• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(82135)

Private
Aug 12, 2007
i'm in the middle of a game as germany right now, but the same problem occured (to a lesser degree) in my previous game as brazil.

i'm a fairly aggressive player, more than willing to go to war, take territory, satellite nations and generally play the part of a warmongerer in vicky, but has anyone found it difficult to 'stop' as it were? conquest and expansion is nice, but as anyone experienced in the game knows, constant warfare can be a bit tiresome. it's difficult to consolidate gaines, build up an ecomony and keep your population in line. in my most recent game (as germany) i've been forced to keep up a 300+ division army/navy to keep my enemies at bay and, unfortunately, balance my budget the only way i've found possible anymore, which is the accquisition of new lands to feed my military machine. i would love to stop, as since the three hurrahs! event, i've fought russia (satelliting her), absorbed austria and rumania into the greater reich (that huge gray glob looks so nice on the map) and taken considerable portions of serbia and bulgaria. france has declared three colonial wars on them, and i've won each one (in the last one, i divested her of her entire colonial empire and destroyed her navy, leaving the majority of her armies trapped in my new far flung colonial possessions and slowly withering away due to attrition). most of central africa belongs to me as well as zanzibar, and i attacked argentina (a great power) for some land in the americas to possibly garner some immigration (satellited the remainder of the nation as well) for a possible launching point into resource rich brazil. i dare not reduce my armed forces, as i need their size to keep my only true rival, great britain, at arms length. only problem is, i'm operating at near a 500 lb a day deficit. i have to keep tarrifs up for income, but this is making my pops unhappy, making a considerable home "police force" a necessity.

any suggestions for balancing the budget? i have a 190,000,000 pop, 96.7 percent literacy rate, my rail net will be 100% upgraded to the max in a month and have an industrial rating of 1927. still am an absolute monarchy with laize faire econ policy though. the year is 1900 and i want to wait at least a couple years before i attempt the final push in my goals for the game, which is the unification (in one way or another, of europe) and either taking on the USA or the British.

ran into a similar conquest complex in a previous game as brazil, but managed to have it work out for my benefit, as i was predominantly a resource exporter to the european powers, which netted me huge profits as i took control of south america, marched my way up the central american isthmus and eventually took most of the american southwest before taking on the USA in a successful war that netted me the west coast and most of the american south.

anyone else had games where economics forced them to war?

peace,
Bender

Your industrial score is low, that's why you have monetary problems. Stop relying on L-F and switch to state capitalism or planned economy. Then focus on building and upgrading profitable factory chains. Also split pops when they grow over 40k in size so you can fill more factories and RGO slots. You could have much higher ind score with only your original population.

You should also switch from absolute monarchy to constitutional monarchy or democracy, that will solve your militancy problems. Your plurality is probably pretty high by now, so you get a nasty militancy modifier for beeing in absolute monarchy.

Yeah you need more industry. Are you playing with the Revolutions addon? Because your capitalists should be building factories for you.

by this point in the game you should as germany be a massive industrial power, it sounds like you aren't though. the above posts are right you need more money making industry. normally in my germany games i can support 500+ divisions from just germany alone...

At that point in game, you'll have to work hard, but if all your neighbors (anyone owning some province bordering any of your provinces, one's enough) are friendly (satelite or ally) will it work

It's easier to play a peaceful game all from the beginning, but it will work

HUGE standing army! Bad leader! Bad! :p

You should have every mother in the nation pissed at you for keeping their boys in uniform too long.

Build up your mobilization pool to keep your military score high and as you do start reducing your standing army size. Plus, I believe you will see your manpower pool increase as you reduce your army, so you will eventually be able to convert some of you soldier pops back into productive citizens, assuming you have the proper party in power to do so. This reduces the drain on your economy by reducing army maintenance costs and increasing productivity. You will start seeing your nation bringing in profits by the ton. As you profits increase, you should be able to reduce tariffs and taxes to reduce the economic load you are placing your pops under which will eventually cause them to get a bit happier.

Only demote those divisions lacking any added brigades. Keep the brigaded divisions in your standing army. Check the ledger and bring your national army strength back to match those of your other GP neighbors. Should war break out where you actually need the extra divisions, mobilize.

Then, you will start to see that you do not have to be a warmonger to be leader of the world. You just need to have a significant military presence in addition to having prestige and industry. ;)

I've never had economics drive me to war in Victoria. Quite the contrary, as I find that being a warmonger is definitely a detriment to economic growth. My impetus for war is usually driven by:

A.) A need for an increase in soldier pops to increase my manpower pool. This is easily accomplished by a gradual takeover of SE Asian nations such as Siam , or any of her neighbors. Then my citizens can be taken off of active duty by converting my soldier pops in my home country to whatever type of productive pop I happen to be short of. One has to be a bit careful with this, because I believe there is always a need for some of your home citizens to be soldiers.

B.) A need for some RGO resource to reduce imports or supply factories or supply pop needs.

C.) A need for a decent naval port in an area for colonization.

D.) A need for an increase in prestige beyond what I will get for having defense spending at max and whatever prestige I might get from cultural tech. In my opinion, prestige is much more important in Victoria than increasing one's national borders.

Just my 2 cents worth. :D

Heh, sounds like your new to Vicky, don't worry you will get better.

The big problem here, like said, is your industrial score, your way way behind. First thing is to balance your budget which should be able to do by taxing everyone to 50% an removing your army maintenance. Once that is done you should be making money.

Next is to get get a Planned Economy, State Capitalist in power, which you can do forcefully as a monarch. Anyone who gets upset just put 1 division to quell the militancy. Now start buying supplies to build factories and start building loads and loads of factories in Germany proper. Assign craftsmen and clerks to your factories through promotion and your on your way to making 4-5 grand a day. ;)

update

finished the game as number 1 - prestige 5897, industrial score 2945 and military 560. switched to constitutional monarchy and enacted reforms that i thought would benefit my high plurality and make germany a little more 'tolerable' to the average subject. didn't have much effect. managed to balance the budget for periods, but still had to continually put a non-laize faire party in power, as my pops kept electing liberals that continued to espouse that economic doctrine. led to more and more revolts, but i delt with it and quashed thier uprisings while expanding germany's borders into the balkans and even took a good chunk of brazil to boot. perhaps at 1900, it was too late to do much, possibly because i had such a diverse population that was difficult to easily appease. never did challenge the UK, but i did have a clear hegemony in europe and africa.

just recieved my copy of revolutions and started a new game as USA. hoping it will go a little smoother.

Ricky manages to be both harder, and easier at the same time.

The easier: With everything but Planned Economy(I think, dunno, State Capitalist might be this way too) your capitalists will build things, improve your railroads, ect. Especially under LF, in which: Get ready for a massive industrial boom.

The harder: Under LF, you have no control over what your cappies can build, and even under interventionist, you can only expand/close factories, not to mention the fact you can't influence what kind of factories they build.

So it balances itself, makes for a more realistic game, and adds a new level of immersion. In short: Ricky is the greatest Paradox expansion...ever.