• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mad King James

Buzzkill Extraordinaire
66 Badges
Jan 18, 2002
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
While most cultures in the game period helpfully adhere to the Name Surname system that CK bases itself on, Arabs do not.

The proper "first name" form of Arabs is, for men:
%name% ibn %fathername%

for women:
%name% bint %fathername%

Then for surnames, if the surname is of the founder of the dynasty:
banu %founder%

or

al-%founder%i

for instance banu Qureish (of the tribe of Qureish) or al-Qureishi (the Qureishi).

Of course if you include this feature, you also have to include the same thing for the Nordic countries aswell

Of course if you include this feature, you also have to include the same thing for the Nordic countries aswell
Quite a few others as well I would think, Patronyms wern't exactly unusual.

Oh I know, I was just pointing out an obvious example ;). While it would be optimal and most historic, I just wouldn't want to tax the engine with what can be taken by some to be superfluous for lack of a better term.

Well you might get strange results if characters have a different culture then their father, assuming that this feature is still in CK2.

Then you will get things like this , 'Abdullah ibn Heinrich' or 'Heinrich ibn Abdullah'

Well you might get strange results if characters have a different culture then their father, assuming that this feature is still in CK2.

Then you will get things like this , 'Abdullah ibn Heinrich' or 'Heinrich ibn Abdullah'

Actually that's not as unusual as you might think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Qasi

Most famous example in Europe, a Basque Muslim dynasty.

It's true lots of other dynasties have their patronymics etc incorrectly.

For instance Llywelyn the Great of Wales should really be:

Llywelyn (his name) ab Iorwerth (his patronymic) Aberffraw (dynasty name)

Also, if there was culture change, necessary for his name to be Heinrich, you can code it so he's no longer 'ibn'. Instead, you can make it so that becomes, I dunno, "von whateverplaceburg", depending on where he owned, like people were actually known.

Also, if there was culture change, necessary for his name to be Heinrich, you can code it so he's no longer 'ibn'. Instead, you can make it so that becomes, I dunno, "von whateverplaceburg", depending on where he owned, like people were actually known.

There could be a more general familial description, such as "Robert of Inverness son of John of Fife" that would work for many cultures. It would lack linguistic details but sound sort of official, given that documents from the period would have been written in official languages, e.g., Latin, Greek, Turkish, or Arabic, not likely High German or English or Aragonese, etc.

That wouldn't qualify as "strange results" to me - it would qualify as awesome!

....especially if coupled with events that will occasionally fire for an entire dynasty changing its name if the head of the dynasty adheres to a different naming convention than the one that governed its forebears: "I am throwing off the shackles of outmoded linguistical conventions and bringing us kicking and screaming into the 12th century! From now on, my family, I'll be known as Heinrich Hotpants and you'll all be Hotpants together with me or I'll disinherit you."

Arabs should have formalised names just like everyone else does.

most cultures had last names that changed depending on who their father is or what he does or what their work is or what title they hold.

But Dynasty names are something that largely only exist when historians come to write about it. So it works not being accurate.

In Western Europe, there were several antroponymical fashions:

The "Central" fashion: Aymar de Sémur, Heinrich von Hohenstaufen, etc. There is a family coming from a certain castle or town, and the name gets stucked. It was common in France, Germany, Italy and Spain alike. Even though they took more important titles and duchies, their original name stood as the name of the family. The House of Lusignan became powerful, but it was still known as the House of Lusignan. The same for the Hohenstaufens, the Castillian House of Lara, the House of Châtillon... there are exceptions, of course.

The Spanish fashion was naming someone by his given name, then his father's name, then his family procedence. Thus we have "Pedro Fernández de Lara", whose father was Fernando López de Lara". Castillian tradition used the -ez as an evolution of Latin genitive -is, which sometimes indicates possession. The Catalan tradition was similar, but kept the names unaltered. "Ramon Borrell de Barcelona" was the son of Count Borrell, and his son was Berenguer Ramon, that is, "Berenguer son of Ramon". The tradition became weird when this Berenguer Ramon named his twin sons "Ramon Berenguer" and "Berenguer Ramon".

The Scandinavians didn't use to add any reference to the family, it was just the patronymic. Magnus Sverkersson, Halvdan Haraldsson, etc.
The Normans had a "latinized" version of that through the "Fitz-" patricle, meaning "son of". Thus, Robert of Chester, son of Eustace, was known as Robert FitzEustace. Henry II was known sometimes as Henry FitzEmpress (since his mother was Empress Maud).