CONTEST! Europa Universalis IV: Rewrite history - Create an in-game event!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regina

Lt. General
5 Badges
Jan 29, 2008
www.paradoxdevelopmentstudio.com
  • Majesty 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
Dare to rewrite the world with your own event – the winners will have their events put into the Grandest of Empire-building Games

Today, your dreams of rewriting history shall lay dormant no longer. Paradox Interactive and Paradox Development Studio have announced an official contest for you, if you dare to rewrite the world history with your own event for the award-winning and critically acclaimed empire-building game Europa Universalis IV?

The world history is now yours to conquer, so prepare to change the fate of nations and create your own event for Europa Universalis IV. Go forth to explore history in search of creative ideas for events and declare war on the internet for ideas that garner the means to fulfill your quest for global domination.

We will pick three winners and add their events into Europa Universalis IV. No prior scripting knowledge is needed; we want a basic design and the event text. Send over your ideas and we'll take care of the rest.

The Rules:
1. Only one event per gamer!
2. It has to be a simple, one-shot event. No follow-ups, no event series.
3. It can be historical, humorous, serious, or any combination of those - as long as it fits the period.
4. There are no restrictions to what countries or what time span the event should target. It's up to you to decide when and where it should take place as long as it suits the country and time frame.
5. Unless you have an event picture in mind, we'll pick an appropriate artwork for the event.
6. The event needs both a trigger and an effect. The trigger can be very simple, as having a certain religion, or something more restrictive. The effect shouldn't be too severe or impact the game too much, as this will be more of a flavor event.
7. The event can have multiple options with different effects, or just one. (Having additional options that only show up if certain factors are fulfilled can be a nice touch, but it isn't required.)
8. Make sure not to write too much text, as it needs to fit inside the event window. If it's too long, we'll shorten it as needed if your event is picked as one of the winners.
9. Deadline is October 1st for your event submission.

How to participate?
Submit your event in this thread!
If the developers like more events than the three winners selected, there is a chance that additional contestant entries will be included in the game.

Here are a few basic event trigger suggestions:
- An event that is triggered when a monarchy is missing an heir.
- An event that is triggered when a country is the junior partner in a union.
- A province event that is triggered if the capital doesn't have the state religion.

Here is an example of what an event submission could look like:

Trigger:
The country has a ruler with at least 5 in admin skill.

Event Text:
Changes of policies when cleverly timed and made, were often well perceived by the people of the time beyond their actual efficiency, as a proof of the government's good will and interest in the welfare of the realm.

Option A: Use the money to bring stability to our nation
Add one stability

Option B: Invest the money in our government
Add 25 points in each monarch point category

Option C: Let's fill our treasury while we have their support
Add a fifth-of-a-year's income to the treasury

Ravishing Rewards:
Three lucky winners will receive a complete Paradox Interactive bundle AND each winner gets their event added to the game!
The daring developers will pick out their personal favorites by October 7th and the events will be added as soon as possible after the winners have been selected. May the best conqueror take over the game. And, of course, don’t forget to subscribe to this thread to enjoy the event stories from your fellow empire builders!

Cheers,
Paradox Development Studio & Paradox Interactive

PS. A free demo for Europa Universalis IV is available for curious conquerors at:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/

About Europa Universalis IV
You're a kid in a candy shop, except the shop is history and the candy is decisions. Europa Universalis IV is the grandest of empire building game. Pick your favorite from all the countries in the world, every one of them unique, and govern it however you choose in an addictive battle for survival, for territory, or to bend history itself to your will. Can you even HANDLE that sort of freedom? What about 32 person multiplayer? Do you see what I´m saying? Every single play session will be utterly unique. Paradox want you to gorge yourself on strategy, and see how much you can take. It's the Age of Discovery, after all.

Follow Europa Universalis IV:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/EuropaUniversalis
Twitter: http://twitter.com/E_Universalis
Web page: http://www.europauniversalis4.com

P
s. We released Europa Universalis IV Beginners Guide today, snatch it here:
EuropaUniversalisIV_Beginners Guide.pdf

Trigger:
The country is a monarchy and has a regency.

Event Text:
'(The) King has abandoned us for pastures new; where, few can say, but it is likely a lesser environment in which to rule over his subjects. His reasons for abdicating are a mystery to all but those in the highest echelons of power, but few shall mourn his passing for long. Can we survive? Shall we prosper? Who shall rule us now?'

Option A: (The) King's heir, currently employed as a jester in the North.
Gain a random 1/1/1 monarch and -1 stability.

Option B: Our most esteemed noble, leader of the regency council.
Gain a random 3/3/3 monarch and +1 stability.

Option C: We must establish a permanent regency council and await (The) King's return!
Become a Noble Republic and gain a random 2/2/2 monarch.

My official entry: Royal marriage has unintended consequences. I always felt that royal marriages were only positive and there should be a risk of something extra happening: there are plenty of cases where forced marriages ended in tragedy and others that worked remarkably well.

Trigger: Has a royal marriage. It should only trigger once per royal marriage and have low chances (10% per marriage?) of triggering at all in its present form. Of course, if could be expended into a whole event chain.

Case A (Good, 48% chance?):
Event Text: Our royal marriage with X has brought true love. The couple's love, despite an initial mistrust, grew into the stuff legends are made of and is inspiring ballads in all the land.
Option 1: Bring both nations closer: +15 to relations for 10 years. +60% of a new heir with strong claim.
Option 2: All the glory goes to us! +10 prestige. +40% of a new heir with strong claim.

Case B (Bad, 52% chance?)
Event Text: Our royal marriage with X might end in tragedy! The royal couple hates each other with a passion. Rumours abound that the harlot has even taken lovers from the lower classes. Oh the scandal!
Option 1: But what can I do? -1 stability.
Option 2: Kick the harlot out! Royal marriage ends with usual consequences.

PS: Technically, these are two events but they both fall in the category of one case (Ropyal marriage) so hopefully I am within the letter of the contest even if I am not really within the spirit of it. ;)

-----

A "bonus" event is the beast of the Gévaudan one that could happen to anyone who owns the Gévaudan in the XVIII century:

La Bête du Gévaudan
Trigger: Has Lyonnais (I think it's the closes province but could be wrong), date is between between 1764 and 1770.
Event Text: A beast is terrorising the Gévaudan region, instilling fear and terror into the hearts of all. What is it? A Werewolf? It seems immune to bullets, has claws like razors, and keeps on killing men, women, and children. Will the king help?
Option 1: Pray to God. -1 stability, +10 papal influence.
Option 2: Send in the royal hunters! -1 stability, +5 prestige, +5 military tradition.
Option 3: Offer a reward! -350 ducats, -10 prestige.

More information on the wikipedia page. The film Le Pact Des Loups offers an interesting take on the events.

Last edited:
Trigger:
Has a small chance of triggering when your ruler dies in a battle (i.e. the event does not trigger the death. the death happens based on the already existing mechanic of a ruler dying in battle)

Event Text:
Blood and Thunder! Leading his glorious army from the front in the Battle of (province name), (Ruler name) and his retinue have been separated and cornered by a strong enemy force! Escape is impossible, and the brutish enemy will give no quarter! Will you charge with your full might, or conduct a last stand with your truest guards?

Option A: "Into the jaws of Death, into the mouth of Hell we ride!"
(Ruler name) dies
(Military advisor name) dies

Gain 20 prestige
Gain 10 army tradition

Option B: "Fly, you fools!"
(Ruler name) dies
Gain 10 prestige
Gain 1,000 manpower (scaled)
Lose 2 war exhaustion

Last edited:
This is ''two sides'' of the same event.

Trigger a: A monarchy declares war upon a republic. Ruler has diplomacy skill of 6+. Year is after 1725.
''The opressing rule of the monarchy marches upon us, my brethren! To arms, let us dispose of these invaders!''
A army to the size of 20% of your army, and max 30k army spwans in your capital. No supply upkeep during the war.

Trigger b: A revolutionary republic, a revolutionary empire or a republic declares war on a monarchy.Ruler has diplomacy skill of 6. Year is after 1725.
''My people, even now as I speak to you the armies of tyranny marches upon us. In my position as King [(if enlightend despotism ''First among citizens'')] I urge you all to march with me! The people marches on!''
A army of 15% of your total army, and max 22k army spwans in your capital free of upkeep untill the end of the war. Country gains ''To my People'' (+2 morale, -0,5 dicipline) untill the end of the war.

Last edited:
Trigger: You have +1 or more stability

Event Text: Peasants are shocked to see a bright yellow ball in the sky. It emits heat and some are beginning to think it is a big fireball sent by God to burn the world.

Option A: It's an omen! Lose 1 stability
Option B: Let us pray. Lose 1 stability
Option C: It's replaced by a shining white stone at night! Lose 1 stability
Option D: Stop looking at the sky! Lose 1 stability. Your army is blinded by looking at the sky. Lose 50% manpower for 20 years.

(BTW, does the paradox complete bundle update itself with new games?)

Trigger: Scandinavia is formed (with a modifier of 500 per month), or Sweden/Denmark/Norway has the full trade idea group (with a modifier of 2000 per month).

"Our power over the Baltic sea has been established and is bringing in a lot of money to us. Where should we go next?"

Option 1: "Mare Nostrum". - 2 Stability, -200 diplomatic, administrative and military power, gain a claim on all non-scandinavian cultured provinces in the Baltic trade node.

Option 2: "Let us go west.". - 1 stability, -100 diplomatic power, gain 1 colonist for 25 years.

Option 3: "Let us stay here." +1 stability, + 50 administrative power, -10% trade efficiency for 10 years.

Trigger:
-Monarchy
-Positive stability
-80+ legitimacy
-A neighbour became a republic within the last 10 years
-Year is before 1700
-NOT Protestant or Reformed

Text:
As everyone around seems to succumb into denying the natural order of things, our vigilance in the face of this frenzy is paying off. More and more people become afraid of these changes and feel inspired by the way our glorius nation has been wisely ruled since times immemorial.

Option A:
Long live the King!
Gain 10 legitimacy

Option B:
Rally the troops to protect us from these madmen!
Gain 25 military power

Option C [Catholics only]
We're truly blessed!
Gain 25 Papal Influence

Option C [Orthodox only]
We're truly blessed!
Gain 25 Patriarch authority

Option C [All non-Christian]
We're truly blessed!
Tolerance of true faith +1 for 20 years

The Red Wedding

Trigger:
The player has a royal wedding with a country it has broken an alliance with for the past 10 years.

Event Text:
"Your Grace, I feel I've been remiss in my duties. I've given you meat and wine and music, but I haven’t shown you the hospitality you deserve. My King has married and I owe my new Queen a wedding gift."

Option A: "The [other country/ruler] sends his regards"
The current ruler dies. -6 stability A regency for 14 years with an heir of the same stats.

Option B: "The [culture group] will never forget"
The heir dies. -6 stability, -1000 gold and -20000 manpower

Copyright to those who deserve it :)

Event: "Deserters!"

Trigger: Army maintenance < 100%, player has NOT completed "idea group: Quality".

Text: "Armies levied from the peasantry often faced significant problems with desertion, particularly in peacetime or when the rewards for service were low. One of our armies has reported significant desertions. Perhaps we should raise our land maintenance budget?"

Effect: A single randomly selected unit of the player is reduced in strength to the current land maintenance % setting of the player (rounded down). For example, at 50% maintenance a stack of 30k will lose 15k to desertions. A 1k stack will disappear completely.

Advanced option - the deserters join an existing rebel stack!

Event name:
Intermarium

Trigger:
- [Depending on which one of these coutries player controls] (Commonwealth OR Poland/Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland has relation of at least 100 with (Commonwealth OR Poland/Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland;
- (Commonwealth OR Poland AND Lithuania)/Hungary/Finland exists;
- Has a ruler with at least 5 in diplomatic skill;
- (Commonwealth OR Poland AND Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland is Christian;

Event text
Through years of cooperation in diplomatic and military aspects our glorious nations understood that it is a time to join together and face external threats. As the result of long term friendship we, the independed nations of Europe have decided to become the one in new political entity- confederation!

Option 1: Let's accumulate the power!
- Contry's name changes to Intersea
- (Commonwealth OR Poland/Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland inherited NOTE: Depends which countries exists, however three required MUST exist
- Government type changes to Administrative Republic
- +2 to national revolt risk
- +1 to tolerance of True Faith
- +1 to tolerance of Heretics
- Relations with ALL bordering countries changes by -100

Option 2: Let's go for it, but keep some autonomy
- Contry's name changes to Intersea
- Government type changes to Administrative Republic
- (Commonwealth OR Poland/Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland became the lesser partner under player's nation
- No limit of diplomatic relations penalty NOTE: This just means that the lesser partners of the union WILL NOT occupy diplomatic relations pool
- No possibility to annex the lesser partner
- -2 to national revolt risk in all countries involved
- + 2 diplomatic reputation for senior of the union
- + 10% global trade power for senior of the union
- Relations with ALL bordering countries changes by -50

Option 3: We do better on our own...
- Relations with (Commonwealth OR Poland/Lithuania)/Hungary/Ukraine/Finland changes by -80
- Relation with ALL OTHER BORDERING countries changes by +100
- -1 to national revolt risk
- +10% land forcelimits
- +10% naval forcelimits

----------------
NOTE
The idea of Intermarium (Latin) or Intersea (English) was created by Marshal Józef Piłsudski after 1WW. It was meant to be a coalition of eastern European nations under the lead of Poland targeted mostly agains Soviet Union. For more info please see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermarium

Of course the whole idea grown in different time and geopolitical situation than the EUIV takes place in but I still think that it may be funny, fancy and enjoyable to have something like that in the game. It is a real concept tweaked by me to some degree. All above can be changed to meet developer's needs if I be lucky enough to be the chosen one;)

Last edited:
Event name:
The big feast

Trigger:
Won a war in the last year.
Have >100 ducats
Gouvernment is any type of monarchy

Event Text:
After your glorious victory your king holds a big feast. Every important noble and even a lot of peasents are invited to celebrate.
Even your king gets really drunk and as he awakes the next morning he realizes what he had done.

Only Option:

Get a Royal marriage with a random country.
Loose 100 ducats
Gain 1 stability

The Great Feast

Trigger: Primary culture is Scandinavian
Government type is a monarchy

Event Text: In times of great galore kings would often have great feast. Semla, Lobsters,Kipper and many other northern delicacies were eaten in great quantities.
Do you wish to indulge in it and also show our abundance to the rest of the world?

Option A: Its so tasty you dine for it.

5 Legitimacy
5 Prestige
Lose 10 gold
35% Change the King dies

Option B: Nay, my waistline expanded already too much.

Loss 5 Prestige

Last edited:
The Knights Who Say Ni

Trigger: is at peace for 5 years (only happens once)

Event Text:

The military is not satisfied with the country's state of affair, the country is at peace for too long and the soldiers are starting to get mad. They even started an illegal military order called the Knights Who Say Ni, defenders of the sacred words Ni, Peng and Neee-wom.

They are scaring the people and they say the only thing that can pacify them it's "Neighbour country"'s shrubbery

Option 1: Give them the Shrubberry:

-Gain one claim to that country's province
- -50 relation with said country
- -5 Prestige

Option 2: Say It to those knights

- 10 Military Points
- 1% Army Tradition

Last edited:
Societas Draconistrarum

Trigger: Must be Hungary, Wallachia, Serbia or Croatia. At war with Ottomans. Before 1516. Can trigger multiple times but only once per war.

Text: The Order of the Dragon was created to fight the enemies of Christendom. Let us call upon men loyal to the Order to aid us in our great battle against the vile Turks.

Option A: Request the Order advise you in military strategies.
+1 Morale for duration of war
Gain 20 Prestige
Loose 25 ducats

Option B: Implore the Order send a great general to lead our Armies.
Gain random general with 5/5/5/5
+25 Army Tradtion
Loose 25 Military Points
Loose 50 ducats
Loose 10 prestige

Option C: We do not need the help of this pompous order. We are well equipped to destroy the Turks ourselves.
Gain 25 prestige
Gain 25 Military Points
+10 Army Tradition

Here's mine:

Trigger:
Neighbouring country has hostile relation towards own county

Event Text:
Those godless men from <Country Name> have assassinated one of your advisors!
What will you do?

Option A: Those envious swines! Assassinate one of their advisors!
- Lose 5 Prestige
- Random advisor of <Country> dies!
- Random advisor of <Own Country> dies!

Option B: We will have our revenge soon enough...
- Get 'Dishonorable scum'/'Diplomatic Insult' Casus Belli on <Country Name>
- Get 5 Prestige

Option C: Forgive, forget.
- Get 10 Prestige
- +20 Relation Bonus with every neighbouring country

Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Trigger: Release the Rome province back to the Papacy from its enemies (releasing nation most be catholic)

Event text: With the return of the Pope to Rome the catholic world rejoices, none more than the Pope, who is eternally thankful:

Option A: Well yes I quess I am the most pious of kings.

Gain control of the Papacy
40 Prestige
+10 relations with all catholic nations

Option B: Quid pro quo

Be crowned emperor (in name only I quess so give the king +1 to all stats up to 6)
-20 relations with all catholic nations

Trigger:
-Is a republic
-Has its capital in a non-coastal trade node
-Income from trade is at least 50%

Event Text:
Our traders are doing the utmost to increase the income of the state, yet they are hindered in their efforts by our lack of seafaring capabilities. They have petitioned the government for aid.

Option A: What's wrong with the current state of affairs?
+15 Trade Power in home node for 5 years
-5 Trade Power in all foreign nodes for 5 years
+5 mercantilism

Option B: If there's more trade flowing here we can siphon off more!
+15% Trade Steering for 5 years
-5 Trade Power in home node for 5 years
-5 mercantilism

If optional choices are possible...

Option C (has same-culture, core provinces in a coastal trade node): Everything to please our traders!
-Move capital to random same-culture, core province in a coastal trade node
-1 stability
-1 year's income
+10% Global Trade Power for 5 years

The new King/Doge/Sultan already has an adviser!

Our new monarch has long listened to the sage advice of <insert name here>, often at the local pub, and now wants to make this adviser his official in charge of <Admin/Diplo/Military>. <Adviser name> fancies himself a <insert normal adviser Title here>. Failure to honor the new Monarch's request will cause him/her to be exceedingly skeptical of the person left in charge, and hostile to sound advice.

"I, too, do all my best thinking in the pub!"
- New random adviser [Skill Level 1] placed in the appropriate spot, cannot be fired [or cannot be fired for X years].

"Get that drunk out of here now!
- Monarch receives -1 to relevant skill [3y/5y/permanent if that's the only possibility]
- Or National Modifier which expires after 3y/5y - or on death of the Monarch - which reduces relevant skill by -1
- Or, existing Adviser's skill reduced by -1 [with no effect on his pay?] and he becomes unfireable for a time
[tooltip - "you said this guy was brilliant, now let him prove it."]

"Pay him to go away"
- Lose <X= a lot of> Ducats to make the drunk return to his old haunts

Mechanically I'm not sure what would be simplest to carry out the desire to reduce the monarch's skill in that category by -1. I'd suggest making the time significant, but not permanent. Event option three might be too easy, and perhaps should be eliminated. The idea isn't to make a "pay X ducats" event. It's to add a flavor event to the accession of a new monarch.

The odds of the event firing should depend on the age of the new monarch. I'd suggest (Age-15)*5% if the Monarch is under 25, if the monarch is 25 or over, then (50% - (Age-25)*5%). Which I think works out to zero at age 15, going up 5% per year to cap at 50% at age 25, and dropping by 5% per year to zero at age 35. Maybe have a minimum chance of 5%, too. There's probably a cleaner way to make the numbers work out the right way.

Trigger: No trigger required, as this event may happen to anyone.

Event Text: Bright blue streaks adorn the night sky as the stars fall from heaven itself, the peasants believe this to be a show of divine favour towards our nation.

Option A: Thank goodness there's more than one!
Gain 1 stability

Option B: What is everyone looking at? Servants, I want a bath drawn for me at once!
Gain 1 stability

Option C: Well, I am a pretty great ruler.
Gain 1 stability

Status
Not open for further replies.