• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fiftypence

Debased coinage
35 Badges
Aug 19, 2004
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • For The Glory
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
Come and Take It! A Texas AAR

texas2.jpg

Stephen F. Austin, the father of Texas

It all started in 1824, when the newly free nation of Mexico became a republic under the new constitution. In the following years the Mexican government allowed Anglo-American immigration to the area known as Tejas, under the guidance of Stephen F. Austin, under the condition that they converted to Roman Catholicism, became Mexican citizens and adopted Spanish versions of their names. However, the newcomers soon became disillusioned with the Mexican government for a number of reasons. One was that Texas was not a state in its own right, but part of Coahuila, with the capital in distant Saltillo. Another was the ambiguous legality of slavery, formally abolished by the constitution but not widely enforced, and another cause for resentment was the seizure of power in 1833 by Santa Anna, who established a dictatorship, flagrantly ignoring the 1824 constitution, citing that the Mexican nation was not ready for democracy.

Austin and the settlers initially supported Santa Anna and his bid for power, and sent a petition to Mexico City asking for various things, especially for Texas to be separated from Coahuila. All the requests were granted apart from the main one, and not long after an angry Austin was arrested and imprisoned for sedition after a letter to a friend was intercepted by the central government.

He was freed 18 months later, and despite this the Texan settlers were not yet in full opposition to Santa Anna. It was never going to take much to incite revolution, and when the Texan settler Jesse McCoy was bludgeoned with a rifle by a Mexican soldier in an altercation, Austin saw no other choice but to rebel. He sanctioned for a consultation to take place in October, to discuss formal plans for a revolt

The first battle of the struggle against the Centralists was to take place at Gonzales, in October of 1835, before Austin's consultation could take place. Not long before Santa Anna had ordered the disarming of all state militias, and when Mexican troops demanded that the militias in Gonzales return a cannon given by the Mexican army several years before, the Texans were defiant and refused, challenging the Mexican army led by Castañeda to "come and take it". Castañeda did not rise to the challenge, instead leading his dragoons back to San Antonio. The Texan Revolution had begun.

texas1.jpg

The Texans were then victorious at Conception under the command of James Bowie (of Bowie Knife fame). However, the siege of Bexar, defended by Santa Anna's brother-in-law Marin Perfecto de Cos, saw the Texan force dwindle, as many of the volunteers got bored and left. The duration of the siege saw a lot of bickering between the Texan commanders, showing that Austin's talents lay more in politics than military command. Despite this the siege ended in December with the capture of Cos and what remained of his army. Rather naively, the Texans let him and the other Mexican prisoners go, after he was forced to promise not to fight against Texans again.

Back in Gonzales, a provisional government was established in November, not to be separate from Mexico but merely to oppose Santa Anna and his Centralists. Sam Houston was made commander-in-Chief of the regular Army of Texas, which currently consisted entirely on volunteers. Austin stepped down as a general on November 24th, and was replaced by Edward Burleston.

The Texans initial gains had been impressive, but as 1835 ended Santa Anna decided that now was the time to launch a major offensive and crush these Anglo upstarts once and for all. The volunteers of Texas would soon be facing the professional troops of the Federal army of Mexico.

texas3.jpg

In San Antonio there were two separate armies. There were 2097 under Col. James W. Fannin and 932 men led by Lt. Col. William B. Travis. The main body of the Army of Texas in Austin was led by General Houston, consisting of 5,126 troops in total. Scouts indicated that there were no Mexican armies in sight, but they were surely not far away.

Yes, it's me again. This will be an AAR of Texas, using 1.04 vanilla (which means it's going to be tough), Normal/Normal difficulty settings, no cheating. I may use some exploits if I can justify it in story terms, but I will try not to. My main goal is to survive, obviously, and to try and get the USA in a full alliance. If I do that, then my aims will be consolidation, to get my cores from Mexico and hopefully a bit more of the American West, and then possibly some islands in the Caribbean and a colonial empire.

Considering how you pulled off your Danish AAR, if anyone can succeed at Texas, im certain you can. Good luck surviving the intial onslaught, i'll be following

You've got yourself another reader here! My parents are from Texas and in the past year, my interest in Texan history is growing. This looks like it will be an amazingly good AAR.

I've wanted to write a Texan AAR myself, but I just can't win the war of independence. I ended up making a "clone" of the 1836 scenario with a few changes, including no war of Texan independene. Maybe I'll learn how to survive in vanilla from your AAR.

One question though, how deep into Texan politics are you going to get? For example, are you going to say for example, "Sam Houston is running for President with the Democrats while So-and-So is running with the This-and-Thats", or are you going to keep politics to a minimum in your AAR?

Very exciting! A Fiftypence AAR with Texas thrown in for the mix!

Most of my relatives are from Texas, too, so I naturally have some interest here.

Though, from the Texans I know, the title might more appropriately be called "Come and Get It!" (i.e. a Food Channel special) :p

Rensslaer

crusaderknight: ...but I just can't win the war of independence...

LOL! ! :rolleyes: neither have i been able to win that first war! !

i'm in! ! :cool:

Excellent but maybe you should wait for revolution's another week or two....

Looks very promising. As soon as Revolutions came out I was actually going to do a Texas AAR(my first ever) with the same title :rofl: . Oh well, back to the drawing board and good luck.

Wow, it's been a while since the last Texas AAR, wasn't it?

Hey, good luck with this. It'd be nice to see if any one can get a good game going as Texas. If it were me...I'd crash and burn as usual.

Well, unlike some posters, (Rennslaer ;) ) I AM STILL IN TEXAS,

So nothing short of complete world conquest will be acceptable ;) Assuming of course you survive the war for independance. Personally I think there should be en event scripted for the battle of San Jacinto because Texas was really losing the war until they got lucky at San Jacinto and captured Santa Anna.

Oh Well, Good Luck (your gonna need it)

And just out of curiosity, what is your plans for when the Civil War starts?

I'll keep an eye on this. :)

This looks really good, Fiftypence. *Subscribing*

Texas über alles! :D

Nice to see a Texas AAR instead of all these CSA, California, or Colorado (HINT TO RENSSLAER) ones. I forget if you can line up Texas' historical pre-annexation borders with the territories on the Vicky map though... If not, then I suppose taking the rest of Mexico's North American territories will have to suffice. ;)

It could be short, but knowing you I am sure you will pull this off. Somehow...

In my games of Vicky (of which im not very good cos I cant get a hang of managing "pops"/the economy - i often save, exit, start as another nation to sit on for one game month while the AI sorts my nation then save, save and then restart as my own nation again) I try to help Texas stay independent if I can - in my Austria game I went so far as to conquer it from the USA/Mexico when the two them were fighting over it; and then release it as a vassal.

I played texas once and the only way i survived was by cheating like buggery.

So good luck!

Maximilliano: I didn't really do much in my Danish AAR, apart from invade Sweden and expand a couple of factories. :D

crusaderknight: I think the politics of Texas at this time is fascinating, so it will definitely play a considerable role.

Bismarck1, Cinéad IV, Sir Humphrey, Fulcrumvale: Thanks!

Rensslaer: I couldn't possibly comment on that. :D

GhostWriter, Garuda, stnylan: I've done it before, so it's possible. It just requires a large amount of luck.

ComteDeMeighan: I thought about that, but decided to press on ahead anyway.

Jingles: Oh. Sorry about that. ;)

anonymous4401: It's been quite a while, definitely.

Quirinus308: I don't know, the Texans got lucky at San Jacinto, so having it fire every game would be rather unrealistic. As for the CSA, I'll probably just invade them, assuming they appear at all. ;)

dublish: I'm hoping I'll be able to get a nice slice of Mexico's territory.

bombshellboi: The AI Texas is pretty much always doomed, I've only ever seen them get a white peace once.

Sorry for the lack of individual replies in certain cases, but there were rather more responses than I was anticipating. :eek:

Come and Take It! A Texas AAR

texas7.jpg
Sam Houston​

January 2nd 1836
Washington-on-the-Brazos

Sam Houston inspected his army, and as he did he felt a great weight of responsibility resting upon his shoulders. Before him stood a rag-tag bunch of men, all volunteers, many not young or in their prime. There were about five thousand men in total, and Houston knew this would not be enough, not against the professionally trained Federal Army under the command of the hated Santa Anna. More men were needed, a lot more, and quickly.

But therein lay the problem. Over the last month the chief recruiting officer of the Army of Texas, Lieutenant Colonel William B. Travis, had been travelling all through Texas, trying to find men willing to sign up and enlist, and the report Houston had recieved was grim viewing. Less than a thousand men had volunteered, and many of them were not colonists but Tejanos, Spanish speakers, whom were distrusted and reviled by many of the Anglo settlers. Travis had also said he was currently awaiting further instructions in San Antonio, and asked for more men.

"At ease!" Houston barked, and with a wry smile he saw little difference in the men having issued the command. Discipline, morale and organisation, things any decent army needs, and something we sorely lack, he thought with a slight sense of despair. He watched as the soldiers returned to barracks, and nodded to Colonel Edward Burleson, who hurried over.

"Yes, general?" Burleson said, with bright eyed enthusiasm. He was a man approaching forty, with brown hair swept to the left and a strong Carolinan drawl.

"Edward, I want you to tell the men that we move out in a days time," said Houston, as they walked from the makeshift training ground to Houston's command tent. "We will make our way to San Antonio to meet up with Travis's force, and then I will decide what to do from there. Would you like a whiskey?"

Burleson nodded, drinking the golden liquid in one gulp, before starting back for the barracks. Houston stopped him, coughing loudly.

"I'm not finished yet. There is a special mission that needs undertaking, and I think you're the man for the job."

Burleson could not help looking slightly disappointed. "Will you not need me in San Antonio?"

"Eventually. But first, I want you to take a look at this map."

texas6.jpg

"The Colorado territory currently is disputed between Mexico and the US, Mexico's claim to the land being the presence of a trading post in Grand Junction and a mission in Denver. These are currently undefended, as far as we know. I wish for you to head north and take over these, to completely eradicate any kind of Mexican settlement in Colorado."

Burleson licked his lips in anticipation and nodded. "Of course, I would be proud to. But I will need a good amount of men, in case of Indian ambush..."

Houston nodded, "Of course. I want for you to make quick progress, so I will give you a thousand cavalry."

"Excellent," said Burleson, satisfied, "I shan't let you down."

***​

14th January
Nacogdoches

Travis's recruitment drive had been something of a failure, but maybe that was because he was offering nothing but death or glory, most likely the former. In Nacogdoches, a small, dusty frontier town in the east of Texas, the authorities took a rather more practical approach to things. It was late afternoon, and the heat of the blazing sun was just beginning to fade, and in the town hall a crowd of sixty five men had gathered, to volunteer.

Under the supervision of Judge John Forbes they were signing an oath. "I have taken the oath of government and have enrolled my name as a volunteer and will set out for the Rio Grande in a few days with the volunteers from the United States," one man wrote in a letter to his family back in the USA.

“What you signing up fer?” said a man named Michael Stanton to another, jovially. “I just wanna get my hands on that land. Five thousand acres for six months service, that‘s a real sweet deal.”

The other man nodded, replying, “Sure is.”

They strolled out into the centre of the town, to await further instructions. Stanton stroked his stubbly chin, frowning in thought.

“You from Tennessee too?”

“That I am,” said the other man. Stanton nodded.

“What brings you to Texas, then?”

“I just wanted to explore. But when I saw the poster offering the land, I thought to myself, that would be nice, settle down and raise some cattle or summin‘.”

Stanton nodded, “Six months ain’t too long, that’s for sure. My name is Stanton, by the way, Michael F. Stanton. You are?”

The other man paused, stroking his hair, before replying, “I’m David Crockett. You may have heard of me.”

An hour later they set out for San Antonio de Bexar, now soldiers in the Army of Texas.

-------

GAME NOTES

I set regular clothes to buy 10, but can't get any at the moment. I send 932 cavalry north to steal the Mexican claims, and move the rest of my army to defend San Antonio.

Last edited: