• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Which should be WoN only?

• Transfer Tradepower

Votes: 1.581 51,9%
  • Powerbonus-system for fighting Rivals

Votes: 177 5,8%
  • Policies

Votes: 547 18,0%
  • New formable nations: Kurland, Egypt & Bukhara.

Votes: 472 15,5%
  • Automation of Papacy

Votes: 267 8,8%

• Total voters

unmerged(1823)

Johan's Home Account
Mar 14, 2001
Since it seemed to be a group of people upset with Papacy Automation being part of the latest expansion, I'll let you guys pick which feature should be in WoN, while the rest is free for 1.6.

- Transfer Tradepower Diplomatic Action. (Not just from wars, but something you can negotiate at peace)
- Powerbonus-system for fighting Rivals. (You saw an early version in the MP streams)
- Policysystem (Replaces lots of decisions, and costs power for bonuses)
- New formable nations: Kurland, Egypt & Bukhara.
- Automation of Papacy.

I'm not adding any of the other interface improvements to this, as I assume you won't vote for them either.

- Transfer Tradepower Diplomatic Action. (Not just from wars, but something you can negotiate at peace)

This is the obvious answer for the Wealth of Nations DLC. None of the others directly relate to the DLC, so they should be free. Negotiating trade power belongs to WoN.

Agree with the 2 people above me, tradepower is the only one in the list that has anything to do with a trade-oriented expansion.

EDIT: The vote is rather odd.
In my opinion, everything on that list bar the papal automation should be in the DLC (maybe not the formable nations, as that's arguable.)

Last edited:
I voted for the 'new formable nations'

Perhaps this should be a poll that allows multiple options to be selected?

Transfer trade power, powerbonus system, policy system are all significant mechanics changes that fit with a major update. All of them are reasonable "WoN only". Formable nations are debatable, automated papacy should not be WoN only.

This may be a strange question coming from me, but which of the first three would be easiest for you guys to do? While I am certainly not happy with the idea of a basic UI update being paid content, I'd also rather avoid the pitfalls of a ton of extra work + changing how things are implementing leading to bugs. I'd vote for any of the first 4 being "paid content" that is easiest to switch, if switching is a significant constraint.

I voted policy because it seems like the most major system change, but transfer tradepower would have been a close second simply on fitting the theme the most.

yes, I only think automation needs to be out, everything else I have no problem of being charged for.

I voted for policies though, which I thought was the coolest addition...

Last edited:
I choose between auto papacy and policy system, but finaly choosed automation of papcy. No matter, I will going to buy WoN btw, but only if my reported bug's will be fixed in 1.6

Tradepower seems most appropriate for the expansion. And thanks for being so reasonable Paradox! It is really appreciated!

And here I thought you don't have another free update that isn't so related WoN but has too many free features compare to DLC one thus forced you to include auto-papacy to WoN...
I would trade any religious improvement with all these options (well except auto-papacy of course) for free patch...

But as it only trade for auto-papacy I would vote for Powerbonus for fighting rivals...
I love build a slow expanding empire instead of a rapid one...

I'd also like to thank Paradox and, if it's any help, this decision has sold both the expansion to me AND Warlock II, which I was on the fence about.
I agree, I'm happy to see paradox act quickly with the concerns people had about papal automation not being a part of the patch.

I voted for transfer tradepower, since it fits with the expension theme. People who are interested in buying WoN for the improved trade system will like that feature, while others (who probably don't want to mess with trade as much) will care less. This is why I have no objection to having the improved India and Reformed faith in the expension, since traders are likely to go for Reformed (aka: Netherlands) and India serves as the other side of the trading companies coin.

The problem with the cardinal improvement, is that it is a feature for Catholics, which may or may not be trade powers at all. You don't want to force people who want to play non-trading Poland to buy a full expension of mostly irrelevant contant just for that one feature. The point of the DLC policy versus old-style expensions should be to encourage players to only buy the features they care about instead of having to pay for irrelevant bundled stuff with it.

Perhaps this should be a poll that allows multiple options to be selected?

Transfer trade power, powerbonus system, policy system are all significant mechanics changes that fit with a major update. All of them are reasonable "WoN only". Formable nations are debatable, automated papacy should not be WoN only.

This may be a strange question coming from me, but which of the first three would be easiest for you guys to do? While I am certainly not happy with the idea of a basic UI update being paid content, I'd also rather avoid the pitfalls of a ton of extra work + changing how things are implementing leading to bugs. I'd vote for any of the first 4 being "paid content" that is easiest to switch, if switching is a significant constraint.
I agree with this. I voted for the Transfer Trade power option, but I could also see both the power bonus and policy system being DLC only content as well. All of them are new or complete reworks to existing, working systems.

I imagine if the policy system is part of the free patch, it's more out of convenience for the coders, since maintaining dual code branches for the policy system is probably more expensive than giving it away for free.

New formable nations I'm on the fence about, since it is new content, but doesn't really require any new systems to implement, and the quantity of content is minimal.

The papal automation is the only thing that stands out as definite non-DLC, as it is exclusively a UI improvement to an existing feature that is less than stellar to play with at the moment.

Voted for transferring tradepower, as that seems the feature most in line with the expansion, though I would have gladly payed for everything listed other than papacy automation.

In any case, this decision shows what a great company Paradox is, and I have to commend Johan and everyone else for this move. Engaging with your community to this extent proves you're worth every ounce of loyalty we fanboys give you. It's exceedingly rare for a dev these days to put its long-term relationship with consumers first, and your decision to do so reminds us all why Paradox is widely considered one of the best companies in the industry. Nice job, guys, and thank you! :)