• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jays298

Lt. General
18 Badges
Mar 21, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome
I am replaying Rome Gold and heard about Imperator Rome.

But I'm kind of on the fence about buying Imperator because it seems like it's not finished or keeps changing. Maybe they tried to reinvent the wheel and it didn't work?

I really liked the original but I want to know if Imperator feels immersive or if all the problems, patches, changes, ruin the feel?

I liked the idea when it sounded like they were borrowing all the systems from the original because I liked the 5 factions and the ease of the old loyalty system.

The biggest issue with Imperator was that it basically felt like a port of EU:Rome to a modern engine. They've improved it since and now it feels like a unique game but if you liked Gold than you'll probably have a good time with I:R.

Reactions:
It has new bells and whistles but it is basically the same game. Especially if you like to play as Rome. Yes there are Pops. Yes there are military tactics to choose from. There are now separate Gods to choose from. The game is the same conquer as much as you can.

It is an improvement on Rome Gold. I have played both.

The biggest issue with Imperator was that it basically felt like a port of EU:Rome to a modern engine. They've improved it since and now it feels like a unique game but if you liked Gold than you'll probably have a good time with I:R.
It has new bells and whistles but it is basically the same game. Especially if you like to play as Rome. Yes there are Pops. Yes there are military tactics to choose from. There are now separate Gods to choose from. The game is the same conquer as much as you can.

It is an improvement on Rome Gold. I have played both.

That's good to know. I'm hoping for that experience of the original with "more". But still being able to conquer!

Hopefully this weekend I'll buy it and give it a go!

Thank you!

I honestly dont know how can you play Eu Rome having I:R.

Its like playing Eu2 having EU4 or CK1 having ck3.

Eu rome is an unplayable mess.
Well, I personally started with I:R and ended up in playing EU Rome now. :)

I believe my problem with I:R is the overload of features with unclear effect. Instead of fixing the most terrible bugs, more and more complex mechanics was added. I have played over 70 hours meanwhile and still don't have the feeling that I fully understand whats the best way to achieve something. In addition I find some things (like much too high wages or illoyality/civil wars) so annoying that it severely affects my motivation to play.
EU Rome on the other hand feels for me just clearer - more sorted. Of course the graphics is outdated - but graphics is not so important for me.
You get money from taxes, trade and tribute and spend it on army, fleet and tribute. That's it.
Or you set up trade routes and get money and an effect. That's it. Is it really worth to dig into the really confusing capital bonus system of I:R?
Or in the Religions tab you chose the Omen and perhaps sacrifce to Gods. That's it. Is there any point in handling the Holy Sites of I:R?
Or you build something in your provinces to achieve different effects. That's it. Is there any point in having Provincial Investments in addition?
Weak points in EU Rome are Technology and Missions. You invest in Research to increase the chances to get certain inventions. But you can't chose directly any technology. And Missions are random (not scripted) which leads to some strange tasks sometimes.

Please don't get me wrong: Normally I am happy to work myself into deep mechanics. I loved to play CK2 (with many DLCs) for example. There every feature feels important and balanced. In I:R I have always the feeling I turn a knob and do not really have an idea if it is worth to do.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@unmerged(289059)
unmerged(289059)
If you need help with merging this old forum account in please lodge a support ticket at paradox.zendesk.com , thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I honestly dont know how can you play Eu Rome having I:R.

Its like playing Eu2 having EU4 or CK1 having ck3.

Eu rome is an unplayable mess.

I never played much of any EU games. I tried them but didn't really like the time period. I liked EU Rome because it felt kinda like a Civilization scenario with a much better war, battle, and peace mechanic.

I believe my problem with I:R is the overload of features with unclear effect. Instead of fixing the most terrible bugs, more and more complex mechanics was added. I have played over 70 hours meanwhile and still don't have the feeling that I fully understand whats the best way to achieve something. In addition I find some things (like much too high wages or illoyality/civil wars) so annoying that it severely affects my motivation to play.
EU Rome on the other hand feels for me just clearer - more sorted. Of course the graphics is outdated - but graphics is not so important for me.
You get money from taxes, trade and tribute and spend it on army, fleet and tribute. That's it.
Or you set up trade routes and get money and an effect. That's it. Is it really worth to dig into the really confusing capital bonus system of I:R?
Or in the Religions tab you chose the Omen and perhaps sacrifce to Gods. That's it. Is there any point in handling the Holy Sites of I:R?
Or you build something in your provinces to achieve different effects. That's it. Is there any point in having Provincial Investments in addition?
Weak points in EU Rome are Technology and Missions. You invest in Research to increase the chances to get certain inventions. But you can't chose directly any technology. And Missions are random (not scripted) which leads to some strange tasks sometimes.

Please don't get me wrong: Normally I am happy to work myself into deep mechanics. I loved to play CK2 (with many DLCs) for example. There every feature feels important and balanced. In I:R I have always the feeling I turn a knob and do not really have an idea if it is worth to do.

I like how Imperator adds a lot of depth and complication, whereas EU Rome gets kinda boring after the Punic wars and both games run into a brick wall of Yellow to the east. I think EU Rome could be modded and be just as good but the only thing I don't really like about Imperator is the graphics.

I much preferred EU Rome's bold and dark color scheme. I turned off all the graphics to low in Imperator and it's still annoyingly shiny. As you say EU Rome has clarity. And two weeks into Imperator I am still randomly clicking buttons because the pictographs just make little sense.

I don't like pastels and brightness. It's pretty but not as functionally simple.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Funny you should say that because I had been playing EU Rome/VV Rome for many years finally almost getting bored with it and always wishing a new evolution of the game would come out? So when I:R came out I paid at pre-launch such was my enthusiasm and, whilst so many said "the games broken", at first I thought the original version of I:R a step up from EU Rome/VV Rome . . many will claim that was based upon desperation and looking through rose tinted glasses.

Roll the clock forward with several hundred hours of playing through the various upgrades and my frustration with v1.4.2 is that, even though I do make well grounded choices based upon my game experience, I always seem to find myself slowly losing a struggle of attrition that I cannot stop due to some part of the AI's Game Tech. When you know you're doing as best as any and you still see all the stats slowly sliding towards the abyss it DOES take away your enthusiasm for the game.

So recently I too reloaded EU Rome/VV Rome, still working on W10 v2004, and it was like coming home . . . and if that isn't a very sad review of where I:R is and where it's going then I don't know what is!

• 1Like
Reactions: