• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lol...in my british game I got Poland 2 join allies in guarantee independance...& then they left the allies just b4 WW2 along w/ half of my puppets!!! Granted I acceptall'd & got them back in but still...it's possible

Chapter 4
Freiburg

Januari 1st 1939 - July 29th 1939

1duitsland9fm.jpg

Things in the east were looking good. A large force had assembled on the Polish border. Since Poland had joined the allies 15 divisions had dug themselves in on the Franco-Belgian border. Confident the French wouldn't attack since to the south they had to concern themselves with the Spanish too, the Count ordered German forces to invade Poland at 1:00 on june 22nd.

3oorlog6ud.jpg

2ivasiepolen8xb.jpg

The attack went in true Blitzkrieg style. The tanks advanced quickly, followed by the foot soldiers. In the meantime the sky was blackened with planes and Industry was carefully targeted by strategic bombers to prevent recovery.
Pockets were formed of which the following pictures show the largest one ever (for the author :cool: ).

5omsingeling1ei.jpg

6ingesloten0qz.jpg

In the meantime the Count's allies didn't sit still. The Spanish closed the Mediterranean, the Turks (very!) slowly advanced south and the argentinians sent their navy. In the following weeks it would become clear Axis navies weren't equiped against Allied ones. Many ships were sunk against no losses by the Allies :mad: .

Gibraltar taken
7gibraltar1ic.jpg

Argentine comes with aid
8argentini5bs.jpg

Poland was about to fall, and the time what later on was to become known as the "Happy Days" was about to end.

9laatsteblijemomenten6ub.jpg

The French, though somewhat teased by the Spanish in the south, had decided to leave their Maginot line and were advancing. As soon as messages from the new western front were coming in it was clear the enemy force was much larger than the 150000 Germans opposing them could handle. The eastern forces were cut in half and reinforcements were moved by strategic redeployment or on their own vehicles to the west.

10frankrijkvaltaan6pn.jpg

Western Europe
11westen2oh.jpg

What was to become an essential Allied foothold was taken by the French: Freiburg.

12freiburgbegint0ci.jpg

Once the French had advanced further west, the German high comand saw an opportunity to encircle a large mass of them by attacking Freiburg. The first assault went well and soon tanks were rolling to get the area under control and cut 15 French divisions loose from their supply points.

13slagomfreiburg5lz.jpg

The still not yet so bad looking situation
14hetkannog9an.jpg

And when it seemed Poland was about to be conquered and enough men and equipment would be freed to take care of the French, this happened :mad: :

15treurig8be.jpg

The situation in Europe
16europainoorlog5yo.jpg

Tanks on their way to the Siegfried line were called back to Poland and defence was prepared with minimal forces.

18oostfront9vx.jpg

Tanks almost had completed securing Freiburg when suddenly masses of French arrived. Fights renewed. The Germans seemed to hold the upper hand but French kept arriving and after a battle that lasted for days the French were victorious. Being only 1 hour away from trapping a large French army (1 hour, I kid you not!), Germans were forced back to Stuttgart, a huge industrial centre in the Southwest of Germany, now seriously under threat.

17freiburgversterkt2nj.jpg

A fateful decision was made that was to have grave consequences. With victory in Freiburg unsure, forces were redirected to Luxembourgh. It fell quickly and behind it lay only 4 French divisions....who miraculously survived the onslaught. The Maginot line, even with immense numerical superiority, could hold off a large attacking force with just 40000 men. This had 2 major consequences. First Freiburg forces were allowed to recover, and second the front was elongated with no breakthrough achieved. The French just sent new reinforcements to the Maginot line (Hello! Spain! Are you awake?!), making a strong opponent stronger yet.

19luxemburg0es.jpg

With half the army tied up in the east no reinforcements were available for the tired and weary Germans. After a last attempt to achieve a Breakthrough against Strassbourgh from 3 directions against numerical and qualitatively inferior troops which was also slain of because of that cursed Maginot line, German spirit was finaly broken. The French countered and soon the area of Stuttgard containing large industrial cities was succesfully being invaded. German troops rushing in to contain this threat were also defeated. An attempt from 3 directions to retake Friedrichshaven against unfortified positions, aided however by French armored divisions, was also slain of.

The bending of the German front
20stuttgartverloren8qm.jpg

German troops in the east meanwhile had started rushing to the river Dnieper and Kiev, because strangely Soviet forces had massively turned South. It was necessary to reach good defensive positions to hold on till the disastrous situation in the west could be turned around. Upon reaching the outskirts of Kiev however and after miraculously having been able to destroy 8 enemy divisions in a pocket to the west of that city, huge troop concentrations were found in that city and to the south of it. Hope was lost a proper defense could be mounted against these odds. True, a large distance had been created between the Soviets and Germany, but far over 100 Soviet divisions stood against just 300000 German troops. It was only a matter of time before the erratic troop movements of the Russians would stop and an all out assault against German forces would be mounted.

The chaotic Eastern front
21sovjettroepen6kf.jpg

Still a lone country dares to join the cause of the righteous
22alliantie4tu.jpg

The situation in Europe
2329juli19390iv.jpg

Stuttgart, 29th of july 1939
Herr Count we must leave this city now, the French are only miles away, and we have nothing sitting in between.

Yes Herr Count, if we're not careful we're captured.

Good, we leave for Frankfurt am Main. If only we knew why our brave soldiers couldn't get through those damn French lines. They seemed to have inhuman capabilities. Entire batalions disappeared without a trace. Now, let's get to the......

What's that noise and that strange light comming through the window. LOOK OUT THERE, IT'S HUGE, IMPOSSIBLE, WHAT IS IT?

WHAT THE...., o no, it can't be, we're doomed. They're only to be defeated in the year 2378 after the destruction of their Transwarp Hub. The only thing more terrifying than this prospect is the Dutch Football team.

You're meaning..., yes, now I see, you were right all along, it's the...

We are the communists. Lower your defences and surrender your vehicles. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile!

The end or the beginning?

It indeed seemed I had my own Waterloo, it was called "Freiburg". In the road to war and in diplomacy however mistakes were made too.

I have tried to hold on for as long as possible. But in months my southern forces were forced back more northerly, without me getting much allied aid :confused: . I pulled back a strong panzer division from the east with 3 medium tanks and Rommel as commander. But though it steadied the French march, the Russians used the opportunity to finally begin attacking in ernest. An almost continuous retreat was started. My IC went down and the enemy got more and more reinforcements. Berlin and a large area around it :cool: held out, thanks to the resources I had accumulated, but I wasn't able to mount any great offensive. With crippled industry I could just keep my forces supplied and reinforced. Expansion wasn't possible sadly. After hours of gameplay on the defensive (which is good for your experience in this game I must add :rolleyes: ) it was indeed futile to go on.

Ze Learning Curve:

-First use 2 years to built up IC and long term fleet projects to be more prepared for prolonged conflict.

-Less aircraft production. There is power in numbers on the ground.

-Only attack Poland when having an agreement with the Soviets. Early 2 front war is disastrous.

-More defences are needed against the French during the Polish campaign. This to prevent a second "Freiburg".

-Keep an attack focused, don't allow the enemy in an area which is weakly defended by you to recover.

-Maginot line is clearly a no-go area.

-When the Turks are allies, adequate forces should be sent to quickly seize Suez and oil wells. They won't do it on their own.

-Troops on a front should be more organized in the sense that you keep imaginary borders between groups of your divisions, so you don't have large areas without for example tanks or planes or great diferences in troop density.

AI-Notes:
-The Soviet AI can use improvement. The Russian forces on the German border were initially able to storm into Germany, but instead they went on a strange trip south to a strong but passive Romanian border before finally turning west.
-The French reacted well and posed a good challange.
-My axis-allies reacted somewhat chaotic and inadequate.

Last edited:
By the way. Did you all like reading this AAR? Are there any suggestions for possible future projects?

It did take me a lot of time writing this, and I haven't even used in-depth historical analysis and non-screenshot pictures. I certainly have a lot more respect to the writers of other AAR's. I now know how difficult it is writing a good one.

Yea i just read the whole AAR and its nice to read and just follow ur progress. The progress u made was good, and you fought some nice battles, but like you said in 'Ze learning curve' i would indeed change some of ur tactics. Especially with germany you have a real advantage when you postpone the war, getting all kinds of benefits.

Good luck on ur next project

OMG :confused: u DOW'd on June 22!!?!! That totally sealed your fate...if you had to invade them wait till Danzig & MR pact...then attack them after you take care of France ASAP after Poland & DOW SU in spring/summer 1940, w/ luck & Winter War u could've been in great shape especially if u constantly move 2 standing army (I did this as Brits...so good), & central planning...next time ;)

jose1357 said:
OMG :confused: u DOW'd on June 22!!?!!
Yup, won't do that one again :rolleyes: . Certainly was fun though, my first game as Germany. I knew I was to make mistakes, but this was disastrous and at the same time educative :wacko: . The standing army by the way will be my aim indeed.

Oranje Verzet, thanks for your comment too.

My new game I started in a totally new fasion :cool: :

That looks much better, also look at the Wiki it has some good advice 4 Germany & other countries + SU...use it to your advantage they are very sound strategies plus build you r Panzer IV's ASAP 4 Babarossa, I built my T34's as SU b4 it & their Panzer III's were doomed

I enjoyed reading your AAR also. I'm currently playing my first GC as Germany on Normal/Normal and the French with 25 divisions attacked Sarbrucken when I had only left 12 divisions to cover the Maginot area, luckily for me the Soviets did not declare war (as non-aggression pact had been agreed) and I was able to pull reserves from the Polish mopping-up operation to strengthen the Maginot area before the French attempted to push further into Germany. It seems that the French will exploit weaknesses if they see an undermanned Maginot on the German side. I also spent quite a lot of IC in the build-up years on the Kreigsmarine only to see several capital ships sunk early on by the RN. I have since teched up the submarines and am producing lots to try and combat the combined US/Royal navies. Allied Japan brought US into the war with Pearl Harbour event in 1940, so at sea Allies rule.

I'm thinking about writing an AAR on it from 1941 onwards, as I have taken no screenshots up until now. Your AAR has certainly encouraged me.

muileach said:
I enjoyed reading your AAR also. I'm currently playing my first GC as Germany on Normal/Normal and the French with 25 divisions attacked Sarbrucken when I had only left 12 divisions to cover the Maginot area, luckily for me the Soviets did not declare war (as non-aggression pact had been agreed) and I was able to pull reserves from the Polish mopping-up operation to strengthen the Maginot area before the French attempted to push further into Germany. It seems that the French will exploit weaknesses if they see an undermanned Maginot on the German side. I also spent quite a lot of IC in the build-up years on the Kreigsmarine only to see several capital ships sunk early on by the RN. I have since teched up the submarines and am producing lots to try and combat the combined US/Royal navies. Allied Japan brought US into the war with Pearl Harbour event in 1940, so at sea Allies rule.

I'm thinking about writing an AAR on it from 1941 onwards, as I have taken no screenshots up until now. Your AAR has certainly encouraged me.
Thank you. If you want to show screenshots it's recommendable you use imageshack. With that you can upload your screenshots for free on the web in jpeg format.

I don't know if that's thread necromancy, but I just discovered this AAR and loved it, because it was fun, short to read ;), with nice screenshots and most of all it's actually so rare to read an AAR that leads to a defeat that it's a welcome change from the usual.

And I don't even watch Star Trek but liked the comic material anyway :D

here is another one :rofl:

i`m having the same problem in my last game Arma 1.3beta2 . failed at Munich agreement and without an adequate army even annexing Czechs was very difficult. Poland-France and Soviet Union declared war on me in the next months and almost every German city tasted how being captured is by the merciless enemy :mad: however i was able to annex Poland and France before i loose my 5th tech slot. the worst part is I`m playing a modified Very very hard settings and can not stop 700+Soviet divisions with my 91 inf, 2 HQ, 3 mtn and 5 arm (because of IC whoring :rolleyes:). Production queue is full of everything now and they have to be finished before SU steamrolls me :rolleyes:

i hope one day i`ll make my own AAR and as you said it requires a lot of time, work and patience which is hard to have at the same time.

Geez... this must win the award "The shortest completed AAR that never dies".

harezmi, Great some people still read this, 4 years after it was finished and 2,5 years after the last message :eek:
700+ enemy divisions, the best thing would be overwhelming air superiority and lot's of Tactical bombers on ground attack against moving divisions. Should reduce that number a bit for you. CAS is better on ground attack missions but the shorter range can be a problem. I hope your production queue contains some TAC. :) Good luck with your AAR.

Sharkfreak06, Thanks for the award :D

How did you manage to get Yugoslavia on your side? Isn't there a coup in Yugoslavia when they are in the axis and they are in war with the Allies?

Anyone?

Anyway. For a beginner you did quite well i think. Adding Spain too the Axis, getting Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria on your side. But didn't wait for the events(like the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact and "danzig or war"). The events grant you much freedom on how and what to do.

Of course you learned a great deal from this.

lionhead, I got into an alliance with Yugoslavia before WW2, and because of my early war with Poland once the "steel pact" fired, yugoslavia was at war with the allies, so they were easily persuaded to come back into the alliance.