• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, that's about the size of it. But it's an involved process as the player faces a series of choices.

The process begins when the German player is presented with an event that allows him/her to appoint Himmler as Minister of Security. If Himmler is not appointed (in order to stay with a more effective minister for example) the SS do not appear. If he is appointed SS divisions are introduced by individual event.

Each division is introduced on a specified date, uses normal division techs, and is individually rated for org and morale. A supporting event allows the German player to choose whether only the Germanic SS divisions will be raised or whether additional divisions will be recruited from occupied territories. The initial org and morale of the Germanic SS divisions are superior to other divisions, including other SS divisions.

If I remember correctly, the Germanic SS divisions arrive as motorised infantry (not sure about Florian Geyer) but subsequent events permit them to be upgraded at a cost. The other SS divisions (if selected) arrive in various flavours.

Hope that gives you a better picture, Titan.

Great that it has finally come! I have just a few comments: First, would it be possible to increase the aggressiveness of the battle AI? I am now playing as the US and it is November 1940. Germany is sitting on the border of France and with Ghent left of Belgium. I loaded up as them to see their strength and they could easily break through, but the AI will not move. The SCW is still going due to this. The AI will not attack despite have a reasonably large superiority. Second: Is the amount of rares in the world WAD? As the US I'm low but OK now that my war economy has started going, but other countries not so much. For example, Germany is down 163 IC due to lack of rares, and this is in 1940! And third, something very small, the unit names ending with 3, such as 3rd, 23rd, etc. Instead are shown as 3d, 23d, etc.

Great that it has finally come! I have just a few comments: First, would it be possible to increase the aggressiveness of the battle AI? I am now playing as the US and it is November 1940. Germany is sitting on the border of France and with Ghent left of Belgium. I loaded up as them to see their strength and they could easily break through, but the AI will not move. The SCW is still going due to this. The AI will not attack despite have a reasonably large superiority. Second: Is the amount of rares in the world WAD? As the US I'm low but OK now that my war economy has started going, but other countries not so much. For example, Germany is down 163 IC due to lack of rares, and this is in 1940! And third, something very small, the unit names ending with 3, such as 3rd, 23rd, etc. Instead are shown as 3d, 23d, etc.
I do recall the AI sometimes stalls when the game runs on a long stretch... At least it did in the ARMA days. The solution was to sometimes load a save rather than have a prolonged run in one go, as that jump starts the AI again. Though I'm hardly an AI expert myself...

As to lack of rares, well that one is indeed WAD. The rares distribution is fully historical, based on LoN archives, for one. I do recall Germany being somewhat overpowered still in AoD, so that might explain why it's running low a wee bit faster than they did historically. In real life even the US had rares problems during WWII, like rubber, actually. With AoD itself still in a tweaking stage I expect us to do likewise on the short term, especially when 1.04 comes out.

As to unit name spelling, well it might be American spelling, though ArmdChair is the driving force here. We use American spelling throughout CORE2, with the exception of country-specific texts for countries using Oxford English instead. For instance the UK naval build events consistently use 'programme' rather than 'program'...
For CORE3 we're likely to switch to UK spelling, as HoI3 is using that as a base (unlike HoI2).

We know that provinces can have a negative "production" of, for example, energy.

But I noticed that improving infrastructures in those provinces leads to a decrease in energy production (e.g. from -6.16 to -6.26).

Is this correct ?

The goods with positive values correctly increase.

Cheers
Fabrizio

I have a question: as Germany in late Nov 1939 I have still not managed to sink a single convoy with my submarines. I have the appropriate techs researched (VIIB & IXA, Unrestricted Sub Warfare etc) What am I doing wrong? I have the boats organized in groups of 3, for easier control of them, and they're covering the Western Approaches, Bay of Biscay, Coast of Portugal, and Mid Arlantic. Not a single convoy sunk...any suggestions?

Yep, that's about the size of it. But it's an involved process as the player faces a series of choices.
(...)
Hope that gives you a better picture, Titan.
Prompt and exhaustive as usual, Epaminondas.

Yes, this definitely solves my doubts. Thank you for the explanation!

I have a question: as Germany in late Nov 1939 I have still not managed to sink a single convoy with my submarines. I have the appropriate techs researched (VIIB & IXA, Unrestricted Sub Warfare etc) What am I doing wrong? I have the boats organized in groups of 3, for easier control of them, and they're covering the Western Approaches, Bay of Biscay, Coast of Portugal, and Mid Arlantic. Not a single convoy sunk...any suggestions?

Group them in sixes and eights - works for me.

With my 1.04 RC4 i got a little below 50% ESE on start and a little above 50% on the second day.
Yes, I didn't expect the value to adapt after the first day, never seen this behaviour in AoD. The 10 additional points of difference seem to be due to the difficulty level, on normal I see the same numbers.

Hagar said:
I do recall the AI sometimes stalls when the game runs on a long stretch... At least it did in the ARMA days. The solution was to sometimes load a save rather than have a prolonged run in one go, as that jump starts the AI again. Though I'm hardly an AI expert myself...

OK, thanks foe the tip, I restarted the game and a little more did happen, but I feel that it is still not quite the problem.The AI is afraid to attack despite a massive advantage. For example, Nat. Spain has RS surrounded in 2 pockets, and for each division of RS troops, there are 4/5 for NS, but still they have been sitting in the same positions for over 2 years. Given this is probably a problem for the BL-Logic guys, but that is the issue here.

Many thanks everyone for getting this out - much appreciated!

Played Germany thru' to July 39 with 1.04RC4 - and research seems far too fast for a CORE game?? First of all I was surprised to start with all 10 tech slots - never had this in 'vanilla' AoD. Even sticking to 75% research I was always able to research ahead for the whole 3 1/2 years - and basically had everything I wanted (no new capital ships).

(I'm aware that 1.04 changed the research speed for ahead of time and 'old' techs - so maybe this is a factor??)

Played Germany thru' to July 39 with 1.04RC4 - and research seems far too fast for a CORE game?? First of all I was surprised to start with all 10 tech slots - never had this in 'vanilla' AoD. Even sticking to 75% research I was always able to research ahead for the whole 3 1/2 years - and basically had everything I wanted (no new capital ships).

(I'm aware that 1.04 changed the research speed for ahead of time and 'old' techs - so maybe this is a factor??)
We tweaked it to perform more or less historically for 1.02 (which is a wee bit faster than in CORE for ARM). So it's likely caused by the 1.04 tweaks in AoD itself. Once 1.04 is officially out I'm sure we'll try to tweak CORE accordingly fairly soon after.

We know that provinces can have a negative "production" of, for example, energy.

But I noticed that improving infrastructures in those provinces leads to a decrease in energy production (e.g. from -6.16 to -6.26).

Is this correct ?

On the one hand this is part of the game mechanics and cannot be changed.

On the other hand, building additional roads and railways WILL increase energy consumption, so we actually think the effect is historical.

If you bomb this province, energy consumption will drop .... again historical, if you blast away those roads and railways, less energy (coal and electricity) will be consumed.

T.

Just to add my 0.02 €...

When testing CORE on 1.02, we all felt that research felt realistic with 10 slots. Very late in the testing we added some research speed but increased the research penalty for researching ahead of time. This was done to specifically slow down majors (who can afford to research ahead) and speed up minors.

As Hagar stated, we have to review this for 1.04. For example, in 1.02 we cannot accelerate research long after historical time beyond a factor of 1.5. This may be changed in 1.04.

T.

On the one hand this is part of the game mechanics and cannot be changed.

On the other hand, building additional roads and railways WILL increase energy consumption, so we actually think the effect is historical.

If you bomb this province, energy consumption will drop .... again historical, if you blast away those roads and railways, less energy (coal and electricity) will be consumed.

T.

Understood!
Thanks

Fabrizio

Hey awesome mod but i got some feedback from playing. I am playing as UK and i love the new IC and having a puppet india (less micro + a powerful ally). Anyway im not sure if my efficient tech research turned France into a contender with Germany. It is 1942 and they almost have conquered france!. I diddnt even send any units to help with france because i wanted Germany to take france so i could unleash my Air force on him. But basically it was like von sachen's post.

They handled Netherlands pretty efficiently but when they met the Belgiumese they started to slow down till it was basically world war 1 for a year. Even when italy joined Axis France still held. Also im not sure if this is because Germany didn't conquer france but Japan never did Pearl Harbor and also Germany never did barbarossa but that must be because France was still surviving.

Ive only played 1 game but what are the odds that the same thing happened to von sachen

Hey awesome mod but i got some feedback from playing. I am playing as UK and i love the new IC and having a puppet india (less micro + a powerful ally). Anyway im not sure if my efficient tech research turned France into a contender with Germany. It is 1942 and they almost have conquered france!. I diddnt even send any units to help with france because i wanted Germany to take france so i could unleash my Air force on him. But basically it was like von sachen's post.

They handled Netherlands pretty efficiently but when they met the Belgiumese they started to slow down till it was basically world war 1 for a year. Even when italy joined Axis France still held. Also im not sure if this is because Germany didn't conquer france but Japan never did Pearl Harbor and also Germany never did barbarossa but that must be because France was still surviving.

Ive only played 1 game but what are the odds that the same thing happened to von sachen

Hi am300307,

I have run some handsoff tests with AoD 1.04RC4 and CORE 0.49.9 and I have found in a couple of instances the Germans struggle to conquer france in 1940. I have a feeling that it has to do with the tweaking of ARM/INF values that the AoD team did for the 1.04 release candidate to tone down the effectiveness of ARM units. This is having an impact on the chances of Germany breaking through the Low Countries into France I believe. There are also cases where the AI stacks the wrong units in the wrong provinces ie. ARM units on the Siegried Line instead of opposite Luxembourg. This can slow down the initial breakthrough as the assaults have to be done by INF instead of ARM units.

The CORE team will be improving, testing and balancing the mod as we work towards a 0.50 AoD release. Hopefully there won't need to be too much reworking of unit values to compensate for the changes made to AoD. Thanks for reporting though and we're glad you're enjoying the mod.