Concern regarding the decreasing quality and quantity of mission tree icons

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Parmelion

Lead Developer of Ante Bellum
22 Badges
Mar 14, 2016
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello everyone. I would like talk about something I've noticed in the most recent expansions, and as a modder who works with missions on almost a daily basis, it has been bothering me for quite some time. I would also like to emphasize that this is not a typical "PDX bad" rant, but a genuine concern based on evidence. It might not be a game-breaking issue, but I still think it is worth sharing.

The mission trees were introduced in 1.25 & Rule Britannia, and while the early trees had a very limited pool of icons to choose from (Ottomans, Byzantium), which often led to their repetition, the subsequent expansions like Dharma, Golden Century, or Emperor added a huge number of new icons, signicifantly improving the look and immersion of mission trees. However, since Leviathan, both quantity and quality of mission tree icons has been on a steady decline.

Quantity

For comparison, Origins added approximately 27 mission tree icons in total, which are often shared across multiple mission trees. In Emperor, the Netherlands alone received 33 unique mission tree icons. It is also important to note than in Emperor, almost all countries received their own unique mission tree icons. Some might say that this is not a fair comparison since Origins were an immersion pack while Emperor was a full-blown expansion, so let's compare it with Leviathan, which was an expansion similar in size to Emperor. Leviathan added about 76 mission tree icons, while in Emperor, the combination of the Netherlands, Italy, and Florence gets us to the same number of 76 icons. Such a massive decrease in the number of mission tree icons for example leads to the re-using of older icons, which is in most cases fine, but on the other hands, some missions have an icon which is completely out of place:

1652967936944.png

Icon with European architecture used for a Red Sea port, Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Flower in Florence used for Axum, many icons from the generic tree etc. Such a missed opportunity for unique Ethiopian art.

Quality

Quality-wise, some icons from the most recent expansions have a visibly worse quality compared to some older stuff. For example, the icon on the right was added in 1.31 and looks completely blurred compared to a much older icon in which you can easily recognize the facial features of that person.

1652968222509.png

Another example. The first icon was added in 1.25, and the other two were added in 1.32. Ignoring the fact that the new icons are just copies of the older icon, they look significantly worse, and the old icon is way sharper and better looking.
1652968341763.png

The last and the funniest example. The "new" mission icon of Kongo, which is in fact just a flipped icon from the British mission tree.

1652968412509.png

I do not know what caused this decline in both quality and quantity, perhaps the art team is working on something more important or is needed elsewhere, but it would be amazing if the same amazing effort which is lately being put into the content of mission trees (hats off, 1.32 trees were a huge step up and 1.34 ones look even better) was also put into their visual side. That's all, thank you!

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
agreed: also, something I find really annoying is that the screen that shows your country's starting position (when you just loaded in) was in earlier expansions much more expanded than now. Now its just ''west africa was kinda sucky but they did some cool things'' in two sentences while the description of for example austria is 5 paragraphs long

Reactions: