CORE (0.50.20): "unknown string wanted" and invisible tech tree. Need help.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(208637)

Private
3 Badges
May 28, 2010
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Pillars of Eternity
CORE (0.50.20): "unknown string wanted" and invisible tech tree. Need help. [solved]

Hello,
first time I installed CORE.

What I did:
  • updated AoD to 1.06 Beta 3 in my "G:\Arsenal of Democracy"-folder
  • installed CORE (0.50.20), the b/w picture set and the travel guide into this folder too
  • started the game (checksum JDGP)
  • pictures from the travel guide: WORKS

What does NOT work:
  • tech tree: no typo and no pics visible: UNPLAYABLE
  • I am getting many "unknown string wanted"-messages at the start of the game

What did I wrong? Any help is appreciated.

SOLUTION: switch to english language ingame.

Last edited:
Well, the best tip is, do it all again.

Just to make sure:

There should be an icon on your desktop that starts CORE. Do not start it via your old AoD icon.

You should have a "mod-CORE2" directory in your Arsenal of Democacy folder and there should be lots of files and subdirectories in it.

If you have minimum computer skills: the Icon, which is a link to the program file, should have this target line und properties:

AODGame.exe mod-CORE2

The mod-CORE2 argument tells AODGame.exe to start with the mod-dir feature and use the contents of the mod-CORE2 directory.

Thank you for your fast reply, Tegetthoff.
  • I started Core via the Core-Icon on my desktop. It starts without any problem.
  • I installed and uninstalled AoD, Core (+ pics and travel guide) several times.
  • "mod-CORE2" is in my AoD-directory
  • the target of the Core-icon on my desktop is:
    Code:
    "G:\Arsenal of Democracy\AODGame.exe" mod-CORE2

The mod starts as expected und looks nice, but the tech tree is messed up:
- can't see the typo (only in the "panzer"-tree)
- no pictures in the tech tree

Any hint?

As the travel guide pics are working fine, you are starting the CORE scenario from moddir, and also the checksum seems to be in good order. What resolution are you running on? Any specifics/details about your setup?

When you start AoD, do you see the CORE start screen or the AoD start screen?

When AoD has been launched, do you have a single campaign or several? (you should have only one)

We have 47 downloads today on 0.50.20 - is anybody else experiencing problems?

When you start AoD, do you see the CORE start screen or the AoD start screen?
When I start the AoD.exe I see the AoD starting screen. CORE.exe = CORE starting screen. Fine.

When AoD has been launched, do you have a single campaign or several? (you should have only one)
CORE.exe = one campaign (starting in 1936). AoD.exe = several campaigns as usual.

Hagar and Tegetthoff: Thank you for your fast responses. It seems as if I am missing some event scripts and some pictures and text for the tech trees.

What did I wrong?

What's your onboard graphics card (make/model and driver used)?
Please try to use a screen resolution like 1024x768.
Uninstall AoD and reinstall, patch to 1.06b3, make a backup of this AoD directory for easier reinstall, install Core but do not install the additional graphics packs (only those included with the CORE installer). Please report back whether this works or not.
XP Home or Prof 32 Bit or a 64Bit XP ?

• Please try to use a screen resolution like 1024x768. DONE
  • Uninstall AoD and reinstall, patch to 1.06b3, make a backup of this AoD directory for easier reinstall, install Core but do not install the additional graphics packs (only those included with the CORE installer) DONE

DOES NOT WORK . Same problems as before.

Winston11 said:
* tech tree: no typo and no pics visible: UNPLAYABLE
* I am getting many "unknown string wanted"-messages at the start of the game

well tech pics are obviously somewhere at the wrong place. same for some text files

Any chance of uploading a screen shot? How many files are present in your mod-CORE2\gfx\interface\tech folder (should be 670)?

Any chance of uploading a screen shot? How many files are present in your mod-CORE2\gfx\interface\tech folder (should be 670)?

There is NO tech folder in that directory.

Folders in mod-CORE2\gfx\interface\ are:
  • frontend
  • models
  • pics
Plus some pictures like "techtree_industry.bmp"

When I rember correctly, the CORE installation path was something like
C:\paradox\aod
I pointed it to my installation directory G:\aod. Maybe that messed something up.

Will be online again later on.

Thank you all!

Have you installed either of the two graphics pack add-ons? If so, you've installed it in the wrong directory. As with the main installer, just select the AoD directory to install it. If not, try downloading and installing a graphics pack add-on...

Ahh - that's it: Please switch to english language - playing the game in german language is not supported as a lot of files lack proper translation. Open the settings.txt in your AoD main directory and set the language to "0" (zero). Then try again.

ahh - that's it: Please switch to english language - playing the game in german language is not supported as a lot of files lack proper translation.

It works!

Thank you denniss. I also installed the b/w pic pack and the travel guide without any problems. I really love CORE's tech tree.

But now I have other issues:

• There are missing some pictures (icons), for instance for mountain troops and cavalry - here I can see only a a white cross on a yellow background
  • the date under my starting infantry says 1947

What can I do?