• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Conclave Dev Diary #2 Power to the Council

Greetings!

I know last year featured a lot of dev diaries with very little information about new features of the game. The reason for this was the lack of an announcement of the expansion and we had decided not to talk about the expansion before the announcement. All that has changed now and last week @Doomdark gave you an overview of the features we’ve added and the aim of the expansion.

This week we’re going to go a bit deeper into the new council mechanics.

@Groogy has written the following presentation of the council:

So to the meat of this expansion and my favorite part. The empowerment of the council. As we promised we were gonna let the council in on the day to day governing of your realm becoming more than simply a privy council. Now in fact the strongest vassals in your realm will threaten with civil war if they are not given a position where they can become part of your council and in turn giving them influence on the politics of your realm. Having them on the council prevents them from joining factions and as a liege you can use this to stabilize his/her realm. The councillor will adopt a certain position, these are the colorful icons you see, and this position will dictate how they align themselves with the decisions you take but we will cover that in a later dev diary.
1.jpg

Since King Alfonso is a paranoid guy and constantly in hiding, his realm is mostly ruled by his council...

The councillors can choose to either yay, nay or abstain from a vote. You also get a vote (always voting yes when you’re suggesting something) and your own vote decides in the case of a tie. The characters abstaining from a vote are always swayed by the distribution of diplomacy skill between the yay and nay sayers. Meaning that some highly influential members might turn the tide in a vote as they persuade the voters that have no opinion on the matter. If the council has a majority voting yes on an action, you’ll be free to take that action, but if the council votes against the action, you face the choice of either going against the council or do something else. Going against the council will make it discontent as you have broken the contract with them. Such action also incur tyranny and the council members become free to create and join factions again for a limited time.

For conclave we have also changed how regencies work and the old system with a single regent deciding everything is gone. Instead, If you are in a regency, the regent is put on the council and will vote instead of you and you don’t have the option of going against a council vote.

2.jpg

The council also have powers to vote on your laws and even propose that a vote shall be started on something they want by cashing in on a favor they might have with their liege. But we will cover the redone laws in the next dev diary as well.

Next up @Moah, our newest addition to the team, will explain some of the new tools you have to influence your council members and how you as a vassal can make your liege do things for you:

Hello everyone,

I’m @Moah and I joined Paradox and the CK2 team recently. I’m here today to talk about Favors. As you know, in the game relationships to other characters are important, especially family. But family, friendships and rivalries are not the only kind of relationships that exist. Sometimes you just do a favor for someone, and hope that somewhere down the line, they’ll return it.

And since in the CK2 timeline debts, honor and duty had such a huge impact, we’ve modelled that through a mechanic we cleverly called “favors”.

Getting Support on the Council

As a liege (or part of the council), you can call in a favor on a council member to make them vote like you on the council for one year. This can be used to get an ok to revoke that title you want, execute someone you want to see dead and start that war that you’ve longed for, but the killjoys of the council is constantly saying no to, without the hassle of tyranny and factions. If you don’t have a favor to call in, you can request support from a council member in exchange of a favor. They can turn this down, but if they accept they’ll vote just as if you called a favor on them. The difference is that now you owe them a favor. This is one of the basic generators of favors and a way that vassals gain favors on their lieges. As a liege you can often gain a favor by fulfilling the ambition of a vassal and everyone can accept a sum of money in exchange for a favor. When dealing with powerful lords, you can expect their price to be quite high however.

You can only owe someone at most one favor at a time, so if you already owe them, you’ll have to wait in requesting support again until they’ve used that favor to gain something back. Council members can also call favors on each other and a clever vassal can set up scenarios where they control how the council votes.

Forcing Acceptance

Say you’ve accepted to support your liege on the council, or you paid the emperor of the HRE a large sum of money and you want your investment to pay off. With a favor in hand you can make them accept a marriage (some limitations apply) and gain that Non-Aggression pact you’ve been longing for.

Invite to Court, Educate Child and the Embargo interactions can also use favors to force acceptance and as the liege you can use a favor to keep a character out of factions.

Building a Strong Faction

If you have favors from your fellow vassals, you can use those to get them to join your faction (if they are valid to join the faction) and since they’re bound by the favor, they cannot freely leave the faction.

Pressing a Claim

If your liege owes you a favor, you can use that favor to propose a war declaration where he/she presses one of your claims. In order to do this, the council needs to vote in favor of the war declaration. The liege can deny your proposition, but doing so incurs tyranny and makes the council discontent.

There are more uses of favors that will be presented along with their respective features, but these were some of the basic ones.

3.png

4.png

Now @rageair will walk you through another new feature, the Realm Peace and how it will help you bring order to the realm.

Realm Peace

5.jpg

Previously, your level of Crown Authority decided if vassals were allowed to declare war or not. As of Conclave we’ve replaced this system with a more intuitive one - Realm Peace. With Realm Peace the ruler, in accordance with the Council, decide when wars waged between your vassals have to end. Do you need to change your Succession Law but your vassals just won’t stop fighting? Is the precarious balance of power in your realm being shifted by warmongering vassals? Enforce Realm Peace to make them stop!

After pressing the Realm Peace button your vassals have 3 months before the peace takes effect, after which all wars will end with a white peace. The Peace is then enforced for 60 months before your vassals can declare any internal wars. A long cooldown ensures that you’ll only want to use this ability when it’s really important, and when playing as a vassal you won’t ever find yourself in a completely deadlocked position where you’re not able to attack at all any longer!

Favors and Realm Peace

As a vassal, you can use a favor on your liege to interact with realm peace in two ways. First, you can block your liege from using the Realm Peace or stop a pending Realm Peace from taking effect. This makes sure that you actually get time to win the war that you invested all your precious coin to hire those Swiss mercenaries to fight for you and don’t just end up with nothing gained and empty coffers.

Secondly, you can ask your liege to use the Realm Peace for you. This can be pretty handy when you’re working your way to power and your rivals decide it’s time to partition your lands and join those parts into their own lands.
6.png

That’s all for this week. Next week we’ll take a closer look at how council members vote, the new education system and how we’re turning feudal lords into small business owners.

Reactions:
It's been mentioned that early Muslims start with an Absolutist Law that blocks voting.
I actually did miss that particular tidbit.

But, that doesn't really answer my question as I'm more interested to know if there will be variance within a given government type, not between government types at any given bookmark.

Just to pick a date at random, lets say the Alexiad 1081. Will all realms with the feudal government type all have the same level of council authority, or will there be variation between them?

Hes way more likely to from Francia regardless. The amount of money he'd need to form the HRE before suddenly splitting apart is unreal and then he needs to get the popes approval which is also a pain because he own duches for land vassals for former Lombard king have. Land the AI probably wouldn't give to the pope anyways if they did get their hands on it after conquering Lombardia. I think the events as they stand are fine. We don't need the AI on heavier tracks than they already are when it comes to ol' King Karl. The fact that anyone is reporting that the HRE forms at all in some games seems proof enough to me that the possibility exists to the reasonable extent that it should.

Come on we are talking about Charles the Great here, Charlemagne. Th father of Europe. My college in Belgium is named after him cause he reinvented western education. And when I look in game when i start i 769, he gets middle francia, he conquers Asturias in stead of Lombardy. He dies. His 5 year son takes over. Revolt, revolt, revolt. And sudenly no more kingdoms but only duchies. Farewell dream of HRE. And I personally never ever saw the AI form HRE from the 769 bookmark. Like the chances are 5%. I even neve saw it on youtube in observe modes. So plz Paradox. Can't u retweak some events. Meaby ad one more or so to go from 5% to like 50%. I mean Charles could die in battle and history takes a complete diferent mode. I accept that. But when he gets the claim on Asturias ..... thats just a moment when i facepalm in the game.

I also read somewhere that a guy answerd that if no empire is formed, it represents the collaps of the empire in a better way. But to be historical acurate, in the Old Gods bookmark, Luis of Italy should be emperor of HRE inherited of his father Lothair who on his turn inherited from his father Luis and he inherited from Charles the great. Charles the bold and Ludwig the german were vasals of Luis of Italy.

I prsonally expected an event that Lombardy attacks the Papel tates, and that th pope would plee to Charlemagne to help him. Karl wins for the pope and gets an invasion cassus belli free of charge from the pope on Lombardy and Bavaria out of gratitude. Lombardy just lost a major war so Karl invades and takes what is left of Lombardy. Then new event about the coronation of charles triggers and boom, HRE is born.

Or Karl comes to the aid of the Pope but Lombardy wins, Lombardy installs new pope favoring the Lombards. Lombardy gets invason CB on the franks and Bavaria. Boom HRE is born and many people will try this campain to fend of Charles and create a HRE of ther own with the Lombards.

Reactions:
back when i played vanilla most of the time i was playing as byzantium, and charlesmagne always formed the empire. he only once failed to do so because he was captured by norsemen in battle and executed(or maybe he was maimed and died in prison). we're talking about a dozen playthroughs from year 769 to maybe 1000

now i'm on ck2+ and again, empire is formed always, if not by charlesmagne then by one of his sons or grandsons.

ceterum censeo, i think charles martel was the real MVP, not charlesmagne.

now with better council, it would be interesting to have his start. the beginning of the end of the dark age.

Reactions:
back when i played vanilla most of the time i was playing as byzantium, and charlesmagne always formed the empire. he only once failed to do so because he was captured by norsemen in battle and executed(or maybe he was maimed and died in prison). we're talking about a dozen playthroughs from year 769 to maybe 1000

now i'm on ck2+ and again, empire is formed always, if not by charlesmagne then by one of his sons or grandsons.

ceterum censeo, i think charles martel was the real MVP, not charlesmagne.

now with better council, it would be interesting to have his start. the beginning of the end of the dark age.

Yes but a mod as CK2+ has integrated specific events to form the Carolingian empire.

We still haven't goten much information about the "vassal/liege council member" gameplay.

The "Favor" system seems interesting,but how will this affect gameplay?Will you be able to propose and pass laws using favors and good opinions of the other council members?

But many other interesting scenarios seem that won't be in Conclave...Will we be able to perform palace coups ?Will the assassination mechanic be improved?Are we going to be able to put our preferred person to the throne?

Not seeing the same here. Probably have seen Francia only once in the last six games.

Reactions:
These changes look awesome.

Would it be possible to get a list/overview of the actions that council gets to vote on? E.g. can they vote on marriages, bethrothals and breaking of them, executions, banishments and releases from prisons etc.?

Did anyone ever answer how succession will take place? I mean...

No crown laws?

There must be a way to change succession laws.

Either that, or we're permanently stuck on Gavelkind/ For the whole game...

Reactions:
As it did before.
Pretty sure he was asking how inheritance laws like Seniority and Primogeniture will be gated, since that's the only thing that crown laws have to do with inheritance and the image doesn't answer the question...

Pretty sure he was asking how inheritance laws like Seniority and Primogeniture will be gated, since that's the only thing that crown laws have to do with inheritance and the image doesn't answer the question...
It has been answered before, there are new laws to replace crown authority.

Reactions:

That's not what Sahraine wrote. It may have been the intent, but it's not what was asked.

The laws part is what we should get answered today. It's dev diary day and laws shoud be one of the things to get info about.

That's not what Sahraine wrote. It may have been the intent, but it's not what was asked.

The laws part is what we should get answered today. It's dev diary day and laws shoud be one of the things to get info about.
Doubt it they've already answered most the questions, the rest can be revealed with release. The DD today is more likely about the new education system.

There going to be talking about this:
and this

Yes. You can either just ignore the council and gain some tyranny, or you can make sure you don't have a council by having the correct law setup. More on laws next week, but absolute rule is a perfectly valid play style, especially for smaller realms where factions can't grow too big.

Reactions:
now laws i am very curious about. I do want there to be a butt load of them - it is easily one of the weakest aspects of the game. Course I'm also interested in how the council progresses over the years and centuries - another weakness of the game is the "one size model" that is applied across the seven centuries. So an over reliance on the council in the early centuries, when the King is the first among equals, before moving to a more divinely ordained autocrat (less / no tyranny for ignoring the council in later centuries? - unless you're the English with their pesky parliament).

I am also very curious about the likes of centralisation and inheritance and how it will factor into the Council - for one I'd like to see a much slower and more natural progression, especially regarding the level of crown authority and centralisation, which took ages to get it up high, but the likes of primogeniture was common place in many realms way sooner (never knew why it was tied to high crown authority...)

Also, I'm surely not the only one excited by that comment about small business owners...the beginnings of an actual economic system in the game (easily the other great weaknesses of the game)

I wonder what will be the point of becoming regent.
Is it that the regent can trigger decision instead of his liege, like declaring war, but has to convince the council in everything he does? Or is he just an additional advisor that represents the liege in the council, while the liege himselfe still triggers the decisions?