• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Romanix90

Colonel
23 Badges
Feb 25, 2019
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
Now like the title says it would be cool to have a religius center for Orthodox nations like Constantinople or Moscow with effects diferent and playing into Orthodox faith. For example if Orthodox nation controls Constantinople it would get +1 Missionary and +1 Patriarchal Authority. The same would go with Moscow. After the fall of Constantinople it would be to Russia to lead Orthodox Christendom by gaining same effects. Also while at it Antioch would also be nice religius center exclusive to Catholics and Orthodox and Coptic nations. For example if Catholic or Coptic Controls Antioch they would get +1 Tolerance of true faith and +0,50 prestige, while for Orthodox instead of 0,50 prestige perhaps simply +1 PA. PA would be earned yearly for controling these centers of religion. What do you think ?

After i saw interest in this topic i decided to do 2nd and hopefuly last edit showing full CoR suggestion

For Orthodox :

Conquest of Constantinople

Prestige.png +0.5 Yearly prestige
Missionaries.png +1 Missionary
Patriarch authority.png+1 Yearly Patriarch Authority

Conquest of Moscow

Those two are same because i didn't want to overpower Moscow over Constantinople

Conquest of Kiev

Missionaries.png -5 Missionary Strengh
Legitimacy.png+1 Yearly Legitimacy

Basic text would go that Kiev is important CoR and it would be very dificult to convert

Shared between Orthodox and Coptic :

Orthodox/Coptic control of Alexandria

Tolerance own.png +1 Tolerance of the true faith

In the case of Alexandria it's debatable. Purely a suggestion. Also as for Orthodox they wouldn't get Tolerance own.png +1 Tolerance of the true faith

Shared between Catholic, Coptic and Orthodox :

Conquest of Antioch

Legitimacy.png+1 Yearly Legitimacy

In the case of Orthodox they would not get Legitimacy.png+1 Yearly Legitimacy

For Catholic :

Catholic control of Carthage/Tunis

Papal influence.png +1 Yearly papal influence

Icon legitimacy monarchy.png+1 Yearly Legitimacy

Now the reason why am i suggesting Tunis is it was once a major center of christianity under Latin Rite. Since EU4 is full of what if scenarios, where one can restore long gone Mongol Empire, or by miracle survive as East Roman Empire that you call Byzantium, why not give the players a little bit of a chalenge where they would go to restore once important religious center. Also while at it perhaps adding a event that renames Tunis to Carthage as long as it is in Catholic hands, that is once it is converted to Catholic faith and controled by Catholic nation.

Last edited:
  • 12Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I rarely live past 1650, but depending on the circumstances Religious - Naval or Defensive - Maritime or Espionage - Innovative - and then the Winged Ottomans arrive.
It would be nice if there was a nicer way of keeping the Orthodox island happy without raining gold and monarch points on missionaries and the "Greeks in the Order" decision since the Ottoman navy overwhelms mine even if they are at war with Venice and the Mamluks at the same time, but hopefully Emperor will finally give me a fighting chance. (And the opportunity of having a Highlander Grand Master...)

The only realistic way of expanding as the Knights as it is now requires you to prey on Byzantium, Venice and Cyprus as soon as the Winged Ottomans arrive, and if I make Byzantium my vassal (technically preferable to full annexation by the Turks, so somewhat forgivable, Rhodes aside) I would still be in a really weak position and with land directly next to the Ottomans. Not even Scotland and Brittany are that much surrounded, by thunder.

Religius is good choice. Amongs others for lower culture conversion, since its obvius what it does. When i play as Cyprus i refuse to convert Greeks/Romans to Catholicism, because i feel like those guys suffer enough to be under Ottoman rule. Instead i keep Orthodox faith. Like you, if i understood wright, i tolerate Orthodox faith and Greek culture.

Perhaps try with Knights following ideas : 1. Naval, 2. Humanist, 3. Defensive, 4. Exploration - since crusader states are geting new mission tree, amongst others ''Knights of the New World'', where i presume you'll do colonizing and discovering Fountain of Youth. 5. Quantity, 6. Economic, 7. Quality and 8. Trade. Trade idea is realy one of the best to solve your money problems. And it helps alot. But again i say once you form Jerusalem and reach 7th idea Ottos don't have much chance against you in 1 vs 1. Also in one ocasion i secured Alexandria, created land conection to it, promoted Egyptians and converted them to Catholic. I builded Suez canal, where i let Ottos deplet themselves with my Forts while my armie are in Egypt, protected by my mighty navy and Suez canal. Basicaly all they could do was to attack my heartland, while not being able to cross Suez canal. Later on i ofcourse release armies of Crusaders to hunt them down and liberate the Holy Land and humiliate them. This is of course only game. I don't want to insult anyone.

(...) 1. Naval, 2. Humanist, 3. Defensive, 4. Exploration - since crusader states are geting new mission tree, amongst others ''Knights of the New World'', where i presume you'll do colonizing and discovering Fountain of Youth. 5. Quantity, 6. Economic, 7. Quality and 8. Trade. (...)

Historically, the Order had colonies in the Caribbean, mas I have absolutely no opening for that from the eastern Mediterranean. Owning Malta would make things so much easier.
And a monastic order with Humanist ideas? That makes even less sense than a protestant Granada republic in Mexico (it happened).

Historically, the Order had colonies in the Caribbean, mas I have absolutely no opening for that from the eastern Mediterranean. Owning Malta would make things so much easier.
And a monastic order with Humanist ideas? That makes even less sense than a protestant Granada republic in Mexico (it happened).

Humanist is there mainly to take care of rebellion. It also decrease tech cost by -10% if I'm not mistaken. Even though it doesn't make sense and one may instead go for Religious idea, you all ready get powerful National ideas regarding the religion. For example Jerusalem tradition gives you +2% Missionary strength and +1 Tolerance of heathens and finally Land of the Heathen gives you additional +1 Missionary. Now you have to remember that by simply owning Jerusalem you get 1 more Missionary, making them total 3.

Humanist is there mainly to take care of rebellion. It also decrease tech cost by -10% if I'm not mistaken. Even though it doesn't make sense and one may instead go for Religious idea, you all ready get powerful National ideas regarding the religion. For example Jerusalem tradition gives you +2% Missionary strength and +1 Tolerance of heathens and finally Land of the Heathen gives you additional +1 Missionary. Now you have to remember that by simply owning Jerusalem you get 1 more Missionary, making them total 3.

Keeping in mind that I am talking about the game, I really need all the missionaries I can get in order to convert all assorted Protestant and Christian-turned-Muslim provinces back.
I never actually got to form Jerusalem. Not sure if I want to, it should be possible to release them without forsaking the Order. I mean, someone has to avenge the knights at Torpichen and Brandenburg, and so forth.

A really pitty the mechanics do not allow you to convert provinces to religions that not your state one. Really wish I could spread Judaism and Orthodox/Coptic were their presence is due. But again, Paradox seems to love erasing Jewish history.

Keeping in mind that I am talking about the game, I really need all the missionaries I can get in order to convert all assorted Protestant and Christian-turned-Muslim provinces back.
I never actually got to form Jerusalem. Not sure if I want to, it should be possible to release them without forsaking the Order. I mean, someone has to avenge the knights at Torpichen and Brandenburg, and so forth.

A really pitty the mechanics do not allow you to convert provinces to religions that not your state one. Really wish I could spread Judaism and Orthodox/Coptic were their presence is due. But again, Paradox seems to love erasing Jewish history.

That's the other thing. Then i guess that you do need Religous. To think i never actually played as The Knights. Might give them a try.

Reactions:
It's kind of a strange hodgepodge that Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca each give Orthodox nations a missionary, but Alexandria and Antioch only contribute one as part of the Pentarchy Triggered Modifier.

Reactions:
It's kind of a strange hodgepodge that Rome, Jerusalem and Mecca each give Orthodox nations a missionary, but Alexandria and Antioch only contribute one as part of the Pentarchy Triggered Modifier.

Alexandria is debatable, but Antioch . In my opinion Antioch should also be CoR besides being part of Pentarchy. Also while at it i once suggested that city/province of Tunis (Carthage) be CoR exclusive to Catholic nations.

I am almost sure Tunis was granted to the Knights alongside Malta.
And again, Alexandria has s2 the Library s2.

With Tunis i was thinking something like this :

Conquest of Carthage

Prestige.png +
0.5 Yearly prestige

Also while at it perhaps event regarding Archdiocese of Carthage that would rename Tunis to Carthage and grant you +2 Missionary strenght so you can convert other provinces or something like that.

Reactions:
With Tunis i was thinking something like this :

Conquest of Carthage

Prestige.png +
0.5 Yearly prestige

Also while at it perhaps event regarding Archdiocese of Carthage that would rename Tunis to Carthage and grant you +2 Missionary strenght so you can convert other provinces or something like that.

Unless my memory fails me, I think Saint Augustine was bishop of Carthage. That and holding it against Islamic presence it Africa should give more legitimacy and maybe no prestige, or the other around?
I will have to research what exactly the Spaniards and Knights did while there.

Unless my memory fails me, I think Saint Augustine was bishop of Carthage. That and holding it against Islamic presence it Africa should give more legitimacy and maybe no prestige, or the other around?
I will have to research what exactly the Spaniards and Knights did while there.

0.5 prestige is there for controling that city/province. It's like in the case of Alexandria if you're Coptic (Miaphysite) if i'm not mistaken. Please do reseaech, perhaps you're wright.