Converting culture in Colonial Nations: can we please get a solution, please

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vic3RebelUprising

Second Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2020
It's imposible to convert the culture of provinces in America, as your provinces are controlled by your Colonial Nations, and not directly by you.

Can you give us the option to manually convert the culture of our Colonial Nation's provinces?

It specially bothers me when you annex the Aztec and Mayan nations (Mexico and Peru) and you cannot convert them to Spanish culture, for example.

It is also annoying if you want to try to spread a culture in all the world.

Can we have an option to convert, just like with religion. I don't mind if it is expensive in dip points, I just think players should have the posibility.

Thanks a lot.

PS: also, does anyone understand how does the spawn of cultures like Cuban, Mexican, Brazilian, etc work? Is there any way to prevent them from spawning?

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The system worked fine (or at least good enough) before the 1.26 patch.

Yes it worked find before 1.26 but I really can't say it does anymore. It would be nice if the "expel minorities" features included a way to move out indigenous populated provinces out into the frontier (which is how many Eastern tribes ended up nearly at the Pacific in the United States) but instead we got Moroccan Louisiana.

The Colonial nation system heavily disincentives even bothering to take other colonies, your colonial nation will just be stuck with a few provinces with the wrong culture penalty. It's not that leaving cultures in colonial provinces is ahistorical, Quebec was allowed to keep their culture and religion after the British conquest as it was beneficial to the British, but by EUIV's colonial nation logic, New York would still be Dutch New Amsterdam forever. There is a level of continued migration that should be abstracted into the game, either peacefully or perhaps not so peacefully, such as the Expulsion of the Acadians in what is now Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. As it is now, colonial nations well into the Age of Revolution are burdened with OPM native provinces and mismatched cultures.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Can we please get some reply about if this getting fixed.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
AFAIK they have never indicated that it was broken.
Expel minorities seems to be doing exactly what they wanted it to do.
That's why I refuse to buy Golden Century.

• 1Like
Reactions:
AFAIK they have never indicated that it was broken.
Expel minorities seems to be doing exactly what they wanted it to do.
That's why I refuse to buy Golden Century.
This thread is about converting provinces in America as a European nation, not about expel minorities.

Reactions:
It is super annoying if you're going for 1 religion 1 culture world and can't do it as English or Spanish because of damned americans and mexicans popping up everywhere. Maybe have your colony convert to your culture based on your native assimilation and if their liberty desire is too high for too long they become americans/mexicans/cajun +++

• 4Like
Reactions:
This thread is about converting provinces in America as a European nation, not about expel minorities.

Expelling minorities severely exacerbates this problem for those who are insistent on playing with GC enabled.

Please please, tell us this is fixed in 1.30 @Groogy @Johan @neondt

I believe the devs said that they were looking into the issue of conversion, and said they would fix it in one of the earlier dev diaries for the next patch. I don't know whether they meant religious conversion and cultural conversion, or religious only.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I believe the devs said that they were looking into the issue of conversion, and said they would fix it in one of the earlier dev diaries for the next patch. I don't know whether they meant religious conversion and cultural conversion, or religious only.
Currently it is possible to convert religion from your Colonial Nation provinces. But not the culture.

Reactions:
Currently it is possible to convert religion from your Colonial Nation provinces. But not the culture.
It's not possible to convert religion completely, because they put down their promote settlement growth on wrong religion provinces just to tempt you into giving them independence (so you can declare war on them to take that province and finish your one faith)

• 5Haha
Reactions:
It's not possible to convert religion completely, because they put down their promote settlement growth on wrong religion provinces just to tempt you into giving them independence (so you can declare war on them to take that province and finish your one faith)
I doubt it was intentional.

I think is just poor work of the Jake dev team. Let’s hope Johan fixes the mess Jake left.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Haha, just a bit funny how you seem to beg for a solution. I fully understand you though. There were some horrible changes. Only thing to do in 1.29 is to go for a true one tag and convert everything yourself. Sad but true :cool:

Reactions:
Haha, just a bit funny how you seem to beg for a solution. I fully understand you though. There were some horrible changes. Only thing to do in 1.29 is to go for a true one tag and convert everything yourself. Sad but true :cool:
Let's hope the devs fix this...

Reactions:

Adding in the ability to forcibly reassign colonists for settling growth/colonizing for a Liberty Desire malus would be historical and very useful here.

Just so you know Mexico and Peru still have millions of natives so it's not unrealistic for the culture to stay the same up until the end of the game, by far. It could even be argued that the initial main culture of New Spain was Nahua, the official language was Nahuatl and they used a lot of Tlaxcaltec soldiers to watch and settle Northern Mexico (currently a colonial nation takes the dominant culture as their primary culture so this is realistic). The Viceroyalty of Peru also used Quechua as the main language.

But regarding religion, I'm 99% sure the devs mentioned something about religious conversion in colonies being fixed some uncertain time in the future.

I think the main problem here is just a lack of a pop system. The most obvious issue with t his is a place like the Indian Sultanates. Since they have so much heathen tolerance, they never need to convert... except sometimes they do for no apparent reason. Realistically this occurs because the Muslims in their capital become so dominant they overtake the Hindus, but in the game it seems to be some weird crutch to an unrealistic system.

So I don't know, remove heathen tolerance add heretic tolerance for colonies? An option to convert culture makes sense too.

Reactions: