• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

deciBelle

Recruit
104 Badges
Apr 12, 2017
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Vikings
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
Hi all! I've been watching whatever Surviving Mars footage crops up here and there. I couldn't help but notice that one of the resources is called "concrete", which I assume/hope is a placeholder.

Though I have to ask: Are you looking at a scientifically grounded approach to the game, or eyeball it?

To me, it would make a lot more sense to consider using construction aggregates like concrete as an end product of a production chain, or at the very least handwave it with a production building that converts natural minerals into construction materials. A good natural resource would be quicklime, for instance (calcium carbonate), to create slaked lime, which would be perfect for a CO2 rich atmosphere like we find on Mars.

Also, I couldn't tell if this had been answered previously: Are resources really going to run out that quickly as could be seen on the gamescom demo? I'm very excited for the game, but I'm not sure how to suspend my disbelief that a relatively small colony could possibly deplete natural resources at such an alarming rate.

Hi all! I've been watching whatever Surviving Mars footage crops up here and there. I couldn't help but notice that one of the resources is called "concrete", which I assume/hope is a placeholder.
You are correct, this is a placeholder. Last I heard the final name for it will be "pixie dust" or "unicorn tears".
tenor.gif

No but seriously I actually don't know if this is a placeholder or not, I think you will need to wait and see what future reveals hold.

Though I have to ask: Are you looking at a scientifically grounded approach to the game, or eyeball it?

To me, it would make a lot more sense to consider using construction aggregates like concrete as an end product of a production chain, or at the very least handwave it with a production building that converts natural minerals into construction materials. A good natural resource would be quicklime, for instance (calcium carbonate), to create slaked lime, which would be perfect for a CO2 rich atmosphere like we find on Mars.

Also, I couldn't tell if this had been answered previously: Are resources really going to run out that quickly as could be seen on the gamescom demo? I'm very excited for the game, but I'm not sure how to suspend my disbelief that a relatively small colony could possibly deplete natural resources at such an alarming rate.

Overall we aim to keep things scientifically plausible.

Concrete in the game is created from sulfur-rich regolith by a production building.

Single resource deposits can run out rather quickly, especially metal deposits on the surface that can be extracted without a dedicated production building. Depleting all deposits on the map is another matter entirely. Even if you manage to exhaust all deposits of a kind (and it will take quite a long while), there is an in-game solution unlocked by late game research that will allow you to continue playing and expanding.

Overall we aim to keep things scientifically plausible.

Concrete in the game is created from sulfur-rich regolith by a production building.

Single resource deposits can run out rather quickly, especially metal deposits on the surface that can be extracted without a dedicated production building. Depleting all deposits on the map is another matter entirely. Even if you manage to exhaust all deposits of a kind (and it will take quite a long while), there is an in-game solution unlocked by late game research that will allow you to continue playing and expanding.

That right there I am very delighted to hear. So long as the game offers replayability and some strategic depth, I'll be picking this game up on launch for sure!