• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

JohnathanCrow

Captain
30 Badges
Mar 31, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Victoria 2
[Tool] Compact Launcher

Download
Current version: 1.02
Compatible with: 2.1.4 (or earlier)

Compact Launcher.png

Description
The default launcher is awkward to use when you have a lot of DLC or mods installed, so I edited it.

Features
  • Streamlined, compact layout with a larger DLC and mod list box
  • Separate buttons for playing vanilla and playing mods
  • Some new graphics, because why not?

Compatibility
Compatible with all versions of CK2 pre 2.1.5.1 beta, which is untested. Bear in mind that the box sizes will be updated with the release of new DLC to avoid scroll bars.

Installation
  • Extract the 'launcher' folder into '\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II', or wherever your directory is
  • Choose 'Copy and Replace'
  • Backup included, so no need to bother doing your own

Changelog
Code:
[B]1.02[/B]
* Increased box sizes to accomodate new DLC without scrolling
* Adjusted positioning to make objects even more compact
* Removed backup items where the original was never overwritten
* Edited icon to have a transparent background... for reasons

* Deleted the register button
* Switched 'Play Vanilla' and 'Play Mods' around
* Made buttons larger

[B]1.00[/B]
* Deleted unnecessary objects, images, etc.
* Changed object layout with larger content list boxes
* Created separate buttons for playing with mods / vanilla
* Added new background and button textures

Last edited:
I've been using this for about a day now and it's made things a lot easier.
I'm lazy and don't remove mods when I'm not using them, so my mod list has become huge, this makes everything 10 times easier, with it being a bigger list.
I did personally swap the Play Vanilla/Play Mods buttons around, because I kept hitting vanilla by mistake, but other than that, I think it's been pretty great.

Now that the steam workshop is also avaiable for CKII will/can this launcher be made compatible to show mods from the workshop?

* It appears mods from the workshop are not showing up in the stock launcher aswell. Apparently ingame i can only manage mods that are installed the old way in the main menu under the content button, no view on activated workshop items.

Last edited:
Would it be possible to have a 'select all/clear all' button?
That would be the main reason for me to have an alternate launcher installed.

(installed anyway, the larger size of the dlc window alone is worth it :D)

Now that the steam workshop is also avaiable for CKII will/can this launcher be made compatible to show mods from the workshop?

* It appears mods from the workshop are not showing up in the stock launchers aswell. Now the game crashes at main menu screen.

Yeah, I think it's a problem with the Workshop. I've read about a lot of problems with getting mods working. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, and this launcher should work just fine when it is.

Would it be possible to have a 'select all/clear all' button?

I'm not sure. I'll look into it, but I'm not experienced with this sort of thing.

The launcher has been updated to (hopefully) ashow all released DLC without a scrollbar. I don't own the latest few, so if someone could confirm, I'd appreciate it. There are a few other minor changes listed in the changelog.

As for adding a check/uncheck all button, it's seems to be beyond my limited capabilities, but I will keep looking into it when I have the time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think it's a problem with the Workshop. I've read about a lot of problems with getting mods working. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon, and this launcher should work just fine when it is.

Good to know it is not just me. Could not believe PI implemented this feature so badly either.

The launcher has been updated to (hopefully) ashow all released DLC without a scrollbar. I don't own the latest few, so if someone could confirm, I'd appreciate it. There are a few other minor changes listed in the changelog.

As for adding a check/uncheck all button, it's seems to be beyond my limited capabilities, but I will keep looking into it when I have the time.

If it's not worth the hassle than don't pursue it, it would save a few seconds, that's all :)

Good to know it is not just me. Could not believe PI implemented this feature so badly either.

Amen.
It's like they didn't test it at all; to my knowledge not even 1 person has the workshop working... How could the testing department get it working in this state?

Why have I not seen this sooner?

It got buried when it released. I assumed people weren't using it and let it be.

Could not believe PI implemented this feature so badly either.

It's like they didn't test it at all; to my knowledge not even 1 person has the workshop working... How could the testing department get it working in this state?

Yeah, a few of the problems with 2.1.1 are disappointing, in that I can't imagine how they could be missed if they were tested at all, leading me to suppose that they never were. On the bright side, the performance is noticeably better, so I can't wait to enjoy the game after the next patch/hotfix.

If it's not worth the hassle than don't pursue it, it would save a few seconds, that's all

It's a function I'd like to see, but it took me a while just to figure out what language the .cfg uses, and even now I'm not certain. I'll do a bit of casual research, and if a solution doesn't present itself I'll drop it.

I can confirm that they are all visible without a scrollbar.

Thanks!

You know what would be really cool, but is probably beyond the scope of this utility? Mod profiles, where you can have a few different selections saved for when you want to use different combos of mods. When you have 30+ mods listed in your launcher like I do it becomes a nightmare switching things on and off and then trying to remember which you had working with which.

My problem with these suggested features is that I don't even know if they're possible, and can't find a way to figure it out. The launcher references 'mod_archive' for the actual check list, but I don't know what that is actually pointing to so I can get to the data (such as whether a box is checked or not) and implement a feature (such as clearing, or saving). Someone helped me come to the conclusion that the launcher was written in javascript/JSON, but honestly? I still can't recognise it as such, even after reading up and looking at samples. As I said, I'm not experienced in this, I just edited existing objects and made a few guesses/assumptions.

However, in response to your problem - have you considered just keeping a text document and copying and pasting different mod set-ups (from the last selected mods section in settings.txt) there?

The launcher application does not appear to be capable of the features requested. However, one *could* write their own launcher app with those features. It would then either:

1. Modify the setup.txt to have to appropriate mods/dlc selected, and invoke the normal launcher.

or

2. Invoke the main game executable directly.

Edit: By the way, the launcher.cfg file you edited is not the actual launcher. It is only a data file which describes how the launcher window is arranged. Additionally, Mac have maclauncher.cfg as well as launcher.cfg.

Last edited: