Convert energy to cosmite at 3 to 1 rate ! (Black market connections doctrine)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MrFedia3000

Corporal
9 Badges
Dec 3, 2019
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Magicka
So I don't see people talking much about Black market connections doctrine that you can get from Therians NPC faction but it has some ... pretty strong uses to say the least.

This doctrine allows you to get cosmite in addition to energy when you sell items, I quess people miss it as the doctrine description says rewards not items. There are items that cost only energy (vehicles). Add 2+2 and you get the following scheme to converting energy to cosmite:

1. Enable Black market connections
2. Buy vehicles for 60 energy a piece
3. Sell them for 42 energy and 6 cosmite.

Thus you lose 18 energy but get 6 cosmite which is 3 energy for 1 cosmite.

It's kind of an obvious use for this doctrine I know, but some people might miss it so I wanted to share it.

Reactions:
There are some threads discussing the doctrine. Check out the "UPDATED Tier List: All 107 Doctrines (Now with Anomaly Doctrines)" thread. It is interesting that you can sell the vehicles and get cosmite. That is another reason why that OP doctrine is even better. I will say though, you probably don't need to. With all the cosmite you get with the doctrine up, cosmite won't be the limiting factor all that long.

Good point though. Getting 1 cosmite for 3 energy is better than any trade you can normally do with allies.

Reactions:
Check out the "UPDATED Tier List: All 107 Doctrines (Now with Anomaly Doctrines)"
I read this thread, D tier doctrine, lol. What I meant by people not talking about it is for a doctrine so strong I expected people to spam threads about it being OP or something like that.

I want to research this doctrine more, I haven't had a game with therians yet, I only tested the doctrine with cheats when I got this idea about selling vehicles.

I imagine the following situation - clear a heavy weapons factory and get 250 energy, the doctrine immediately gives you 38 cosmite on top of it but then you can make these shenanigans with vehicles and get around 80 cosmite. So it's 120 cosmite for one exploration site? That's crapload of cosmite, wow. Can I spam whatever mods I want with this doctrine? Non stop fire burst troopers? Sounds very interesting to try it out.

Should you even care about settling cosmite nodes when you have therians on the map

Well yeah but take into account one thing. You first need to find Therians, upgrade your relation to level 2, activate the doctrine, sell what you want, and probably switch it off, becasue why would you block a doctrine slot if you don't use sth besides for the sale itself (and changing doctrines costs energy). At this point in the game you'll probably already will have access to at least one cosmite node, maybe even two, and cosmite production structure in your HQ (via research). And you can always trade energy for cosmite via diplomacy. Yeah, the more cosmite the better, but it's better to use doctrines that give you a permanent boost then something you'll use once or twice in your entire playthrough. So the thing is: this doctrine might be good, but when comparing to doctrines that constantly give you something (like Voidtech Echo Protocols) it's kinda less useful.

Although I must say I didn't know there is such a good trade ratio for vechicles...

I read this thread, D tier doctrine, lol. What I meant by people not talking about it is for a doctrine so strong I expected people to spam threads about it being OP or something like that.

I want to research this doctrine more, I haven't had a game with therians yet, I only tested the doctrine with cheats when I got this idea about selling vehicles.

I imagine the following situation - clear a heavy weapons factory and get 250 energy, the doctrine immediately gives you 38 cosmite on top of it but then you can make these shenanigans with vehicles and get around 80 cosmite. So it's 120 cosmite for one exploration site? That's crapload of cosmite, wow. Can I spam whatever mods I want with this doctrine? Non stop fire burst troopers? Sounds very interesting to try it out.

Should you even care about settling cosmite nodes when you have therians on the map
You still need cosmite, though the need is much lower. Basically, the doctrine distorts the game in a really weird way at that point. Getting large cash and cosmite rewards is a strange effect because it so directly bears on your army strength. Your armies immediately get outfitted fully, then if you can get the armies to split, where you have two competent armies at once, then things go crazy. You fly through landmarks and sub-landmarks as your armies start to get out of control. Then once your heroes get the whopping 50 cosmite needed for the Therian carbon sword, then you are basically unstoppable. I believe my heroes had like 10 armor 2 shields, and were annihilating everything they hit. Just watch out though, the Achilles Heel of Therians is psionic. Take those guys seriously.

And know, you can sometimes get 3 or 4 rewards in one turn if you can field the armies. Things start to spiral at that point. Whoever reaches this point first probably will win unless you have a strategy god on the other side.