• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Which should be WoN only?

• Transfer Tradepower

Votes: 1.581 51,9%
  • Powerbonus-system for fighting Rivals

Votes: 177 5,8%
  • Policies

Votes: 547 18,0%
  • New formable nations: Kurland, Egypt & Bukhara.

Votes: 472 15,5%
  • Automation of Papacy

Votes: 267 8,8%

• Total voters
I picked new formable nations, because i think that the other choices are too much game changing and for example it would be pointless for someone who is learning the game to lose time with decisions if the major part of community knows about policies, same for the trade diplo action, even if it's a "trade feature" it permits to you to familiarize with a slightly different concept of the trade without being aggressive for wealth. Automation of papacy i'm sorry to say should have been in the game since long time, but i'm glad it has been added. Powerbonus system seems too much important too.

I mean it's good that new features are coming into the game but don't make this become like Catan that you have to learn new rules for each expansion and ofc the sets aren't even compatible. I will surely learn the changes in 1 day but i think that not everyone is in my state. So that's why i picked formable nations since they add content without modifying the experience. Maybe add some more tags...:D

I agree with this. I voted for the Transfer Trade power option, but I could also see both the power bonus and policy system being DLC only content as well. All of them are new or complete reworks to existing, working systems.

I imagine if the policy system is part of the free patch, it's more out of convenience for the coders, since maintaining dual code branches for the policy system is probably more expensive than giving it away for free.

New formable nations I'm on the fence about, since it is new content, but doesn't really require any new systems to implement, and the quantity of content is minimal.

The papal automation is the only thing that stands out as definite non-DLC, as it is exclusively a UI improvement to an existing feature that is less than stellar to play with at the moment.

Except for Automate Papacy, everything else should be WoN exclusive. I especially don't want the new rival system to be include in the free patch.

Seeing this list, I can see why the developers choose the automated system not to be included for free. They actually made the decision to include the most amount of content for free.

That being said I voted transfer trade power because, like people have said, it makes the most sense with the type of DLC.

I picked new formable nations, because i think that the other choices are too much game changing...
Yeah, I don't get why some people want such major changes to the game system to be hidden behind the paywall?

Along those lines, though, the Papacy interface change actually IS an optional feature that goes well with Paradox's general approach to DLCs. I get that people think interface improvements should be done for free. I get that it's not particularly relevant to the theme. But if something has to be hidden behind a paywall, I'd much rather it NOT be a substantive feature.

I would have gladly payed for everything listed other than papacy automation.

I agree, if any of those other four options were announced as DLC-only features I wouldn't have blinked. I think some things can be a little gray when it comes to patch vs DLC, but automated cardinal management is not one of those things, it's a UI-fix for a flawed design. Design flaws should be treated like garden variety bugs.

Yeah, I don't get why some people want such major changes to the game system to be hidden behind the paywall?

Along those lines, though, the Papacy interface change actually IS an optional feature that goes well with Paradox's general approach to DLCs. I get that people think interface improvements should be done for free. I get that it's not particularly relevant to the theme. But if something has to be hidden behind a paywall, I'd much rather it NOT be a substantive feature.
If we were paying only for small improvements and biggest features would be free, no one sane would be buying DLCs.

Trade power because it fits the theme I guess.

Really the questions you've got to ask yourselves when deciding what features are DLC-only are:

1) Would someone who doesn't care at all about the expansion's main theme(s) (e.g. trade and India) still want this feature?
2) If so, is the feature sizeable enough for this person to actually want to buy the expansion at full price?

For example people who aren't interested in trade might still want the automated Papacy or be able to form Egypt, but there's no way they'll want to spend 10€ just for that one tiny feature. Same thing with 'The Old Gods' for example. Did anyone who didn't care about pagans or 867 pay 15€ to get slightly improved rebels? On the other hand, people who do buy the expansion for the main stuff won't give a damn whether these small side-features are part of the DLC or the free patch.

I vote for Transfer Trade Power, but Policysystem would also be acceptable for me.

I'm not adding any of the other interface improvements to this, as I assume you won't vote for them either.

I think you're right to assume this. I'm planning to buy all the expansions anyway, but I think UI improvements should just be something that anyone who bought the games deserves. It's a matter of principle. I'm glad to see you listen to criticism. I hope you guys understand we're so critical because we love you so much!

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm not sure on the others. You have some real practical constraints most likely, stuff you wouldn't think about at first but essentially if you don't put something in a new patch then you have a vanilla game + DLC and are essentially maintaining two separate mechanics and sets of functionality. Even outside of programming, that's dangerous. It increases the workload burden and bug risk significantly. There's a reason I asked which one(s) would be easiest to implement as WoN only, and that reason is that from a practical standpoint I would vote for those options as it would give us the highest chance of avoiding bugs and them the least work.

I know the answer is the papacy box, but the most *acceptable* one :p.

And, yet, the DLCs have always had only small improvements and the biggest features are free. So no one is sane?
Biggest free features were not available for players, just AI. What was focus of SoI? Muslims. Could you play as them without DLC, or in other words use biggest features of expansion? No. The same thing was with the other DLCs for CKII.

Because that's how the new DLC system is supposed to work. We pay money to get exciting new features and new historical content to play with. I've defended Paradox's DLC policy countless times before, usually from the same people screaming that Steam is Satan incarnate. But an "automatic spend points" checkbox isn't a new gameplay feature, it's a basic quality-of-life UI tweak.

Anyway, much kudos to Johan for handling things this way. It is a big reassurance that your intentions are good, even if you make the occasional misstep. And I know it must be frustrating to deal with forum uproar.

I picked new formable nations, because i think that the other choices are too much game changing and for example it would be pointless for someone who is learning the game to lose time with decisions if the major part of community knows about policies, same for the trade diplo action, even if it's a "trade feature" it permits to you to familiarize with a slightly different concept of the trade without being aggressive for wealth. Automation of papacy i'm sorry to say should have been in the game since long time, but i'm glad it has been added. Powerbonus system seems too much important too.

I mean it's good that new features are coming into the game but don't make this become like Catan that you have to learn new rules for each expansion and ofc the sets aren't even compatible. I will surely learn the changes in 1 day but i think that not everyone is in my state. So that's why i picked formable nations since they add content without modifying the experience. Maybe add some more tags...:D
You are voting for what SHOULD BE in the expansion, not what shouldn't be in the expansion. Just pointing that out.