty to each damage channel it deals for both melee and ranged attacks, and {deterioratedDefensePenatly} penalty"​
Mistakingly reported in the wrong forum. That's a -8 strength penalty. Please check consistency with other multi-chanel buffs/debuffs.

structures.xml

PRODUCTION_RESOURCES DESCRIPTION
"Produces a city upgrade in your nearest city." -> "Produces a city upgrade in your nearest city, be it at the surface level or underground."

Dwelling_Upgrades.xml

NECRO_CHAMBER_OF_THE_RITE DESCRIPTION​
Add new DLC races.

Dwellings_Upgrades_DLC3.xml

SEAGRASS_MEADOW DESCRIPTION​
Precise if bonus applies to garrisoned units or any allied unit in domain?

City_Upgrades_DLC2.xml

SPEC_BLOOD_ALTAR DESCRIPTION
Add a [pop/] icon.

City_Upgrades_DLC3.xml

EMBALMERS_GUILD DESCRIPTION
"All ghoul units produced in this city gain {embalmersguildUnitBonus} and {embalmersguildResistanceBonus} protection."
-> "All ghoul units produced in this city gain {embalmersguildResistanceBonus} and {embalmersguildUnitBonus} protection."​
(or the other way)
Both replacers have their value exchanged, leading to a display like: "All ghoul units produced in this city gain 40% [fire/] and +7 [hp/] protection."
Note that the bonus are correctly given to the units. Apparently, all the localizations are to be corrected as well.

GameConcepts_DLC3.xml

MANY_STARS DESCRIPTION
Typo (lastst). Is there really a night?

GREAT_WOLF DESCRIPTION
Typo (anounched).

RacialRelationsUpgrades.xml

DRACONIAN_ECONOMIC_4 UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION
"receives an extra medal." -> "receives an additional [medalIron/] Rank."
Consistency with each and every Master's Guild and T3 production buiding in CityUpgrades.xml (Machines or T1 & T2 units gain one rank),
and Balance mod's LocalBalance.xml ("All undead units produced in this city gain an additional [medalIron/] Rank.").

Quests.xml

BETRAYAL DESCRIPTION
"and we will assist you from within the gates." -> "and we will open the gates and assist you."
Considering that: 1/ Battle begins with all gates destroyed, and 2/ The allied armies appear even outside of the walls.

Last edited:
Skills_Avatar.xml

DISJUNCTION DESCRIPTION
"Destroys an enemy globally sustained spell or battlefield enchantment." -> "Attempt to destroy an enemy globally sustained spell or battlefield enchantment. In case of failure, the spell's integrity is halved." or "lessened"

Skills_Warlord.xml

HERO_SLAYING DESCRIPTION
"against Hero units" -> "against Hero and Leader units"

RAISE_MILITIA DESCRIPTION
"Instantly deploys an Irregular unit at target owned City" -> "Instantly deploys an Irregular unit at target owned City of same race as its population"
Even if an evidency.

Skills_ArchDruid.xml

WILDLIFE_REFUGE DESCRIPTION
"and Animal and Monster units require" -> "and non-summoned Animal and Monster units require"
Less gold instead of less mana if summoned.

FAVORED_ENEMY DESCRIPTION
"Ranged troops specialize in hunting Dragons, Giants, and Monsters." -> "Ranged troops specialize in hunting savage, non animal predators like Dragons, Giants, and Monsters"
". These units deal an additional {slayerDamageBonus} damage against Dragons, Giants, and Monsters." -> ", dealing {slayerDamageBonus} damage against them."
First one to add a little description, second one to remove duplicate listing.

Skills_Rogue.xml

ASSASSINS_OF_KINGS DESCRIPTION
"against Hero units" -> "against Hero and Leader units" ?

SADISM DESCRIPTION
Add that "The morale bonus is stackable." ?

SADISM EFFECT_DESCRIPTION
"This unit has a morale and melee strength bonus from the Sadism spell." -> "This unit enjoys the killing and gets a morale and melee strength bonus."
The source (Sadism) is displayed anyways. Also there could be an effect_name "Sadistic".

Skills_Secret.xml

GREAT_IMMOLATION DESCRIPTION​
Precise if it affects enemy units or any units.

Skills_ThisClass.xml (any: ArchDruid, Warlord, Rogue, ...)
e.g.
DRUIDRY DESCRIPTION
"allowing you" -> "allowing the Hero"​
Making it different from: DRUIDRY_LEADER DESCRIPTION "allowing you"

Last edited:
The info About Control Undead is complete crap:
34snxbr.jpg

I guess because of the (Lesser) Control Undead split.

For this one, I tried {controlUndeadDamage} to no result.

Skills_Archdruid.xml

CALL_BEAST_HORDE DESCRIPTION
"Summons random wild beasts at the start of every combat round"
-> "Summons a random wild beast at the start of every combat round"
One unit each round.

THORN_HEDGE_WALLS DESCRIPTION
add: "[br/][br/]Uncorporeal units are immune."
(see Entangle)

Skills_Theocrat.xml

HOLY_WAR DESCRIPTION
"Bestows all Devout units on the battlefield with a {holywarStrengthBonus} strength bonus." ->
"Bestows all Devout units on the battlefield with a {holywarStrengthBonus} strength melee bonus."
Also, is this only for allied Devout units or any Devout units?

SACRED_ARMS DESCRIPTION
"All units in the Hero's Army gain {sacredarmsSpiritStrength} strength."
-> "" ?

Skills_Dreadnought.xml

MANA_FUEL_CELLS DESCRIPTION
remove the empty line before the description text.

SUPPRESS_NATURE NAME
"Suppress Nature" -> "Insensitivity to Nature" (more meaningful?)

SUPPRESS_NATURE DESCRIPTION "Units and Cities don't suffer from terrain [happiness/] penalties."
-> "from terrain and climate" ?

PRODUCE_IRONCLAD DESCRIPTION "If Shipbuilding has been researched, units now also embark on Ironclads instead of Coasters or Frigates."
-> "If Advanced Seafaring has been researched, units now also embark on Ironclads instead of Galeons." (or Basic Seafaring and Frigates?)

FLASH_BANG DESCRIPTION
"Blinded units have a maximum attack range of {blindRange} hex."
->
"Blinded units cannot target units or objects more than {blindRange} Hex away with ranged abilities, and cannot cast spells."
(see effect status Blinded)

OVERLOAD DESCRIPTION
"target Machine" -> "target allied Machine"

Skills_Necromancer.xml

ENEMY_OF_FAITH DESCRIPTION "Your units gain Devout Slayer and Support Slayer."
-> Add "These units deal an additional {slayerDamageBonus} damage against zealous units."
(see any other Slayer skill) (also, change the skill's parameters.)

Skills_Sorcerer.xml

DOUBLE_GRAVITY DESCRIPTION
"(...)from flying over Walls." -> "(...)from flying over walls and obstacles."

Spec_Torchbearer.xml

SPIRITUAL_FREEDOM DESCRIPTION
remove the hyperlink from description: it's not ToW here (?).

Spec_Explorer.xml

SCOUT_TRAINING NAME Scout Training
cf Warlord's skill:
SCOUT NAME Produce Scout
Given that "production" can be translated by "training" (>>), or at least, that Scout is a specific Warlord's unit, I'd suggest to rewrite "Scout Training" into "Extended/Improved Scouting"

TRAIL_RUNNING DESCRIPTION
"Irregular units receive {trailrunningMovementBonus}. Units with Flying and Lesser Flying are not affected."
-> "" Do Lesser Flying units still receive a movement bonus on the strategic map? If not, remove the mention here.

EXPLORER NAME
"Explorer"
It's the same as the specialization's name: SPEC_EXPLORER NAME "Explorer"
Moreover, cities can hardly be qualified as "explorers".
-> "Lookouts" or "Explorer's Lookouts"

Spec_Expander.xml

SWIFT_MIGRATION DESCRIPTION
"The City Options Migrate and Purge are instantaneous."
-> adds "They take only one [turn/]."

EXPANDER NAME
"Expander"
It's the same as the specialization's name: SPEC_EXPANDER NAME "Expander"
-> "Development of Land" ("Industrialization" would be too ambiguous, as only farms and springs/wells are affected)

EXPANDER DESCRIPTION
"Farms and Springs of Life generate an additional {expanderPopulation} growth. [br/] Corrupted Farms and Corrupted Wells generate an additional {expanderDeadPopulation} growth."
-> "Structures related to demographic growth have a better output. Farms and Springs of Life generate an additional {expanderPopulation} Population.[br/]Corrupted Farms and Corrupted Wells generate an additional {expanderDeadPopulation} Dead Population."

Spec_Destruction.xml

HASTY_PLUNDER DESCRIPTION
"Enables the Hasty Plunder option in the City Options menu. Hasty Plunder allows you to quickly raze a city and gain loot as if it were plundered."
-> insert "(duration: 1 [turn/])"

Last edited:
Spec_Torchbearer.xml

GIFT_SHIELD_OF_LIGHT DESCRIPTION
"(...) the enemy unit receives {shieldoflightspiritDamage} damage and has a chance to become Dazed ({shieldoflightDazedStrength}). All enemy units gain {shieldoflightSpiritWeakness} Weakness."
-> What means "All enemy units"?
Shouldn't it be:
"(...) the enemy unit receives {shieldoflightspiritDamage} damage, suffer a {shieldoflightSpiritWeakness} Weakness, and has a chance to become Dazed ({shieldoflightDazedStrength})."
Moreover, I'd append this by:
"Dazed units cannot perform actions other than move and guard for {dazedTime}."

RacialRelationsUpgrades.xml

DWARF_MILITARY_3 UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION "giving all adjecent units"
-> typo (adjecent)
-> does it work like Inspired or only for Dwarf units? If so, replace by "giving all adjacent Dwarven/Dwarf units"

Accessory or Jewel?
ITEM_TYPE JEWEL
"Jewel" -> "Accessory"See inventory slot and make both consistent.

Spell type
SPELL_TYPE STRATEGIC_SPELL
"Strategic Spell" -> "Global Spell"Consistency with SKILLPAGE GLOBAL_SKILLS.

Relay tooltips
ONLINE USER_RELAY_TOOLTIP
missing '.'
ONLINE SERVER_RELAY_TOOLTIP
missing '.'

I think it's important to clarify that this thread is not about redoing the English localization of the game. We are not going to correct missing "." or consistency between Jewel and Accessory in the balance mod. Maybe 95% of the things you posted are not going to be corrected because it takes too much time and is not important. It's fine if you correct all this in the French localization but that's not going to happen in the English one.

What this thread is about is descriptions which are incorrect, e.g. say an ability gives -1 def but actually it gives -2 def. And also about imprecise descriptions that cause mistake by players or lacks key information necessary during the game (e.g. Giant have +2 vision range but not on the underground, or the valid targets for mind-control abilities).

So please open another post if you want to post things like missing ":" or "," at the wrong place, etc. I don't have the time to read through all your posts and that is going to slow down the update of the balance mod. As I said in the old forum, I already lacked time to read all the walls of texts posted by Gladis and you there. We really need to prioritize important things from very small details with no impact in game.

I think that if I remove typos and consistency, that's won't remove 95% of the list! What do you think about the difference between:
- flying above walls / flying above walls and obstacles
- benefiting all adjacent units / benefiting all adjacent Dwarf units

So, would the right criteria to discriminate be: "Any player having play with the game about two hours is able to understand the description." ?

About opening a new post, I'm done with all those files, anyways, (except for two of them, as you know) and the two last posts were caused by a refinement pass in French. What I can do is to strike all the unecessary reports, so that it will be easier to check if the others are worth the work or not. Please, consider this as a basket where you can take your interest out, not as a load of work to do.
[EDIT]I ended in removing two thirds of the reports. I hope this will help.[/EDIT]

Whatever, I believe that this additional work is not that important: I could do it myself in but a few hours, providing someone checks my English, because i took care to sort each report by file and line. Of course, if they are questions, they should be answered first.

No, the real and only concern, in my non-educated opinion, is the added loading time this may cause if all files are overrided when you launch the game. With all the mods I run, and all these unpacked, full xml files, I'm around 1 full minute between launcher and main menu. Perhaps, this would make some players frown. Not telling about the size of the mod, but the way I use the corrected files is certainly not the more efficient. I know that you would only recopy the relevant, corrected lines and add a descriptor file to tell the game what data is overrided by those new xml.

Last edited:
- flying above walls / flying above walls and obstacles
- benefiting all adjacent units / benefiting all adjacent Dwarf units

For me the first one is obvious. The second one is not. So the second one is worth correcting but not the first one. Of course it's subjective but I think the question must be: do a majority of players will assume things to work this way even if it's not properly written? If yes, then no need to correct.
"Any player having play with the game about two hours is able to understand the description." => yes more or less.

No, the real and only concern, in my non-educated opinion, is the added loading time this may cause if all files are overrided when you launch the game.
As far as I know, that does not cause extra loading time. What increases load time is the size of the overall mod and that's more linked to big .clb (visuals). Though maybe I underestimate the memory size of the text from all descriptions?

If you plan to do your own mod with improved English, yes that may be the only concern. But I'm focused on editing description on the balance mod, and then there is the concern that it takes me and Zaskow a lot of time to read and implement these description changes, and each of them can also cause BIG issues in the game (we had units disappearing, etc. once due to description not properly updated).

Campaign files asides (I don't know yet if I want to spend time with them, and it would be better if they are treated separately), all the touched files currently amount to 10 Mo, when uncompressed. Now, they are Excel files and the real size is dependant on how they are saved. Perhaps they could be made lighter. Sorting out only the lines that are changed would make the whole much lighter of course.

Skills_Necromancer

UNDYING_ARMY DESCRIPTION
"Bestows the Undying ability on all Undead units on the battlefield." -> "Bestows the Undying ability on all allied Undead units on the battlefield."

DESECRATION DESCRIPTION
"Devout units suffer (...) on all Undead units."
Although obvious, I'd add something like "both allies and enemies". (at least for Undead)

GameConcepts_DLC2.html

For the record, four entries weren't localized in French
SPEC_PARTISAN NAME
SPEC_PARTISAN DESCRIPTION
SPEC_WILDMAGIC NAME
SPEC_WILDMAGIC DESCRIPTION

[EDIT]I correct a wrongly written report hereafter[/EDIT]

There is two bugs with the mystical city upgrade list in the ToW (under Game Concepts):
CITY_SPECIALIZATIONS DESCRIPTION

1/ It doesn't list Blood Altar anymore in the list of mystical city upgrades (hyperlinks at the end of description). However, this upgrade is still available in game, providing you have a Ziggurat located inside your city's domain, and it grants your support units the Blood Sacrifice ability. Or is this feature to be removed from the game?

Note that Blood Altar has an entry in the ToW (under Locations).

2/ Although the Crypt of Unlife (another mystical city upgrade) has an entry in the ToW and is correctly linked in the said list, the names for the hyperlinks don't correspond in any language but Russian.
I read:
Shrine of Animation
Autel de la Vie (now corrected to Crypte d'outre-tombe)
Kapliczka Animacji
Schrein der Wiederbelebung
Святилище оживления

instead of the names found in City_Upgrades_DLC2.html:
SPEC_SHRINE_OF_ANIMATION NAME
Crypt of Unlife
Crypte d'outre-tombe
Kapliczka nie-życia
Krypta des Nichtlebens
Святилище оживления

(and pertaining to the valid ToW page)

I don't know the cause of this but Russian doesn't seem to have the updated name (according to Google Translate).

Last edited:
Abilities.xml

Compare:

ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS FROST_STRIKE_NAME Frost Strike
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS FROST_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION Deals an additional {froststrikeDamageBonus} damage with all attacks.

(and
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS PHYSICAL_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS BLIGHT_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS FIRE_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS SPIRIT_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION
ACTIVE_ABILITY_MODIFIERS SHOCK_STRIKE_DESCRIPTION

)
to:

UPGRADE FROST_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_NAME Frost Strength Upgrade
UPGRADE FROST_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION The unit's frost attacks deal {froststrengthupgradeDamageBonus} damage.

(and
UPGRADE FIRE_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION
UPGRADE SHOCK_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION
UPGRADE SHOCK_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION
UPGRADE BLIGHT_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION
UPGRADE SPIRIT_STRENGTH_UPGRADE_DESCRIPTION

)
(I didn't found any Physical Strength Upgrade)

X Strike' description is correct enough, even if the new opened damage channel is not made explicit. Both melee and ranged attacks are concerned.

Exemple below is for Fire Strike (translated as "Frappes de feu"; Draconian Apprentice under Dragon Legacy).

aow3_FireStrikeEffect.jpeg

X Stength Upgrade's description is not consistent enough with X Strike's description above, because given the phrasing, I would expect that:
- all attacks are concerned;
- only existing X attacks are concerned.
However, that's not the case:
- only melee attacks are concerned (at least the main Melee Strike);
- a new X damage channel is opened (the same as with X Strike).

Example below is for Frost Strength Upgrade granted by an item (translated as "Canalisation du gel" (Frost Channelling) because I was misled into thinking that a pre-existing Frost damage channel was needed and reinforced).

Item: aow3_channelFrostItem.jpeg Not equipped: aow3_channelFrostWithout.jpeg Equipped: aow3_channelFrostWith.jpeg

As you can see, no ranged attack is affected, and a new Frost channel is opened on the Melee Strike attack before the damage bonus (+1) is applied.

Suggestion:
Either this a bug (the ability doesn't work as expected) or this a fuzzy description (the ability works as expected).
In the later case, I'd suggest to correct all X Strength Upgrade Description as:
"The unit's frost attacks deal {froststrengthupgradeDamageBonus} damage."
->
"The unit's melee attacks deal an additionnal {froststrengthupgradeDamageBonus} damage."
(That is, copying X Strike description, save for melee restriction)

Skills_Warlord.xml

Warrior of the Phoenix (Warlord's resurgence)

{EDIT]I don't know what gives immunity to it. Perhaps it would be worth checking and adding a line in the description. I first thought it was the Giant tag, but now, I have Giants who can be resurged this way. It's not MCI, as Giants have it... perhaps a 100% Spirit resistance when another spell is first cast on them, or a leader with an ability is present? Or when a hero has resurgence on all his army (LOL)?
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Spec_Shadowborn.xml

EMBRACE_DARKNESS_UNITS NAME Embraced by Darkness
EMBRACE_DARKNESS_UNITS DESCRIPTION "All units produced in the target city are embraced by Darkness. They gain Life Stealing and are Dedicated to Evil (except Machine units)."

-> Obviously, this unit status' description is nearly a copy and paste of the spell's description (EMBRACE_DARKNESS NAME Embrace Darkness)
Suggestion: replace by
"This unit has embraced the Darkness. It gains Life Stealing and is Dedicated to Evil."

ENTWINED_BY_SHADOWS DESCRIPTION "All friendly Dedicated to Evil units gain {entwinedbyshadowsResistance}, {entwinedbyshadowsSpiritProtection} protection and {entwinedbyshadowsShockDamage} damage."
-> change the end "damage" by "melee damage".

Skills_Sorcerer.xml

STAR_BLADES NAME Star Blades
STAR_BLADES DESCRIPTION "Target friendly unit gains Inflict Shocking and {starbladesStrengthBonus} strength until the end of combat. Melee and ranged attacks from units with Inflict Shocking (...)"
->
"Target friendly unit gains Inflict Shocking and {starbladesStrengthBonus} melee strength until the end of combat. Melee and ranged attacks from units with Inflict Shocking (...)"

Only melee attack gains the damage bonus. Isn't this weird as the unit's Inflict Shocking is not restricted to melee attacks (as far as we read)?

Skills_Warlord.xml

BLOODBATH DESCRIPTION
Bestows {bloodbathStrengthBonus} strength on all friendly units.
->
Bestows {bloodbathStrengthBonus} melee strength on all friendly units.

Spec_Creation.xml

HOLY_CURE DESCRIPTION "Undead, Machine and Animated units can't be healed."

-> Could we elaborate? What is an Animated unit that is neither an Undead nor a Machine? Perhaps, it would make sense to exclude the units of magical origin instead/as well?

CONDEMN KILLING DESCRIPTION "Whenever a friendly unit is killed, its killer is cursed"

-> Could you check that, as opposed to the tooltip in the Excel file, the friendly unit has not to be devout? (It seems unlikely given my limited experience with this magic sphere)

GameConcepts_DLC3.xml

DEAD_CITY DESCRIPTION "(...)Living cities under Necromancer control receive a heavy happiness penalty, so it is in the interests of the Necromancer to transform them into dead cities as soon as possible. This can be done using the Ghoul City city operation, by Migrating the city or by razing the city and rebuilding it using the Reanimate Ruins spell."
-> append with: "The Ghoul City operation is also achieved when Absorbing newly conquered cities to your Empire."

RACE_FROSTLING DESCRIPTION
RACE_TIGRAN DESCRIPTION

Could you replace the replacers used for vulnerabilities and resistances and use only elemental icons instead? Having a '{fireIcon} Fire' value for a replacer doesn't help with localization and is not consistent with other factions (e.g Halfling's '+20%[physic/] Physical Weakness' where 'Physical is not included in the [physic/] replacer), even if it doesn't make any difference in English?

Also, the hyperlink is missing:
[br/][br/]See also: [hyperlink,GameConcept-0000015900000225]Races[/hyperlink].

Spec_Earth.xml

SLOW DESCRIPTION "Slowed units have their movement radius halved, and are unable to use attacks of opportunity or retaliate."
-> add "They do not lose any action point."
Don't they? It's the difference between Haste/Slow/Athletics and MP-reducing effects. No need to revise the Haste spell description, however.

A last one... and I don't know what file is concerned. The ToW's page about the Mermen Dwelling lacks two hyperlinks with icons to be consistent with all the other dwellings: it doesn't list Siren nor Mermaid in the list of producible units (whereas Lost Mariner, Lord of the Deep are).

Lesser Bard Skills, Imperial Authority, Chaplain, Paid Absolution give High Morale, which is not stackable.

Arcane Catalyst (MCU of Wizard Tower Ruins): Summons of allies don´t get supercharged.

Crypt of Unlife and Chant of Unlife are 2 different names for the same spell. This is totally unnecessary and leads to confusion.

Well of Souls:
Arch Angels, Dragons, Elementals, Incorporeals, Heroes and Leaders don´t get ghouled when drinking. Machines are unaffected.
There is often no proper info about the availability of the Well after one player has drunk from it. You need to stand on it to see when it is ready again.

/gladis

Last edited:
The Empire Quest (EQ) "Master Smith" leads to an extra 5 Research for the specific Arcane Item Forge. This should be added in the description of Master Smith.
Misses info about the strength of the received item (strong to mythical). Add: „This reward can be captured along with the city, except if it gets migrated or purged to another race.“

EQ Eternal City: „This reward can be captured along with the city, except if it gets migrated or purged to another race.“

EQ Imperial Residence misses the ingame entry about Palace of the Perished. Compare https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/Empire_Quests
„Be the first to build an Grand Palace or a Palace of the Perished...“ Reward: A Palace of the Perished will only generate an additional 10 CP. This reward can be captured along with the city, except if it gets migrated or purged to another race.“

EQ Heptatopia Bonus: Living and undead cities and Dwelllings under the control of a Necromancer player will receive +5% Gold, Mana, Knowledge and Production income instead (does not affect Undead Population Growth).

Undead City Bonus: Undead cities receive +15% Gold, Mana, Knowledge and Production income (does not affect Undead Population Growth).

Cathedral of Bones Bonus: Gives +10% Gold, Mana, Knowledge, Production and Undead Population Growth and lacks the Info “, +10%” in City Income list.

Bone Funeral Bonus: Gives +15% Gold, Mana, Knowledge, Production and Undead Population Growth and lacks the Info “, +15%” in City Income list.

Domain of Winter: +1 Range Damage on all damage channels.

Domain of Corruption/the Sun: +1 blight/fire for melee and range attacks.

Goblin Economic Prophet: Class specific buildings are 20 Gold cheaper and generate +10 Production. Additionally, all your Goblin cities get +10 Production, this also applies to Necromancer Players (bug?).

Sage Hut: Visiting units recieve Race Governance XP for the Player´s starting race.

Age of Death: 25% chance whether ALL killed living units return as Ghouls or not. Doesn´t work for fights in Treasure Structures. It doesn´t cancels Resurgance, but defeated (really killed) units with Resurgance can get ghouled as well.

Damnation: Works on Dwellings, too. Defenders in Treasue Structures are not affected.

Denounce City: Works on hostile Dwellings, too. Units from another hostile player and Roamers are not affected. The spell could be renamed in “Denounce Domain” as Dwellings can be targeted as well.

Armageddon: Independent units and roamers are not affected.

Spiritual Freedom, Embrace Darkness and Scales of Fortune: Work on Dwellings, too.

Ghouling Strike: Just like Assassin´s Strike: Performs an attack that can´t be retaliated against an target enemy unit.

Choking (Fumes): Elementals are not affected. Arch Angels, Fallen Angels and Chthonic Guardians are affected (I saw in Hili´s Excel sheet that they are listed as being unaffected, but they are affected).

Dominate: There is no timer shown after the unit got dominated. The description says it only lasts for 3 turns though.

Collect Bones: Cannot target corpses of Incorporeal units but can target corpses of Elemental Units.

Devour Corpse, Collect Bones, Healing Essence, Corpus Furia, Explosive Death, Explosive Ice Death, Void Implosion:
Don´t prevent Resurgence, which means that units with Resurgence which died and their bones got destroyed (Corpse disappears but is not transformed), will be alive after the battle is won. Same applies to Undying units, which be alive after the battle.
In combat, the destruction of the corpse means that any ability is prevented to be used on it (Great Reawakening or any transformation of the corpse).

Resurgence: If the corpse of the unit gets destroyed, it still returns to life after the battle is won.

Undying: If this unit falls in battle, it will return to life with 35% of it´s maximum HP after 2 turns or after the battle is won. If the corpse of the unit gets destroyed, it still returns to life after the battle is won. + See description of Resurgence: “Undying is prevented by abilities that transform corpses into other units, for instance Raise Corpse.”

Undying Army: Works only on allied units. Wrong in-combat description (3 turns instead of 2, see screenshot): http://i66.tinypic.com/35cg3gg.jpg
“All Undying units also have Resurgence”. This is misleading/not true as the units don´t come back if they were killed 2x in the combat. They still have the “Undying” status before getting killed for the 2nd time though. Maybe just delete this sentence.

Mark of Death: There is no entry in the Tome which describes “Marked for Death”. A unit gets this ability after it kills the unit which is affected by Mark of Death.

Mass Statis and Inflict Chilling: Elementals and Incorporeals are not affected.

Inflict Chilling: Elemental and Incorporeal units are not affected. Machine and Undead units are affected. This debuff can stack multiple times on the same unit - the timer for the stacked debuffs is set to 3 turns again.

Inflict Frostbite: Elemental, Incorporeal and Undead units are not affected. Machine units are affected.

Inflict Freezing Cold: Elemental and Incorporeal units are not affected.

Glacial Totem: Elementals and Incorporeal units can be affected although they are immune to Inflict Chilling. Missing the Strenght of the Chilling check (Frost?).

Dread Omen at Undead City: No -100 population malus but Undead units in the city´s domain get -500 Morale as well.

Network of Scrying Eyes: affects razed cities as well (Dwellings are not affected, so the description is correct in this case).

RG Draconian Deity Military: Only melee attack bonus.

Necromancer: Maybe make it more clear that the nearest city has no guarantee for the bonus: Undead Population Bonus for every killed unit affects one city BY CHANCE etc.

Domain of …: Work for Dwellings as well.

Terraforming: “Change the terrain in caster´s and Vassal´s domain…”

Wooden Fortress: Building an Outpost at the same location will stop the upgrading to a Stone Fortress – you receive the gold investment back.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2w5oihe.jpg
There are some descriptions missing (e. G. Domain of Corruption (Unit Abilities)).
And Domain of the Sun affects volcanic terrain as well.

Goblin Military Deity: +2 Blight Melee damage (no Ranged). Infantry, Irregulars and Pikemen also get +5 HP.

Some weird stuff:

Goblin Economic Patron: Lacking info about the origin of +5 Population in the City Income table (you have to rejoin the game to see it).

Goblin Economic Deity: Lacking info about the origin of +1 Production in the City Income table (you have to rejoin the game to see it).

/gladis

Last edited: