• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

grandsteed

Les catholiques de la contre-réforme
Aug 15, 2019
I have to bring this up because it is the number one issue I've had with Eu2, and it has always been there. When waging war in Italian provinces my game crashes frequently. More often than not I have to face multiple crashes during the same war. I had thought it was just my age-old Windows install, but as I've started to play a bit on my Macs, the same exact thing is happening. Different game versions too, but I know the latest patch does not fix it.

It happens in all provinces that correlate to modern Italy, from Savoy to Venetia and the whole way down. I can play in Italy without fighting wars, and the game rarely crashes. Something about combat. I've invaded it from every angle and ended up with the same result. I just wanted to see if anyone here can recall a similar experience and explain their story or provide a remedy of some kind.

Edit: It does not matter what year it is in game, crashes happen all thru 1819

The latest version of EU2 is 1.09

Are you playing the vanilla game or are you using any modifications to the game?

Does the game crash with any errormessage or is there anything in the games logfiles?

Are you running any other programs simultaneously with EU2?
What Windows version exactly?

The latest version of EU2 is 1.09

Are you playing the vanilla game or are you using any modifications to the game?

Does the game crash with any errormessage or is there anything in the games logfiles?

Are you running any other programs simultaneously with EU2?
What Windows version exactly?
The crash happens on both 1.08 and 1.09. I have not installed any mods to my copies in question, I used FTG for mods. I do not run any other programs when playing, other than background processes for applets. The crashes happen on Windows 2000, Windows XP, as well as Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.9. I own four discs and installs from all are compromised.

Frankly, I should have been saving my logs, because I believe they clear upon a new session. I have blank log files on Windows. I did have a Mac install crash the first (and last) time I played, it is likewise empty so the error is not being printed on a Mac. The game never shows any error message, just closes outright.

The crash happens on both 1.08 and 1.09.
That may be. But to make sure that it is not related to a bug that had already been solved the first step is to make sure the latest patch is installed.

I have not installed any mods to my copies in question, I used FTG for mods.
copies? Do you have EU2 installed several times on your PC?

I have played games in which I e.g. as Austria or the Anjou conquered the italian states and did not have constant or regular crashes during wars. So the reason might be found rather on your PC than in the game.
What operating system is installed on the PC you use for playing? Windows XP SP3?
Are you running an unusual screen resolution that the original game did not support?

That may be. But to make sure that it is not related to a bug that had already been solved the first step is to make sure the latest patch is installed.

copies? Do you have EU2 installed several times on your PC?

I have played games in which I e.g. as Austria or the Anjou conquered the italian states and did not have constant or regular crashes during wars. So the reason might be found rather on your PC than in the game.
What operating system is installed on the PC you use for playing? Windows XP SP3?
Are you running an unusual screen resolution that the original game did not support?
When I say copies, I mean I have multiple computers from which I play the game, but I’ve installed the game from different discs in each instance. All of them are on XP SP3 or the latest service pack for 2000. None of them have connected to the internet for the last 5 years or so. I play at 1024x768 on Windows which is the default resolution, 1280x1024 on Mac.

As for patches, I mainly play 1.08 because I don’t like the walkable straits that were added in 1.09, however on Mac only 1.09 can be played on an Intel computer so I play that. When I did have 1.09 on Windows it was still there.

The only thing I can think of would be somehow my save game files are causing instability, but it would be odd.

When I say copies, I mean I have multiple computers from which I play the game, but I’ve installed the game from different discs in each instance. All of them are on XP SP3 or the latest service pack for 2000. None of them have connected to the internet for the last 5 years or so. I play at 1024x768 on Windows which is the default resolution, 1280x1024 on Mac.

As for patches, I mainly play 1.08 because I don’t like the walkable straits that were added in 1.09, however on Mac only 1.09 can be played on an Intel computer so I play that. When I did have 1.09 on Windows it was still there.

The only thing I can think of would be somehow my save game files are causing instability, but it would be odd.
Why not play 1.09 and mod the straits that you do not like out?