• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to following this adventure.

Well Avi, you're one up me on Norse Mythology. Only Marvel Norse for me, unless the game of Age of Mythology counts. And Thor 2 is definitely worth watching.

ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!!!!!!

Excellent! Butt kicking for goodness!

You said extending to the Angevin Empire's borders, but what about Canute/Knut's empire? He ruled England, Denmark, and Norway at the height of his power, and that empire would put you in control of two out of five holy sites, with a chance of going after Holland or northern Germany for the third, all while having a nice looking empire.

I thought about his Empire too, and it's definitely a possible outcome. A lot depends on luck, of course, but if I find myself in possession of more bits of Scandinavia, I'll lean towards the North Sea Empire.

I wish you the best of luck and I look forward to following this adventure.

Thank you!

Well Avi, you're one up me on Norse Mythology. Only Marvel Norse for me, unless the game of Age of Mythology counts. And Thor 2 is definitely worth watching.

ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!!!!!!!

A lot of great movies have had the audacity to be released while I'm in Russia, and surprisingly few movie theaters show them in English. I did see the second Hobbit movie in Russian, which was pretty terrific, but for certain movies my Russian just isn't good enough.

I'm gonna love this Avi. Just take it easy on the Welsh, we never got much of a break OTL ;)

Noted. ;)

I'm here now. You can officially start the party. :D

It's about time! You're bringing the beer, right? (I've tried mead and I hate it, so we'll stick with beer.)

Excellent! Butt kicking for goodness!

Glad to have you along!

Following!

Fantastic!

I am siked for this one! The Allfather demands the blood of the dead God's followers! They must return to the old ways!

They'd better, if they know what's good for them!

i don't know if the movie thor is the right source for knowledge of the norse mythology but i guess it could be worse :D
anyway i don't really care if everything is right as long as it makes a good story which i'm certain it will.
so subbed ;)

1. Conquer the kingdom of Northumbria.
Petty kingdom. Called duchy by the White Christ.

I thought about his Empire too, and it's definitely a possible outcome. A lot depends on luck, of course, but if I find myself in possession of more bits of Scandinavia, I'll lean towards the North Sea Empire.
If you plan on reforming (which is strongly encouraged for a megacampaign), better go for Knut's empire. Angevin Empire + Reformed Norse either produces OP vikings or ugly borders.

It's about time! You're bringing the beer, right? (I've tried mead and I hate it, so we'll stick with beer.)
The White Christ's drink!? Go away infidel.

i don't know if the movie thor is the right source for knowledge of the norse mythology but i guess it could be worse :D
anyway i don't really care if everything is right as long as it makes a good story which i'm certain it will.
so subbed ;)

I loved (and still do love) Greek and Roman mythology as a kid, but Norse mythology just didn't have the same resonance. Not sure why.

If you plan on reforming (which is strongly encouraged for a megacampaign), better go for Knut's empire. Angevin Empire + Reformed Norse either produces OP vikings or ugly borders.

The White Christ's drink!? Go away infidel.

Yeah, I think the North Sea Empire will be my target instead; the only reason I originally hesitated was it excluded Scotland and Ireland. So, I shall edit the main page to reflect this.

The Babylonians brewed beer way before the infidels even existed. I'd say it's just as pagan as mead.

I loved (and still do love) Greek and Roman mythology as a kid, but Norse mythology just didn't have the same resonance. Not sure why.

Yeah, I think the North Sea Empire will be my target instead; the only reason I originally hesitated was it excluded Scotland and Ireland. So, I shall edit the main page to reflect this.

The Babylonians brewed beer way before the infidels even existed. I'd say it's just as pagan as mead.

Okay, fine. Form the North Sea Empire, but Scotland and Ireland have to fall before 1701. Fair trade? :p

Perfectly reasonable to include Ireland and Scotland, or parts thereof in a Norse Empire.

Yay, another Avindian AAR! I loved your Japan AAR, and this certainly looks like an interesting premise. I certainly hope you'll be able to continue this through EU4, Vicky2 (or 3?) and HOI3 or 4. Let's hope you aren't crusaded to death before then. At least you're not at risk from an Aztec Invasion. Good luck! May Odin grant you the wisdom to do make the right decisions, and may Thor grant you the strength to destroy your enemies!

First of all, Norse mythology is far more brutal - and parents inclined to keep brutal stuff away from their children.
And then there are simply language barriers:
Latin is still used as a spoken language by a few thousand people (mainly within Vatican City), Ancient Greek isn't that different to modern Greek (probably similar to Czech/Slovakian). Norse is as related to Norwegian and Swedish as German is to the various Germanic dialects. On top of that, Norse folks weren't all that good in writing their history - they're far better in telling.

First of all, Norse mythology is far more brutal - and parents inclined to keep brutal stuff away from their children.
And then there are simply language barriers:
Latin is still used as a spoken language by a few thousand people (mainly within Vatican City), Ancient Greek isn't that different to modern Greek (probably similar to Czech/Slovakian). Norse is as related to Norwegian and Swedish as German is to the various Germanic dialects. On top of that, Norse folks weren't all that good in writing their history - they're far better in telling.

True, although i really would recommend reading up on Norse mythology and cosmology, I always find it incredibly fascinating. Anyway, I'm definitely following this!

When I was a kid (and still am), my parents gave us tons of stuff about both Norse and Greek/Roman mythology. Ever heard of the Percy Jackson series? Our entire family loves those, and my youngest sister, 8 years, just read a huge book on all norse myths. :D That story about Loki placing a bet where, if he was wrong, his head would be cut off. He was wrong, but he said they couldn't cut off his head since that would require his neck as well to be cut off. So they just sewed his mouth shut. Gotta love those myths.

May as well have both and get completely wasted like a good viking. Then make a sacrifice to Odin for good measure. :p