Coronation Day Announced for Crusader Kings III

Coronation Day Announced for Crusader Kings III

• We will be taking the forums down for scheduled maintenance on 12 August 2020 at approximately 3PM CDT (8PM UTC / 10PM CEST), this downtime is currently estimated to last around 1 hour.
  • Pre order now!

Paradox Development Studio brings you the sequel to one of the most popular strategy games ever made! Crusader Kings III is soon upon us and you can pre order it today!

Releasing September 1st 2020

neutrondecay

Colonel
22 Badges
Oct 1, 2015
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
Don't get too excited. I'd place big money on this getting delayed at least a month. Sept 1st seems like an unrealistic release date even without 2020 being the Year of Constant Game Delays. I wouldn't expect to get this before November. Late October at the earliest.
Do you have even a scrap of evidence for that assertion?

nd

Cyhort

First Lieutenant
63 Badges
Jan 22, 2009
  • Deus Vult
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • East India Company
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
Do you have even a scrap of evidence for that assertion?

nd
Other than every other game this year getting delayed, sometimes multiple times?

Olden Weiss

First Lieutenant
Jul 11, 2020
Other than every other game this year getting delayed, sometimes multiple times?
There are a couple flaws in this logic, however.

Firstly, not every game has been delayed. Mount & Blade: Bannerlord wasn't delayed (though it's seeming it should have been). Monster Hunter World: Iceborne wasn't delayed. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV wasn't delayed. Doom Eternal wasn't delayed (... this year). The Final Fantasy VII remaster wasn't delayed (... this year...). Indeed there are dozens upon dozens of games this year which weren't delayed.

Secondly, applying the release practices of two or three studios to every studio makes no sense. Paradox Development Studio is not CD Projekt or Ubisoft. Perhaps you will be right, perhaps not... However the fact that a couple of companies delayed their games this year hardly qualifies as a body of proof to place big money on. It would be different, of course, if CK3 were another massively innovative open world action-RPG. In that case, perhaps I too would temper my expectations.

Cyhort

First Lieutenant
63 Badges
Jan 22, 2009
  • Deus Vult
  • Rome Gold
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Sengoku
  • March of the Eagles
  • East India Company
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
There are a couple flaws in this logic, however.

Firstly, not every game has been delayed. Mount & Blade: Bannerlord wasn't delayed (though it's seeming it should have been). Monster Hunter World: Iceborne wasn't delayed. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIV wasn't delayed. Doom Eternal wasn't delayed (... this year). The Final Fantasy VII remaster wasn't delayed (... this year...). Indeed there are dozens upon dozens of games this year which weren't delayed.

Secondly, applying the release practices of two or three studios to every studio makes no sense. Paradox Development Studio is not CD Projekt or Ubisoft. Perhaps you will be right, perhaps not... However the fact that a couple of companies delayed their games this year hardly qualifies as a body of proof to place big money on. It would be different, of course, if CK3 were another massively innovative open world action-RPG. In that case, perhaps I too would temper my expectations.
I would argue that Doom and FF7 both count because they were slated to come out this year, but got delayed. Also, Avengers was delayed. Dozens of indie games were delayed. Ghosts of Tsushima was delayed. Dying Light 2 was delayed. Last of Us 2, Gods and Monsters, Wasteland 3, Hellpoint, ESO: Greymore, Minecraft Dungeons, BioMutant, Outriders, R6: Quarantine were all delayed. Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, a Paradox property, got delayed. These aren't just big AAA games from large publishers. Whether it's from the Chinese coronavirus or poor planning, 2020 has been a year of constant delays. So much so that assuming a game won't be delayed seems pretty foolish.

Olden Weiss

First Lieutenant
Jul 11, 2020
As it pleases you. For my part, I will anticipate it. Paradox doesn't have a track record of delaying their games, so I see no reason to expect they will here.

kobreti77

Corporal
1 Badges
May 10, 2016
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
Delay is unlikely, but you have the perfect excuse now, without pissing of fans.
For me the lack of gameplay content is somewhat puzzling. They will start showing more in August , just a couple of weeks before release. I:R was streaming 4 months before release and had a dev clash.

Last edited:

Olden Weiss

First Lieutenant
Jul 11, 2020
Delay is unlikely, but you have the perfect excuse now, without pissing of fans.
For me the lack of gameplay content is somewhat puzzling. They will start showing more in August , just a couple of weeks before release. I:R was streaming 4 months before release and had a dev clash.
If I had to guess, there are probably a few factors at play:

First, it probably costs the company to get their content out. Youtube influencers are such a power unto themselves these days that I doubt it's as simple as going to one and asking, "Do you want to play our game for free?" There's likely a business transaction involved as well. The less time they spend doing this, the lower the expense. Marketing budget probably wouldn't be an issue except for some of the following points.

Second, they streamed Imperator four months before release, as you say, and so many people were unhappy with it. This may be controversial to say, but I thought even before Johan (I believe?) said it publicly: They showed us exactly what we were getting, what were people upset about? Regardless, when you spend months showing your players your game, they express excitement for that game, and then they flip the table when they get to play that same game... It really doesn't speak to the efficacy of months-long gameplay stream campaigns.

Third, Imperator was more or less a brand new IP. True, it was the spiritual successor to Europa Universalis: Rome, but it was such a step up and such an attempt to innovate that it really was its own creature. Such things take a bit more time to plug than The Game Which Needs No Introduction, Crusader Kings. I wager a great many of us cut our teeth on CK2, so wanting to play CK3 is quite a given.

My blind guess is that factors such as these came together to create a situation in which it simply didn't feel necessary to put CK3 gameplay out too early. Better to wait until the month before release to make sure the energy is fresh leading up to launch.

kobreti77

Corporal
1 Badges
May 10, 2016
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
If I had to guess, there are probably a few factors at play:

First, it probably costs the company to get their content out. Youtube influencers are such a power unto themselves these days that I doubt it's as simple as going to one and asking, "Do you want to play our game for free?" There's likely a business transaction involved as well. The less time they spend doing this, the lower the expense. Marketing budget probably wouldn't be an issue except for some of the following points.

Second, they streamed Imperator four months before release, as you say, and so many people were unhappy with it. This may be controversial to say, but I thought even before Johan (I believe?) said it publicly: They showed us exactly what we were getting, what were people upset about? Regardless, when you spend months showing your players your game, they express excitement for that game, and then they flip the table when they get to play that same game... It really doesn't speak to the efficacy of months-long gameplay stream campaigns.

Third, Imperator was more or less a brand new IP. True, it was the spiritual successor to Europa Universalis: Rome, but it was such a step up and such an attempt to innovate that it really was its own creature. Such things take a bit more time to plug than The Game Which Needs No Introduction, Crusader Kings. I wager a great many of us cut our teeth on CK2, so wanting to play CK3 is quite a given.

My blind guess is that factors such as these came together to create a situation in which it simply didn't feel necessary to put CK3 gameplay out too early. Better to wait until the month before release to make sure the energy is fresh leading up to launch.
All valid point to which i can not disagree.
One thing is for sure. Something spook them to make such a huge 180. Be it the importance of CK3 (CK2 is the flagship of PDS) or some other thoughts (they did expand in the thinking heads departments).
It was funny how on the "insider" stream they showed like 5 sec of paused gameplay (starting a murder plot).
Other DLCs also don't get early access or very late early access as before. Now it like 2-3 days before release tops.

It is unpopular opinion, as everybody dies to see actual gameplay, but i don't expect long streams (hours) in August. More like 30min Ireland again.

Nikolai

Basileus Romaion
71 Badges
Jun 17, 2001
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
I wager a great many of us cut our teeth on CK2, so wanting to play CK3 is quite a given.
Ah, the youngsters of the forum. ;) EU1, and for the benefit of CK, CK1 here. I remember the buggy hell that was CK1, which I still played to death and beyond. Memories... :D The fabled Snowball dev's constant mentioning of CK1 only being "a sushi dinner away".