• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Console Dev Diary #9 - Marauders and the Great Khan

Hello Console Fans!

Community Manager AC here, with another Stellaris: Console Edition Dev Diary! Today we’re going to be talking about a new feature coming in the Apocalypse Expansion, the Marauders, and a new mid-game crisis, the Great Khan. But first, we have some more details about the 2.2 Update that, again, we didn’t have time to share before release.

Piracy Rework (Free in Console Edition 2.2)

Some of you may have already noticed a few more pirates around your galaxies. In the current version of Console Edition, after the Birth of Space Piracy event has fired, Pirates will be able to spawn in empty systems bordering your empire. These pirates will attack your systems and pillage your stations until they are destroyed, and will grow stronger the later you are in the game. They are especially likely to spawn in empty systems that are fully surrounded by your borders.

Marauders (Paid Apocalypse Feature)

Marauders are a new type of nomadic non-playable empire that those with the Apocalypse Expansion can encounter in the galaxy. They are a relatively technologically primitive FTL civilizations that gave up planetary living in favor of living on ships and stations in a handful of resource-rich systems. They subsist mainly on raiding each other and extorting tributes from settled empires, and are hardy warriors and expert ship crew, who manage to muster impressive fleets, despite their relative lack of technology.

Marauders are always hostile to regular empires, but will generally stay in their systems unless they are raiding, or the Great Khan has risen (more on this later).

2 - marauder contact.png

Marauders will occasionally set out to raid settled empires that they have established contact with, before raiding they will give their target empire a chance to pay them off with tribute in the form of food, energy or minerals. If you refuse, they will send a fleet to your empire’s territory, pillaging stations and raiding planets, stopping only when they are either destroyed or are satisfied with the amount of booty they have amassed. Settled empires can also pay a Marauder empire to conduct a raid on one of their rivals, to divert attention from themselves as well as potentially weakening their military and economy. A Marauder empire can be wiped out by destroying all stations and ships in their home systems, but these systems are well defended and will take a powerful mid to late game navy to deal with.

4 - diplomacy.png

Settled empires can also enlist the aid of Marauders as mercenaries. At the start of the game, Marauder Admirals and Generals can be hired, these leaders have a high starting skill and special traits, and after a certain amount of time has passed, the ability to hire Marauder fleets will also be unlocked. Marauder fleets cost a large sum of energy up front, but you do not pay upkeep on their ships and do not count towards your naval cap. They also cannot be merged, split or disbanded, and have a leader that cannot be reassigned. This fleet will be hired for five years, at the end of which time, you will either have to renew the agreement or the fleet will return to the Marauder you hired it from.

5 - hire leader.png

The Great Khan (Paid Apocalypse Feature)

This is an event chain that can trigger after a set amount of time has passed, where one of the Marauder empires unifies under a Great Khan. Once this happens, the Marauder empire becomes a Horde, and will begin expanding in all directions, claiming empty systems and sending fleets to destroy the Starbases of any empire that will not submit to the Khan. At any time, it is possible for a regular empire to submit to the Khan and become a Satrapy, a type of subject that has to pay part of its income and naval capacity in tribute to the Khan, but is otherwise left to its own devices. The Horde will grow stronger for every system it conquers and Satrapy it acquires, but it is a fragile construct, held together only by the personality of the Khan. If the Great Khan is killed in battle or falls victim to disease or assassination, the Horde will collapse, at which point one of several things will happen to the Horde and its Satrapies: It may dissolve into a myriad of squabbling successor states, or a new, democratic Federation may form out of its ashes. Regardless, the appearance of the Khan and the Horde is sure to shake up the galactic scene of any game in which it makes an appearance.

7 - great khan ship.jpg

That’s it for this week. We have one more Dev Diary next Monday, before the Apocalypse Expansion and Humanoids Species Pack release on June 25th! Next week’s Dev Diary will be on two of the biggest (pun intended!) features of the Apocalypse Expansion, Titans and Colossus!

• 7Like
  • 2Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Holy Moses, these new features sound awesome. The marauders and their mechanics sound great. They remind me of a more complex form of Civ’s barbarians. I can just imagine them being left unchecked and just becoming a huge uncontrollable blob.

The great Khan sounds fab too, making the marauder blob even stronger, and the random fallout if the Khan is killed is pretty cool too.

Will the Marauders and Khan have unique ships etc?

Holy Moses, these new features sound awesome. The marauders and their mechanics sound great. They remind me of a more complex form of Civ’s barbarians. I can just imagine them being left unchecked and just becoming a huge uncontrollable blob.

The great Khan sounds fab too, making the marauder blob even stronger, and the random fallout if the Khan is killed is pretty cool too.

Pretty sure all these features are on PC for a while now. you could check wiki for them.

At the start of the game they just occupy a few systems. If you border them they will periodically demand tribute or else. They roughly have mid tier equipment so can be a pain to fight. Their ships are space pirate ships

I can just imagine them being left unchecked and just becoming a huge uncontrollable blob.
*laughs in PTSD*

Yes.

At the start of the game they just occupy a few systems. If you border them they will periodically demand tribute or else. They roughly have mid tier equipment so can be a pain to fight. Their ships are space pirate ships
You do get some neat events if you border them though, like free resources or a free fleet. Plus if you border them, when the Khan rises you can smother him in the cradle rather than when he's on the other side of the galaxy and becomes an unstoppable armada of doom.

• 2Like
Reactions:
*laughs in PTSD*

Yes.

You do get some neat events if you border them though, like free resources or a free fleet. Plus if you border them, when the Khan rises you can smother him in the cradle rather than when he's on the other side of the galaxy and becomes an unstoppable armada of doom.
Thank you for helping me out, greatly appreciated.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you for the suggestion but I don’t play the PC version. I use the console edition forums and the console edition wiki, just because it’s easier for me to understand the features of the console edition.

but mechanically it works the same, from what I see, just buttons changed for the controller. But overall, just looks the same tbh. Just suggesting, you know? You could always check out PC forums and see what'll be coming. Someday Console version will catch up with PC.

Actually am curious, will Ck3 be on consoles too?

Hello, I have a 2.0 ironman save that I really like which is paused about 2 years before the mid game crisis is set to trigger. Will I be able to get the Great Khan in that game or will I have to make a new one? And if yes, will I have to make a new one again when Titans drop?

Hello, I have a 2.0 ironman save that I really like which is paused about 2 years before the mid game crisis is set to trigger. Will I be able to get the Great Khan in that game or will I have to make a new one? And if yes, will I have to make a new one again when Titans drop?

Marauder empires won't have spawned in that galaxy, so you will definitely have to restart to trigger the Great Khan. Not sure about Titans/Colossus, but as a rule we don't guarantee save compatibility, there's just too many moving parts.

Hope this helps!

Marauder empires won't have spawned in that galaxy, so you will definitely have to restart to trigger the Great Khan. Not sure about Titans/Colossus, but as a rule we don't guarantee save compatibility, there's just too many moving parts.

Hope this helps!

Yea you know, I just bit the bullet and started a new game. It's always hard saying bye to an old world but then it's so exciting to start a new one. Thanks for the reply. I wish we could get Federations on console now too. I actually use the current Fedration system in most games, people seem to underestimate the value of the upkeep free Federation Fleet. Anyways, got some Space Mongolians to go kill now, thanks again!

• 1Like
Reactions:
but mechanically it works the same, from what I see, just buttons changed for the controller. But overall, just looks the same tbh. Just suggesting, you know? You could always check out PC forums and see what'll be coming. Someday Console version will catch up with PC.

Actually am curious, will Ck3 be on consoles too?

Probably not.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yea you know, I just bit the bullet and started a new game. It's always hard saying bye to an old world but then it's so exciting to start a new one. Thanks for the reply. I wish we could get Federations on console now too. I actually use the current Fedration system in most games, people seem to underestimate the value of the upkeep free Federation Fleet. Anyways, got some Space Mongolians to go kill now, thanks again!
Edit: I was wrong I just got the titan research option on a game pre update

Last edited: