Concering Issue: "Cannot connect to online server - only offline features are supported"

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've played a lot recently and this is the first time I haven't been able to connect, it had been working on Monday. I am using an Xfinity router. I'm getting this exact error message.

A different issue I've had in the past is that I would have a similar difficulty connecting to the servers after being connected and then getting dropped due to inactivity (alt-tabbing while someone else took their turn). The error message was a bit different, I think it said 'unknown' something. This issue would fix itself if I attempted to connect several times or rebooted the client, so it wasn't anything more than mildly annoying.

I am using an Xfinity router.
Okay, and what was the result when trying these steps aimed at Xfinity users?
For users with a comcast/xfinity xfi router:
It is quite possible that the router started blocking the MP connection since the last update for it.
If you have xfinity and have this error, download the xfi app, it will tell you a threat is detected on your device. Just tell it to allow the connection. it's a false positive.

On PS5. Just getting "an unspecified error has occured" when I press ANY button in the online multiplayer section.

Edit: Multiplayer works fine on my PS4

Last edited:
Even nowadays multiplayer is still unstable as hell. I'm trying to play with 2 friends, but we constantly get oos, crashes and sometimes nobody can continue, because the game says "waiting for player actions", despite we all clicked everything.

I get the message: 'Lost Connection to Lobby server' when attempting to connect to 'online multiplayer' in the AOW: PF main menu. Had a cool game going, so I hope someone can help!

Games ran fine yesterday (may 7 2021)., played my turn and exited without issue.
Playing on Win10, via Steam, Pdx aaccount linked, open beta V1.403.43779(open_beta)
Firewall allows access, steam files verified.

Is there a server issue, or am I missing something?
Netherlands(EU)
Thanks in advance!

Good day.
Me and my friend have the same problem. I get the message: 'Lost Connection to Lobby server' when attempting to connect to 'online multiplayer' in the AOW: PF main menu. And we are having a good game too!
Game was fine yesterday as well.
I am playing on windows 7 and my friend plays on windows 10.

We are from Russia(RUS)
Thanks in advance!

Good day also!

My sister and I also are experiencing the same issue. We get the message: 'Lost Connection to Lobby Server' whilst attempting to connect to online multiplayer. We are having such a good time with our game, its a bit of a sad face moment! Please may you look into it, fingers crossed!

Kind Regards,
Jazzi

Hi,

I ran into this issue(cannot connect to an MP game or the lobby) this morning and it persists (now noon). It worked during the weekend. I've reinstalled the game and it made no difference. I haven't changed anything in Steam or Windows lately, in fact this Windows partition is only used for Planetfall PBEM.
I tried running with the Windefender firewall down, made no difference.

The debug log says
[10:32:04]Online check succeeded
[10:32:04][LOBBY_CLIENT]Connecting to server...
[10:32:04]Login failed, timed out..
[10:32:24]Showing system message: Cannot connect to server - only offline features are supported.
tcping of the specified non-US server at the specified port (spam filter refuses the address and port I don't know why) says "no response" .
Is there a problem at your end or can I do something to alleviate the issue?

Edit. After unlinking my Steam from my Paradox account via the Launcher the MP lobby opened without issue and continuing the PBEM I am participating in worked like usual. I tried linking my Steam acct to the Paradox one anew and network play still worked. Right..glad it got sorted and I hope it stays that way : ) (Am not too impressed with the tcping test though)

Last edited:
Servers down again today? I've been unable to connect to the multiplayer games for most of the day now. The ping tool did not connect. Logging out of Paradox account and logging back in resulted in no change. Any other troubleshooting steps?

Hey, did servers went off within day?
Yesterday i was checking and i was able to connect to them, today i got message after message about "only offline features are supported."
Its a bit frustrating that any of advices which were here already didnt work at all.
Any clue what else should I try?

I am in the U.S. and just got the game for Christmas. I can "connect" to the multiplayer, but there are no multiplayer games displayed. Nor do the "email" or "settings" buttons work. My son lives in another city in the same state and has the same problem (he also just got the game). It's a disappointment since we were going to play together.

Again, want to reiterate, we are not receiving any messages regarding "offline mode only" or anything else. Just a blank mulitplayer screen. Neither of us has Comcast or whatever the other mentioned provider was. I do have a variable IP (varies per session, not length of time in-session); not sure about him. Hope this helps. I hope this can be fixed soon.

I can "connect" to the multiplayer, but there are no multiplayer games displayed. Nor do the "email" or "settings" buttons work.
That would make sense as you don't have a session selected. Has either of you gone into the Lobby and tried hosting a game?