• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

XxJaumV2xX

First Lieutenant
50 Badges
Aug 20, 2012
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Prison Architect
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • 500k Club
Hello everyone, welcome to my Byzantine AAR. There has been many like this, but hopefully this one will be unique as I am starting in 867!
(This is NOT historical at all, this will be me writing history the way I want to <insert smiley face here/>)
Chapter 1: The defense of Sicily, Part 1: Introduction

'I'm a descendant of Augustus'- Basileios Makedon

Hello peoples of Paradox. Let me tell you a story of Basileios Makedon, and how he become the Byzantine Emperor.

The day of Coronation of Basileios Makedon
'Romans, lend me your ears. Fellow members of Byzantium. The time now calls for a ruler, a ruler who can restore order to the Byzantine Empire. One who can attack the heretic and heathen. And one who can make orthodoxy better than the other cross. And one who can have many children.

'Now the question is who should rule our glorious empire, and I see only one person fit. Me, I am descended from Augustus, ruler of Rome'.'I am actually a Roman-Hellenic Lunatic who wants power and babies' 'Makedon' is a Greek and Orthodox ed version of 'Octavius', so I ask now who is with me to restore glory to the empire'- and make lots of babies.

Alas Basileios Makedon was the Emperor of the Byzantines. However his reign was not peaceful already in 867 the Muslims were trying to take Sicily. Not on Basileios' watch.

8qWdBsz.jpg

What Basileios might describe as a sticky situation

Last edited:
Chapter 1, Part 2: The Plan.
(Note I am RPing as a Byzantine (Greek). Which basically means I am offence to all other religons and Cultures
Basileios told his generals of his plan: Get a massive doomstack and crush the silly Muslims. This was rejected as they didn't have enough enough boats thought the attrition would be too low. Instead the emperor selected over 9000 men and sailed them to Sicily.
owEHx1a.jpg

Chapter 1, Part 3: The beating of armies.

On the fifth of September 867 the Islamic army engaged with the Byzantine army. The Byzantines had numerical advantage, however the Emperor did not take the hilly terrain of Syrakousa. In the end it ended in a supreme Byzantine victory, routing the Muslims. The Emperor did not personally see the battle he was in the camp, in a tent for multiple hours at a time. When he exited the Basileios said 'Praise the Lord that was good Has it begun?'. The sentry later said it was over, the Emperor swiftly dived back into the tent.

EsjS1b1.jpg

to

AS92QFV.jpg

And alas the main Muslim army had been defeated.

Chapter 1, Part 4: Son and Sicily

(Basileios returned from Sicily to Constantinople)
On the 26th of December 867 a Son was born to Basileios, BITP and Strong the emperor he knew he was something special. To further cement his claim he was descended to Augustus he named his Son Augustus.
A royal statement was issued which said 'Damn, I knew it would happen one day. A glorious day for us, I say he will be a grand son.' And so feasting happened all through the Empire.

qComQFR.jpg

Meanwhile in Sicily, the Byzantine army had destroyed all of the Islamic army. Now the long, slow process of getting all of the Sultan's Sicilian provinces began. A diplomat from the Sultan offered a peace where everything would 'be as it was before'. However the Emperor rejected it due to him wanting money for a... secret.

onnPg0e.jpg

Chapter 2: Uneasy Peace, Part 1: Victory! And the secret

On the 1st of October 868 the Sultan signed a peace deal with the Emperor. The peace deal stated that:
The Sultan would pay compensation to Basileios.

Was little in the eyes of the world, it could easily be seen that now, the Emperor was now a truly loyal Orthodox, and because of that was considered more prestigious. In addition to that the world would view the Orthodox faith being stronger over the faith of Islam. Also the Sultan would know be seen as weaker and less pious. The Emperor would have liked more but Paradox haven't added war-goals <insert un-smiley face here/> His advisers said it was unnecessary. Due the Victory the Emperor ordered feasting and celebrating across the Empire. *Speech after winning*
'My fellow members of Byzantium, the Islamic faith said Sicily was theirs. GOD said that it was ours. This is why we will celebrate, unlike them WE fight for God and women, GOD is on our side and he will be if we remain true. This is why we celebrate. As GOD favors us' the Emperor shouted sparking applause and encouragement

A man out of the crowd said 'Feasting again? My coffers are empty and my belly full, take a break'

The Emperor shouted something in a strange language and a group of guards came. He said something again to them, and the bear-like warriors got the man to the ground and violently tickled his throat with a feather until he vomited.

Basileios laughed 'The old ways are the best, like the Gods when it comes to these fellows, eh? he said to the lead of the bear-like warrior.

The bear-like warrior grunted then left.

'Oh, did I mention my new friends, the Varangians. Norse warrior who fight like nothing you've ever seen. Recommended by my dear wife' the Emperor added.

Well that is my secret, the Varangians I wanted to enforce my demands to have enough money and prestige to buy them.

Varangians:

IFQTEzn.jpg

Victory:

s4fXhGK.jpg

Chapter 2, Part 2: Death and Plans

Alas on the 19th of December 871 Basileios' father Bardas died. He was a good man said Basileios, and went on to even say that Bardas inspired him to be Emperor. Basileios even went on to retire to from the bedroom!
At his personal service, Basileios, Marinos (Basileios' half-brother), all of Basileios' children and Bardas' final son, Isidoros (Age 2). All of them had words to say, Basileios' children said how he was a loving grandfather, Marinos talked about the loving father he had been, Isidoros, cried as Pacifiers hadn't been invented Isidoros cried as his father was gone at an early age. But no speech was as memorable than the Emperor's:

'Dear Father,

You depart this world knowing you have left loving sons, and crying grandchildren. However to me you were more than that you were a figure that I could look up too, a figure who had infinite wisdom and a figure who guided me for life. I'll never forget you, your kinsman will never forget you. And the Empire will never forget you, to ensure the E Patriarch will Canonize you. You'll go down in history as more than the Father of the Byzantine Emperor'

Everyone gasped, Saint him? Was that sure a little too far. After all he never actually held any titles himself.
Basileios shushed this by saying

'A good Father is a saint to a family, the empire is a family'.

And with that the E Patriarch canonized Bardas and the family members tearfully said goodbye.

What a sad not to start on, anyways lets look at the map:
U1X21hP.jpg

If you are eagle-eyes you can see I've gained 2 more provinces, one peacefully, one through war. Not much going on hosted a tournament, just realm stability, I gave the Kingdom of Greece to a loyal vassal in the K.O.G who was a Doukas!

Just realm stability management and building my doom-stack of Cataphracts (Or Cataphractz for 6 year olds on Xbox).

That's all for today. More coming Tomorrow!

Chapter 3: I am guilty of Holy Warring, Part 1: The Great they say.

Well, on the 26th of January 872 Basileios declared war against the Sultan. Using Holy war as his Casus Belli, the Emperor thought if he gained these territories he could make himself the Despot of Sicily. But fierce resistance was expected from the Sultan.

9ww3sCU.jpg

Also as some historians would think a direct response to declaring war, Basileios was known as the great. A nickname he was keen to keep.

*A speech from Basileios' Palace about his new nickname and the war*

'Sons of Rome, we march now to rape innocent women reclaim the glory of Rome, by taking Sicily back from the infidels. Sicily is our birthright, as my ancestors held it long ago, so now I ask who is with me to retake it!' the Emperor said slightly increasing his voice at the end. It was followed by applause and cheers. 'Oh and you call me the great, you shall see how great I can be' Basileios said, and left with people chanting his name.

Chapter 3, Part 2: The Second battle of Syrakousa and an update.

Like many years before Skyrakousa was the grounds of a great battle. However unlike many years ago, the Emperor was attacking and the infidels defending, but like many years ago it was a glorious victory.

The progress in the war in Sicily is amazing, so far there has been no real resistance from the Sultan, (don't worry I am not complaining). So far I have my 2 stacks and I'm just assaulting provinces.

And 2 daughters, twins were born to the Emperor. A comment was received that the looked a lot like their Mother when she was a child. And Leon become 6 he was tutored in a school of diplomacy.

Chapter 3, Part 3: Peace in one war, a new opportunity arises.

And thus on the 15th of May, 873 the war ended in glorious victory for the Byzantines. There was now, no disputing that Basileios was the true Despot of Sicily, and so he made the Despotate of Sicily.

The title was given to the count of Syrakousa as a kind of 'payment' for waging 2 great battles on his lands. But the count just laughed and gave his utmost thanks to the Emperor.

Now as for the opportunity I was talking about, Tripolitania is fighting it's liege. I could holy war for them (1 duchy)

Chapter 3, Part 4: Holy war OP!

Well I have decided not to holy war Tripolitania as there is no point, I can easily just holy war them later and I have a strange feeling Egypt will join.

Instead I prey on the little Islamic states around my borders.

To:

Yeah I know there is a big difference in time, to make it harder I decided to only use my retinue and personal levies, yeah... In the end I just got a 20k stack and steamrolled. Also during the war the Emperor got ill (Don't fret he is fine now) but that didn't stop him from the bedroom as another daughter was born, named Konstantinas.

Now...

To:

Ahh look at that, the borders a lot nicer apart from the 50 shades of green to the south. That'll be fixed soon. Also my first daughter came of age, I (M) married her off to the son of Despot of Greece.

Oh and Prince Zenon was born, strong too

Chapter 3, Part 5: Kicking the Muslims outta my Armenia.

Let's start things showing the Despot of Anatolia out

Now the only duke level vassals I have are in the north east who fall under the Kingdoms of Croatia and Sebia.

Anyways, let's get down to business (To defeat the hu-un)

Damn those borders look nicer, I think there should be a CB: Make Borders Look Nice.
Anyways that made me closer to creating the Despotate of Armenia, so then I can just let the Despot reclaim de-jure territory (a good example would be Sicily).
Also one of the best things about doing this is it means I don't have a truce. So for a 2 province duchy the Sicily could take once province and I could take the other.

Back to Holy Warring:

(I accidentally deleted the picture of me declaring war)

Ta-Da!

All better.

Chapter 4: Damn that Doukas, Part 1: I knew it, I knew it!

Yeah, I knew this would be a problem, so let's try and make this better by excommunicating him <insert winking face here/>

Oops Silly Guards.

Now for the situation. (Anyone who writes references about The Jersey Shore will be annihilated by the Varangian Guard and my dear, dear Cataphracts)

My plan: Raise Levies, defeat armies, then take holdings.

Chapter 4, Part 2: The War is going well, and Leon!

Leon has pretty good Diplomacy, but that is about it.

While Stewardship is important, I think a whole Kingdom outweighs stewardship.

As for the War:

As you can see we a easily pushing back the greeks?

2 Diplomats came representing the Despot of Greece, proposing white peace. Basileios replied saying 'No, get out before I blind one of you and make you castrate the other'. This shocked even the cruelest courtiers in the Emperor's court.
The emperor replied saying 'YoloHe started this war'.
No-One dared say that the Emperor started it.

This, sir, is the reason why you shouldn't give out kingdoms in any empire.

And by the way, Leon isn't really your son. He's the illegitimate son of your predecessor Michael. If your other sons are good, you should have them succeed you.

Last edited:
Chapter 5: Making Borders Nice Part 1: Back to holy warring.

Well with that little problem over I think it is time to rid the map of that green colour.

Meanwhile Augustus comes of age, he has 'meh' traits. But is strong. I betroth him to the duchess of Spoleto.

All better

Now.

Meanwhile the Queen of Moravia comes of age.

And All better now.

Chapter 5, Part 2: The Annihilation of Green

I give you this

Damn, look at that West Francia. Well at least they have Gavelkind, so it'll be divided up. No, the King only has one son so it all goes to him. But do not fret I still have more men even the Umayyads do.

Anyways back to using Holy War as it I don't think it was intended to be used

Meanwhile,

The duchess of Galacia comes of age.

The borders are so much nicer.

Hmm who should I prey on next?
But wait I can create the Despotate of Syria!

It's given to a loyal vassal.