• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sigilstone17

Corporal
52 Badges
Mar 19, 2020
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
Achievements are up for Apocalypse yet there's no word on a release date so why are we waiting for content that's over two years old? This was sold as "a complete experience" but now I'm feeling like "false advertising" is more accurate.

Reactions:
The achievements were added with the 2.2 update, the DLC is still in development.

Based on the fact that all the trophies are there all the way to Megacorp, and that when I bought Year 2, it was active instantly without having to download anything else, I have to wonder about the development still being in progress because all of this smells a lot like all the data is in the game files and on your console, but just locked behind a paywall. Which is one way to do it, I guess but it's pretty shady.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Please keep posts on topic and productive.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's just how they chose to develop the console version and get us caught up. Id much rather have these large patches that give us the compatibility for many future dlcs and then release the dlcs one at a time as they develop them then to have them update each dlc/version of the game seperately which tends to create new bugs every patch you need to deal with. Atleast this way the overall patch can be more stable because they don't need a new free update patch for every dlc. I think we are good for the next 5 dlcs counting synthetic dawn. I'm just hoping we get federations/lithoids/relics in the future as well. The origin civics look interesting.

Im really not sure what to say other than that you are looking for something to complain about. The company was clearly unaware if they were ever going to give us more than the first expansion pass. All that time likely didnt have any development going on as they evaluated sales. Now they know expansion pass 2 and 3 are viable given we have 2.2 which supports Megacorp. They never promised us pairity and its better for them to have a solid date rather than give us a day and miss the release and be forced to delay. I get being upset if you like something and want more content but lets not bitch out a company so much for giving us what we wanted but not fast enough leading them to deciding that giving us full parity in the future isnt worth it. You may be fine with that, Im certainly not. Id rather get content slow then content never.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Based on the fact that all the trophies are there all the way to Megacorp, and that when I bought Year 2, it was active instantly without having to download anything else, I have to wonder about the development still being in progress because all of this smells a lot like all the data is in the game files and on your console, but just locked behind a paywall. Which is one way to do it, I guess but it's pretty shady.

Locked behind a paywall?

Did you expect to get it all for free or what?

The reason it's there already is so that the AI can always use it and they don't have to design and balance multiple versions depending on what DLC you have.

Locked behind a paywall?

Did you expect to get it all for free or what?

The reason it's there already is so that the AI can always use it and they don't have to design and balance multiple versions depending on what DLC you have.

You've missed the point of my comment entirely.
My current theory is that all of the data is already there in the software, and all that is required to play it is an unlock code in the form of the DLC or season pass. Obviously I'm not stupid enough to think I'd get any of it for free, but I am smart enough to know that devs pull this kind of stunt all the time and it's always shady and anti-consumer because the implication is that they're lying about "further development" and thus being dishonest with their customers.
Your reason also doesn't make sense, because I wouldn't exactly be happy with AI empires in this version running around with Titans, Collossi and building Ecumenopolii everywhere, thankfully though they aren't doing that because that would be dumb. If there is a reason for having all the data already in the sotware, locked behind the code it's going to be for deadlines and ease of updates without lumping users with a giant update everytime they want to patch something or add another DLC which I get from a development viewpoint, but from a consumer viewpoint, it's hard not to be skeptical or feel like we've been misled. As I've said before, I actually do hope I'm wrong about all of this because I'd like to think the best of Paradox and Tantalus.

Reactions:
TWO YEARS. The development was done TWO YEARS ago. There's no excuse for this.

the dlc is being released in the same order as it did on pc, synthetic dawn, humanoid pack, Apocalypse, Distant stars and then Megacorp.

the AI empires that have titans, colossus etc are the Fallen empires in fact Fallen empires have had Titans since 1.7 which was the console version at launch, those AI empires have restricted ship types and currently only they can use those ships with fixed loadouts , those ships were previously not designed for player or non-fallen AI empires to use, heck we can't even build dreadnoughts but they have been in the game since leviathans.

TL;dr the devs are taking their time to adjust those ship types for player and non-fallen empire use, also to ensure that they are properly balanced and tested.

Reactions:
Another example of the above - Ringworlds were in the game (talking PC here) before the Utopia expansion gave players the ability to construct them. Giving us that ability involved a lot more than flicking a switch in the code.

And just because can't emphasise this enough - you do not want the devs pushing out content before it's ready. Trust me on this.

It's just generally not uncommon for elements of unreleased content to be in the live code for a game but disabled due to being unfinished. What has been presented here just isn't good evidence for the claim being made.

the AI empires that have titans, colossus etc are the Fallen empires in fact Fallen empires have had Titans since 1.7

I don't know what game you're playing but I haven't seen a single Colossus ship in this version of the game. Not even used by an FE. Titans, yes. Colossus? Nope.
Can someone actually confirm that there are Colussus ships currently the game and used by FEs with screenshots? I find it incredibly hard to believe that I've missed an entire ship-type over 7 games, 5 of which were at Grand Admiral difficulty.

I don't know what game you're playing but I haven't seen a single Colossus ship in this version of the game. Not even used by an FE. Titans, yes. Colossus? Nope.
Can someone actually confirm that there are Colussus ships currently the game and used by FEs with screenshots? I find it incredibly hard to believe that I've missed an entire ship-type over 7 games, 5 of which were at Grand Admiral difficulty.

i was referring to Fallen Empires having titans since 1.7, there are some old posts from Reddit, Steam and this forum from the pc version of 2.2 referencing Fallen and Awaken empires having Colossus ships without the player having the DLC.

and also this post on steam

and finally a post from this forum

Titans, Collossi and building Ecumenopolii everywhere,

Just FYI polis is a Greek, not Latin, word. Ergo, it is not pluralized in that way. In English, generally you would pluralize it as a native English word. So just Ecumenopolises please. If you must use the Greek form it would be Ecumenopoleis

Thank you for attending my classical languages Ted Talk.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Just FYI polis is a Greek, not Latin, word. Ergo, it is not pluralized in that way. In English, generally you would pluralize it as a native English word. So just Ecumenopolises please. If you must use the Greek form it would be Ecumenopoleis

Thank you for attending my classical languages Ted Talk.

I was going by what I've heard some Youtubers refer to multiple Ecumenopolis worlds as and went with it. Nevertheless, you still understood what I was referencing, so the pedantic post seems pretty pointless in retrospect.

Reactions:
Based on my knowledge of how patches on PS work, the OP is almost certainly correct. The content is there, just locked (though it may not be USEFUL, more below). This is actually demonstrated in game with various locked content on display via ai empires. A standard non-ancient empire can build titan construction buildings on spaceports. I don't think they can actually produce titans, at least I haven't seen any get produced by non-ancient ai empires, but they have the techs and equipment to. Other features like scenarios are also active for ai empires. Game I just finished had some dudes starting on a 25 tile gaia with gas crystal and motes in the planet features. The fact you can't find abandoned megastructures anywhere, with the exception of gates, also suggests that all the content is there and it's just locked/turned off for performance and/or stability reasons.
The following is speculation couched in experience and knowledge and memory but is still speculation. The reason is most likely that Sony and MS both require finances to publish content patches on a system. So to save money, Paradox released a patch that included the content (which happened before the synthetic dawn content was unlocked and playable) but is locked so they can just release unlock keys to the content later instead of having to patch it in and pay for it. It could be that is the end of the reasoning, though it is more likely it's just the beginning. If Paradox is still doing QC on the content then releasing it in the wild is not going to be a good move. This way they can continue testing the content without risking making the game unplayable for the public. And still not spend as much on the content as they would if they released each dlc as a standalone patch.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The following is speculation couched in experience and knowledge and memory but is still speculation. The reason is most likely that Sony and MS both require finances to publish content patches on a system.

In the x360 era this was the case for ALL developers Microsoft charged 10,000-40,000 dollars every Title Update and every patch. It was dropped for a time after a very small Indi developer refused to patch a game breaking bug because of the massive charge. All charges have been completely eliminated for the ID@Xbox developers. But I think for AAA devs there is still a small charge for any TU (content) update, but not for patches. So Yes in theory bundling Season 2 and 3 into a single TU might be cost effective for Paradox.

Slick, in your op complaint about "paywall" or charging for DLC. Stellaris (base game) is free on Xbox (or PC) with Game Pass (or a Game Pass Ultimate) subscription. So buying extra content supports the developer. And 2 Years ago they were very specific what content was going to be included with no promise of any more. Console players should be happy it obviously did well enough to bring all the dlc over.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Slick, in your op complaint about "paywall" or charging for DLC. Stellaris (base game) is free on Xbox (or PC) with Game Pass (or a Game Pass Ultimate) subscription. So buying extra content supports the developer. And 2 Years ago they were very specific what content was going to be included with no promise of any more. Console players should be happy it obviously did well enough to bring all the dlc over.

That wasn't my complaint, and I wasn't even the OP - and quite frankly I'm getting sick of everyone trying to misrepresent what I said. The only person who seemed to understand what I was getting at was Vastet, and even at that I was only voicing a theory that all of the data was already on my console, but required an "unlock" in the form of the season pass. I bought the season pass and I was happy to - I have not once complained about the price of DLC, having to buy the season passes or supporting the devs because it may shock you to learn that I actually love the game; I paid full price for the Deluxe Edition, bought the Year 2 pass as soon as it was active on the PSN store, and when a Year 3 pass comes, I'll buy that too. I also said that I hoped my theory was wrong because I wanted to give the devs the benefit of the doubt. I'm done responding to this now.

Last edited: